The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 11:51 PM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think anyone is doing that, or at least I HOPE not. But on FB and elsewhere I see tons of people who need to vent, and for a lot of people here this is probably the place where they feel the most comfortable doing so, for one reason or another.

But yeah I don't think this is where anyone is getting their Updates on the situation. That would be pretty ridiculous.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2020, 11:54 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Yo, let's be real. I don't have anything against this thread, but people should absolutley not be coming to a website like this for their ****ing global news.
I was going to say the same thing.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yep, it's happening. I work for Marriott.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/marriot...se-11584834631
Old 03-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise

Tough break man. Really sorry to hear.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 03-23-2020, 12:35 AM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Tough break man. Really sorry to hear.
Fingers crossed for an actual furlough and not just plain layoff. That may be a lot hairier to come back from.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:01 AM   #46
TommyT
Banned

Looks like Ottawa is in bad shape. Officially we have 27, and unofficially

Quote:
Dr. Etches estimates there are now 4,000 cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa, based on modelling data and the rate of transmission.

“Because most cases are mild and undetected, I want to emphasize the importance that everyone needs to treat all interactions with others as a potential source of transmission of COVID-19,” said Dr. Etches.

“At this time, I’m asking that all people ensure they are practicing social-distancing, to the greatest extent they can.”

Dr. Etches says social-distancing is important for everyone, especially for people over the age of 55.

“Talking to your supervisor, manager, employer about how you can work from home, if possible. It means avoiding visiting older friends or relatives. Using phones, video chats, social media to stay connected, unless a visit is absolutely essential.”

Estimated 4,000 cases

The Medical Officer of Health said Sunday that based on modelling data and the rate of transmission, “we now estimate there may be up to 4,000 cases of COVID-19 in our community.”

Dr. Etches warned the forecast for infection shows a doubling in the number of cases in Ottawa every three days.

“The doubling time, we’re seeing is sometimes down to three days, every three days now. By this time next week, it could be 16,000” cases in Ottawa.
16,000 expected by next weekend. If 27 means 4000, then in the US, I can’t imagine.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:26 AM   #47
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

It's weird to watch the panic set in like this. I live abroad and everything is running like clockwork here. The virus dominates the news, but the country closed some schools. Obviously, there's concern over whether a lack of quarantine is a good idea. So far, we haven't had a mass deaths like Italy, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure
Yo, let's be real. I don't have anything against this thread, but people should absolutley not be coming to a website like this for their ****ing global news.
Amen, brother.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:53 AM   #48
newfan
Mad Scientist

Maybe the title should just have the virus name, I don't feel the intent was to be a news source but more to talk given the impact on everyone.
Andrew very sorry to hear about your job.

Last edited by newfan; 03-23-2020 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:57 AM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Maybe the title should just have the virus name, I don't feel the intent was to be a news source but more to talk given the extent of the impact on everyone.
Andrew very sorry to hear about your job.
As of right now I still have it. But I fully expect to arrive to horrible news this week.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:15 AM   #50
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So why does Italy now have the highest death toll of the virus? It just recently passed China and it's crazy how many people are dying there. But why Italy of all places? Out of all the European countries people are dropping like flies there...it's very strange.
Oldest by average age population in Europe combined with a still relatively large smoking demographic. Also I don't believe the Chinese figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Yeah my store does have a Drive Thru. It was take away only, customers could use the Drive Thru or come into the store to order but they couldn't sit down. Even with those new rules, we were still busy. The Corona Virus wasn't keeping people away.
Yeah after I replied I went to have a look, and yeah all restaurants fully shut from 7pm last night. Wonder if BK or KFC will see an upturn in deliveries?
Old 03-23-2020, 05:22 AM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kind of ironic every sci-fi movie you ever watched about a disease that wipes out half of mankind is so eerily similar to what is happening now. Of course thankfully most people are not dying from Coronavirus and the death toll is only at 7,000 at the moment compared to the 70,000+ that recovered from it, but the whole thing with quarantine zones and how quickly it spread across the globe is scary.

All this proves is if there really was a deadly disease in real life that had a 70%+ fatal rate, the entire human race would be effectively screwed. Every sci-fi movie you ever watched about half the human race being wiped out by a disease would come true. The sci-fi dystopian writers were right.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:24 AM   #52
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I'm not sure we should be that surprised. This has happened more than a few times in human history. It will certainly happen again. Doctors have been sounding the alarm about the growing ineffectiveness of antibiotics. Bill Gates made the rounds a few years ago criticizing our inability to handle this exact situation.

