The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #81
joe-eyeball
Hench Mutant

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...virus-pandemic

This is getting crazy! NBA season suspended!
Old 03-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #82
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson tested got Corona Virus while in Australia

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/enter...2T01%3A42%3A29

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #83
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson test positive for the Coronavirus.

Oh my ! I'm really hoping that they will both be okay and are getting as much help as they can. Hanks has released a statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hanks
“Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.

Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks’ will be tested observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?

We’ll keep the world posted and updated.

Take care of yourselves!”
It happened while the couple was in Australia for production of Baz Luhrmann’s untitled Elvis Presley movie, in which Hanks is playing Presley’s iconic manager Colonel Tom Parker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner Bros.
We have been made aware that a company member from our Elvis feature film, which is currently in pre-production in The Gold Coast, Australia, has tested positive for COVID-19 (coronavirus),” the statement reads. “We are working closely with the appropriate Australian health agencies to identify and contact anyone who may have come in direct contact with the individual. The health and safety of our company members is always our top priority, and we are taking precautions to protect everyone who works on our productions around the world. The individual who tested positive for COVID-19 is currently receiving treatment.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/t...us-1203531498/
Old 03-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #84
sdp
Winsider

The thirty day Ban for Europe is going to kill the market. What a way to start the decade..
Old 03-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #85
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards has been postponed.
https://deadline.com/2020/03/kids-ch...ns-1202880391/
Old 03-11-2020, 10:09 PM   #86
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

GOP just blocked sick leave for employees. So you can't go see an NBA game you bought tickets for, but you better show up to work.

Luckily, Congress still gets it. Don't worry, folks! Ted Cruz and Matt "Gas Mask" Gaetz will be A-OK!

Back at it, slaves!

Last edited by Voltron; 03-11-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:26 PM   #87
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The thirty day Ban for Europe is going to kill the market. What a way to start the decade..
The markets already dyin' man. I wish I could explain my personal understanding of this, but the details I'd have to get into on this forum - it aint gonna happen. But the point is that the travel ban - I mean you've got to do something, you know?

My biggest issue is this - and I don't understand why more people aren't talking about this - okay so clearly the "social distancing" and trying to not get infected is only dragging things out because it seems like everyone is going to come into contact with this thing. And by dragging it out we are dragging out the market death and so on.

I think we should be putting more effort into production of mdical goods to aid in health recovery than the effort at instructing social distancing. The distancing isn't going to work quite the way we'd hope. So if 80% of people are going to get this thing, the only reason to drag it out might be to lessen an influx for medical care needs, I suppose. But it's also going to drag out the market drops as well.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #88
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Also, making medical supplies for. . . what? Most of the supplies are superficial. Most surgical masks are decorative. And hand washing is just good hygiene regardless. Compensating for shortages isn't going to stop this.

Rushing to find a vaccine or medicine to stop this is a fool's errand since the virus can evolve and change to combat our efforts.

Quote:
The markets already dyin' man. I wish I could explain my personal understanding of this, but the details I'd have to get into on this forum - it aint gonna happen.
No. Please, do.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:49 PM   #89
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My wife apparently drew blood from someone today at work who has it so... yeah.

I'm just not sure what all the noise about "why didn't we have access to free tests for it!" are. Even if it comes up that you have it... what are you supposed to do with that information? There is no cure or vaccine yet. Not go to work for a few days, I guess? But then what? Wait for some kind of bailout from the government?
Old 03-11-2020, 10:54 PM   #90
Roseangelo
Emperor

Reported cases keep getting closer to me, and they brought some of those cruise ship passengers into town for their quarantine.

I am planning to go to Disneyland in less than three weeks. Still planning to go.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #91
sdp
Winsider

Does the administration not have economic advisers? Besides the obvious answer, what was the purpose of that? It'll only hurt his re-election campaign, it was a lose-lose scenario, should've just skipped the conference and things would at least be better including for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wait for some kind of bailout from the government?
Yes, some type of signal that something is being done or markets will be protected. Not a bail out, stimulate the economy. Instead we got the opposite signal and now the reactions, we're already in a bear market, just wait until the western markets open.

Sexy Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
Old 03-11-2020, 11:19 PM   #92
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Yes, some type of signal that something is being done or markets will be protected. Not a bail out, stimulate the economy. Instead we got the opposite signal and now the reactions, we're already in a bear market, just wait until the western markets open.
OK. But that just speaks to the economy. To the core problem of the virus and its spread... just stay at home forever and not be able to pay rent? Or what? I get that there's no easy solution right now... but why the fire about testing? Though, eh... what would even BE a good solution?

Maybe some kind of bailout for older working folks to stay at home for a while, and treat it how we would for the regular flu for everyone else?
Old 03-11-2020, 11:20 PM   #93
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I’m gonna be honest. This is scaring me.

I know there’s been other illnesses like Swine Flu and Wes Nile. Not to make light of them. I’m sure they were legitimately bad for those affected but I’ve never actually feared the spread of an infection.

Some actually think everyone is overreacting. No. This is obviously a major deal. It’s unbelievable that some people would still leave the country just for vacation in the past few months. Like you just couldn’t resist a trip? Ridiculous.

It was mentioned a vaccine would take over a year to make.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:21 PM   #94
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Also, making medical supplies for. . . what? Most of the supplies are superficial. Most surgical masks are decorative. And hand washing is just good hygiene regardless. Compensating for shortages isn't going to stop this.

Rushing to find a vaccine or medicine to stop this is a fool's errand since the virus can evolve and change to combat our efforts.

No. Please, do.
No, no I'm talking about retro-virals or something that have been shown to be effective. I had read somewhere that certain HIV drugs were found to be fairly effective.

I'm not talking about face masks and pop culture "supplies" unless for medical professionals. And I agree about prevention - I've been in circumstances where mitigation is the fix - so I get that. But you are using it as a cliche here - not many people are ultimately going to escape exposure to this virus from the current projections, and that is my point.

As for the "no, please do"... lmao. Dude, you do instructional design. I definitely wouldn't want to get into an earnings and investing pissing contest with you. But I will say this - I don't go buying ZL1's and four-figure slabbed silver-age comic books, or any other outlandishly expensive nonsense until after all of my other bills are paid, after the lady is happy and the kids are taken care of, and after my house looks good. And if my concern about the market makes you happy, then you can deeply enjoy that I've lost 80k already in the recent market declines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I’m gonna be honest. This is scaring me.
It should brother... but only appropriately, man. Just be as healthy as you can for the time being, adopt some good habits. Even structure is a good habit - meal prep, even. It creates structure around your shopping times, saves money from eating out, encourages healthier eating. Basic, basic things that give you that "molecule" of an edge against getting sick. Eat more blueberries. Silly little things within structure all add up. It's like making money - pennies count more than hundred dollar bills. Health habits are the same. Buy a netti pot. If you get sick, manual reduction of viral load is just as important as chemical reduction. All these little things, man.

Last edited by IMJ; 03-11-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #95
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
No, no I'm talking about retro-virals or something that have been shown to be effective. I had read somewhere that certain HIV drugs were found to be fairly effective.
Noted. Care to post that?

I found this from Scientific American. It talks about using antivirals. The problem is that the outbreak is so recent and science is kind of slow, especially when medical science is working on human subjects.

Making antivirals is a good idea, but we have to know which one we need to make first. I'd also caution against betting too heavily on it. We seem to get one or two of these a decade anymore. Many times it's some variant of something we've seen before. Swine flu or bird flu. Covid-19 is related to SARS. Feels like we're treading water as a species, here.

Quote:
But you are using it as a cliche here -
It's cliche for a reason. It's the best we, the common rabble, have at the moment.

To be fair, I'm living in one of the worst hit areas of the world at the moment. Not a whole lot has changed here, though. It's on the news and every new infection is a headline, but everyone is still out and about.

Quote:
not many people are ultimately going to escape exposure to this virus from the current projections, and that is my point.
Granted. This is starting to look grim.

