The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Your fave Nick turtle?
Leonardo 27 20.77%
Raphael 42 32.31%
Michelangelo 29 22.31%
Donatello 32 24.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #61
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
The poll results the comments posted are proving what I've been saying, and why the turtles being focused on in this show are being focused on.

The majority of people posting are stating "... has always been my favorite..." Meaning that barring something completely outlandish, they'll still be your favorite in this version, so many of the voter's selections on here are based on past preferences, and not what the show has done. Raph & Mikey always been the more popular to the fans than Leo & Donnie were to the older fans based on what the 80s show or 1st movie did for them. The poll reflects that as many of us grew up in that era. As I stated, barring something crazy, your favorite character won't change, though may sway more than before.

The main purpose of the show was to try and balance the popularity of all the turtles when they attracted the new viewers, meaning the turtles focused on are the ones that needed the most help. So they've been given story arcs, that while many on here don't particularly care for, helps with the viewer they're trying to bring in.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, I've just been saying that maybe who you like most in the show has nothing to do with how much focus they have in the show and maybe more so because it's the character you were exposed to as a kid growing up loving. Is that fair?
I think this would be true for most people. At the same time, maybe producers should try to give everyone equal focus and not make it all about their favourite Turtle.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #62
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 11,466
Well, I imagine that for those who have a firmly established favorite he exists in that seat for a reason. And unless a character is portrayed entirely counter to what he normally is or the fan does not have a firm favorite, or is young and changes favorites through maturation of their own personality, most are probably still going to like the same Turtle.

To be fair I hadn't seen the 2003 series until this summer and prior to early 2013 had been away from the fanbase for quite a long time, in which at that point I'd given 2012 a chance and found my old fave was still my fave. If anything 2012 itself is what led me to get reacquainted with the character, and TMNT in general, and I do very much like the collective Leo in what he's grown into over the years through various versions. Whole new perspective and appreciation this time around, love all the versions of himself he's ever been. (Ok, 2007 is a low point, but I blame the writers for making him look bad...)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #63
JTH
"ME"
 
JTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I don't think I can buy this. I just think Donnie is getting the focus because he is the primary executive producer's favorite Turtle. Nothing more, nothing less! Raph got focused in the 1990 movie and 2007 movie because the directors of those movies came right out and admit he was their favorite.
If I was to tell you that Donnie's relationship with April was originally meant for Raph by Ciro's initial pitch of the show mainly to increase the tension between Raph & Casey, what would you say about that notion?

Because that was the first plan for the show that was changed because other writers felt Raph didn't need it.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #64
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH
If I was to tell you that Donnie's relationship with April was originally meant for Raph by Ciro's initial pitch of the show mainly to increase the tension between Raph & Casey, what would you say about that notion?

I think she probably already knows that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth
Well, I imagine that for those who have a firmly established favorite he exists in that seat for a reason. And unless a character is portrayed entirely counter to what he normally is or the fan does not have a firm favorite, or is young and changes favorites through maturation of their own personality, most are probably still going to like the same Turtle.
The odd thing is that I feel that Nick Donatello is entirely counter to normal. And he's pretty unpopular according to this (non representative) poll.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #65
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Mikey, he's da bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H.Bob View Post
It's no longer Jason Biggs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
No, Seth has taken over at the start of season 3. Biggs got his butt shown the door.



Show and movie... Leo, buddy, try a Halls... maybe it will help with the frequent voice issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
Nah. He either quit or got fired, and left the show towards the end of season 2. Now it's Seth Green. (I preferred Biggs, personally, but Seth sounds fine.)
Don't forget about Dominic Catrambone who filled in for Biggs towards the end of season 2 before Seth Green came onboard.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #66
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
Well.. my favorite is a my favorite for a reason- I like his personality and can relate to him. As long as that stays true to character I don't see my choice changing.

My 'secondary favorite' changes depending on the incarnation- OT it was Mikey, 90's movies Donnie, and 2012 is Leo.

2012 Donnie is the closest I've come to actually disliking a turtle, but as long as April isn't around he's alright.
With me, it comes to this. And it's usually because how they interact to Raphael. The 80's toon, I toggled back and forth between Mikey and Donnie, probably I liked Mikey the most.

The 90's movies, I liked Mikey the most with Leo a close second.

2k3, I loved Leo and Donnie, I really did not like Mikey.

2007 movie, I loved Donnie, I was indifferent to Mikey, and Leo was a complete dick in that movie.

2012, it's going back and forth between Leo and Donnie. I'm not so much a fan of this Mikey. I'm just feeling, with Donnie, the creator is taking staples that became popular around Raphael, and are like, well, all this made Raph popular, so lets stiff Raph and give it to Donnie to boost his popularity, like giving him Raph's original voice actor, and giving Donnie the first crush (it's usually been Raph or Mikey) and let's make Casey Jones into Donnie's friend (Raph will introduce the dude to the team, actually, he really didn't, it was April) but Casey will evolve to become Donnie's buddy. This is why I don't like it when they have favorites, because someone is almost always alienated. I think the 1990 movie did best in handling favorites without losing focus on the rest of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
If I was to tell you that Donnie's relationship with April was originally meant for Raph by Ciro's initial pitch of the show mainly to increase the tension between Raph & Casey, what would you say about that notion?

Because that was the first plan for the show that was changed because other writers felt Raph didn't need it.
He can say anything he wants, I just don't buy it. He is probably just talking sh!t out of his ass, and is outright lying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
I think she probably already knows that.
I know about it, I'm just not buying it. I think he'll say anything to try and justify Donnie taking front stage and center, instead of just coming out and saying "Well, it's my show, he's my favorite and he's going to be the main focus, so there! Take it or leave it!" And with his ego, I can totally see him thinking this way.



Quote:
The odd thing is that I feel that Nick Donatello is entirely counter to normal. And he's pretty unpopular according to this (non representative) poll.
Donnie is funny, I admit that, but honestly, it's interesting, that everything they are doing to try to make him the most popular/favorite Turtle, is actually having an adverse affect the long timers. The new people coming on board who are favoring Donnie tend to be the tween, teeny girls, and it's pretty much due to Apritello. If Apritello ends up not happening, expect the ratings to drop like a rock big time. Same could be said for Leo and his relationship with Karai. While I am pretty sure the show being moved around constantly by Nick and the hiatus are having an affect on ratings, I also think the exclusion of Karai is a bit part of the decline in ratings as well.

Last edited by Warhorse; 10-26-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #67
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,285
I find it interesting how people can keep a favorite with so many incarnations and versions with different visions and interpretations based on the incarnation. This is why I can't have an overall favorite as it changes from version to version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
If I was to tell you that Donnie's relationship with April was originally meant for Raph by Ciro's initial pitch of the show mainly to increase the tension between Raph & Casey, what would you say about that notion?

Because that was the first plan for the show that was changed because other writers felt Raph didn't need it.
You know, imo, even if they had gone that route, I still feel Donnie and Leo would still get the main focus because Donnie is tech/genius and their enemy are a bunch of aliens with high-tech equipment and Leo is the leader and both usually always deal with "main plot" stuff.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #68
JTH
"ME"
 
JTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I think the 1990 movie did best in handling favorites without losing focus on the rest of the team.
I like the 1990 movie as much as anybody...but no. That's not even close to being accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
You know, imo, even if they had gone that route, I still feel Donnie and Leo would still get the main focus because Donnie is tech/genius and their enemy are a bunch of aliens with high-tech equipment and Leo is the leader and both usually always deal with "main plot" stuff.
I don't think so. The fact that April is the one the Kraang are after is what made the relationship with April special in Season 1 particularly. Because Donnie is the only one who could devise plans to stop the Kraang's schemes, and he needs to make sure they work to protect the very person he cares about.

Everything that has transpired throughout the show was used to give Donnie personal stakes. Because in theory, if he wasn't distracted in making sure the retro-mutagen was perfect to make sure April's father was cured to help April, Donnie could have realized what to do much sooner.

Last edited by JTH; 10-26-2014 at 02:55 PM.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #69
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
I like the 1990 movie as much as anybody...but no. That's not even close to being accurate.
I have to agree with this. It was definitely Raph's movie. The other three were just there, imo, but they all got good lines and stuff.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #70
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I have to agree with this. It was definitely Raph's movie. The other three were just there, imo, but they all got good lines and stuff.
But, I just think it was better focused, despite Raphael being the center. He didn't save the day nor did he have the best scenes or lines. He was even out for a good chunk of the movie.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #71
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 9,108
My favorites have always been the same order since I was two and never changed. I do prefer a certain version of each turtle over any other though the order does not change. 1.) Mike 2.) Raph 3.) Leo 4.) Don No hate on any turtle I just have a order of preference.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #72
JTH
"ME"
 
JTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
But, I just think it was better focused, despite Raphael being the center. He didn't save the day nor did he have the best scenes or lines. He was even out for a good chunk of the movie.
But he had the most Important scenes, there's a difference. Most everything that happened in the movie were Raph scenes, or based on events Raph did.

Raph found Casey
Raph brought April to the lair
Raph bringing April to the lair is what allowed the Foot to find the lair
Foot takes Splinter based on Raph's actions
Raph left the team
Raph gets beaten up (Taken from another character's arc)

I can keep going. But I don't feel I need to. The movie is very heavy Raph based, based on character development and character scenes.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #73
papa_smurf73
Stone Warrior
 
papa_smurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 933
Greg Cipes is killin' it with Mikey. Absolutely love his voice for his character.
papa_smurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #74
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_smurf73 View Post
Greg Cipes is killin' it with Mikey. Absolutely love his voice for his character.
He's grown on me a lot, Cipes as Mikey. I love it when he says, "Like a turtle do!" or his line, "Don't underestimate the water balloon throwing arm son!" Don't know why I like the hip way Mikey talks. It just suits him.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #75
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
But he had the most Important scenes, there's a difference. Most everything that happened in the movie were Raph scenes, or based on events Raph did.

Raph found Casey
Raph brought April to the lair
Raph bringing April to the lair is what allowed the Foot to find the lair
Foot takes Splinter based on Raph's actions
Raph left the team
Raph gets beaten up (Taken from another character's arc)

I can keep going. But I don't feel I need to. The movie is very heavy Raph based, based on character development and character scenes.
God, you are dense. There is a difference between centric and focus.
Compared to other mediums
that have certain Turtles as focus
like 2k3 and Leo
2012 and Donnie
2007 and Raph
the 1990 movie still managed
to allow each Turtle to have shining moments
and neither of them saved the day
but all of them as a team.
This is what I meant that the 1990 movie did it best! And it did.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #76
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
God, you are dense. There is a difference between centric and focus.
Compared to other mediums
that have certain Turtles as focus
like 2k3 and Leo
2012 and Donnie
2007 and Raph
the 1990 movie still managed
to allow each Turtle to have shining moments
and neither of them saved the day
but all of them as a team.
This is what I meant that the 1990 movie did it best! And it did.
What would you say about the 2014 movie in all that?
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #77
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,062
Yes, I have to agree that the 1990 movie was obvious about its favouritism. Leo and Mikey had enough good stuff I suppose, but Don was pretty out of character and shafted. Again, I don't mind that Donatello has the most focus in Nick, but I think it's gone too far. I don't think he's co-opting Raph's personality because except in the OT Raph has never been exactly a snarky spaz. But he is co-oping Raph's relationship with Casey.

I have the same order of preference, MikeandRaph87, but Raph and Leo switched places in 2003 and now I don't know my order because all of the Nick turtles can be pretty unlikable at times. I do think my order of preference depends on how well the character treats others, so I don't really like this Splinter or the Season 1 Raph (to halfway through Season 2). Not a huge fan of Leo in Nick, either.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #78
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
What would you say about the 2014 movie in all that?
It's one of those things I prefer to erase out of my memory, and so far, I'm doing a pretty good job at it.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #79
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 11,466
Oh don't worry, by mid next year we'll probably have enough reminder for 2016.


Leo, buddy, pull up, you're falling behind, look at those numbers.

As for who ranks where, personally I have no number 3 and 4 with these guys. There aren't any I actually dislike. Leo has the crown of course, but his brothers all share the second seat. Bench seat apparently.

The humans can sit on the floor. Gah, I'm terrible. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #80
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
Raph is still in the lead!

Mikey is pulling for second XD
__________________
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.