The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 05:20 AM   #101
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
The author of the picture said that this is just a sketch, but my source (sorry, I can not reveal it) claims that the final design is very similar.

Original post:
Thanks for the verification.
And now, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Where as to me, romance is just another kind of relationship, and I don't believe interesting characters can exist without some kind of relationship.

Love, and being loved, is part of the human experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
The teen years are the time where a human body is prepared for procreation. So it’s natural the Turtles would be attracted to human woman or just humans in general.

If there were female mutants available then the idea of the Turtles being with a human girl would not be as much of an issue. But if humans were completely off the table...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
So?
They are human-like Mutant Turtles, with feelings and desires like a humans. Just because they are not (entirely) humans, doesn't mean that they can not have romantic desires. In fact, it would have been very bizarre if they did not.

The amatonormativity has befallen on all of you.

Yes, the turtles mainly rely on human attributes to show their familiarity with the audience. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they must act as humanly possible, or stereotypically human. They are mutant ninja turtles, after all.

Not everyone (or in this case, every mutant) has a desire for romantic relationships.

Whose to say that they must show romantic desires? Why can't they be uninterested, indifferent, or even repulsed by human romance (or any type of romance really)? Why must they display a yearning for romantic affection?

There is nothing wrong with the turtles not expressing all human desires or romance/crushes. There is also nothing stating that the turtles must get together with someone else. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with the turtles staying single.

Quote:
You are weird, you know?

Also, romances allow to dive deeper into characters and show them from different sides.
Why can't they do that with platonic/familial relationships though? Why must romance/ romantic relationships exist within every single show? Why can't characters remain single throughout the entire show?

Last edited by Papenbrook; 01-03-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 AM   #102
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I'm getting flashbacks to Max Gibson from Batman Beyond.

It's nice to see a 2D cartoon where the figures have a fluctuating line weight and humanoid features instead of the flat, noodle-like Scott Pilgrim/Adventure Time style look we've gotten for the last several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #103
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
snip
It almost sounds like Turtles having any romantic desires is almost offensive to you.

Not really sure why, considering that they are living beings, they are teenagers - and having romantic and sexual desires is completely normal to anyone, especially in the young age.

Not to mention, as I said before, romance can enrich story by showing characters from the new angles.

Or is some weird attempt to promote asexuality, because, "muh representation"?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #104
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Why can't they do that with platonic/familial relationships though? Why must romance/ romantic relationships exist within every single show? Why can't characters remain single throughout the entire show?[/FONT][/Indent]

I don't think people are saying it absolutely must happen in all versions of the turtles, just why can't it sometimes? ... and to be fair, I don't think there has been a great degree of it in TMNT over all, sure Nick did have a lot of crushes but only Raph had a relationship.

Edit: Going back onto topic, agreed on the style of 2D, I feel better about the show for seeing this image also.

Last edited by newfan; 01-03-2018 at 07:33 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #105
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Depending on the version, the Turtles were raised to be ninjas and have all sorts of adventures ranging from fighting ninjas clans to alien dinosaurs in outer space. They are very far removed from any human teenager. They don't go to school. They're not on social media 24/7. They're not going to parties, or worry about prom, have no allowance, or need for an actual job at Burger King or whatever. They might be teenagers in a sense but they are far removed from any sort of actual teenage life. Theirs is a life that often has no room or no need for romance.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #106
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:

[FONT="Serif"]The amatonormativity has befallen on all of you.
I know you're being glib here, or at least I hope you are because the alternative is your assumption that romantic love is a choice, and being anti-romantic love is the default setting.

It may be A default setting for some, sure. But that's not an absolute.

I have no problems exploring that difference. Especially given that there are a lot of people who never develop romantic attachments, and even some for whom such at attachments only begin to form far later in life than adolescence.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #107
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Depending on the version, the Turtles were raised to be ninjas and have all sorts of adventures ranging from fighting ninjas clans to alien dinosaurs in outer space. They are very far removed from any human teenager. They don't go to school. They're not on social media 24/7. They're not going to parties, or worry about prom, have no allowance, or need for an actual job at Burger King or whatever. They might be teenagers in a sense but they are far removed from any sort of actual teenage life. Theirs is a life that often has no room or no need for romance.
and that is likely why there has been little of it, their lifestyle isn't a normal one.
My view with them sometimes having a crush is just that when they do meet someone (be it human or otherwise) chemistry can awaken.
There is a divide on opinion here though, some don't like it, some do, some don't care.

Last edited by newfan; 01-03-2018 at 08:07 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #108
plastroncafe

Quote:
But they're still American teenagers who despite their removal from topside life are steeped in those sorts of things by pop culture.

And besides, there are people all over the world who don't do a good number of the things on that list and yet still find time for romantic love in one sense or another.

After all, what are they fighting for if not love in some form?
It's not like they have to fight for survival, when they in almost every Incarnation have specifically gone out in search of a fight.

They could just stay home and not fight at all, but where's the fun in that?
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 01-03-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #109
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

This is going to be a disaster. They're taking far too many liberties and deviating too far from the source material. It took six years, but what people feared from the beginning is finally happening.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 AM   #110
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I know you're being glib here, or at least I hope you are because the alternative is your assumption that romantic love is a choice, and being anti-romantic love is the default setting.
Um ... no.

When it comes to human experiences, being romantic or aromantic isn't a choice. However, society's culture and environment tend to influence what is and isn't an acceptable set of (a)romantic expressions.

In modern society, most people usually assume that you must be in a romantic relationship with someone, or at least have a crush on someone. They also tend to think that you must seek out desires of romantic/sexual pleasures. If you have never experienced any of those things, then society thinks that you're an anomaly.

It's been really frustrating for me.

Quote:
It may be A default setting for some, sure. But that's not an absolute.
And vise versa.

Quote:
I have no problems exploring that difference. Especially given that there are a lot of people who never develop romantic attachments, and even some for whom such at attachments only begin to form far later in life than adolescence.
Then we came to a similar conclusion?
Old 01-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #111
plastroncafe

Sure let's go with that.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #112
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
But they still have sexual desires (unless it's confirmed that they are not) and, even, if they life style is not "normal", they pick up parts of the pop-culture here and there. Pretty much all versions of Turtles were watching TV, for example.

Quote:
In modern society, most people usually assume that you must be in a romantic relationship with someone, or at least have a crush on someone. They also tend to think that you must seek out desires of romantic/sexual pleasures. If you have never experienced any of those things, then society thinks that you're an anomaly.

It's been really frustrating for me.
Because, it's normal to humans?
It's might irritate you (and me to certain extent), but our personal shortcomings are not an indication for the whole humanity.

Some might not seek romantic / sexual experience, but this number is low, most people prefer to have romantic or sexual partners, because that's in human nature. We are social animals afterall.

And we are talking about TMNT, who are teenagers.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #113
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
This is going to be a disaster. They're taking far too many liberties and deviating too far from the source material. It took six years, but what people feared from the beginning is finally happening.
How do you know that? Nobody has seen anything of the show yet.
Chabrendeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #114
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
But they still have sexual desires (unless it's confirmed that they are not) and, even, if they life style is not "normal", they pick up parts of the pop-culture here and there. Pretty much all versions of Turtles were watching TV, for example.
That's right. The turtles (at least their modern incarnations) have primarily learned from and adopted human-like attributes through their exposure of/to pop culture.

However, how modern media (pop culture) chooses to depict romantic desires doesn't actually mean that they have those romantic desires to convey their humanity. They can just naturally be indifferent to/ unconcerned with romance.

On that note, neither you and I, or anyone else for that matter, know if the 2k18 version of the TMNT have any sexual/romantic desires or not.

Therefore, you shouldn't assume that they do.

Quote:
Because, it's normal to humans?
It's might irritate you (and me to certain extent), but our personal shortcomings are not an indication for the whole humanity.

Some might not seek romantic / sexual experience, but this number is low, most people prefer to have romantic or sexual partners, because that's in human nature. We are social animals afterall.

And we are talking about TMNT, who are teenagers.
They are also mutant turtles. They're not real, Sumac.

However, even if they were human teenagers, that doesn't necessarily mean that they have to display any romantic/sexual desires, let alone be in romantic relationships.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #115
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
That's right. The turtles (at least their modern incarnations) have primarily learned from and adopted human-like attributes through their exposure of/to pop culture.

However, how modern media (pop culture) chooses to depict romantic desires doesn't actually mean that they have those romantic desires to convey their humanity. They can just naturally be indifferent to/ unconcerned with romance.

On that note, neither you and I, or anyone else for that matter, know if the 2k18 version of the TMNT have any sexual/romantic desires or not.

Therefore, you shouldn't assume that they do.

They are also mutant turtles. They're not real, Sumac.

However, even if they were human teenagers, that doesn't necessarily mean that they have to display any romantic/sexual desires, let alone be in romantic relationships.
Again, too busy training and kicking ass to care about love or sex. It is a cartoon after all.

Forced romance between people that just met ruins a lot of action movies. I lsugh at the ones where the people on the run from just about anyone somehow find time to stop and screw. But that's a topic for another thread.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #116
Vegita-San
Emperor

romance episodes are USUALLY the worst of any series. 95% of the time I skip over them.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #117
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Cool

Quote:
Thanks for the verification.
And now, ...

The amatonormativity has befallen on all of you.

Yes, the turtles mainly rely on human attributes to show their familiarity with the audience. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they must act as humanly possible, or stereotypically human. They are mutant ninja turtles, after all.

Not everyone (or in this case, every mutant) has a desire for romantic relationships.

Whose to say that they must show romantic desires? Why can't they be uninterested, indifferent, or even repulsed by human romance (or any type of romance really)? Why must they display a yearning for romantic affection?

There is nothing wrong with the turtles not expressing all human desires or romance/crushes. There is also nothing stating that the turtles must get together with someone else. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with the turtles staying single.

Why can't they do that with platonic/familial relationships though? Why must romance/ romantic relationships exist within every single show? Why can't characters remain single throughout the entire show?
The minds behind the show made it pretty clear from the beginning that they wanted to explore the teenage aspects of the characters, from their strengths to their flaws to how they relate to others. Sucks you didn’t like that and I get that you prefer a certain version but idk, that’s kind of a you problem lol.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #118
plastroncafe

Quote:
romance episodes are USUALLY the worst of any series. 95% of the time I skip over them.
I think this is more of an indictment on television writers, then it is on the concept of romance.

Someone who is good at their job can make just about any plot be fantastic.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #119
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but a black April is hardly anything to think the show is going to be a, "disaster."

I'm more worried about the shows description about the Turtles having powers...but I guess we'll wait and see what they mean by that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #120
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Are the Turtles just basically normal human teenagers and should they be gauged as such?

Of course not, that's dumb. That's always been dumb. Every time I hear that (whether it's from creators or fans), this expectation of "I really want the Turtles to act like teenagers," it's just ill-thought out and dumb, dumb, dumb.

Did the Turtles spend their adolescence lusting after a bunch of human ladies?

No, not really. They were probably too busy training day in, day out to one day kill Oroku Saki. Again, these aren't normal human teenagers going to high school and taking Suzie to the prom or playing after school sports... that's a dumb expectation. None of the formative things growing up that happen to normal human teenagers would have ever happened to the TMNT. The closest example would be... I dunno, find like some monastic brothers who were home-schooled all of their adolescence and teenager years and not allowed to ever leave the house.

Would the Turtles ever be attracted to females?

Sure. There's plenty of examples of that.

But surely they'd be attracted to human females?

Not really. And despite the "Leonardo gets with Radical in the future" thing that slipped through the cracks when Laird was not at the helm and temporarily not doing approvals, there was always a very hard line from the TMNT creators about "The TMNT do NOT bang or lust after humans." Mikey saying, "Whatta babe!" to someone he sees on the TV is one thing, actively going after and pursuing romantic and/or sexual relationships with them is quite another.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
april o'neil, cybercubed arrives