The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 07-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
TLP
Hench Mutant

Most visually inventive shots/moments/characters

Creativity-wise, this show is outstanding. You can tell a lot of effort was put into the art direction and animated cinematography.

Any visual cues stand out to you the most?

Hell, I'd say the entirety of "In Dreams" had some really neat imagery.
TLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, In Dreams is a good one. Forget which episode at the moment, but also quite like the fight on the roller coaster and the part in the spooky house. Mazes and Mutants and the Mondo episode as well, among others.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I like the shot of the lights going out when the turtles fight Tigerclaw in that one episode. Also the shot of them kind of descending into darkness when they got beaten by Shredder for the first time.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I like the shot of the lights going out when the turtles fight Tigerclaw in that one episode.
One of the best moments ever. So badass.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
OrangeNinja1987
Foot Soldier

I really like when they use darkness to their advantage in the final fight of "Mutagen Man Unleashed". They'd attack and then slip away unseen for the whole battle.
Most of the best shots in this show come from the fights. I've always liked the fighting cinematography in Mikey Gets Shellacne.
Lots of other great moments I can't think of at the moment.

For TMNT art and more, check out OrangeNinja1987 on Deviantart! http://orangeninja1987.deviantart.com/
To help with a current TMNT project: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=53441
Proud fan of the TMNT 2014 movie
OrangeNinja1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I remember Fungus Humungus having some particularly trippy scenes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:08 AM   #7
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

In New Friend, Old Enemy, that one part where the Turtles emerge from the water to ambush Bradford and his men was cool. And the red lighting was utilized quite well too.

It really felt like they were all, "You mess with our brother, you mess with the rest of us. And since you're in our turf, you won't win as easily."

Last edited by DarkLightDragon; 07-06-2015 at 05:14 AM.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #8
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Lots of good ones. Loved the sneaking into the shadows in "Mutagen Man Unleashed" and they've done that a few times before. Also some of those shadowy shots where they're on the roof are pretty good. The shot of them descending into darkness after The Gauntlet was very well done too. I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember them all.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #9
ShelleyQuick
Foot Soldier

There are so many beautifully animated scenes in this show it's hard to choose one. For me however, the snowfall in "The Invasion" was breathtaking(I don't know how realistic it looked seeing as I've actually never seen snowfall) nevertheless it was beautiful. I agree the scene where Leo and Raph are coming out of the water to face Bradford and Xever was chilling and beautiful.

ShelleyQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yes, the snow was very well done and Leo's fight scenes were great, too.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Look, I found a gif of what I meant.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Nice shot, Cure. I agree that that shot was very effective.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:53 AM   #13
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

there is one scene in a later season two episode in which leonardo is going to infiltrate shredder's den and he is landing on top of a statue or something.the foot soldier patrolling the roof doesn't see him if I remember correctly and the scene worked with lighting and especially SHADDOW on leonardo..
that one still stands out to me..

loved some of the dynamic in the fight scenes of never say xever and casey jones vs the underworld.
the moment when the guys silently glided through the air to the roof top of TCRI in the first season finale ( this one reminded me of old video games pre-boss fight moments..).

season 2 opener, when they shake loose the turtles wings (you know those batman glider thingies..) and use real ropes to swing athletically onto another roof top.

most of the times they are using these wings with tur-fly-tle I really love the shadows on them.kind of a sucker for thoseI think that really creates some exciting visual moments in the show...
also rise of the turtles the first snakeweed fight.snakeweed looked like he was executed via claymation, again thanks to a artistic use of light and shadows..

by the way I also REALLY enjoyed that rocky balboa scene with the fight of the turtles against tiger claw at the slaughterhouse!!very kooool
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 AM   #14
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyQuick View Post
There are so many beautifully animated scenes in this show it's hard to choose one. For me however, the snowfall in "The Invasion" was breathtaking(I don't know how realistic it looked seeing as I've actually never seen snowfall) nevertheless it was beautiful. I agree the scene where Leo and Raph are coming out of the water to face Bradford and Xever was chilling and beautiful.
really?we get lots of snow every winter, having been snowed in big time the past few winters...
I thought it felt poorly executed unfortunatelly...it was so shallow and light, didn't really get me at all;(:..
but I am glad you enjoyed it
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
jenna
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I like the shot of the lights going out when the turtles fight Tigerclaw in that one episode. Also the shot of them kind of descending into darkness when they got beaten by Shredder for the first time.
Yeah, both of these were beautiful.

There's a great moment in New Friend Old Enemy where Raphael, Leonardo and Donatello are whizzing through the darkness to rescue Mikey. They are just shadows, just the contours of their bodies highlighted by the moonlight.

Also... Never say Xever has a great shot of the turtles standing on the roof with the moon as a backdrop.

Oh! oh! And Mutagen Man Unleashed has a shot of three turtles in the dark on a fire escape and one of them is on the street lamp. Again they're just shadows with bright eyes.

Enemy of my Enemy has a lovely, moodily shot sequence at the docks. Grey skies, grey water. Brilliant.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:50 AM   #16
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior

Quote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps97aab4db.gif
Their eyes going white was what made that scene (guess that's sorta obvious, though).

I always loved the bit in "New Girl In Town" where Donnie does those acrobatics around the pipes & locks Snakeweed in place. The camera motion for that was flawless, one of my favorite shots for sure. "I'm coming for you, Turtles....YOU HEAR ME?! I'M COMING FOR YOU!!! "
Old 07-11-2015, 01:20 AM   #17
Nasubionna
Foot Soldier

Oh man, so many to choose from! Right off the top of my head, and what someone already kind of mentioned, is the scene in "In Dreams" where April starts to try and reach Donnie through his dream, by placing her hands on his head, and then she flies upward as Donnie drops down into darkness and then wakes up and begins running. I remember being really struck by that visual, such a creative segue from the real world into the dream world. The moment of comic book styling was inspired, too. Lots of great moments in that one, which should be expected when it's about dreams!

Someone also mentioned "Fungus Humongus". Again, lots of creative visuals. I really loved the look of when the huge, mean April of Donnie's nightmares speared him through the comic-book-looking heart and it shattered. A beautiful, non-gorey way to get the point across!

I was also really affected by Baxter, Steranko and Zeck's mutations. They were eerily portrayed, and felt so horrible, because they were basically forced into slavery and mutation by Shredder, unlike Xever and Bradford, who were already serving Shredder and got mutated on accident. The slo-mo explosion of the mutagen in Baxter's collar, and the contorted shapes of Steranko and Zeck through the mutagen tank glass… *shudder*

I also enjoy when they do the fun little comic-style moments, like when the turtles eat pizza gyoza for the first time and all their eyeballs popped out and skittered across the counter like ping pong balls, or when Mikey's brain exploded (I think this happened the first time he ate pizza? I can't quite remember, but that sounds likely!)

There are so, so many more, some of which have been mentioned already, but I'm tired and can't think of more right now. But one of the things that I LOVE about this show is all of the wonderful creative, beautiful moments.
Nasubionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #18
jenna
Mad Scientist

Quote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps97aab4db.gif
One of the best bits of that clip in the episode is that when the lights come back on the turtles have vanished. Frickin' awesome
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

I know it's only a little bit, but as time goes on, the metal on Shredder's helmet gets more and more life-like, giving it a lot more effect. One of my personal favorites is in the third act of Return to New York. Just the way the metal on the helmet reflects the light is just so effective!
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #20
TLP
Hench Mutant

The most recent episode was fantastic in the visual and sound department.

I'll admit this is probably the most creative-looking animated series in the 2010s.
TLP is offline   Reply With Quote