The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #21
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Making a Donatello that can actually kick ass: FW Donatello is arguably the best iteration of the character.
Gonna have to disagree on this one. Mirage Donatello was just as strong as any of his brothers, and as strong (and in some cases stronger) than many other versions of the character
Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Making a Donatello that can actually kick ass: FW Donatello is arguably the best iteration of the character. He's not only a nerd but also has a temper and can fight.
Donatello didn't kick much ass in combat. He would just be big in his mouth, only to have his bo stick broken within the very next moment, while Leonardo and Raphael had to handle the situation.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
Gonna have to disagree on this one. Mirage Donatello was just as strong as any of his brothers, and as strong (and in some cases stronger) than many other versions of the character
Well I was mostly thinking of the Dons I've seen on TV iterations. 2k3 Don was alright but not that great of a fighter. Nick Don, from the little I've seen of him was basically him crushing on April in an awkward manner. And Corey Feldman's Donatello was annoying as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Donatello didn't kick much ass in combat. He would just be big in his mouth, only to have his bo stick broken within the very next moment, while Leonardo and Raphael had to handle the situation.
I mean, none of the FW Turtles kicked much ass in most episodes. They beat their enemies by throwing pizzas in their faces or something like that.

Donatello has a fun short fight with Shredder in the first Howie episode, btw.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #24
Overlord

Quote:
They beat their enemies by throwing pizzas in their faces or something like that.

Donatello has a fun short fight with Shredder in the first Howie episode, btw.
That was great because otherwise, seasons 4–5 suffered the most from censors (when the TMNT peaked in popularity).
Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #25
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Lots of people are perfectly fine putting their kids' toys in a box once they get to a certain point, looking back on them fondly but not still engaging with them on the same level as they did when they were children, and they don't feel that they, as adults, still have to display the same reverence for something they liked when they were eight that they did back then.
I'm finding the show is a lot better than I remember actually. But I'm happy to defend it as it's highly underrated creatively. I would definitely seethe show as B-tier quality which ain't bad considering most 80s cartoons were C-tier. I just hate people using the FW series as a toy commercial when animated series today are toy commercials. The last two TMNT series were toy commercials. The FW series was no different however it wasn';t nowhere near as bad as Transformers, something people like neatoman cannot comprehend because they weren't born and do not have the historical knowledge and context.

Quote:
The genius of Barry Gordon's interpretation was he brought a geeky snobbish frustration and overconfidence as well as sarcasm to the role. His Donnie is the most memorable by default because he stood out more. In comparison 2003 and PD Donnie are wooden geek stereotypes.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, I agree that all cartoons are to some degree toy commercials. I personally have never had any problem with that. I love toys, so yeah, sell me f*cking toys, cartoon shows. I ain't mad at ya.

I just find it rather silly when people try way too hard looking for depth in this or any show that isn't there by design. Anyone watching FW TMNT for the first time as an adult sees it exactly for what it is, while people who grew up with it subscribe all sorts of undue reverence and imaginary "depth" towards and upon it, whether it's earned or not. Is it a terrible, worthless show? No. But is it as good as most people remember? Not by half.

I mean, we've all done it. I grew up revering Thundercats, and I still love it to a certain degree, but man, Lion-O is a f*cking wimp and the plot of almost every single episode is him getting in over his head and crying for help until everyone else shows up and saves him. His catchphrase should have been "Thundercats, HELP!" instead of "Thundercats, HO!", because he was a goddamn bitch. I still like the show, and as a kid it was one of my very favorites, but I also can acknowledge when things haven't aged well, or weren't all that great in the first place.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #27
Overlord

Quote:
Well, I agree that all cartoons are to some degree toy commercials. I personally have never had any problem with that. I love toys, so yeah, sell me f*cking toys, cartoon shows. I ain't mad at ya.

I just find it rather silly when people try way too hard looking for depth in this or any show that isn't there by design. Anyone watching FW TMNT for the first time as an adult sees it exactly for what it is, while people who grew up with it subscribe all sorts of undue reverence and imaginary "depth" towards and upon it, whether it's earned or not. Is it a terrible, worthless show? No. But is it as good as most people remember? Not by half.

I mean, we've all done it. I grew up revering Thundercats, and I still love it to a certain degree, but man, Lion-O is a f*cking wimp and the plot of almost every single episode is him getting in over his head and crying for help until everyone else shows up and saves him. His catchphrase should have been "Thundercats, HELP!" instead of "Thundercats, HO!", because he was a goddamn bitch. I still like the show, and as a kid it was one of my very favorites, but I also can acknowledge when things haven't aged well, or weren't all that great in the first place.
If you ask for depth, don't watch or read children's cartoons and comics (which after all is what everything TMNT-related is except Mirage-Image).

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-15-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #28
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Agreed. I never watched Thundercats, but the Fred Wolf toon was one of my favourite shows growing up. Was the best show on the Den (Irish children’s tv strand) imo. I still like it, but I can acknowledge too that a lot of it hasn’t aged well, even though some of the humour went over my head as a kid.

I never watched Saved by the Bell when I was younger. I only watched it for the first time as an adult a few years ago and didn’t think much of it, so I might have had an similar experience with the TMNT 1987 if I never watched it as a kid.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #29
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Making The Shredder into a reoccurring threat opposed to first threat.
Shredder had already returned in the Mirage comics by the time the FW series aired.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #30
Overlord

Quote:
The FW series made him into one of the core villains of the TMNT property.
It also created the concept that Baxter Stockman must always be mutated, mutilated or stuck somewhere.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #31
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Shredder had already returned in the Mirage comics by the time the FW series aired.
April 1987 while the series premiered in December. I do wonder though if using Shredder in the five part series is what encouraged his return in #10 as it would have been in development.

Quote:
It also created the concept that Baxter Stockman must always be mutated, mutilated or stuck somewhere.
Baxter Stockman MIGHT have broke free of it with IDW, as the Batman crossovers don't count.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #32
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I'd give credit for expanding the mythos and cementing the Turtles as a cultural mainstay. It was the FW series that launched the TMNT into the limelight. A large chunk of what we get today is because the original cartoon became so popular.

I think the fact that the we're discussing this on a website called The Technodrome with an image from the FW series on the logo is testament to the impact this show had.

The toys were awesome, too. I remember getting the Turtle Blimp and the Party Wagon for Christmas. Those things were AWESOME. The action figures looked fantastic as well. I still have fond memories of them to this day.

I don't really buy toys anymore, but the closest I've ever come is a tie between the FW reissues, the NECA movie figures, and those awesome one's straight out of the comics.

It also bonds people. I remember playing Ninja Turtles every day for years with my friends. We would argue over who got to be which turtle. We would have to use our imaginations to create the weapons out of sticks and other doodads. I still imagine doing karate moves when I think no one's looking.

I think the FW series, for as corny as it is, deserves a LOT of credit for giving us something to talk about.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #33
Overlord

Quote:
April 1987 while the series premiered in December. I do wonder though if using Shredder in the five part series is what encouraged his return in #10 as it would have been in development.

Baxter Stockman MIGHT have broke free of it with IDW, as the Batman crossovers don't count.
I hope so. Reusing a Human and deadly Baxter Stockman with cool deadly plots is so much better than all Mad Scientist of the Week episodes (like Filo Sopho and Lloyd Cycloid).
Old 05-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #34
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I hope so. Reusing a Human and deadly Baxter Stockman with cool deadly plots is so much better than all Mad Scientist of the Week episodes (like Filo Sopho and Lloyd Cycloid).
We did not need all the different mad scientist and mob heads. It would have benefited by reusing the same ones building up threats. For example Big Louie could have overtaken Don Turteli's turf because his methods were outdated and seen the two of them as rival mobs like a Godfather type and a guy living up to a family's criminal legacy and needing to update his methods or else be swallowed.

Mad scientist? Not much to speak of. Sofo appeared twice, the others once? Mad scientist were more of a seasons 4 to 6 thing. I can understand the need for a reoccurring one, but outside of Baxter not one truly sticks out especially as a threat. That being said I can understand demutating Baxter. The 2012 cartoon did,but he never appeared again after that. I feel like it would reform him,but you never know.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #35
Overlord

Quote:
We did not need all the different mad scientist and mob heads.
I think we need at least:

Two extraterrestrial species (so they can fight space war with rayguns and spacecraft equipped with laser cannons and missiles against each other)

Two mob heads (so they can fight gangster conflicts against each other)

Two ninja clans from Japan (so they can be rivals)

Two mad scientists (so they can compete). Why not Baxter Stockman and his brother Barney?

Two New York City street gangs (so they can fight gang turf conflicts against each other)

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-17-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #36
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I'd give credit for expanding the mythos and cementing the Turtles as a cultural mainstay. It was the FW series that launched the TMNT into the limelight. A large chunk of what we get today is because the original cartoon became so popular.

I think the fact that the we're discussing this on a website called The Technodrome with an image from the FW series on the logo is testament to the impact this show had.

The toys were awesome, too. I remember getting the Turtle Blimp and the Party Wagon for Christmas. Those things were AWESOME. The action figures looked fantastic as well. I still have fond memories of them to this day.

I don't really buy toys anymore, but the closest I've ever come is a tie between the FW reissues, the NECA movie figures, and those awesome one's straight out of the comics.

It also bonds people. I remember playing Ninja Turtles every day for years with my friends. We would argue over who got to be which turtle. We would have to use our imaginations to create the weapons out of sticks and other doodads. I still imagine doing karate moves when I think no one's looking.

I think the FW series, for as corny as it is, deserves a LOT of credit for giving us something to talk about.
I agree with mostly everything Voltron said. If it wasn’t for the FW series, most of us probably would never have become big TMNT fans in the first place. Easy to forget with so many different versions of TMNT nowadays.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I agree with mostly everything Voltron said. If it wasn’t for the FW series, most of us probably would never have become big TMNT fans in the first place. Easy to forget with so many different versions of TMNT nowadays.
Yeah. If it wasn't for that series, TMNT would be known to only a very small percentage of the world population.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #38
Overlord

Quote:
Yeah. If it wasn't for that series, TMNT would be known to only a very small percentage of the world population.
It's true TMNT needed a more children- and family friendly cartoon and comic to become bigger. But could also have been another studio than Fred Wolf Studios, and another comic publushing company than Archie Comics
Old 05-17-2019, 04:22 AM   #39
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I think we need at least:

Two mob heads (so they can fight gangster conflicts against each other)

Two ninja clans from Japan (so they can be rivals)

Two mad scientists (so they can compete). Why not Baxter Stockman and his brother Barney?

Two New York City street gangs (so they can fight gang turf conflicts against each other)
That is what I envisioned above with Big Louie above and perhaps Don Turteli. I don't know about the rule of two for the other groups though. One street gang featured is enough. Mad scientist? Baxter is all you need.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 05-17-2019 at 12:04 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #40
Overlord

Multi-coloured bandanas. I don't know if it deserves any credit for that, it's just something we take for granted.

Splinter starting his life as Hamato Yoshi.