That goes for every other rare but known disaster. Just wait until a comet slams into an urban center or a solar flare takes out our power grid. We'll be just as shocked despite having known full well this stuff is out there and waiting to happen.

As a species, we are awful at long term planning.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #53
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I'm not sure we should be that surprised. This has happened more than a few times in human history. It will certainly happen again. Doctors have been sounding the alarm about the growing ineffectiveness of antibiotics. Bill Gates made the rounds a few years ago criticizing our inability to handle this exact situation.

That goes for every other rare but known disaster. Just wait until a comet slams into an urban center or a solar flare takes out our power grid. We'll be just as shocked despite having known full well this stuff is out there and waiting to happen.

As a species, we are awful at long term planning.
I mean all this pretty much proves we'd be too busy laughing at and ignoring the signs of disaster until it's too late.

Like if Godzilla attacked Japan there would still be people saying "whatever that's in Japan, not here's or "it's just one giant lizard, not like there's tons of em, I'm sure the military will blow it up'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #54
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
It's weird to watch the panic set in like this. I live abroad and everything is running like clockwork here. The virus dominates the news, but the country closed some schools. Obviously, there's concern over whether a lack of quarantine is a good idea. So far, we haven't had a mass deaths like Italy, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Amen, brother.
Living abroad? As in the UK?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #55
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I mean all this pretty much proves we'd be too busy laughing at and ignoring the signs of disaster until it's too late.

Like if Godzilla attacked Japan there would still be people saying "whatever that's in Japan, not here's or "it's just one giant lizard, not like there's tons of em, I'm sure the military will blow it up'.
A lot of people would be preparing for the disaster but they'd be called people making a panic over nothing, we'd probably have branches of government warning our leaders who would probably deny it as a hoax (while making sure to do things to save themselves and their investments), we might even have disaster response teams (probably underfunded and possibly disbanded by inept leaders) set up for just such an occasion not be put into use, and then once the disaster was at our door, there would still be people denying it or expecting some magical solution.

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. Very important person in the state. High ranking government official. Hugely influenced policy. When discussing the potential impact of humans on the environment, he had one solid belief: Humans probably were contributing hugely to the climate change, but by the time we'd wrecked the planet completely we'd find a new planet to move to.

Yes, this person seriously believed that we'd just find a new planet and we'd move our entire civilization there as our planet burned up. Forget all the logistics involved and the near improbability such a thing would be possible, it was clearly to him, the most logical way to deal with climate change, rather than, you know, try and save the planet we're on.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #56
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post

What this really proves is that we need a broad spectrum viral cure to change the paradigm completely, much the same way penicillin was a shift that made bacterial illness widely manageable.

We should be reducing testing regulation and funneling tons of money into more things like broad spectrum viral cures, especially those which have some track record of viability.

-waits for some keyboard dweller to lecture me on how a virus works. This is gonna be good-
Old 03-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #57
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
What this really proves is that we need a broad spectrum viral cure to change the paradigm completely, much the same way penicillin was a shift that made bacterial illness widely manageable.

We should be reducing testing regulation and funneling tons of money into more things like broad spectrum viral cures, especially those which have some track record of viability.

-waits for some keyboard dweller to lecture me on how a virus works. This is gonna be good-
But there’s then the issue of convincing the tinfoil crowd it isn’t a mindcontrol pill.

You’d have the anti viral doomsayers, lobbing for virus rights.
I mean viruses are people too.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #58
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

My state just closed schools for the remainder of the year! Next week district administration will devise a distance learning plan for the last seven weeks. I still need internship hours with the degree I am going for. This distance learning crap hopefully will get me a waiver on hours that I need.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #59
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
But there’s then the issue of convincing the tinfoil crowd it isn’t a mindcontrol pill.

You’d have the anti viral doomsayers, lobbing for virus rights.
I mean viruses are people too.
It's also the issue of convincing the average Joe that this isn't a tinfoil hay issue but the real deal too.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #60
Vicky82
Emperor

UK on Lockdown for 3 weeks

We can leave house for food shopping, medical needs, exercise.

Can go to work if it's absolutely necessary.

Can't be with more than 2 people outside.

Closed Thread