The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,732
Why Rise Splinter is the most layered Splinter out of the animated adaptions

Rise Splinter went on a very interesting character arc this season, going from my least favorite incarnation of the character and worst written person on the show to pretty much one of my favorite animated adaption of the character rivaling Hoon Lee's Splinter from 2k12 and the reason for it is not just his development as a character but how layered he is and how his worst aspects in the beginning of the series actually makes him even more well written in Hinsight.


For those who don't know this Splinter or Hamato Yoshi came from a ninja clan that was dedicated to making sure that remnants of the Foot Clan don't complete the Shredder armor that can basically revived a demonic Shredder that can unless untold destruction on humanity but instead of following his clan's traditions he decided to become a movie star under the name Lou Jitsus. As Lou Jitsu Splinter was pretty much an A-List celebrity complete with having his own videogame, cereal, christmas album, dating numerous of actresses and models(Like Krystal Yistal)and racing fast cars. All of this however stopped when he met a Teamster by the name of Big Mama who he fell madly in love with to the point of asking her to marry him(keep in mind Lou is a famous movie star but out of the models and actress he dated he chose a teamster for her hand in marriage) but unbeknownst to Splinter it turned out Big Mom was a yokai who led an underground death arena by the name of Battle Nexus where he was forced to compete against his will, it wasn't too bad at first Lou/Yoshi did enjoy the crowd chanting his name and even got a cute catgirl flustered but over the course of years Lou for some reason gave up fighting and wanted to spend his remaining years as pacifist. Years later he was later busted out by Draxum's gargoyles and was experimented on by Draxum himself to create Yokai that would take over the Earth. Lou/Yoshi would halt the experiment so this turtles wouldn't become instruments of war and instead of powerful Yokai we got the Turtles you know today and Lou/Yoshi getting turned into Splinter.

So yeah long retrospective but I wanted to dissect some things, remember how I said that Splinter's worst aspects in the beginning of the series makes him an even better written character in hindsight well lets look at some things. The reason why this Splinter isn't eager to train his sons to become strong ninjas compared to other installments because not only he was tired of fighting but he himself halted the process of them being turned into Draxum's pawns for conquest. Another thing is that out of the animated incarnation this Splinter lost the most when he transformed into a Rat, remember how much I told you how popular Splinter was as a movie star well imagine all that just crashing down when you were held captive by the woman you loved and imagine it getting worse when you got turned into a rat mutant/yokai and had to hide underground in the sewer. Say what you will about most has been movie stars but at least they can sign autographs and get free food but Splinter pretty much has none of that and most people think he is dead or missing. Looking back it kinda turns his quirks from earlier episodes into a tragic characteristic in that he is a man who lost everything and the only way to reclaim any sort of glory is watching his old movies sort of like a big time HS football player who peaked after and is just re watching plays of where he scored 4 touchdowns in a single game.


I keep mentioning the early episodes but one thing I notice during my re watch is that during the beginning of the series Splinter usually has his eyes closed and looks disinterested but during the episode "The Fast and the Furry" we seem him talking about a dumb restaurant concept but we truly see him emote when he said that his sons think it was dumb, we see something similar in Ms.Cuddles when he told the rabbit she made a powerful enemy after messing with his T.V time and harming his family. Funny enough he is also the most cultured as seen in "Al Be Back" he was singing Vesti La Giubba which can be seen as a one off gag but if you know the context of the aria it actually kinda foreshadows Splinter's backstory and relationship with Big Mom(also I kinda find it funny how the Splinter who would most likely name his sons after Renaissance painters only refer to the turtles as colors or shorted names.)

So yeah that's my Ted Talk on why I consider Rise Splinter to be the most layered and well written Splinter in all of the animated incarnations, he aint going to win "Most Compatible with the Source Material" award but for a Splinter that does his own thing, I say its executed pretty well.
__________________

Last edited by PApagreg; 12-04-2019 at 04:02 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35,634
I haven't seen much of this Splinter besides the early eps where all he did was eat and sleep in front of the TV, but I guess I'll take your word for it.

But Nick's 2012 Splinter was excellent and had the best characterisation for an animated Splinter, so I think that will be hard to top for me.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I haven't seen much of this Splinter besides the early eps where all he did was eat and sleep in front of the TV, but I guess I'll take your word for it.

But Nick's 2012 Splinter was excellent and had the best characterisation for an animated Splinter, so I think that will be hard to top for me.
Did you at least read my post on why.
__________________
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 6,218
How many layers of fat does he have?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 5,666
I agree with Cubed (shocking I know) nobody can top Hoon Lee Splinter. He is the best splinter of any version.
__________________





I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
sdp
Winsider
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Megalopolis
Posts: 7,790
2012 Splinter rubbed me the wrong way, never liked him.
__________________
PM me for an invite to the TechnoDrome Discord


Sexy Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I haven't seen much of this Splinter besides the early eps where all he did was eat and sleep in front of the TV, but I guess I'll take your word for it.

