The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #101
sdp
Megan Fox = April

TMNT weren't the first anthropomorphic characters but it still created a demand for those type of shows/figures which other companies started to make their own or find properties that fit the TMNT mold.

No TMNT fad, little to no companies would take risks on similar properties or ideas.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #102
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most animal shows were comedy based though, like Hanna Barbera shows, or Tom and Jerry, or stuff like that.

I think TMNT was one of the first franchises to use animals as an action franchise.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #103
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
It would be funny if Nick accquired the rights to all the tmnt knock offs (Biker Mice, StreetSharks, Battletoads etc.) and then integrated them into the tmnt lore.
With Biker Mice it would work if Nick were presenting a Red Sky TMNT since both worlds are pretty much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I'd say it wasn't a knock-off, but I've always seen people compare Bucky Hare to Star Fox rather than tmnt.
The cartoon was made to cash in on the popularity of TMNT but the Bucky O'Hare comic does predate TMNT a little.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #104
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I was a little too old to enjoy TNM, but I still watched it and it was sort of a guilty pleasure.
The same by me. After all it was presented as a sequel to the movies I liked.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #105
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most animal shows were comedy based though, like Hanna Barbera shows, or Tom and Jerry, or stuff like that.

I think TMNT was one of the first franchises to use animals as an action franchise.
And it must have been the first major American or Western franchise to use martial arts, ninjas, Japanese mythology, etc. as a part of it. And this was back in the 80s, way before anime became as big worldwide as it is these days. Before TMNT there were Bruce Lee martial art films basically.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #106
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And it must have been the first major American or Western franchise to use martial arts, ninjas, Japanese mythology, etc. as a part of it. And this was back in the 80s, way before anime became as big worldwide as it is these days. Before TMNT there were Bruce Lee martial art films basically.
Really? What about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate_Kommandos

But yeah TMNT was major when it came out compared to Chuck Norris' cartoon series.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:03 AM   #107
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Really? What about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate_Kommandos

But yeah TMNT was major when it came out compared to Chuck Norris' cartoon series.
Only 5 episodes long? Must not have been that successful/big. Also, TMNT had anthropomorphic animals, while that cartoon you listed had human beings. So the Turtles were definitely something new for their time.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #108
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Only 5 episodes long? Must not have been that successful/big. Also, TMNT had anthropomorphic animals, while that cartoon you listed had human beings. So the Turtles were definitely something new for their time.
Yeah I agree totally.