The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #141
Leo656
The Franchise

... There's four buttons, one of which is Punch and the other of which is Kick. Okay technically six because of the shoulder buttons but unless you really want to do a finisher you in theory don't even need them. It's cheap but it's possible to beat either game on the hardest difficulty by doing nothing but punching.

Like yeah, any game you haven't played takes a minute to figure out, but those two are by FAR the easiest wrestling games ever made and anyone who can't figure out the controls within five minutes probably also struggles with drinking through a straw. I really can't be any nicer about it than that. He's lucky he didn't pick up any of the newer ones; some of the controls are context-sensitive! If he couldn't figure out Royal Rumble for SNES then 2K-anything would give him a stroke.

Of course, there's the off-chance that, being a Nerd video, he just saw LJN on the label and was just doing shtick, and he was only pretending to have a hard time. One would hope so. But he genuinely seemed to be having trouble with the easier parts of Lion King and wasn't playing the Nerd in that one, so again, maybe he's just kind of not good. Who knows.

I like the guy but sometimes I wonder how much he really has on the ball.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:44 AM   #142
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

It depends on the video. A few of them are absolutely hysterical. Others he spends too much time doing the act.

I was hooked from the Simon's Quest video where he just blurts out "this game sucks" and then goes on a rant.

The one where Mike Mateo (or whatever his name is) shows up as Joker is just annoying as hell, though. And there's been a few that follow that format. I take a pass on those.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:45 AM   #143
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I love the guy but the Simon's Quest hate I could never abate. I loved that game dearly. It even enabled my elementary school crush and I to bond.

Plus it's like the basis for every 2D Castlevania game beginning with Symphony. It's the granddaddy.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:14 AM   #144
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Granted. Most of the games he reviews don't strike me as bad as much as they are incredibly difficult. I had a great time with Simon's Quest, despite having NO idea what I was supposed to be doing and dying every other screen. Same with the original TMNT.

I remember, sometime in my early twenties, I had just crushed 3-4 PS2 games in a row. I figured I must've improved my gaming skills, and those old NES games weren't really that hard. . . I was just an inexperienced kid.

Nope. Tried original Castlevania and got my ass handed to me again and again and again.

Funny you should mention it being an influence on SOTN. I never made the connection. I'm friends with one of the guys who worked on SOTN. I'll have to ask him just how much influence was taken.

Also, kudos on the bonding. Pity that didn't last. I don't think I've ever had an SO with an interest in gaming beyond tetris.

Last edited by Voltron; 02-17-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #145
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Plus it's like the basis for every 2D Castlevania game beginning with Symphony. It's the granddaddy.
Wow, I never made that connection before but now that you said that it makes so much sense. I remember when I beat Castlevania 2 - it was almost on accident - I think you had to have an eyeball or something equipped just to have access to Dracula's tomb. I stumbled through most of the game and later found out that there were multiple endings. I think my ending had a gravestone, but IIRC there was a better one with someone standing next to it. I never went back to try it again.

I still love Symphony of the Night. I've also noticed that Lament of Innocence doesn't get any love, which is crazy because the game is basically SOTN with Metal Gear Solid camera angles and pretty decent graphics. I also remember the LOI cut scenes were pretty great, although I'm sure I'd have different opinions if I loaded it up today. It was Curse of Darkness that I couldn't get into at all. Loved Lament of Innocence though.

And then Lords of Shadow came out for the PS3 and that was an absolute masterpiece from the very first level where the raindrops hit the interior of your T.V. screen. I bought the sequel, and played it one time for 20 minutes and never loaded it up again - I can't even explain why, but I had no interest in it even though I loved the first. It'd be great to have some play time with Lords of Shadow again, even if only to complete an easy mode speed run.

Last edited by IMJ; 02-17-2020 at 10:02 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #146
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I still love Symphony of the Night. I've also noticed that Lament of Innocence doesn't get any love, which is crazy because the game is basically SOTN with Metal Gear Solid camera angles and pretty decent graphics. I also remember the LOI cut scenes were pretty great, although I'm sure I'd have different opinions if I loaded it up today. It was Curse of Darkness that I couldn't get into at all. Loved Lament of Innocence though.
May I ask why you didn't like Curse of Darkness? I played Lament and it was great. For some reason, I never picked up Curse of Darkness. Maybe I was put off by lack of Belmont, I'm not sure.

With the Netflix series, I'm interested in playing it. What was it that put you off?
Old 03-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #147
Reinako666
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I just didn’t think it was needed. Algorithms and the “shocked face” on the thumbnail look so jarring with the older, obviously made for fun videos. It’s something I’ve always associated with clickbait, and especially Doug/NC videos.

The past couple episodes have been so terrible, with the exception of Chex Quest. I don’t care whether or not James plays the games anymore, but it doesn’t even feel like AVGN anymore (references to things like framerates or walk-cycles take me out of the video). To be clear, I like some of the screenwave stuff, and the first batch of episodes post Megaman were awesome. But Aladdin Deck Enhancer, Life of Black Tiger, and Jurassic Park were so bad that not even r/cinemassacre is defending them anymore. Either let AVGN die off or improve the writing. The elaborate skits were never funny in CA videos, and they aren’t funny here. There’s a clear difference in having a character show up in an AVGN episode (which is a staple of the show) and the Jurassic Park episode. Pepsiman is a recent episode that does the skit aspect right, Aladdin Deck Enhancer is not.

Sorry I don’t believe in defending everything a channel does because they used to be great. The Screenwave management change has done more harm than good.

Oh, and Rental Reviews is just Redlettermedia without anything that makes that channel exceptional.
Screenwave changed ALL of the AVGN thumbnails...
Reinako666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sumac vs leo656