But Nick's 2012 Splinter was excellent and had the best characterisation for an animated Splinter, so I think that will be hard to top for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I agree with Cubed (shocking I know) nobody can top Hoon Lee Splinter. He is the best splinter of any version.
I agree with both of you! 2012's Splinter is the best incarnation for sure. I'm a grown man and I absolutely shed a tear when he died. The Nick TMNT characters are truly loved by me and my son. I'd give anything to have a continuation of that show.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #8
Hockey Boy
Random Punk
 
Hockey Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
Noooooo, 2012 Splinter was the most layered!
Beating the **** out of his sons for nothing and battling this incel thats pissed he dated a girl he liked is such such layers
Can’t believe people say hes the best.
__________________
“When do i get to break something?”
“The class is Pain 101, your instructor’s Casey Jones!”
“Taste the Bat Of Doom, creeps!”
“Hey, fellas!Remember me?”
Casey Jones shoots - He scores!”
Hockey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
TommyT
Stone Warrior
 
TommyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Boy View Post
Noooooo, 2012 Splinter was the most layered!
Beating the **** out of his sons for nothing and battling this incel thats pissed he dated a girl he liked is such such layers
Can’t believe people say hes the best.
Don't worry. This is a troll thread. The OP is a Nick sock puppet, not sure which talent-less hack they are, but they are pulling a Zack Snyder, and trying to get their old gig back.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
Do me a favor and try to turn your face without turning your neck. There is no "face turn". Your face/head does not move. Your neck does.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:43 AM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 16,330
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:28 AM   #11
D-ray
Thug
 
D-ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Italy
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Rise Splinter went on a very interesting character arc this season, going from my least favorite incarnation of the character and worst written person on the show to pretty much one of my favorite animated adaption of the character rivaling Hoon Lee's Splinter from 2k12 and the reason for it is not just his development as a character but how layered he is and how his worst aspects in the beginning of the series actually makes him even more well written in Hinsight.


For those who don't know this Splinter or Hamato Yoshi came from a ninja clan that was dedicated to making sure that remnants of the Foot Clan don't complete the Shredder armor that can basically revived a demonic Shredder that can unless untold destruction on humanity but instead of following his clan's traditions he decided to become a movie star under the name Lou Jitsus. As Lou Jitsu Splinter was pretty much an A-List celebrity complete with having his own videogame, cereal, christmas album, dating numerous of actresses and models(Like Krystal Yistal)and racing fast cars. All of this however stopped when he met a Teamster by the name of Big Mama who he fell madly in love with to the point of asking her to marry him(keep in mind Lou is a famous movie star but out of the models and actress he dated he chose a teamster for her hand in marriage) but unbeknownst to Splinter it turned out Big Mom was a yokai who led an underground death arena by the name of Battle Nexus where he was forced to compete against his will, it wasn't too bad at first Lou/Yoshi did enjoy the crowd chanting his name and even got a cute catgirl flustered but over the course of years Lou for some reason gave up fighting and wanted to spend his remaining years as pacifist. Years later he was later busted out by Draxum's gargoyles and was experimented on by Draxum himself to create Yokai that would take over the Earth. Lou/Yoshi would halt the experiment so this turtles wouldn't become instruments of war and instead of powerful Yokai we got the Turtles you know today and Lou/Yoshi getting turned into Splinter.

So yeah long retrospective but I wanted to dissect some things, remember how I said that Splinter's worst aspects in the beginning of the series makes him an even better written character in hindsight well lets look at some things. The reason why this Splinter isn't eager to train his sons to become strong ninjas compared to other installments because not only he was tired of fighting but he himself halted the process of them being turned into Draxum's pawns for conquest. Another thing is that out of the animated incarnation this Splinter lost the most when he transformed into a Rat, remember how much I told you how popular Splinter was as a movie star well imagine all that just crashing down when you were held captive by the woman you loved and imagine it getting worse when you got turned into a rat mutant/yokai and had to hide underground in the sewer. Say what you will about most has been movie stars but at least they can sign autographs and get free food but Splinter pretty much has none of that and most people think he is dead or missing. Looking back it kinda turns his quirks from earlier episodes into a tragic characteristic in that he is a man who lost everything and the only way to reclaim any sort of glory is watching his old movies sort of like a big time HS football player who peaked after and is just re watching plays of where he scored 4 touchdowns in a single game.


I keep mentioning the early episodes but one thing I notice during my re watch is that during the beginning of the series Splinter usually has his eyes closed and looks disinterested but during the episode "The Fast and the Furry" we seem him talking about a dumb restaurant concept but we truly see him emote when he said that his sons think it was dumb, we see something similar in Ms.Cuddles when he told the rabbit she made a powerful enemy after messing with his T.V time and harming his family. Funny enough he is also the most cultured as seen in "Al Be Back" he was singing Vesti La Giubba which can be seen as a one off gag but if you know the context of the aria it actually kinda foreshadows Splinter's backstory and relationship with Big Mom(also I kinda find it funny how the Splinter who would most likely name his sons after Renaissance painters only refer to the turtles as colors or shorted names.)

So yeah that's my Ted Talk on why I consider Rise Splinter to be the most layered and well written Splinter in all of the animated incarnations, he aint going to win "Most Compatible with the Source Material" award but for a Splinter that does his own thing, I say its executed pretty well.
By looking at your signature it makes me want to see him in the cartoon!

If I could...
__________________
"Fighting for our comrades, for the Republic, for...

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #12
Jazzfox
Random Punk
 
Jazzfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 34
Y'know?

Splinter has always been a long favorite of mine, and I find it hard to pick any one incarnation as a solid 'best Splinter' for me

It was actually seeing what Rise did with their incarnation of Splinter that really turned me off to the show to begin with, it took a while for me to really give the show any chances =o

But whilst I doubt I'll ever consider Rise Splinter as best Splinter, I appreciate some of the depth they looked to give Splinter and some real inner conflict over raising his sons

Maybe it's just because I had lower expectations for Rise, but, I am happy to say it's nice to have some new appreciation on Rise Splinter, so, thanks PPG for coming up for this hot take =B
__________________
Always Happy to talk Turtles!

(Please excuse any long time in replies, sometimes offline for long periods!)
Jazzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.