The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-19-2005, 08:59 AM   #221
Super Moderator

I don't use WMP anymore to watch videos, so I'm not familiar with that error. My best guess would be to make sure you have all the right codecs and you have the latest version of WMP.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:15 AM   #222
Duke
Mad Scientist

What do u use?
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #223
Super Moderator

I've been using BS Player for the longest time. I wouldn't use any other video player, honestly.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #224
Duke
Mad Scientist

That's cool I've used BS player off and on. I figured out the problem I forgot to re-install one of the codecs I had after I formatted my hard drive.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 PM   #225
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

'Ello there,

I upgraded my Firefox tonight when I was kicked from the chat. Now after the upgrade, it started to copy and paste random stuff it found in the chat window. What the hell was wrong with that. I also had major problems reconnecting to the chat.

Anyways, I downgraded again and it works fine. But I still wonder what that was.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #226
Super Moderator

I don't like to upgrade Firefox right away, because they tend to have bugs and stuff. It's probably just bugs they missed...somehow.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:49 PM   #227
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 高橋愛
I don't like to upgrade Firefox right away, because they tend to have bugs and stuff. It's probably just bugs they missed...somehow.
You mean, when they release a new version, it's just a sort of Beta?

... that's good to know. Thanks, chief Scribbl aka. Ai.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:53 PM   #228
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Free (decent) firewalls, Ai? I'm in a rut here...

Also, my wireless connection is teh crap. My roomates insist on running their 11b router *right next* to my 11g for some ungodly reason, even though their Apple AirTunes works through mine just fine. Would that be killing mines signal? (it's usually only at ~50%). Any other easy ways to boost Wireless signal on the cheap?
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:58 PM   #229
Super Moderator

Most (if not all) routers come with internal firewalls to give you protection from t3h h4x0rz. You can look around download.com and see if there's any good free firewalls. A lot of the good software firewalls cost money, though.

And the easiest way to boost your range on your router is to buy antenna extensions. I sell them where I work for like, $20. You replace the original antennas with the bigger and better ones, and your range is increased by a whole lot. Triple the range, at least.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:43 PM   #230
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Ok 愛 I have a question somewhat related to the above.

we have 2 computers, 1 plugged directly in to the router, and a laptop using Wireless.
Sometimes when we bring the laptop out of stand by, the internet SAYS it's connected, but it isn't. We can't connect to anything untill we re-start the laptop. any ideas?
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:52 PM   #231
Super Moderator

My friend had the same problem. From what I understand, when your computer goes into stand-by mode, it shuts down connection to external peripherals. When it's taken out of stand-by mode, it turns the peripheral back on. When you turn the wireless card back on, the router reassigns the card an IP address. However, it doesn't take effect until you reset your system, because of something that's kind of hard to explain. My suggestion? Don't use stand-by mode. I know it saves battery power, but it's just the flaw in the networking.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:19 AM   #232
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky
You mean, when they release a new version, it's just a sort of Beta?

... that's good to know. Thanks, chief Scribbl aka. Ai.
Actually, releases of Firefox (and Mozilla) are well-tested since they go through the release candidate process before being made available, although sometimes bugs get through anyway. I recommend always upgrading to the latest version (since most releases are for important bug fixes or security issues) but having the previous version available just in case something goes wrong.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #233
Super Moderator

Yeah, Krang's right. They do get tested thoroughly, but sometimes bugs just get through. I don't like getting the latest version right away, but that's just me. You can do what you want.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:25 PM   #234
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Geeze... I must make up like 80% of the questions here... not good for a future comp sci major huh? lol.

Anyway, long story short: I got the P2P worm. I reinstall W2k (took a while, problems with damaged discs and what not), and durring the install a few files can't be copied. No big deal, 'cause the OS works fine. Even didn't install IE.

The problem: I can't place things in the quick launch bar. This isn't too big of a deal, 'cause I can just have the shortcuts on the desk top, but is there an easyish way to fix this?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:27 PM   #235
Super Moderator

So you can have the quick launch bar shown, but you can't add any icons to it? That's weird. It may be due to your damaged CD.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:03 PM   #236
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

It fixed itself with a good reboot. Yeah, i thought it was weird too... it'd never happend to me before.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #237
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I have a problem. Every time I try to copy something to an Lexar SD card, it brings up an error "Cannot copy file: The directory or file cannot be created."

This has happened randomly with 2 different flash cards and I can't get it to quit. My Play Yan reads what is already on the card properly, but Windows won't let me write to it. What do I do?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #238
Super Moderator

As I said on the backup GD, it's beyond my area of expertise. Once again, I open the question up to anyone who can answer it. Maybe Krang will drop by tonight and he can answer it.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #239
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Hah! This thread is exactly what I need. Today while drinking one beer I got the idea that I might get into video editing, as in AMV-ish stuff. Now, I have no idea what program I should use or which one is best, so I'm asking Scribble and all the video-buffs out there: What program do you recommend?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:00 PM   #240
Super Moderator

If you're going to start getting into video editing, I'd highly recommend looking into various Adobe products. For example, Adobe Premier and After Effects are great programs to start with. If you're going to do some video capturing, there's programs that do that, as well, whether you're getting it from an external source or an internal source. BMPtoAVI is a good program to capture internal sources. FRAPS is another program that does the same thing. Programs that capture external sources usually come with capture cards that you buy somewhere and put in your computer.

That's just to get you started. Good luck with that.