The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #181
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist

I just saw House of Flying Daggers. It was pretty cool, the visuals were enough to keep me interested, and the creative dagger/bambo/everything else fight scenes.
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #182
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

Just saw There Will Be Blood. It was a great movie, just not sure how great. There was so much to take in, I'll have to watch it again. While it was good, my vote would still be for No Country for Old Men.
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #183
ToTheNines
[sic]

I saw the bucket list with my grandpa yesterday, it's a really great film and I highly recommend it.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #184
raphael_is_cool
Mad Scientist

Juno
Way overrated. I don't remember finding anything funny and I couldn't relate to any of the characters. They were all a bunch of kooky smartasses, and Juno is the most annoying character ever. This really does not deserve so much recognition.

Eastern Promises
Great performances from Viggo Mortensen and Vincent Cassell. It's refreshing to see the non-tourist approach to a story set in London and a difficult subject matter (human trafficking). While the script is very good and contains many layers (a second-viewing will bring new things to light) I felt some of it was too obvious. Maybe it's just because I have a lot of experience of writing that I can spot foreshadowing a mile away but it made the film less enjoyable and seemed very standard fare. Still a very good film though and I now want to see A History of Violence.
raphael_is_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #185
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Watched Vertigo yesterday and I was pleased with it. Jimmy Stewart was great in the movie and Hitchcock didn't disappoint.

Later, I watched A Boy and His Dog and it was pretty good.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #186
Swany
Stone Warrior

saw Juno last night. Really enjoyed it except there was a group of girls with the highest pitched giggles ever in the front row which was pretty irritating.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #187
raphael_is_cool
Mad Scientist

I Am Legend
Better than I expected. Also slightly different 'plot' to what I expected. Will Smith gave a good performance; I'd never seen him do anything 'serious' since Enemy of the State. I think the CGI was pretty poor though, and not a great decision by the director.

Anyone else notice there seemed to be some alpha male dark seeker element in there?
Spoiler:
The one that exposed himself to sunlight to yell at Robert then later pushed his way to the front to smash the glass at the end?

I imagine that'll be explored more on the DVD release.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #188
Toonami Tom
Banned

I rented '3:10 to Yuma' over the weekend. It's a great, action packed movie, and I liked the acting. However, the story was not as good as I thought it would be.

I plan on seeing 'The Bucket List' sometime, it looks like a very entertaining comedy.

I don't understand why anyone over the age of 14 would watch 'Juno' or 'Knocked Up.' There seems to be a new trend in unplanned pregnancy movies. I mean no offense to anyone who enjoyed the films, they just do not interest me.
Toonami Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #189
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercleese View Post
I plan on seeing 'The Bucket List' sometime, it looks like a very entertaining comedy.
It's actually less of a comedy than you might think. Don't get me wrong, it's a funny movie, but there's alot more to it.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #190
Toonami Tom
Banned

Oh ok. Yeah, I would imagine there is probably a serious element to the film, since it's about things to do before kicking the bucket. As well as story elements/drama involving characters such as friends, children, and other family members. This is all speculation on my part.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #191
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:

I don't understand why anyone over the age of 14 would watch 'Juno' or 'Knocked Up.' There seems to be a new trend in unplanned pregnancy movies. I mean no offense to anyone who enjoyed the films, they just do not interest me.
Because people want to see smartly written, witty, well acted comedies? No, that can't be it.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #192
Swany
Stone Warrior

Quote:
'Casue these days everyone is accidentally getting pregnant. And people like things thay can relate to.

Plus comdies make me laugh.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #193
Toonami Tom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqb101 View Post
Because people want to see smartly written, witty, well acted comedies? No, that can't be it.
Ah, I see. On that note, for anyone looking for a good comedy movie I reccomend the Birdcage. It's a great film. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane play their parts well, and it's a very funny movie. It also makes you think.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #194
raphael_is_cool
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Are we talking about Juno?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #195
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Knocked Up (and from the looks of things, Juno as well) is a bit too in-your-face for my tastes, but it's still a good movie, even if it's not the most effective comedy.

Last movie I saw was Road to Perdition. Why didn't this win the Best Sound Oscar?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #196
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael_is_cool View Post
Are we talking about Juno?
Both to some extent. Juno moreso.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #197
raphael_is_cool
Mad Scientist

But I could've sworn you said: 'smartly written' and 'witty'. I also think the term 'comedy' was used.

Honestly, I don't see how Juno is any of those things. And I hate people treating it like it's the new 'Little Miss Sunshine'.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #198
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael_is_cool View Post
But I could've sworn you said: 'smartly written' and 'witty'. I also think the term 'comedy' was used.

Honestly, I don't see how Juno is any of those things. And I hate people treating it like it's the new 'Little Miss Sunshine'.
Eh, you didn't like Juno, I did. Differing opinions, that's cool. I just don't like how the other guy basically attacked any fans of either Juno or Knocked up by saying that he doesn't understand how anyone over the age of 14 could like them.

And ya, comparing Juno to Little Miss Sunshine is more than a bit extreme. Little Miss Sunshine is in a class all its own.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #199
raphael_is_cool
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I just don't like how the other guy basically attacked any fans of either Juno or Knocked up by saying that he doesn't understand how anyone over the age of 14 could like them.
I wouldn't say he attacked them. Just seemed very misinformed. I mean, they're not 'movie of the week' but on the big screen.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #200
tone-master21
Mad Scientist

The last movies I saw were Superbad and American Pie: Beta House.
tone-master21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies