The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #41
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Game's gettin' DLC reveals already (also a release date)

Its about time that Goro is playable.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #42
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Not impressed.

Call me when this guy becomes playable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.9 KB, 10 views)

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #43
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
Not impressed.

Call me when this guy becomes playable!
Or this guy.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #44
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
yeah I'll pass on pre-ordering for now. but I'll still buy it

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #45
Slade
god status

I think I like that Goro design.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #46
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its about time that Goro is playable.
Wasn't he playable in Armageddon?
I'm pretty sure everyone was playable in Armageddon.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #47
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone was playable in Armageddon.
He probably was, but I never played that one.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #48
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
He was. But like almost everyone in this game he wasn't very interesting. And he looked like a fat bug.

Also, Goro most likely will be DLC after MKX release, so no need to preorder.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #49
Wingnut
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
He was. But like almost everyone in this game he wasn't very interesting. And he looked like a fat bug.
Minotaur Motaro really pissed me off.

They could turn Malibu from American Gladiators into a centaur for one of the worst movies ever made...First "next-gen" (at the time) MK game I play with
Motaro, two f*cking legs.

Fake Shemp.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #50
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

^^ That was pretty whack. But not as whack as taking away Johnny Cage's nut punch.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #51
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Minotaur Motaro really pissed me off.
I didn't like it and was quite surprised. However, I kind of understand why it was done.

Initially Motaro, Chameleon, Khameleon and Meat should not have been in the game at all. But fans outcry was so loud, that Midway decided to shut them up and in 4-5 months before release of the game, developers quickly added those characters. Motaro was unusual fighter and demanded a lot of custom animations for arena interactions and movement, but they didn't have time to do that and sacrificed his uniqueness in order just to have him in the game at all.

What makes it even bizzare is that MKA was initially planned as a dreamatch, but suits at Midway demanded to turn game into fullfleshed seventh installment and because of that everything was incredibly rushed, broken and unbalanced. Executive meddling at its finest.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #52
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I wish they made a proper Motaro, but
Spoiler:
he died in the previous one so not likely we'll see him anymore. Yeah yeah, death means nothing in these games and so forth.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #53
Davetello
Banned

Must just me be - I liked Armageddon. It had a pretty nice Konquest mode. But then I am fairly easy to please with gaming.

Anyway, I loved MK9's story mode (beat it multiple times, which is rare for me) and hopefully this game's will be even better - have certainly heard great things about it. I hear the BlazBlue games have great story modes as well but I have only played them a few times.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #54
Leo656
The Franchise

I actually liked all the MKs. It's weird, I generally don't play a lot of fighting games and I like them more in theory than in practice, but every now and then I stop and realize just how much more MK I've played than any other fighter. I messed with 3 and 4 the least but I've played all the console ones a bunch. I liked all the "pre-reboot" MKs just fine, although I understand why some people didn't like the "combo string" gameplay style and wanted to get away from that. Makes sense, I just didn't have a problem with the way the last few played. It was easier for me to play than most fighters, so I liked it, but I completely understand why it's not everyone's favorite.

I did feel like Armageddon was a little bit weaker than the two before it, despite having all the characters in it. I could never quite put my finger on it, but reading what you cats are saying makes it a little clearer. I still dig it, though. One'a these days I gotta take a weekend and just buzz through Deadly Alliance up through the last one just for the heck of it. They're all fun.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #55
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I actually liked all the MKs. It's weird, I generally don't play a lot of fighting games and I like them more in theory than in practice, but every now and then I stop and realize just how much more MK I've played than any other fighter. I messed with 3 and 4 the least but I've played all the console ones a bunch. I liked all the "pre-reboot" MKs just fine, although I understand why some people didn't like the "combo string" gameplay style and wanted to get away from that. Makes sense, I just didn't have a problem with the way the last few played. It was easier for me to play than most fighters, so I liked it, but I completely understand why it's not everyone's favorite.

I did feel like Armageddon was a little bit weaker than the two before it, despite having all the characters in it. I could never quite put my finger on it, but reading what you cats are saying makes it a little clearer. I still dig it, though. One'a these days I gotta take a weekend and just buzz through Deadly Alliance up through the last one just for the heck of it. They're all fun.
I've actually never played Deadly Alliance or Deception, but I'd like to one day. Those games were really released at a time when I was gone from gaming, and I never bought them after I returned.

I know exactly what you mean. Not to turn this into a 'versus' thread, but as a boy I really loved the Street Fighter games and played them way more than the MK games (which I also enjoyed). As for now? I've never played Street Fighter IV or any of the numerous variants of it. I'd like to but it's not something which holds that much interest for me. My rationale is that I like a story in games, and in newer games stories even in fighting games have become more complex, whereas in the SNES days fighting games were all about the gameplay.

Street Fighter has had better gameplay than Mortal Kombat (and still does I would assume going by what people say of IV), but I have always found the MK mythology far more interesting than SF's. As time has gone on and technology has advanced, that has made it the more appealing franchise for me. I still enjoy the actual fighting, but the story and overall mythology is the real selling point for me.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #56
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, same, I was always way more into the MK storyline. For one thing, it's a little more consistent across all media (where the SF series is wildly different in every cartoon and comic book and movie that comes out about it), but secondly, the freakshow cast of characters are just more interesting to me. I like SF just fine (again, in theory, I'm lousy at those games) but even as a kid the whole aesthetic of MK was more arresting to me. For whatever reason, I was also just plain better at MK than SFII; that's still true when I play them today, although I haven't played IV yet either. My wife has it, I keep meaning to mess with it I just rarely play fighters. Last one I played was Injustice, which was awesome, I mean I'm a huge DC fanatic so I'm biased but I might have had more fun playing Injustice than any of 'em.

I think you'd like Deadly Alliance and Deception (thanks by the way, for some reason I can never remember "Deception"'s title, I think because I played DA and Armageddon more ), they tried some neat stuff with the whole switching styles mid-combo and weapons fighting. Some people hated the long, dialed-in combo strings, and I totally get that - I mean, some combos were so cheap, if you did them right and the other guy didn't use a Breaker, you could win a fight in ten seconds by dialing in a single string - but for me it was easy to play and when it clicked the fights were really smooth-looking to watch from an artistic standpoint. For a change I really had fun playing as each character and learning all their tricks, whereas in the older games I mostly just played Sub-Zero since he's usually the easiest to learn for pathetic players like me.

The newest one was better, but I liked how the ones before it turned out. It got hip to bash them in the last few years, but DA, Deception and Armageddon all got huge scores and tons of praise when they came out. I always kinda felt bad that they got a bad rap later on; they were fine. Not perfect, but Just Fine anyways.

I also played a lot of Soul Calibur games over the years, because again, uncoordinated cats like me can still play those games and do just fine. I like Street Fighter I just don't have the patience to really commit to getting good at it.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #57
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, same, I was always way more into the MK storyline. For one thing, it's a little more consistent across all media (where the SF series is wildly different in every cartoon and comic book and movie that comes out about it), but secondly, the freakshow cast of characters are just more interesting to me. I like SF just fine (again, in theory, I'm lousy at those games) but even as a kid the whole aesthetic of MK was more arresting to me. For whatever reason, I was also just plain better at MK than SFII; that's still true when I play them today, although I haven't played IV yet either. My wife has it, I keep meaning to mess with it I just rarely play fighters. Last one I played was Injustice, which was awesome, I mean I'm a huge DC fanatic so I'm biased but I might have had more fun playing Injustice than any of 'em.

I think you'd like Deadly Alliance and Deception (thanks by the way, for some reason I can never remember "Deception"'s title, I think because I played DA and Armageddon more ), they tried some neat stuff with the whole switching styles mid-combo and weapons fighting. Some people hated the long, dialed-in combo strings, and I totally get that - I mean, some combos were so cheap, if you did them right and the other guy didn't use a Breaker, you could win a fight in ten seconds by dialing in a single string - but for me it was easy to play and when it clicked the fights were really smooth-looking to watch from an artistic standpoint. For a change I really had fun playing as each character and learning all their tricks, whereas in the older games I mostly just played Sub-Zero since he's usually the easiest to learn for pathetic players like me.

The newest one was better, but I liked how the ones before it turned out. It got hip to bash them in the last few years, but DA, Deception and Armageddon all got huge scores and tons of praise when they came out. I always kinda felt bad that they got a bad rap later on; they were fine. Not perfect, but Just Fine anyways.

I also played a lot of Soul Calibur games over the years, because again, uncoordinated cats like me can still play those games and do just fine. I like Street Fighter I just don't have the patience to really commit to getting good at it.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not a massive fan of these games or anything. I really like them but I don't devote lots of time to them like I do TMNT or soccer. But when I do get into them I really enjoy them, and you're right that MK has far more diverse and simply strange characters than SF does.

Injustice is great as well - I bought it on day one. I completed the story mode but I never really did that well in S.T.A.R Labs. I keep meaning to go back to it but truth be told I don't think I'm a particularly good gamer relative to many so we shall see how that goes. I really like DC as well so obviously I enjoyed it as much as you. I enjoyed the crossover game as well - MK vs DC Universe. I liked how there were two sides of the story and how they interacted at various points.

Yeah, I probably would like them, but as I always say - there are thousands of TV shows/films/comics/games/books I'd really enjoy - it's selecting a few and actually devoting the time to them which is the problem I have watched Deception's Konquest mode on youtube and that's the game that really introduced it to the series - it looked very interesting. I really enjoyed Armageddon's Konquest mode - Taven and Daegon were nice characters and I learned more about the MK mythology from it - it's always more interesting learning about games by experiencing the story, rather than reading wikis or fan sites.

Yeah, they had that 3D plain which a lot of people didn't like. I didn't mind it in |Armageddon tbh - thought it was pretty neat. The combos were a bit cheap but overall I enjoyed the traditional fighting modes of the game.

Those games are probably underrated now because people compare them to MK9. That happens a lot - something stands well on its own, but it suffers because another iteration of the franchise is considered better or is more popular. We know that well as turtles fans. Obviously MK9 is better than Armageddon (again, I can't talk about DA or D) but that doesn't mean that the latter isn't a legitimately good game in its own right.

I never really played much Soul Calibur, with one exception - the Gamecube version which had Link. I really loved the Weapon Master mode in that game. I should go back and play it some time. I believe there's an HD update of the game on PSN but it costs something insane like £16-£20.

Last edited by Davetello; 09-10-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #58
Leo656
The Franchise

Well what was killing me was, even in a lot of magazines, when they were hyping the last MK game, they'd say stuff like, "We all know the last few games in the MK series were disappointing", and I'd be like, "WTF? The same editor saying that gave the last three games, like, no lower than an 8!" And the new game wasn't even out yet. I get that you have to hype up the new stuff, but the internal inconsistency among critics was maddening. I keep a lot of my old gaming mags, and every time any editor made a comment about DA/Deception/Armageddon being "disappointing", I'd go back and see that they personally gave it, like, a 9 when it came out, just to be sure I wasn't crazy or mis-remembering things.

So I don't think it was necessarily how they were directly being compared to the newer game, I think it was more a case of, over time individuals tend to lose or "forget" their own real opinions as they slowly absorb the more-cynical consensus of the internet. It happens a lot, especially when you haven't been directly exposed to the game/movie/etc. in question for a long time.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #59
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Well what was killing me was, even in a lot of magazines, when they were hyping the last MK game, they'd say stuff like, "We all know the last few games in the MK series were disappointing", and I'd be like, "WTF? The same editor saying that gave the last three games, like, no lower than an 8!" And the new game wasn't even out yet. I get that you have to hype up the new stuff, but the internal inconsistency among critics was maddening. I keep a lot of my old gaming mags, and every time any editor made a comment about DA/Deception/Armageddon being "disappointing", I'd go back and see that they personally gave it, like, a 9 when it came out, just to be sure I wasn't crazy or mis-remembering things.

So I don't think it was necessarily how they were directly being compared to the newer game, I think it was more a case of, over time individuals tend to lose or "forget" their own real opinions as they slowly absorb the more-cynical consensus of the internet. It happens a lot, especially when you haven't been directly exposed to the game/movie/etc. in question for a long time.
Yeah, spot on with all of that. It's also possible though that these people simply kept playing the game and over time they just became tired of it/thought they'd initially overrated it. But given how predisposed people generally are to what you describe (being influenced by general consensus, especially on internet communities), I'd say those cases were probably in the minority.

My own view is that Armageddon is a fun game. I haven't played it for a while now but when I did I wasn't constantly comparing it to MK9. That's just a futile way of thinking about something. It's like going off Batman Begins simply because you feel that The Dark Knight is even better. Makes no sense.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #60
Leo656
The Franchise

I didn't like how they kind of Nerfed the Fatalities in Armageddon. I played too much damn Puzzle Kombat, though. I enjoyed how much that game was more like an MK Greatest Hits package than anything.

I thought the DC crossover game was an interesting exercise. I understand how much it annoyed people that it was "neutered" and "PG" and all that but as you said, I dug the story and they had a good cast of characters. It's not perfect, but I'm glad it exists, if for no other reason than it's the kind of game we all talk about wanting to play when we're little kids, and so rarely do those things actually turn out to be real. It needed a little work, but I can't hate on it. Especially since it evolved into Injustice; like literally, if a few more characters in Injustice had their "classic" looks, it'd be perfect, but I guess you can't have everything.