The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #21
funatic
Mad Scientist

Heh. Looks like I missed it again! Probably for the best because I know I'd cave for one of those artist proofs, as they seem the best value for what you get.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I really wanted one if the aps but couldn't justify it
I should have gotten one looking back at it
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 AM   #23
Btown
Hench Mutant

really kicking myself for not getting the AP right away. Though it is hard to justify that kinda money on this. I just love Stans work and would love something like that on the box.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #24
Powder
So tired of this place

I dunno if his rates have changed but from my experience you could just outright commission a fully inked single character piece on card stock for less than the asking prices of the sketched figures. Better deal IMO, assuming the art aspect is what's really drawing you in. Granted you'd need a stateside friend to pick it up at a con & then ship to you, but still.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #25
funatic
Mad Scientist

I got his rates in 2016 and I believe it was minimum $200 for a fully inked single character commission, but he also sometimes offers usagi sketches (similar to these artist proofs in quality and his personal choice of what to draw) for around $80 at cons if he's not too busy. Would be nice if he did some for a similar price every now and then online. While I love what he's done on the artist proof boxes it is a bit weird to have the background art obscuring his own.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:22 AM   #26
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
That's up to the copyright owner, not you. They have complete say over how it is used except in "fair use" scenarios which would not include ones which involve profit. If they say stop using it, that's the end of the story for you.
Sure, but it's also standard affair on eBay to use promo pictures and stock photos.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #27
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Sure, but it's also standard affair on eBay to use promo pictures and stock photos.
It's a gray area which would have required him to get a lawyer. And for what? He can't know which buyers are going to put this up on the after market. I did it first to try to get a jump on everyone else, but took it down until I can take my own picture (assuming my order doesn't get canceled, either TMNTfannumerouno is just trying to blow steam up my a$$, or people who know my actual name are trying to get my order canceled). I don't care. The earliest orders will probably ship first, which means it is probably too late anyway.

His stock photo was taken for his own purposes, not for retailers to use, so it isn't like NECA's 1:4 scale figures or something like that. When production runs are huge, stock photos are pretty much free for public use. In this case, I just took the listing down since I should have my figure by Monday or Tuesday anyway.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #28
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I dunno if his rates have changed but from my experience you could just outright commission a fully inked single character piece on card stock for less than the asking prices of the sketched figures. Better deal IMO, assuming the art aspect is what's really drawing you in. Granted you'd need a stateside friend to pick it up at a con & then ship to you, but still.
According to his website commissions are closed. His stated rates are...

“Quick Sketch: $100 Only of Usagi, no requests. On 6x9" Bristol or in your sketch book.”

“Standard Commission: Starts at $250. Includes finished ink drawing, black and white on Bristol 9x12"- single character.”

“Watercolor: Starts at $600
Included is either pencil and/or ink, followed by watercolor on 6x9" Bristol - single character.”
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #29
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I don't typically get commissions but aren't those prices a lil ridiculous
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #30
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
For a little comparison here is a quick copy&paste from Jim Lawson’s website. His stated rates are...

“BLACK AND WHITE, SINGLE FIGURE
$120
BLACK AND WHITE, TWO FIGURES
$200
BLACK AND WHITE, THREE FIGURES
$250
BLACK AND WHITE, FOUR FIGURES (GROUPSHOT)
$325
COLOR, THREE FIGURES
$300
COLOR, FOUR FIGURES (GROUPSHOT)
$400”
Old 12-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #31
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
For a little comparison here is a quick copy&paste from Jim Lawson’s website. His stated rates are...

“BLACK AND WHITE, SINGLE FIGURE
$120
BLACK AND WHITE, TWO FIGURES
$200
BLACK AND WHITE, THREE FIGURES
$250
BLACK AND WHITE, FOUR FIGURES (GROUPSHOT)
$325
COLOR, THREE FIGURES
$300
COLOR, FOUR FIGURES (GROUPSHOT)
$400”
Thanks for the comparison dude
Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #32
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the comparison dude
No problem dude.
I’d like to see other rates too but not sure how to find them.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #33
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Short answer is no.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #34
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Maybe to some but it seems to be a lil price gouging to me
I mean I guess it depends on how long the average commission takes to get an hourly rate on this and then it's make more sense to me I suppose
But thanks for your input
Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Scalpers are the scum of the industry.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #36
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
It's a gray area which would have required him to get a lawyer. And for what? He can't know which buyers are going to put this up on the after market. I did it first to try to get a jump on everyone else, but took it down until I can take my own picture (assuming my order doesn't get canceled, either TMNTfannumerouno is just trying to blow steam up my a$$, or people who know my actual name are trying to get my order canceled). I don't care. The earliest orders will probably ship first, which means it is probably too late anyway.

You outed yourself by listing this on ebay. If your order does actually get cancelled it will be through no ones fault but your own.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #37
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Maybe to some but it seems to be a lil price gouging to me
I mean I guess it depends on how long the average commission takes to get an hourly rate on this and then it's make more sense to me I suppose
But thanks for your input
I mean, to put it into perspective: Commissioned art is a luxury. You are not only paying them to make the artwork, but for their education, experience, material cost, time, name brand, exclusivity of a one-of-a-kind artwork.

The artist do have to put aside their own work and enjoyments work on someone's commission , and it'll cost to use materials of the artist uses traditional art, or down payment for the digital tools.

And Sakai isn't a starving artist on DeviantArt that's been bullied to do 60 hours + work that'd put the Sistine Chapel to shame for mere $10, or worse for "exposure". The guy can charge a fair price for his time, talent and experience. Plus he doesn't live by commission by commission, so he doesn't need to entice people by offering artworks for peanuts to make the ends meet.

A friend of mine do commission work for $600 a piece, and he finds work just fine as people who want his art are willing to pay for it.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #38
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I mean, to put it into perspective: Commissioned art is a luxury. You are not only paying them to make the artwork, but for their education, experience, material cost, time, name brand, exclusivity of a one-of-a-kind artwork.

The artist do have to put aside their own work and enjoyments work on someone's commission , and it'll cost to use materials of the artist uses traditional art, or down payment for the digital tools.

And Sakai isn't a starving artist on DeviantArt that's been bullied to do 60 hours + work that'd put the Sistine Chapel to shame for mere $10, or worse for "exposure". The guy can charge a fair price for his time, talent and experience. Plus he doesn't live by commission by commission, so he doesn't need to entice people by offering artworks for peanuts to make the ends meet.

A friend of mine do commission work for $600 a piece, and he finds work just fine as people who want his art are willing to pay for it.

Didn't stan used to do free or at least low cost sketches for fans back in the day? I think the way I was told was he only started charging after scalpers started making bank on these. So yeah basically a few bad apples ruined it for everyone.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #39
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:

In a way scalpers keep the prices higher. I mean a well known artist could do commissions for a lot less. Giveback to the fans with very limited funds. The artist would be drawing anyway. Not like they would give up on art. But then you would have scalpers taking up all their commission slots and reselling the art. With higher prices it’s difficult to resell I imagine. You know flipping a $40 commission might be easier than trying to flip a $600 custom work. Just my opinions though.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #40
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
You outed yourself by listing this on ebay. If your order does actually get cancelled it will be through no ones fault but your own.
I had someone else order mine for me.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote