The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #81
The Happy One
Hench Mutant
 
The Happy One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The...Earth??
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groverman62 View Post
Wait which recent episodes have had Raph throwing temper tantrums?
Exactly! When?

I think they're pulling issues out of season 1. Saying there is little to no development is just flat out incorrect. Say what you will about Raph being a sissy or Mikey being dumb but no one who is being honest can say there isno development. And therefore I can't argue this if they refuse to admit that there's a ton of development despite Raph being characterized in a way they don't like.

And that's the truth. I hate to put it bluntly but that's all this is about. They think Raph is too soft and instead of leaving it at that, suddenly there is no development either.
What's next? Now the animation is poor?

Sorry dudes. I can respect how you feel about Raph. But don't drag everything else down too, just to make a point.
The Happy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #82
Papenbrook
"Zero-Dollar" Sonic
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: No comment -_- ...
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy One View Post
Exactly! When?

I think they're pulling issues out of season 1. Saying there is little to no development is just flat out incorrect. Say what you will about Raph being a sissy or Mikey being dumb but no one who is being honest can say there isno development. And therefore I can't argue this if they refuse to admit that there's a ton of development despite Raph being characterized in a way they don't like.

And that's the truth. I hate to put it bluntly but that's all this is about. They think Raph is too soft and instead of leaving it at that, suddenly there is no development either.
What's next? Now the animation is poor?

Sorry dudes. I can respect how you feel about Raph. But don't drag everything else down too, just to make a point.
People are allowed to constructively criticize the show,animation included. You need to learn that although the criticism is harsh, it might actually be true. Don't be rude to dissenters. It helps no one.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #83
The Happy One
Hench Mutant
 
The Happy One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The...Earth??
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kraken View Post
People are allowed to constructively criticize the show,animation included. You need to learn that although the criticism is harsh, it might actually be true. Don't be rude to dissenters. It helps no one.
I'm not trying to be PK. Please enlighten me with examples of underdevelopment? Because every example I've seen is season 1 or 2. As I've always said, PK, I can respect complaints. But tell me, how you go from 'oh Raph needs more tgis, Raph needs to be that' to 'NO ONE BESIDES LEO developed'.

Sorry, but that is nowhere near the truth and I just expressed that, PK, as respectfully as I can. If my memory is correct you have done this just as much, if not more.
But let's not argue, ok. I get it. You got your opinion and I've got mine
The Happy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #84
Aaronardo
Stone Warrior
 
Aaronardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: I don't exist
Posts: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy One View Post
I'm not trying to be PK. Please enlighten me with examples of underdevelopment? Because every example I've seen is season 1 or 2. As I've always said, PK, I can respect complaints. But tell me, how you go from 'oh Raph needs more tgis, Raph needs to be that' to 'NO ONE BESIDES LEO developed'.
You have clearly not been reading the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
(Unsure if quote will let me say what I need) I'll say it one last time to reiterate:

By "development", Leo is the only one growing as a character easily seen throughout season 3 psychologically. He's the only Turtle I can see actual growth in; though rushing the healing hands seems jarring to be a last minute resolve to the Karai plot in The Deadly Venom. Now, as for the other Turtles I"m going to point this out:

Donatello- I don't see a single development other than the love triangle fading into nonexistent. Aaron did point this out in season 2, but the last time I felt Donnie was an actual character was the rampaging Timothy in Mutagen Man Unleashed due to him in a harsh conflict of freezing the poor sap. The majority of season 2 did give him plot, but that's my main issue here. Donnie gets a large amount of plot which I respect, but most of them go absolutely nowhere or are rushed. A big one was the retromutagen which while hinted at up to Slash and Destroy went on the backburner, even then the passing mentions are not there. It's a prominent issue outside why Donatello is being close to a death;y brink; it's a 180 of his development. Unless they hint at more of his smarts or utilizing his character properly, I don't see growth.

Michelangelo- Oh boy here we go, the big one to me. Mikey possesses no growth at all; while I know this version can be handled for episodic focus, I don't see growth. Mikey might not be in the same boat with horrible treatment as Raphael, but of the four brothers I honestly think he's the second worst; if not then Mikey is possibly the worst written turtle in the series. The Croaking is all I have to say because after his growth in season 2's conclusion with Wrath of Tiger Claw, Kuro Kabuto, Dimension X, and Invasion all of it goes missing by this episode in season 3. He screws up for.... no reason whatsoever and rewarded when he caused the Punk Frogs to enter the farmhouse. I know for a fact Mikey wouldn't be this stupid, but why is it he's trusting of Napoleon whereas the previous episode he doesn't trust "Mrs. O'Neil?"

I can mention many things of each time Cipes' Mikey does an awesome moment, he takes two steps back in development. No more apparent is he bad then from the crush on Renet all the way to Dumb Don. That crush was beyond atrocious, completely out of the blue and makes Mikey a love sick puppy; I couldn't stand this behavior at all in the episode because of it being sudden. When compared to Leo, Don, or even Raph's relationships, Mikey's enters left field so suddenly even as a crush. Granted, Mega Shredder and Yokai made him how I want a Michelangelo; then Creeping Doom comes and the character falls flat again to be an idiot. When a character as comic relief does this often, I don't laugh, I facepalm at the insulting nature. So, Michelangelo might have grown in the past but each time his idiocy in the show destroys that development.

Raphael- I would have no problem with exploration if what happens are explained in context. Personally, it's a major annoyance to use one character as a scapegoat often; no more apparent is the show doing it with Raphael. Like I said, I can tolerate issues to an extent, but the exploration isn't well executed. I'm going to use comparison to both softie Raph and badass Raph in this show on the difference. Let's start with emotional Raphael:

Arguably the common example of this series is to use Spike/Slash and for good reason. Raph often interacted with the turtle to convey why Raphael has issues in the show, especially with his family. Eventually, it blossomed into Raph having to fight the monster he created who became like an attack dog; even then Raphael did show compassion when he's under guilt for what he did. Similarly it also happened with Karai's debut in New Girl in Town during the leadership; after Michelangelo was knocked out by Snakeweed, Raph didn't keep fighting. Instead he held back with him and Donnie taking Mike back to the lair before Raph went to Leo and Karai. These examples came from the very beginning, where Raph was caring to his family even if he's driven crazy by the household.

In comparison, take a look at other relationships in the show for this character. Given we go by recent memory, take Mona Lisa as a prime example. Besides the given motivation of her similarities to Raph, why do these two have an attraction? Not only is out of character for Raph to suddenly like her even as a teen crush, Mona is similar for suddenly liking him even as a tough guy. The chemistry was rushed throughout to make Raph macho to impress a creature he just met.

As for tough guy Raph, it's downplayed often. Cockroach Terminator shows the tough guy persona obviously to face a fear, but others include Slash and Destroy to protect those you love, the recent Dinosaurs Seen in Sewers with fighting Zog and even the commencing of Casey and Raph's barely utilized friendship. Compare that to now, the only macho thing done was fighting the dragons on a planet with differing abilities abnormal from Earth, such as with the moon decreasing our weight. In addition, the only cool moment was the rematch against Rocksteady with the retromutagen in Pig and the Rhino. ("But I didn't!") I'm not asking for Raph to be a tough guy each time, but the little moments sprinkled in assist the matters on a character who never develops without limelight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Oh, and on the subject of Raph. He's not portrayed horribly in this show, but he's definitely got the worst of it out of the four in this show. When was the last time you ever saw Raph be a badass? Seriously. When? The last time I can remember, personally, is in Cockroach Terminator, an episode that premiered over two years ago. I mean, if they want to make fun of Raph by making him the butt of jokes the way they do, it'd probably be funny if we actually saw him be more like the actual characterization of Raphael. And, hell, if you want a big softie Raph, guess what? The last time we saw him as a big softie at all was in "Within The Woods", the Season 3 premiere. Hasn't been like that since then. At all. In fact, not being able to stay consistent with his characterization is exactly why this incarnation of Raph is a bad character.
And there are more examples that I won't list due to length. Seriously, man, at least try to make a counter-point. Don't deny what's been reiterated countless times in this thread.
But I will admit Raph got a lot better treatment in this morning's episode than recently.
__________________
"Oh Turtles! Oh Turtles! Chew your gum properly."
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello (Heart of Evil)
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #85
Papenbrook
"Zero-Dollar" Sonic
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: No comment -_- ...
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy One View Post
I'm not trying to be PK. Please enlighten me with examples of underdevelopment? Because every example I've seen is season 1 or 2. As I've always said, PK, I can respect complaints. But tell me, how you go from 'oh Raph needs more tgis, Raph needs to be that' to 'NO ONE BESIDES LEO developed'.

