The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you worried for Walt Disney Studios buying so much of the entertainment industry?
Yes 10 37.04%
No 11 40.74%
I don't care 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Are you worried that Walt Disney Studios buys so much of the entertainment industry?

Are you worried about Walt Disney Studios buying so much of the entertainment industry? They have purchased Marvel Comics, Lucasfilm, Pixar Animation Studios, 20th Century Fox Film and 21st Century Fox and I wouldn't be surprised if they buy Nickelodeon one day, making the TMNT a Walt Disney Studios property if they're still under Nickelodeon's control that day.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/15-...s-owned-disney

https://screenrant.com/disney-owned-...erties-trivia/

Are you worried for its affect on the entertainment industry, with one company controlling so much?

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 08-23-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

I don't care about Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar; so no, not really.

EDIT: Also, it should be "worried about". not "worried for". "Worried for" makes it sound like we're worried about Disney's well-being.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Of course it's unsettling. Buying FOX means they would go from controlling 22% of the movie industry to 35%. Keep in mind that they were already top dog. Lucasfilm and Marvel aren't that big of a deal, since it essentially just means owning character rights (though owning Marvel means they control 30-40% of the comic industry at any given time) but FOX is. Admittedly, 35% isn't exactly a monopoly but it does make them way bigger than any competitor. If Warner were to buy out Universal in order to compete, then Warner and Disney would collectively control about 70% of the movie industry, while Sony and Paramount would be in charge of 15%. Not a monopoly, but certainly not a fair market anymore...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
Sumac
Banned

Mega-corporations are inevitable.
Unless government will do something to stop it. But since government is in the pocket of corporations it is unlikely.
So...enjoy your new Micky overlord.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Yes, monopolies aren't a good thing.

I've always sen Disney as some sort of evil empire, tbh. I mean, every major corporation has their hands dirty, but Disney I dunno, there's something really fishy about them that really puts me off.

I enjoy Donald Duck comics still, since they were a major part of my childhood, and tbh they've always seemed like they weren't a major part of the company since they were mostly big in Europe after a while. But man, I can't say I have much sympathy for that company as a whole. For some reason companies like Warner Bros., Nintendo, Sega, etc. don't give me that "evil empire" vibe Disney does.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

We should be ok, as long as Freedom Fighter Bugs Bunny is fighting the good fight against the evil Disney empire.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Monopolies are never a good thing, but I don't really see where Disney is going to do much harm.

A monopoly over entertainment isn't the same as a monopoly over internet service providers, or gas and oil, or textiles, or any number of actual necessities.

So the movie theaters get dominated by Star Wars, Marvel, and Elsa. So what? People who don't like Iron Man or Rey (does she even have a last name?) still won't see the movies, and will still go see the movies they WANT to see.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Monopolies are never a good thing, but I don't really see where Disney is going to do much harm.

A monopoly over entertainment isn't the same as a monopoly over internet service providers, or gas and oil, or textiles, or any number of actual necessities.

So the movie theaters get dominated by Star Wars, Marvel, and Elsa. So what? People who don't like Iron Man or Rey (does she even have a last name?) still won't see the movies, and will still go see the movies they WANT to see.
I don't think it was Rey that made the last Star Wars movie bomb at the office.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
I don't think it was Rey that made the last Star Wars movie bomb at the office.
Off topic, but I agree. Rey's not the problem.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #10
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Am I worried? No, of course not. Disney movies and shows were a big part of my childhood, and I have always respected what Walt built and stood for, and even after he was long gone, his legacy of family entertainment lives, so I have no problem with them taking over Fox. For that matter, much of that deal was fueled by them reacquiring the movie rights for Marvel's characters, something that actually makes me very happy- Marvel never should have sold those rights in the first place, though I understand why they did it at the time.

That said, I also feel that this sort of "monopoly" is hardly something to worry about. What does it mean, really, for us as consumers? That our entertainment comes mainly from a few sources? Big deal, that is already the case, the only difference now is that one source has now consolidated its piece(s) of the pie to cover a broader scope of tastes.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #11
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Am I worried? No, of course not. Disney movies and shows were a big part of my childhood, and I have always respected what Walt built and stood for, and even after he was long gone, his legacy of family entertainment lives, so I have no problem with them taking over Fox. For that matter, much of that deal was fueled by them reacquiring the movie rights for Marvel's characters, something that actually makes me very happy- Marvel never should have sold those rights in the first place, though I understand why they did it at the time.

That said, I also feel that this sort of "monopoly" is hardly something to worry about. What does it mean, really, for us as consumers? That our entertainment comes mainly from a few sources? Big deal, that is already the case, the only difference now is that one source has now consolidated its piece(s) of the pie to cover a broader scope of tastes.
If Disney keeps buying stuff, there will JUST be family entertainment. In America, the days of R rated or M rated movies would be a thing of the past. No more Friday the 13th movies.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #12
Wildcat
Foot Elite

No. Like already mentioned so what if a lot of entertainment (not services) comes from mostly 1 company?

R rated movies will be fine. Anyone who truly thinks Disney will turn all material into “family” stuff or will never allow R doesn’t understand how it works. Not everything is going to be Disney branded. Everything has separate departments.

What exactly can Disney do that would be so bad? Crossovers, them park attractions? Seriously what’s the “con” that people think they’re pulling?
Old 08-13-2018, 02:27 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

In general, no, I don't applaud megacorps buying up the smaller parties. It is concerning. In this particular case? I have no problem. Let's review the damage:

The X-Men and Fantastic Four and Deadpool universe: a win on all sides. The horrible Singerverse and inattention to the actual source material is virtually guaranteed to be reversed in an all-out reboot that will not be that. And Deadpool 3 will be fine... they've already told us so, plus think of what that can be now.

X-Files: two horrible seasons under Chris Carter with only a couple of kind of OK episodes followed by a new "series finale" that even Gillian apologized for and no one talks about because it isn't worth talking about. X-Files still has life, yet didn't flourish under Fox for the past 3 years... maybe the new bosses can make something good happen? Can't be any worse than what we've gotten.

Simpsons: Hasn't been relevant for 15 years. People assuming it would be discontinued now are fools. If there is a change in direction it may represent the first positive one in as many years.

Family Guy: I don't see Disney rocking the boat here. Nothing to be worried about.

Alien/Predator: Fox let Ridley single-handedly bury "his" own creation over two back to back movies over four years. Clearly the right bosses aren't in place. And since we've been told not to worry about an R-rated Deadpool 3 I have no doubt there is anything to fear here. I am vastly more worried at how "The Predator" will be received than anything Disney will do subsequently.

Fantastic Four: Have you seen the last couple of Fox offerings? Then you should have no questions.

Planet of the Apes: Finished its trilogy already. If it is decided to make it a quadrilogy and go even further into the future, I don't see Disney throwing a stick into the spokes of such a thing.

Aaand... there aren't really any other properties worth noting that I can think of offhand.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-13-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
If Disney keeps buying stuff, there will JUST be family entertainment. In America, the days of R rated or M rated movies would be a thing of the past. No more Friday the 13th movies.
Utterly absurd.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #15
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Can you imagine how much more damage to intellectual property and copyright legislation Disney could do if they had a monopoly?

monopolies are supposed to be illegal for a reason, because they do demonstratable harm to both the market and the economy.

Sadly, I don't expect much will be done about this, given the current American political landscape.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #16
Vegita-San
Emperor

mega corps arn't good.

but the result of that is, less talent to make each thing special. and people will stop watching. I've already pretty much stopped paying attention to what hollywood puts out.

My theater attendance has dropped, my DVD/blu ray sales are non existent since I already have alot of what I wanted be put out in stores already.

things like my switch are already starting to collect dust just like the Wii U before it.

I'm just loosing interest in the entertainment industry all together. and eventually that will cause thme to sell things off, or shrink altogether because the market is too crowded with stuff that has no lasting value.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
No more Friday the 13th movies.
It already looks like there won't be any more Friday the 13th movies. The rights are in the middle of a World War 3 with one of the creators... that's why the latest one was cancelled, and why the F13 game has legally had to cease all updates.

Quote:
but the result of that is, less talent to make each thing special.
Untrue. While there is only 1 guy at the top, there will be more employees. More heads. And by taking up Fox's slate, that means more release windows and more movies going on than before.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Can you imagine how much more damage to intellectual property and copyright legislation Disney could do if they had a monopoly?

monopolies are supposed to be illegal for a reason, because they do demonstratable harm to both the market and the economy.

Sadly, I don't expect much will be done about this, given the current American political landscape.
I mean, I agree in theory... but I just don't see how an entertainment monopoly is a stranglehold or a problem. Got some theoretical examples of Disney monopoly fallout?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I mean, I agree in theory... but I just don't see how an entertainment monopoly is a stranglehold
True. The only thing that's changed is Disney can make sequels and reboots to pre-existing stuff owned by Fox. Nothing is saying that other studios can't just... y'know... make brand new stuff. Let it serve as a kick in the pants for original content from other studios.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #20
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
I mean, I agree in theory... but I just don't see how an entertainment monopoly is a stranglehold or a problem. Got some theoretical examples of Disney monopoly fallout?
Entertainment involves media broadcasting, doesn't it?
Would you trust all of your news come from only one source?

Bear in mind also this is a company that controls what level of facial hair their employees can have.
if you work for one of their theme parks and you want to grow a beard you have to do so off company time. You're not allowed to work with a 5 o'clock shadow.

There was also a point in time in the company's history where they're costumed employees had to wear bog-standard, provided for you, underwear. This led to an outbreak of crabs.

Don't get me wrong, Disney is a great company, but don't ever get caught crossing the mouse.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote