The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #401
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Maybe they would have to pay royalties to the creator of iromatic syndrome and they don't feel like paying the money.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #402
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah I thought the same thing with the mind melding, obviously an easy way for them to get the message to the synths but no, they needed to do it another way.

The Borg cube was an easy defeat, I didn't know where the story would go there but didn't really expect this, see what they do with that and Seven I guess.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #403
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

CBS needs to scrape together a ton of money and bring back Ronald D. Moore and Ira Steven Behr.

I think this was the nail in the coffin for me. I'll keep watching, but I'm done hoping for anything good from Kurtzman and Chabon.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #404
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
CBS needs to scrape together a ton of money and bring back Ronald D. Moore and Ira Steven Behr.
That would be wonderful.

Also, how sad is it that of all the crazy theories about how Data or Lore would come back in this or that way... they do none of that and go about the dumbest possible route imagineable. In fact, it's not even imagineable. "What if Soongh had a biological son!" wouldn't even enter into the brain of a Trek fan.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-20-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:27 PM   #405
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That would be wonderful.

Also, how sad is it that of all the crazy theories about how Data or Lore would come back in this or that way... they do none of that and go about the dumbest possible route imagineable. In fact, it's not even imagineable. "What if Soongh had a biological son!" wouldn't even enter into the brain of a Trek fan.

I'm holding out hope that the synth body Soong-lite was working on will somehow house Data for his return, but given we have one episode left in the season, probably not.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #406
Galactus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
And with Enterprise fresh in my mind, the mind meld rape episode. They say that only some Vulcans are born with the ability to mind-meld... it's a genetic thing.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the inference in the early Enterprise episodes which dealt with mind melds is that all Vulans could so it but in the time the show is set it had been repressed like their emotions and seen as wrong by everyone save a a few dissenters. The second episode that deals with it (I forget the title) kinda uses it as an AIDS allegory.

The Season 4 three parter shows that all Vulcans can do it. By the time of Kirk it's a norm among them.

Still it's somewhat suspect that other species can learn how to do it let along synthetic lifeforms.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #407
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the inference in the early Enterprise episodes which dealt with mind melds is that all Vulans could so it but in the time the show is set it had been repressed like their emotions and seen as wrong by everyone save a a few dissenters. The second episode that deals with it (I forget the title) kinda uses it as an AIDS allegory.

The Season 4 three parter shows that all Vulcans can do it. By the time of Kirk it's a norm among them.

Still it's somewhat suspect that other species can learn how to do it let along synthetic lifeforms.
No, the mind meld rape episode, the Vulcans say that only some Vulcans are born with that ability. Maybe after a certain point, only Vulcans that can mind meld are sought to go into the service.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #408
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
No, the mind meld rape episode, the Vulcans say that only some Vulcans are born with that ability. Maybe after a certain point, only Vulcans that can mind meld are sought to go into the service.
But could it have been misinformation or simply incorrect assumptions? Pretty easy to retcon it as such.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #409
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
But could it have been misinformation or simply incorrect assumptions? Pretty easy to retcon it as such.
True. In my head I took it as, misinformation so that if any Vulcan realized they had the ability (as in, all of them) to mind meld, they would be ashamed and never admit to it.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #410
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Wait...wha!?

Old 03-20-2020, 10:30 PM   #411
IMJ
Mad Scientist

I hate to say it but that would be so much better than a secret son of Soong.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:53 AM   #412
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Shesus. I guess that'd redeem things a smidge. Though it'd introduce a huge thing they'd have to take time and explain in the final episode that has to do... a lot. That you know the majority of will be spent on a space battle.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #413
Vegita-San
Emperor

So, I'm watching this series with all the downtime.

It's super frustrating. It could be a great continutation. except for some minor things.

- All the swearing. Totally un needed. humanity had evolved past that. If that makes your humans too boring, that's your problem as a writer.

- Admirals being jerks. pretty much par for the course for being an admiral in starfleet.

- the synths as workers. This is totally going against what they where working for and towards in the original series. and continued with voyager and the Doctor with his trial. How does a society fall that fast in only 20 years?

- The Romulan undercover plot. OK. I'm willing to run with it. but, how do they have the resources to suddenly start doing this with their entire homeworld gone?

- the androids going evil. to me, it seems like this super secret romulan society infiltrated their minds, and used them to destroy themselves...and further stop star fleet from developing future androids with one big disaster on their hands.

-subtle racism toward androids. also didn't feel right.

- an android that looks human. that's all they had to say. and what I think they where trying to imply with dahj. none of this super secret nonsensical science stuff. the problem with non sci fi writers and non fans trying to write star trek. they over complicate things.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #414
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I hate to say it but that would be so much better than a secret son of Soong.
Yeah, but CBS All Access Star Trek has a real boner for secret family members that you never knew existed. Though to be fair, it is kind of par for the course for both Spock and Data already.... we never knew about Lore, or Juliana Tainer, or B4, until we did. And we never knew about Sarek, or Sybok, until we did.

But it still galls me.

And anyway, the showrunners of Star Trek Picard have already avoided referencing a VERY important android in Data's life... Lal. Not a single mention of her.

Trust me, new Soong is exactly what he appears. He ain't Lore. There's no way the showrunners mention a character they've studiously ignored up until the very last episode.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #415
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah, but CBS All Access Star Trek has a real boner for secret family members that you never knew existed. Though to be fair, it is kind of par for the course for both Spock and Data already.... we never knew about Lore, or Juliana Tainer, or B4, until we did. And we never knew about Sarek, or Sybok, until we did.

But it still galls me.

And anyway, the showrunners of Star Trek Picard have already avoided referencing a VERY important android in Data's life... Lal. Not a single mention of her.

Trust me, new Soong is exactly what he appears. He ain't Lore. There's no way the showrunners mention a character they've studiously ignored up until the very last episode.
I don't think so either. But the problem is that there are so many ways that could've made this whole thing better. Any of the "lovey" dialog with Raffey and Picard should be for Picard and some of the Next Gen crew. Data could be brought back organically, or be put in Soong's new body that appeared this episode. I don't know, I could go on.

I don't know how it's going to wrap up, but I get the feeling that this show might never fill or complete the emotional gap that was left by Nemesis, and that's what I was really hoping for.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #416
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Elnor actor wants to explore his sexuality in season 2:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.c...-12446863/amp/
Old 03-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #417
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Old 03-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #418
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Spoiler:
Leave it to Jonathan Frakes and Will Riker to bring the best moments to this series in the last freaking episode. Lots I winced at, but seeing Captain Riker in action even for a few minutes was the best thing this series has done.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #419
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Spoiler:
Leave it to Jonathan Frakes and Will Riker to bring the best moments to this series in the last freaking episode. Lots I winced at, but seeing Captain Riker in action even for a few minutes was the best thing this series has done.
Yesssssss.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 PM   #420
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It wasn't enough. What a horrific episode.

Tags
goodbye hugh and icheb, picard action hero