Sorry, but that is nowhere near the truth and I just expressed that, PK, as respectfully as I can. If my memory is correct you have done this just as much, if not more.
But let's not argue, ok. I get it. You got your opinion and I've got mine
I never said anything about Leo getting the most development. I said that Raph, and to an extent, the show as a whole, is lacking development. So please, stop confronting every dissent. It doesn't help any of us.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 11-15-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #86
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.
 
GoldMutant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kraken View Post
I never said anything about Leo getting the most development. I said that Raph, and to an extent, the show as a whole, is lacking development. So please, stop confronting every dissent. It doesn't help any of us.
I think what Happy is referring to is people bouncing off from being why Raph has no attention and comparing it to Leo. He doesn't mean you in the slightest.

What I do know is this, we're at a point in animation where we've grown accustomed to everything. We appreciate the art and the greater the writing or characters, the further we get immersed. This show clearly can pass certain boundaries since Shredder almost impaled Leo in season 1, we saw painful mutations throughout season 1 to 3, Leo nearly killed in 2, onscreen deaths in season 3, etc. Plus, this is the same network where Spongebob aired two suicide episodes, an episode on murder, and so on and so forth; it's also the same network that gave us Korra and Avatar.

Anyone who wants to defend the boundaries taken can attempt, but when this show has done it before it can be done. And Happy, the fact you danced around every point I've made or anyone else shows you can't handle this criticism. You haven't refuted anything and everyone who argues with you has provided points throughout the show; I've done that especially with the treatment. Seriously, this argument is getting ridiculous, but if it needs to proceed oh well.
__________________
Quote:
"It's only natural for living creatures to fight to protect their own lives. But what makes us human is that we fight for others. But who do you fight for? How hard must you fight...? That's the true measure of what human life is worth. Even when the battle's over, and the bonds that connect us are severed... We always return... Time and time again." -Phoenix Wright
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #87
Papenbrook
"Zero-Dollar" Sonic
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: No comment -_- ...
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
I think what Happy is referring to is people bouncing off from being why Raph has no attention and comparing it to Leo. He doesn't mean you in the slightest.

What I do know is this, we're at a point in animation where we've grown accustomed to everything. We appreciate the art and the greater the writing or characters, the further we get immersed. This show clearly can pass certain boundaries since Shredder almost impaled Leo in season 1, we saw painful mutations throughout season 1 to 3, Leo nearly killed in 2, onscreen deaths in season 3, etc. Plus, this is the same network where Spongebob aired two suicide episodes, an episode on murder, and so on and so forth; it's also the same network that gave us Korra and Avatar.

Anyone who wants to defend the boundaries taken can attempt, but when this show has done it before it can be done. And Happy, the fact you danced around every point I've made or anyone else shows you can't handle this criticism. You haven't refuted anything and everyone who argues with you has provided points throughout the show; I've done that especially with the treatment. Seriously, this argument is getting ridiculous, but if it needs to proceed oh well.
Oh. I thought he was.

Happy, if you are reading this, I am not trying to attack anyone who works on the show. I am just typing my grievances. Please, don't take it the wrong way.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #88
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
(Unsure if quote will let me say what I need) I'll say it one last time to reiterate:

By "development", Leo is the only one growing as a character easily seen throughout season 3 psychologically. He's the only Turtle I can see actual growth in; though rushing the healing hands seems jarring to be a last minute resolve to the Karai plot in The Deadly Venom. Now, as for the other Turtles I"m going to point this out:

Donatello- I don't see a single development other than the love triangle fading into nonexistent. Aaron did point this out in season 2, but the last time I felt Donnie was an actual character was the rampaging Timothy in Mutagen Man Unleashed due to him in a harsh conflict of freezing the poor sap. The majority of season 2 did give him plot, but that's my main issue here. Donnie gets a large amount of plot which I respect, but most of them go absolutely nowhere or are rushed. A big one was the retromutagen which while hinted at up to Slash and Destroy went on the backburner, even then the passing mentions are not there. It's a prominent issue outside why Donatello is being close to a death;y brink; it's a 180 of his development. Unless they hint at more of his smarts or utilizing his character properly, I don't see growth.

Michelangelo- Oh boy here we go, the big one to me. Mikey possesses no growth at all; while I know this version can be handled for episodic focus, I don't see growth. Mikey might not be in the same boat with horrible treatment as Raphael, but of the four brothers I honestly think he's the second worst; if not then Mikey is possibly the worst written turtle in the series. The Croaking is all I have to say because after his growth in season 2's conclusion with Wrath of Tiger Claw, Kuro Kabuto, Dimension X, and Invasion all of it goes missing by this episode in season 3. He screws up for.... no reason whatsoever and rewarded when he caused the Punk Frogs to enter the farmhouse. I know for a fact Mikey wouldn't be this stupid, but why is it he's trusting of Napoleon whereas the previous episode he doesn't trust "Mrs. O'Neil?"

I can mention many things of each time Cipes' Mikey does an awesome moment, he takes two steps back in development. No more apparent is he bad then from the crush on Renet all the way to Dumb Don. That crush was beyond atrocious, completely out of the blue and makes Mikey a love sick puppy; I couldn't stand this behavior at all in the episode because of it being sudden. When compared to Leo, Don, or even Raph's relationships, Mikey's enters left field so suddenly even as a crush. Granted, Mega Shredder and Yokai made him how I want a Michelangelo; then Creeping Doom comes and the character falls flat again to be an idiot. When a character as comic relief does this often, I don't laugh, I facepalm at the insulting nature. So, Michelangelo might have grown in the past but each time his idiocy in the show destroys that development.

Raphael- I would have no problem with exploration if what happens are explained in context. Personally, it's a major annoyance to use one character as a scapegoat often; no more apparent is the show doing it with Raphael. Like I said, I can tolerate issues to an extent, but the exploration isn't well executed. I'm going to use comparison to both softie Raph and badass Raph in this show on the difference. Let's start with emotional Raphael:

Arguably the common example of this series is to use Spike/Slash and for good reason. Raph often interacted with the turtle to convey why Raphael has issues in the show, especially with his family. Eventually, it blossomed into Raph having to fight the monster he created who became like an attack dog; even then Raphael did show compassion when he's under guilt for what he did. Similarly it also happened with Karai's debut in New Girl in Town during the leadership; after Michelangelo was knocked out by Snakeweed, Raph didn't keep fighting. Instead he held back with him and Donnie taking Mike back to the lair before Raph went to Leo and Karai. These examples came from the very beginning, where Raph was caring to his family even if he's driven crazy by the household.

In comparison, take a look at other relationships in the show for this character. Given we go by recent memory, take Mona Lisa as a prime example. Besides the given motivation of her similarities to Raph, why do these two have an attraction? Not only is out of character for Raph to suddenly like her even as a teen crush, Mona is similar for suddenly liking him even as a tough guy. The chemistry was rushed throughout to make Raph macho to impress a creature he just met.

