Notices

View Poll Results: Which is worse?
III 11 23.91%
ootS 35 76.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

TMNT III or Out of the Shadows, which is the bigger pile of crap?

So I can't quite decide which one is is worse.

TMNT III is hardly a good movie by any means. It's horribly paced, it's full of jokes that fall flat and the quality of the puppetry dropped quite signifigantly from the previous movies. The time travel mechanics are very poorly explained and the story is just uninteresting. However, I ultimately just find the movie really boring, it's certainly bad but all it does is make me want to fall asleep.

Out of the Shadows might technically win out in terms of special effects and technically having better pacing. However, unlike TMNT III, it doesn't just bore me. It actively made me angry watching it, in addition to being boring. The Turtles and April are more or less unchanged from the previous PD movie, which is hardly a plus. Shredder feels generic as hell. Krang comes out of nowhere, is given no explaination, is pretty cringeworthy and gets the big fight scene at the end despite barely being in the movie. Casey is a bland shell of himself. Then there's Bebop and Rocksteady, who might possibly be the worst characters in any TMNT movie ever and wish the movie's failure means we'll never see them in another movie ever again. The plot is pure nonsense, everything either makes you wish there was an explaination or the explaination is so stupid you wish there was none. The movie could possibly be a simulation of what it's like to experience hell.

So what do you think? Boredom or Anger? Which is worse?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

TMNT III was a bit of a slog, and the overall execution wasn't good, but there's still a little bit of heart to it. You can tell that a group of people who were lacking in money and technical skill really tried to make the best movie they could within the circumstances.

"Out of the Shadows" was nothing but a superficial fan-wank toy commercial, A-to-the-Z. No heart, no funk, no soul. Just 'Member Berries and Run D.M.C.

TMNT III frustrates me, and it's objectively not "good", but the BayTurtles films create a very real anger inside of me that III or even II fall short of.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

As a whole, I think tmnt 3 is better.

I really enjoy parts of Out of the Shadows such as those with Krang, Baxter, Bebop and Rocksteady.

But I have to sit through parts featuring Casey Jones, April and that lady officer, just to get to them, so its really a mixed bag.

Atleast the entirety of turtles 3 is more consistent.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The entire Uwe Boll collection, Batman & Robin, Gigli, Ishtar, + Son of the Mask > OotS
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Hands down, OotS is the worst movie of the two.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I voted incorrectly, I meant to say III: Turtles in Time was worse. Yeah OOTS has problems but at least following the story is more interesting than the snoozefest that is III: Turtles in Time.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Secret of the Ooze

To me, the worst is the Secret of the Ooze because it ruined the extraterrestrial origin of the mutagen. After all, that's what was supposed to be the secret (it could still have been an accident).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The original never said the mutagen was alien so it doesn't ruing anything, also the second one doesn't show if the scientist is really an Utrom, he was intended to be before the idea was scrapped but he could still be an Utrom and we just didn't see that happen in the film. Same headcanon says the time scepter from the third movie was held by Renet we just don't see her.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The original never said the mutagen was alien so it doesn't ruing anything, also the second one doesn't show if the scientist is really an Utrom, he was intended to be before the idea was scrapped but he could still be an Utrom and we just didn't see that happen in the film. Same headcanon says the time scepter from the third movie was held by Renet we just don't see her.
Jordan Perry doesn't need to be an Utrom himself, but he could have been their link to Humans (like April O'Neil is for the turtles).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #10
pferreira
Foot Elite

I voted wrong but I meant to choose OotS. In a way the PD sequel hangs together better than TMNT III however the third movie still exists within the original movie universe so it at least to some extent feels like a better movie. Plus III's location direction and cinematography is way better than OotS. I would say neither is the weakest TMNT movie, that honour goes to the first PD movie or the 2007 movie. III and OotS aren't great movies but there are things to enjoy in both.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #11
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Out of the Shadows is easily the worse movie of the two as TMNT III at least has this fun "so bad, it's good" quality to it like Batman & Robin does. I can laugh at TMNT III for its dumb rules for the time scepter, horrible puppetry and "made for TV" cinematography cause it's cheap and harmless.

Out of the Shadows is loud, noisy, has an expensive but a waste of money look about it and fundamentally breaks a lot of fun elements of TMNT lore.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
To me, the worst is the Secret of the Ooze because it ruined the extraterrestrial origin of the mutagen.
You mean you don't like that we all have animal DNA in us? Like, maybe I have trace amounts of dachshund.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You mean you don't like that we all have animal DNA in us? Like, maybe I have trace amounts of dachshund.
We share about 95-99 percent of our genes with a lot of ape and monkey species. 95% with chimpanzees and 97% with orangutans iirc.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
"mahhhhhh mannnnn"
Old 03-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
We share about 95-99 percent of our genes with a lot of ape and monkey species. 95% with chimpanzees and 97% with orangutans iirc.
But not rhinos and warthogs? Waittaminute here...
Old 03-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
But we don't have what's in that 1-5% remaining, nor does the monkey's have what we do, that's what makes us different.

The reason we humans, rhinos, warthogs, turtles and rats is because of divergent evolution. They can all be traced back to the same lifeform but the paths can't really remerge once they take on incompatible traits, that's when they become noticably different (like fingers and hooves).

The only way the movie's explaination makes any sense is if you don't think evolution works like tree branches, but rather like train tracks or adding ingredients to a soup.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #17
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
But not rhinos and warthogs? Waittaminute here...
We probably do, but dunno how much we share with them.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
We probably do, but dunno how much we share with them.
Not enough to grow horns or hooves. In fact, virtually no features emblematic of them would be present in human DNA.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #19
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Out of the Shadows is easily the worse movie of the two as TMNT III at least has this fun "so bad, it's good" quality to it like Batman & Robin does. I can laugh at TMNT III for its dumb rules for the time scepter, horrible puppetry and "made for TV" cinematography cause it's cheap and harmless.
Ooooo okay wouldn't go that far, all three movies you mentioned have good (positive) things about them but I respect where you're coming from.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

Did you seriously just imply there's anything good about "Batman & Robin"?

C'mon. COME ON.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote