Candy Kappa is actually a lady.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
OOTS was a multi-million dollar live action film that took lazy plot points from the cartoon and duct taped together rewrites and reshoots into an ugly Frankenstein's monster.
I don't think they did any significant rewrites or reshoots on this. Unlike 2014, equally horrible, this time around they put on the screen exactly the movie they set out to make.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-13-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #43
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
To be honest, I think those who only grew up with the OT and nothing else in this franchise, don't remember it that well other than it being nostalgic.
I think the people behind the new movie didn't quite get the 80s Turtles. If they were going to make a live action version of the Fred Wolf cartoon they should have gone all out in style and plot. Forcing elements of the 80s Turtles into a PD movie that already has it's own identity from the 2014 movie wasn't the way it should of been done but like I said it was still a better movie than the 2014 one which was very underwhelming although for some reason that was better received.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #44
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I thought OT stood for "old toon" or "original toon" because it is the original cartoon...
Yeah exactly, it's the original (the first) cartoon, hence OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Can't speak for others, but I prefer FW over OT, since the 1987 show isn't the Original incarnation. MWS works too but FW is shorter and Murakami-Wolf-Swenson changed their name to Fred Wolf Films in '92
But the OT isn't the first incarnation, just the first toon. I guess you could call it TMNT'87 also.

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #45
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I think the people behind the new movie didn't quite get the 80s Turtles. If they were going to make a live action version of the Fred Wolf cartoon they should have gone all out in style and plot. Forcing elements of the 80s Turtles into a PD movie that already has it's own identity from the 2014 movie wasn't the way it should of been done but like I said it was still a better movie than the 2014 one which was very underwhelming although for some reason that was better received.
In other words, they tried to go for what's popular without learning what made it popular.

I wouldn't say better recieved but made more money than the sequel. The fact that it was still tied to it's predecessor was the damaging part.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #46
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
In other words, they tried to go for what's popular without learning what made it popular.

I wouldn't say better recieved but made more money than the sequel. The fact that it was still tied to it's predecessor was the damaging part.
Oh I agree. They included vague memories the writers had of the 80s cartoon into the 2016 movie and not what it was actually about in style or plot. I say the 2014 film was better received as it made more money which meant that enough people were curious enough to go see it for it to be a success. Any goodwill the first film got had disappeared by the time the 2016 movie came out, disappointing as I see because I thought it was slightly better.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #47
wvfan
Random Punk

Ill take OT but thats what I grew up with.

I cant stand anything Bay puts his hands in but Bay turtles was bad but I still watched them and if the did a third i watch it but I waited for them to hit the redbox.

I never really watched the Fox kids Tmnt. I got a xmas themed dvd for xmas with a few eps on it but i couldnt really get into it. Maybe if I start at the ep 1 I would like it better.

I do really enjoy the nicko tmnt with my daughter. There is parts of it as old school fan that Im not into but I tend to think of every new verison of tmnt as a stand alone and dont really compare them. Its kind of like DC comics earth one, Earth 2 and so on and so on.

I put Bay turtles down there with next mutation but Next is still better.
wvfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #48
THGhost
Puppet Master

I like both, neither are perfect and I can look past their flaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
the animated one was a family friendly depiction of the original comics.
Nope, definitely was not.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #49
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I was recently wondering, if there are tmnt fans out there who love the original cartoon but aren't fans of tmnt: Out of the Shadows? I ask because I am noticing a pattern, that the same people here who hate Oots are critics of the 80s series who say its a bad show and a parasite on the franchise, while people who love that show enjoyed the movie. So are there any fans who have differing views about the two? (Most preferably people who are fans of the OT, but not the movie. I doubt there are any fans of OOTS who hate the cartoon).
Hate? No I like the OT I don't mind subtle references to it now and then (Issue 40 is the beginning fight to Shreddered & Splntered) I still watch all my favorite episodes and quote them often oddly enough every one of FW Leo's cornball lines I find the most memorable. But much like hangover you can't shake I am a little tired of it blatantly showing up in every medium of TMNT even IDW being one of my favorites irks me with is FWisms when they do crop up. I still watch the episodes here and there and certainly don't mind discussing it. Just not when it comes to how much FW did this while in another series (Nick being the biggest offender) but feel free to ignore me, my griping about the OT could be a running joke by now.

Last edited by Technogeek29; 01-01-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #50
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

Like the original Transformers cartoon, I grew up on (well, a couple of season's worth) the FW show.
I'm not blind to the "faults" of these cartoons (they are 80's Saturday morning cartoons, they are what they are) but I despise the twisted, bastardised Michael Bay "reworkings" of both franchises and wish they never happened.

R.I.P. Dave Brockie A.K.A. Oderus Urungus
None But The Brave
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #51
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Nope, definitely was not.
I know. The cartoon was considered violent by adult groups or more specifically parents at the time. Interesting how things change.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #52
Casey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't think they did any significant rewrites or reshoots on this. Unlike 2014, equally horrible, this time around they put on the screen exactly the movie they set out to make.
Well, that's even more pathetic then.

Tags
oots