The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #121
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Really? With your closer proximity to Austin, I'd have thought you'd be right in top of it. I mean, Dallas and Tarrant counties (and Parker, Denton, among others) have all been put on almost total shutdown. Only "essential" businesses are even allowed to stay open, people being told to shelter in place, etc. It's eerie how dystopian and despotic things are starting to look. Shades of 28 Days Later and 1984 mash-up with Contagion and Hunger Games type scary.
There have actually been some new media shakeups in Austin this last year. My main two sources of truthful media (people who say what they actually believe, unpopular or not, and not what ratings want) were severely gutted. One was canceled, the other was neutered and just talks about food most of the time now.

Since then, I haven't bothered keeping current on $hit. My company actually has been my main source of info in the Corona Apocalypse.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #122
frank_one
Mad Scientist

In the next hours USA will be the country with most cases in the world, surpassing China and Italy.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #123
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
In the next hours USA will be the country with most cases in the world, surpassing China and Italy.
That's what we get for laughing and ignoring it for 2 extra weeks. Not us-us but enough of us.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #124
frank_one
Mad Scientist

God bless you all, american fellows. New cases today mean new deaths in the next weeks. Stay safe, stay strong.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #125
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Enough Tommy. Some people can maintain their faith AND social distance.
I dont want to have to lock another coronavirus thread...although if this is where you get your news...man.

Next time it may be time for some forum based social distancing.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Old 03-27-2020, 01:05 AM   #126
Leo656
The Franchise

Managed to go grocery shopping earlier. Broke now for a few days, but it's not like I'm going anywhere. The Shop-Rite over here was surprisingly well-stocked; granted, I wasn't looking for toilet paper, so I didn't notice the situation with that, but I was able to get everything I needed except Macaroni and Cheese. Not a single box in the place except for one box of Kraft White Cheddar and a few boxes of Velveeta Shells & Cheese. I've tried Velveeta Shells multiple times and I just find them gross; guess I'm not the only one. But I can do without mac n cheese for a few days until the wife goes to CostCo or whatever.

They had TONS of meat products, both fresh and packaged, so that was good. Kinda needed that morale booster after reading all the horror stories in the news about empty shelves; I confess that I'd kinda been putting off going because I was concerned they'd have slim pickings and really didn't want to go out for no reason. But her mother went there earlier and said they were jammed with stuff, so figured might as well get it out of the way. We'll be set on food for a few weeks so all's well on that end.

Surprising number of people there, kinda, but not mobbed. No lines or anything; self check-outs moving smooth, everyone keeping respectful distance. Most people had gloves on; I'd say about half the people had masks, mostly older people. Again, it was nice to see things running fairly-smoothly despite the stuff in the news.

I'm just gonna be nervous now since we had to go out, but really didn't have much choice. Hopefully we'll be alright.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 03-27-2020, 02:16 AM   #127
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya I went out to the groceries yesterday. It was stocked just like normal except for specific items having a limit and the toilet paper was gone. Maybe it was worse at first.

I really did not want to go out though. My sister has been helping by bringing extra stuff when she goes out but she’s just as vulnerable to get it and bring it here so it doesn’t really matter.

They say it could take 2 weeks to feel symptoms or you might not feel any at all. I’ve tried to put it aside because when I really think about it creeps me out.

I don’t think gloves help much. Everyone is breathing on everything anyway. Masks I understand but a full hazard suit would be perfect.

Might sound silly but everyone should just wear a complete hazard suit and only go out for absolute necessity. I hear the news in the background about people still going to parks and entertainment places...it’s just ridiculous. How does that outrank the virus?

I realized it hasn’t even been a month that the outbreak started here in the US. It’s still at least a year for a vaccine. I know any breakthrough would be good though. Anything that stops you from dying even if it’s not a proper vaccine.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:45 AM   #128
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Well, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has now tested positive
Old 03-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #129
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Prepare for ventilator shortages. News coming out that Trump may deny state requests for aid.

Pray that you don't get this thing, because if you do, you got a death panel waiting.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:41 AM   #130
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yeah, our Lt Governor made some awful comments about "old people will be happy to die to keep the economy going ", or something like that. Makes me sick to think of what kind of people we have in charge of the country/states right now. Gonna do my best to rectify that come November, if they don't somehow find a way to delay or outright nix the election.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
Old 03-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #131
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

EPA regulations are suspended indefinitely. Fascists are really going whole hog with this crisis.

May want to hold your breath and stock up on potable water.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #132
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Prepare for ventilator shortages. News coming out that Trump may deny state requests for aid.

Pray that you don't get this thing, because if you do, you got a death panel waiting.
there is gonna be so much blood on Trump's hands once this thing is all over its unbeliveable
Old 03-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #133
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
there is gonna be so much blood on Trump's hands once this thing is all over its unbeliveable

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 03-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #134
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Yeah, our Lt Governor made some awful comments about "old people will be happy to die to keep the economy going ", or something like that. Makes me sick to think of what kind of people we have in charge of the country/states right now. Gonna do my best to rectify that come November, if they don't somehow find a way to delay or outright nix the election.
How did people ever become so callous and self centered? It's like the fact that these are people's loved ones, who they can't even BE with when they die of it because they may get it too (let alone be able to have a proper funeral!), doesn't even cross their ignorant minds. And some of those deaths aren't even old people.

I mean, okay, asshats like that have always existed, but my god... just openly public now? It doesn't really matter what such jerks think privately behind closed doors if they aren't doing anything that hurts these people, but too many idiots seem to believe these days that all of their thoughts need to come out of their mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I don’t think gloves help much. Everyone is breathing on everything anyway.
Yeah, haven't seen much of the point of gloves either. If you don't have hand sanitizer to use in public, okay, maybe, but if someone is NOT in the habit of keeping their hands away from their face they may still just automatically go and do it and with any luck that virus is on those gloves.... and everything those gloves have come into contact with and spreading far and wide.

Twice I was offered gloves while at work, from a fellow vendor at Walmart and a post office employee, but I have a job that would be kind of difficult, or at the very least become frustrating, with gloves on. I've always kept hand sanitizer on hand though, so luckily I wasn't short on any.

The things that make me a little more concerned are things like, say... hair. Supposedly viruses don't live that long on hair, but who knows how long exactly. It's not like most of us can just take it off at home and at night, esp if it's long... hopefully it isn't lurking in there when you're sleeping with your face in it or hair to pillow transference of any length... Someone needs to invent a hair-friendly disinfectant you can brush through it, esp for those for who it isn't realistic to be washing it every day.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-27-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #135
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
That's an interesting thought. We have to keep ours up because food, but I wonder how others would deal with it. And I concur about the gloves, my job is much harder than it needs to be with them on. Working with money while wearing gloves is like trying to sew with your hands in sandwich bags. Not impossible, maybe, but certainly not efficient. I gave up on it, and just use the sanitizer dispenser frequently.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
Old 03-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #136
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
The things that make me a little more concerned are things like, say... hair. Supposedly viruses don't live that long on hair, but who knows how long exactly. It's not like most of us can just take it off at home and at night, esp if it's long... hopefully it isn't lurking in there when you're sleeping with your face in it or hair to pillow transference of any length... Someone needs to invent a hair-friendly disinfectant you can brush through it, esp for those for who it isn't realistic to be washing it every day.
How about taking shower when at home?
Old 03-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #137
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

The USA is a big country. The odds were always high for us being number 1. Now I seeing news reports of young healthy people dying that had no other problems. A heathy dad and a 12 year old girl.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #138
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've been following this site I put below for awhile. 27,000+ deaths worldwide. The good thing (well, I suppose relatively speaking), is that 90% of the deaths are people aged 80 or above. And then 70+ year olds.

So it's people at the end of their natural lifespans. If it was all young people dying this would be really worrisome. But if you look at this:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Most people dying are 70-80+ year olds. So at the very least it's not something most people will die from.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #139
frank_one
Mad Scientist

You're right, the virus mostly kills old people, BUT it makes more difficult to people with other diseases and problems to obtain proper medical care. You break a leg, you call an ambulance but the ambulance doesn't arrive because it is going to take a person with coronavirus, not a big deal, right? But what if you have an heart attack, you call the ambulance and it doesn't arrive because it's busy somewhere else? You die.
So yes, the virus kills only old people, but it makes hospitals full, and doctors busy, it puts the healthcare system of a country to its knees thus indirectly killing people not affected by the virus.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #140
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I've been following this site I put below for awhile. 27,000+ deaths worldwide. The good thing (well, I suppose relatively speaking), is that 90% of the deaths are people aged 80 or above. And then 70+ year olds.

So it's people at the end of their natural lifespans. If it was all young people dying this would be really worrisome. But if you look at this:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Most people dying are 70-80+ year olds. So at the very least it's not something most people will die from.
The fact that it worse affects older people is not a good thing. Surely we should be doing everything we can to protect the older generation from this not breathing a sigh of relief and shrugging our shoulders and think "ah well they had a good innings".

Also younger people can die from this even healthy ones without pre-existing conditions and while cases vary with some mild they can get extreme symptoms too. It doesn't sound like the kind of virus you'd want to have just to get it over with. It can make living hellish for a long time.
Closed Thread