Quote:
As for the "no, please do"... lmao. Dude, you do instructional design. I definitely wouldn't want to get into an earnings and investing pissing contest with you. But I will say this - I don't go buying ZL1's and four figure silver age slabs or any other outlandishly expensive nonsense until after all of my other bills are paid, after the lady is happy and the kids are taken care of, and after my house looks good.
My house constantly looks like a bomb went off. Maybe a ZL1 in the drive way would distract people from the year old typhoon constantly whirling about the place.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:53 PM   #96
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
It should brother... but only appropriately, man. Just be as healthy as you can for the time being, adopt some good habits. Even structure is a good habit - meal prep, even. It creates structure around your shopping times, saves money from eating out, encourages healthier eating. Basic, basic things that give you that "molecule" of an edge against getting sick. Eat more blueberries. Silly little things within structure all add up. It's like making money - pennies count more than hundred dollar bills. Health habits are the same. Buy a netti pot. If you get sick, manual reduction of viral load is just as important as chemical reduction. All these little things, man.
Oh I already wash my hands an absurd amount of times. Always have...partly because I have a lot of runny nose problems. I also like fruits and vegetables. Again always have.

I’ve been wanting that Navage nose cleanser. My sinuses have been bothering me way before this.

Anyway this is creeping me out.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:55 PM   #97
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Noted. Care to post that?

I found this from Scientific American. It talks about using antivirals. The problem is that the outbreak is so recent and science is kind of slow, especially when medical science is working on human subjects.

Making antivirals is a good idea, but we have to know which one we need to make first. I'd also caution against betting too heavily on it. We seem to get one or two of these a decade anymore. Many times it's some variant of something we've seen before. Swine flu or bird flu. Covid-19 is related to SARS. Feels like we're treading water as a species, here.
This isn't what I initially read, but it was the fastest google hit.
Coronavirus puts drug repurposing on the fast track

I specifically remember seeing somewhere a couple of weeks ago that HIV patients in China were being asked to give their treatment drugs to COVID patients...... I recall a story where one HIV patient apparently had some incredible hoard that he donated.

Quote:
My house constantly looks like a bomb went off. Maybe a ZL1 in the drive way would distract people from the year old typhoon constantly whirling about the place.
Well you could always live in the ZL1 and then drive away quickly when the infection comes, so there's that.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:03 AM   #98
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Oh I already wash my hands an absurd amount of times. Always have...partly because I have a lot of runny nose problems. I also like fruits and vegetables. Again always have.

I’ve been wanting that Navage nose cleanser. My sinuses have been bothering me way before this.

Anyway this is creeping me out.
Ohhhh I understand the sinus thing. I live with it too and my explanation here is the proof - You aren't supposed to be aware that you have sinuses or a nose. They are just supposed to be there. But I am aware all the time that I have them. LMAO! It's beyond pain or congestion.

It's complete bull $#!( - it's like being aware that you have a throat. You aren't supposed to be actively aware of that - it's just supposed to be there, but if you can feel the inside of your throat all the time you've got a f'n problem.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:16 AM   #99
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Ohhhh I understand the sinus thing. I live with it too and my explanation here is the proof - You aren't supposed to be aware that you have sinuses or a nose. They are just supposed to be there. But I am aware all the time that I have them. LMAO! It's beyond pain or congestion.

It's complete bull $#!( - it's like being aware that you have a throat. You aren't supposed to be actively aware of that - it's just supposed to be there, but if you can feel the inside of your throat all the time you've got a f'n problem.
Ya it’s gotten worse over time. Especially when I eat. Anything I eat makes it run. Even when I sneeze and am able to clear my head it’s just a short relief.

The scary thing is sometimes I need to wipe my nose in public so I carry tissue and hand sanitizer. This happened the other day at the grocery store...but they’ve warned not to touch your face so of course coronavirus popped into my mind.

I couldn’t walk around with a runny nose those though.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:39 AM   #100
TommyT
Stone Warrior

Really interesting to watch this play out. My biggest fear is no the virus, it’s the fallout from the panic. People have every right to be afraid, but now the slow moving wave is coming. Lots of B&E and shootings about to happen, over soap and canned beans.

Tomorrow the Dow will force another halt, but will we see new record lows?
How scared is everyone really?

How much food do you have? Can you survive 31 days on lockdown?
Closed Thread