The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #41
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Thank you, Sumac. Again, apology accepted. A lot of people do fall back on name calling when presented with data they can't refute.

The thing that blows my mind is that there should be plenty of competing studies out there that contradict what I'm saying. But no one seems interested in finding it. So it's not that what I say can't be refuted. . . are you afraid of doing the footwork?

So we're not really having a discussion here. There's just some claim I have to research. I find some reports, then everyone calls me names for reading relevant materials and comparing it to what they've said. Which, I must say, doesn't do much to sway me to your side.

Me: "Hey, I found this article that says something different than what you've said. It's published by the same government headed by people who agree with you."

You Guys: "Go drink some soy, cuck!"

Me: "I never thought of it like that. Consider my mind changed!"
Old 03-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #42
Sumac
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Thank you, Sumac. Again, apology accepted. A lot of people do fall back on name calling when presented with data they can't refute.

The thing that blows my mind is that there should be plenty of competing studies out there that contradict what I'm saying. But no one seems interested in finding it. So it's not that what I say can't be refuted. . . are you afraid of doing the footwork?

So we're not really having a discussion here. There's just some claim I have to research. I find some reports, then everyone calls me names for reading relevant materials and comparing it to what they've said. Which, I must say, doesn't do much to sway me to your side.

Me: "Hey, I found this article that says something different than what you've said. It's published by the same government headed by people who agree with you."

You Guys: "Go drink some soy, cuck!"

Me: "I never thought of it like that. Consider my mind changed!"
You know what is the main problem of the people like you? You think you are smarter than everyone, without being able to back it up.

As they say: "arrogance will be your undoing", which we can see in our world with people like you and this particular example on this particular forum right now.

I wasn't even refuting any of your "precious hard found information". I provided commentary / additions on three specific quotes of your longpost. And that's it. But it seems you have an conversation with a "alt-right Sumac" that lives rent-free in your head and calls you boo-boo names, instead of the real thing.

My advice: next time when you try to look smart, try to read what was written and not assume that everyone who comments on your novels are inherently trying to viciously argue with your points. Because, right now, you've put yourself into really awkward situation, by claiming victory in a discussion you had with yourself, answering to the points which were never've been risen by anyone in actuality, but existed only in your imagination.

Of course, if that's the only way you can win anything...please, be my guest.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #43
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

The Coronavirus death toll is still raising and California just confirm its first case. The news says that a vaccine can be ready in 6 months.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise

So just to take a second and go onto something I read a few times over the years, but I thought it was pretty well accepted as fact by now that hand sanitizer is kind of a joke and is no substitute for simply washing one's hands with soap and hot water for more than five seconds? Did that suddenly change? Or is it just a "better safe than sorry" thing?

I know for a fact that nobody washes their goddamn hands properly, since I'm around people all the time and am something of a low-level germaphobe on account of I used to get sick a lot. But as I understand it, hand sanitizer doesn't do much of anything if you don't actually, y'know, wash your f*cking hands.

Did I miss a meeting?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Old 03-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #45
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
So just to take a second and go onto something I read a few times over the years, but I thought it was pretty well accepted as fact by now that hand sanitizer is kind of a joke and is no substitute for simply washing one's hands with soap and hot water for more than five seconds? Did that suddenly change? Or is it just a "better safe than sorry" thing?

I know for a fact that nobody washes their goddamn hands properly, since I'm around people all the time and am something of a low-level germaphobe on account of I used to get sick a lot. But as I understand it, hand sanitizer doesn't do much of anything if you don't actually, y'know, wash your f*cking hands.

Did I miss a meeting?
I've got maybe three things on that - one is training grade, the other is something I've read the last few days and the third is experiential.

The training thing is that in first responder training we were taught that the best decontamination is soap and water in repetition, and that the "magic number" is 20 seconds. It seems that healthcare officials widely don't even care why this is. It's simple enough that 20 seconds is the magic number when most foreign particles simply dislodge from skin adhesion under soap as it breaks water on your skin.

The thing I read was that making hand sanitizer at home is apparently pretty easy if you want to do it using rubbing alcohol, aloe vera lotion and something scented if you care about that kind of thing. And apparently it's pretty easy to make it at a greater than 60% alcohol ratio, which I guess is the minimum recommended.

The experiential thing is that I had a search event take place in a small, confined and contaminated area once. The mitigation action by the nurses was to pour bleach on my hands and then rinse them under running water. True story and I followed their protocol, but I couldn't help but wonder if this was problematic. Nothing ever came of it in my case, which is good. But I wouldn't recommend it. I later found that doing this can actually make your skin dry out, causing micro-fissures in your hands where contaminants could actually get under your skin. So basically, back to square one, man. Soap and water, magic number is 20 seconds.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:40 PM   #46
Leo656
The Franchise

Huh. Imagine that.

Last show I was at, I went to take a piss during intermission and I seen a kid, maybe 7 or 8 years old, come in, piss, and walk right out without even looking at the sink. Took everything I had not to bark "Wash your f*cking hands!" but there were too many people around and I didn't wanna make a scene.

But based on that fifteen seconds I assume the kid's a scumbag and his Dad's probably a jagoff.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well... there's the hand-washing you do in the public restroom by yourself, and then there's the hand-washing you do when there's on-lookers.

Except after #2. That's nasty. #1, I mean... I know my d*** is clean, right?
Old 03-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #48
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well... there's the hand-washing you do in the public restroom by yourself, and then there's the hand-washing you do when there's on-lookers.

No, no, no.... okay see I've had this conversation with my buddies.
So here it is, so be prepared to puke.....

See maybe you're dick is clean, but certainly there was a dirty dick there before you, and then you realize that the dirty-dick-guy held his dirty-dick and then flushed the toilet with the dirty-dick-hand. And then you flushed the toilet.