As for tough guy Raph, it's downplayed often. Cockroach Terminator shows the tough guy persona obviously to face a fear, but others include Slash and Destroy to protect those you love, the recent Dinosaurs Seen in Sewers with fighting Zog and even the commencing of Casey and Raph's barely utilized friendship. Compare that to now, the only macho thing done was fighting the dragons on a planet with differing abilities abnormal from Earth, such as with the moon decreasing our weight. In addition, the only cool moment was the rematch against Rocksteady with the retromutagen in Pig and the Rhino. ("But I didn't!") I'm not asking for Raph to be a tough guy each time, but the little moments sprinkled in assist the matters on a character who never develops without limelight.

To me, Raphael should be a mixture of emotions while still facing a demon within himself should his anger get the best. (A Shredder dream maybe?) While softness in a character should be done with Raph to make him three dimensional, other traits are severely downplayed. I know a character can be macho while also caring towards everyone; people might think it's wrong but Vegeta from DBZ is kind of an example, even if vague. Declining these traits doesn't help matters, it further weakens the character and doesn't show development, especially when a particular trait takes over from episode to episode. (Must I mention Clash in comparison to Mega Shredder, Turtle Temper, anything with Spike, etc.?)

People enjoy what they want, a personal taste of it being apples to oranges or DC to Marvel. I'll need examples from you as to how and why these four grow, specifically from episode to episode. I can agree on Leo, but the others I can't defend. I haven't seen an ounce of development for good reason because I don't encounter a passing mention or the development goes two steps backwards. Maybe I'll be wrong in season 4, but until then Don loosely and especially both Raph and Mikey aren't getting their proper treatment developmental wise.

Leo- Has grown as a leader. He is learning to trust and accept the opinions and suggestions of his brothers. However there is still much he need to learn about how to becoming a leader of a functioning team as there are times he still acts on his own because he feels it's for the better of the team.

Raph-Used to get angry at every turn and would find any reason to exert dominance over his brothers. But like they said they said in the Kicking Shell and Taking named video. Raph is angry all the time because he's the most sensitive. Raph's anger still is an issue, however he now accept that Leadership isn't getting your way all the time. He has been more tolerant of Donnie's explanations, and there have been numerous moments where he had jumped in to save one of his brothers from harm, particularly Mikey as he is the only one Raph calls "Little Brother" affectionately. And has proven himself as an alternate leader in Leo's absence.

Donnie-Used to have the meeker personality to everyone else. He wouldn't really have any opinions of his own, instead he would follow which ever brother had the stronger argument. And he would cave to Raph most of the times when Raph threatened him with bodily harm. He also was the weakest fighter on the team, partially due to the fact he would approach battle like a game of chess and would be too busy calculating his next move over what is happening in the moment. He now is boldly stating his opinion in regards to missions and what should be done. He also asserts some clout as a leader particularly with his off shoot group between April, Casey, and himself. And he also shows he does have a knack for diplomacy when the situation calls for it. Which will be only become stronger as he embraces parts of himself that he hasn't accepted yet.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #89
The Happy One
Hench Mutant
 
The Happy One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The...Earth??
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
You have clearly not been reading the thread.





And there are more examples that I won't list due to length. Seriously, man, at least try to make a counter-point. Don't deny what's been reiterated countless times in this thread.
But I will admit Raph got a lot better treatment in this morning's episode than recently.
Yikes, I can see how I wasn't making a point by stating the obvious
So...here I go. I hope it makes sense

In Season 3 we saw Raph mellow out, take the responsibility of leading his remaining brothers. He took over training and made sure Leo was recovering. And while Raph may have appear to lose that toughness he transformed it into passion. Vision Quest showed that perfectly- for each one of the turtles, I think.

We saw Donnie let go of the past and focus himself on his family- on what's real and not a fantasy in his head. He respected Leonardo's leadership more and understood his place, and at the same time he respected himself more. We saw him over time become more skilkful, a more tactful fighter, calm and fluid in movement and still very powerful.

We've seen Mikey blossom too. He's focused and still doesn't lack that raw, unpredictable talent- in fact, just like all his bros, it's enhanced. He's experienced and often- like in Into Dimension X or Battle For New York- used his insightfulness and unorthadox skill and knowledge to get them out of tough spots. And, yeah, he's still a goof, but he's definitely got balance- more so than in season 1 or 2.

And those are just to name a few, really.

So, yes, they most certainly have developed. Maybe it's not in the way a couple of these guys want or expected- but they cannot say there is no development.

I hope that clears it up a bit on where I'm coming from

Am I way off with this, or.....???

And Pk, it all good. I wasn't specifically talking about you

And Gold, I can handle it, but when I see something I disagree on I tend to express my view point on it as well. I did agree with you on some points, though. It just seems like every chance some people get they jump down the creators' throats about Raph and I just hate that, sorry. Its not you, Gold, or anyone personally- I really think you're a cool dude. Just making a point (which I guess I wasn't very good at until a few minutes ago ).

But I think we can drop it now. You're right in that it's nothing to fight over.

Last edited by The Happy One; 11-15-2015 at 03:45 PM.
The Happy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #90
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,424
So, I know this is a very old thread, but I decided to watch the Nick show again, and those feelings I had then, came back. It starts great, and then by middle of season 3, I get so disappointed with what is happening to my favorite Turtle that I just gave up and stopped watching.

So, if anyone is still on here, how did everything pan out for Raph in the end of the series? Did it get better or worse? How about Mikey, because it seemed like he too wasn't getting much development.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:39 PM   #91
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35,622
Raph is treated fine. He's my favorite Turtle and I loved this version of him.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:01 AM   #92
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Raph is treated fine. He's my favorite Turtle and I loved this version of him.
Then you must have very low standards. Seriously, name me at least 3 episodes since season 3 where he saved the day against a major villain.

Last edited by Warhorse; 01-06-2020 at 02:28 AM.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #93
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Then you must have very low standards. Seriously, name me at least 3 episodes since season 3 where he saved the day against a major villain.
Why does he have to save the day? Why are you acting like this is a competition between Raph or the other Turtles? I liked him because he had a great character, funny moments and good fight scenes. Iím not going to remember random eps off the top of my head, Iíve only seen each ep twice and that was a few years ago now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #94
Dejablue
Hench Mutant
 
Dejablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In the USA
Posts: 431
Honestly at first I thought I'd hate Rise Raph but when I do watch the show I often think he's the most enjoyable turtle. Possibly because I find him much less annoying than the other 3. Also he reminds me of Boom Knuckles which is a huge plus.

EDIT: Wow Oh wait I'm an idiot. I thought this thread was in the Rise section. Whoops.

Okay so 2k12 Raphael? Well development wise he did pretty well imo. Because, just like in the 2k3 series, Leo is the only turtle who actually got developed in any significant permanent way. Raphael, Mikey, and Don have "moments" but nothing about who they were ever permanently changed after some significant moment. I think Raph taking charge of training in season 3 is the one real time he shined a an individual. Though I'll go out and say if anything was treated...well...rushed was his relationship with MonaLisa, which came out of nowhere and went nowhere. But at the end I ...think we're supposed to believe they are a couple? TMNT's track record with romance is pretty bad.
__________________

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 01-06-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:08 PM   #95
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why does he have to save the day? Why are you acting like this is a competition between Raph or the other Turtles? I liked him because he had a great character, funny moments and good fight scenes. Iím not going to remember random eps off the top of my head, Iíve only seen each ep twice and that was a few years ago now.
Because it's fun to see your favorite turtle save the day, and I also like it when the show is evenly balanced so it shows that each Turtle has his role to play in the team, and well, this show dropped the ball bad on both Raph and Mikey. Seriously, with April and Casey actually saving the day far more than Raph and Mikey, why even bother having them in the show?

And thanks for proving my point, that Raph fans were given the finger once season 3 came around since you can't remember anything memorable about him in the show afterwards.

Personally, I gave it till the Raph turns bad arc to see if things would turn around, but they didn't, and I got board and disheartened with seeing my favorite character treated like crap, so I checked out. By the looks of the ratings going downhill about the same time, I wasn't the only one. Raphael tends to be the majority favorite with the public. Don't give them what they want, they bail. And don't bother giving me this crap "oh, they only wanted 5 seasons" or Ciro wouldn't be whining now about wanting to do a movie.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:23 PM   #96
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Honestly at first I thought I'd hate Rise Raph but when I do watch the show I often think he's the most enjoyable turtle. Possibly because I find him much less annoying than the other 3. Also he reminds me of Boom Knuckles which is a huge plus.

EDIT: Wow Oh wait I'm an idiot. I thought this thread was in the Rise section. Whoops.

Okay so 2k12 Raphael? Well development wise he did pretty well imo. Because, just like in the 2k3 series, Leo is the only turtle who actually got developed in any significant permanent way. Raphael, Mikey, and Don have "moments" but nothing about who they were ever permanently changed after some significant moment. I think Raph taking charge of training in season 3 is the one real time he shined a an individual. Though I'll go out and say if anything was treated...well...rushed was his relationship with MonaLisa, which came out of nowhere and went nowhere. But at the end I ...think we're supposed to believe they are a couple? TMNT's track record with romance is pretty bad.
Don't worry about getting the threads mixed up. But thanks for the chuckle.

I agree with season 3 being promising, but for some reason the showrunners were adamant on so much of the story revolving around April. She's supposed to be the supporting character, not the character that the majority of the story revolves around. I would start to notice more and more, the interactions, adventures and team ups of the brothers themselves were taking a back seat to one of the Turtles being teamed up with one of the humans. That too could have hurt the ratings. Sorry, but April was boring and Casey pining for her was boring as well. Leo and Karai's stories were exciting, because at least Karai was interesting as a character. Shame, too bad the show didn't have the balls to write off April in season 2 and have Karai be the one tagging along with them.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #97
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post

Personally, I gave it till the Raph turns bad arc to see if things would turn around, but they didn't, and I got board and disheartened with seeing my favorite character treated like crap, so I checked out. By the looks of the ratings going downhill about the same time, I wasn't the only one. Raphael tends to be the majority favorite with the public. Don't give them what they want, they bail. And don't bother giving me this crap "oh, they only wanted 5 seasons" or Ciro wouldn't be whining now about wanting to do a movie.
Raphael was handled fine all series, and has a lot of focus in Season 4 with Mona Lisa, and great fight scenes and arcs in every series. He does the most fighting of all the Turtles.

Also ratings have nothing to do with the show or how characters are handled, ratings for everything on TV declined in the 2010's decade as it went on due to online streaming becoming mainstream and TV becoming less important. Little kids don't have to watch on TV when it was streamed online and put on itunes or Nick's site.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #98
Dejablue
Hench Mutant
 
Dejablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In the USA
Posts: 431
Honestly I feel like Casey and Raph's friendship was one of the best things in the show.

One of the worst things was the love triangle. Because it was never resolved. I remember the great NaruSaku vs NaruHina wars of old so I can say with confidence that the writers of this show dragged out the triangle on purpose, knowing it would generate conversation and views within its young audience. Very cute at first in my opinion but I was sick of it by season 3.

One of the most perplexing things was April and her powers. Mostly because it was never concluded and in the end it added nothing to the narrative other than giving April a reason to still exist because she could fight. I wonder if they ran out of time and had to cut the subplot all together.

They could have done something interesting and made April the queen of the utroms or something, or some kind of middle man between the good utrom and Earth (And you could easily make that some kind of background situation that would steadily ease April into more of a background character role) Or at least used her mysterious origins as a spring board into how the turtles first discover dimension X. But she wasn't necessary for that. We never even learn the fate of her mother, thus her subplot fizzles out into nothing.
__________________

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 01-08-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.