So yeah. Wash your hands after number 1 because someone's dick is always dirty.

See? I look out for you guys.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #49
Leo656
The Franchise

Plus there's bound to be some splashback. Microbes, and whatever.

Just wash your f*cking hands, people. If you're near a sink at all, even if you don't think you have to... just wash your f*cking hands. It's a minor inconvenience in exchange for not spreading filth everywhere.

I cannot stand feeling "filmy" or sticky even a little bit so I probably wash more than is necessary. Not compulsively or obsessively, but I'm definitely thorough. I know some people who don't even f*cking shower "Because I'm not going anywhere" or "I'm not trying to impress anybody", and that's just... well, I don't put myself in their sphere of influence very often, let's just put it that way. But some people have very "interesting" ideas about hygiene.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:37 AM   #50
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Had a discussion about hand sanitizer in class. Word is that alcohol based hand sanitizers with higher than 60% alcohol are effective at killing coronavirus. It isn't capable of killing all viruses due to difference in their chemical makeups.

Also, from what I understand, it's 15 seconds. 5 seconds doesn't do nearly as much.

Either way, wash your hands.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #51
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
No, no, no.... okay see I've had this conversation with my buddies.
So here it is, so be prepared to puke.....

See maybe you're dick is clean, but certainly there was a dirty dick there before you, and then you realize that the dirty-dick-guy held his dirty-dick and then flushed the toilet with the dirty-dick-hand. And then you flushed the toilet.

So yeah. Wash your hands after number 1 because someone's dick is always dirty.

See? I look out for you guys.
Furthermore... Some people may be fine with their own germs, but look, other than their partner probably NO ONE wants anything to do with any of that. And people who don't wash after having their hands up in their junk in the bathroom (and coming into contact with the germs of others as well) just give me somewhat horrifying visions of them afterward going to, say...make a sandwich and have their hands all up on the lunch meat that no one cooks and will sit there and stew in whatever the hell crotch bugs they left behind on it.

OH HELL NO. No no no no. This is why people end up with fun bouts of diarrhea or whatever.

I always wash so it annoys me when others don't give other people the same common courtesy of doing the same.

As for the hand sanitizer, the alcohol is going to naturally be good at killing things. Maybe not all things, but it can certainly help. I always keep some with me for work, using it after each stop and during on occasion if need be. Soap and water may be just as recommended or more-so, but obviously that's not always available or convenient.

edit: Random thought... What about physical money? The sort of things like that which are easy to overlook? The virus may have a limited lifespan on surfaces outside of a host, but paper and coin cash can change through multiple hands so quickly.

Cash; gas pumps; the ATM; the checkout card reader (that most probably already consider gross anyhow). What about all the mail that the postal person comes in contact with every day via people who'd placed it in their mailbox only hours (or less) ago, and/or a virus carrying mailman/woman potentially spreading it to an entire community?

Could make you a little neurotic to consider all the ways it could sneak in, but many options are there.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-06-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:12 PM   #52
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

"Now you forgot , wash your hands !" (Walken , Nick of Time)
Old 03-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #53
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

When you saw that recipe online a few days ago for how to make your own hand sanitizer, but you're left weighing the options between...

A. ...visiting a store on the busy weekend and seeing if people haven't yet wiped out those ingredients, or
B. ...stay home and keep away from those people out there that make you need the stuff in the first place.

Edit: Probably option C. ...look while I'm out during the week for work anyhow and shrug if nothing there.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #54
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hotel-col...154017056.html

One of the quarantine facilities in eastern China where the virus originated was an 80 room hotel. It collapsed this morning with 70 people still trapped in the rubble. At least 40 people have been rescued and no death toll has been reported. The rescue mission is ongoing. An investigation will follow to learn what caused the hotel to collapse without warning.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

Old 03-07-2020, 04:38 PM   #55
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

What the heck, that's awful. Was it a former/abandoned property that they didn't bother checking to see if it was still structurally sound? Too sad.

My lil' state is surrounded now... If it isn't here within a week I'll be surprised, esp since it's nearby parts of PA and Jersey that have cases and their residents are always coming over here. Was wondering who the next northeast state would be to fall since there's just a few holdouts and looks like CT is it today, via hospital staff that are residents of NY. Nice.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:48 AM   #56
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

With the virus remaining asymptomatic for days, it's probably a safe bet that's more widespread than is being reported.

Two cases just popped up in my city. I'm surprised, because we're a pretty large tourist town, I'd have figured it have been more prevalent here. Not to mention we're pretty close to a major urban center with one of the higher case rates in the nation.

Gotta wash those hands!
Old 03-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #57
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Looks like we lost Vermont, too. Okay Maine, you and us (DE) are the last northeast holdouts, who is going to win this? Bet it isn't us. (But do we unknowingly already have it.)
Old 03-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #58
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Me? Jersey already fell. Four presumptive cases already.

If I were you, I'd demand a sales tax to keep us filthy outsiders from visiting. I don't know many people who head to Wilmington for sightseeing. Kidding, of course. Delaware is a fun time.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #59
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Now that's just an unfair impossible choice, sales tax or temporary illness?? I most definitely do not want to be ill, I haven't even had a single cold this winter (knock on wood), I'd prefer to keep on that path (and not lose pay over it)... but a permanent tax is no better!
Old 03-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #60
Sumac
Foot Elite

Moscow here.
About 10 or so infected, but so far no major outbreak.

There are several contingency plans in case of major outbreak though, like closing the whole city down and shutting down all schools and public transportation, including subway.

People who arrived from countries with outbreak (Italy, China) should quarantine themselves for 2 weeks in their homes.