The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Do you see yourself ever outgrowing video games?

Many people like video games, especially when they're kids/teenagers. But, as people age, they tend to game less and less, which is understandable due to games taking time which you do not really have much anymore now that you're an adult working a full time job and/or studying at the same time. Playing a game isn't as easy as popping up a movie or a cartoon and sitting there doing nothing but look at the screen for about an hour or so.

I've gone through an "outgrowing video games" phase once. From 2009 to 2012. I didn't play much during that period. But then I made a steam account and the flame was once again rekindled.

I'm a big fan of the "never say never" saying, so I'm cautious about the idea of liking video games forever. I can see myself still playing them in my 30s, but in my 40s and 50s? Dunno man. Depends on how things go for me and for the industry.

I really hope the NX is good. And if I one day see Nintendo calling it quits as far as hardware goes, a part of me will die, as silly as this sounds. Sega quitting making consoles was already a bit of a blow, but Nintendo?! Holy s*it, that's truly sadden me. I mean, come on now, I grew up playing Mario, Sonic, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, Zelda, etc.

What about you? Ever had a period where you seemed to outgrow games? And do you think you'll ever reach a point where you won't feel like playing games anymore?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

As long as I find video games to be fun and I can actually play them then no
Old 11-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I did. I've occasionally played a game for about a week (usually when I'm sick), but it's a rare thing nowadays.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

I do not, no.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
snake
Disgusting

I did about a year or two ago. Only time I play is when I have people over.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I did. I've occasionally played a game for about a week (usually when I'm sick), but it's a rare thing nowadays.
Well, you have a family, don't you? I guess a long game would demand a lot of free time out of you that you don't have nowadays. Or is there another reason for you to have outgrown them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I did about a year or two ago. Only time I play is when I have people over.
How old were you again? 16? What made you outgrow gaming?
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Seems unlikely at the moment.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I do not, no.
Didn't expect anythign else from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Seems unlikely at the moment.
Same here. The reason I don't play games all day anymore is because life gets in the way. Which is also good since that means every time I pick up a game it will be more enjoyable than simply playing games all the time, which can eventually lead to burnout(no, not the game series).
Old 11-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah well I've been playing all the same games for 23 years. If I'm not sick of 'em at this point, I'm a lifer.

If responsibilities should obstruct me, well, so be it, but I'll still spend free time on gaemu.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #10
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I play and watch people play games.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah well I've been playing all the same games for 23 years. If I'm not sick of 'em at this point, I'm a lifer.
Super Mario World and the first 3 SMB games are probably the games I've bought the most times in my life. I always end up buying their remakes(Super Mario All-Stars both SNES and Wii versions and the Super Mario Advance GBA games).

I can pretty much play SMW in auto-pilot. That game will go with me to the grave. There's just something magical about it.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Super Mario World and the first 3 SMB games are probably the games I've bought the most times in my life. I always end up buying their remakes(Super Mario All-Stars both SNES and Wii versions and the Super Mario Advance GBA games).

I can pretty much play SMW in auto-pilot. That game will go with me to the grave. There's just something magical about it.
Quote:

If responsibilities should obstruct me, well, so be it, but I'll still spend free time on gaemu.
That's the funny thing. Whenever I do pick up a game, I pretty much only play games I used to play as a kid... those first four Mario games for NES and SNES.

Gonna introduce them to my kids when they're old enough.

Quote:
Well, you have a family, don't you? I guess a long game would demand a lot of free time out of you that you don't have nowadays. Or is there another reason for you to have outgrown them?
Yeah, with a family I really only have so much free time and my writing takes precedence. I do want to someday play the Mass Effect trilogy, though... everyone has convinced me that it is epic sci-fi.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:

Same for me, just toss SMW, Turtles In Time, Tournament Fighters, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, & A Link To The Past into my coffin. We grew up with some pretty mesmerizing, incredibly fun stuff. All the old stuff is so good I'm only just now catching up with a lot of later (yet now old) titles! I don't think I'll ever run out of games to check out. It was in the last 2 years that I started getting into Valve's offerings, & lately I'm diving into arcade games.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #14
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I'm just getting back into video games. I could see my generation (those in their 20's & 30's) being the first generation of gamers in retirement homes. I think many of us will be senior citizen gamers for one reason or another. May outgrown for awhile but eventually circle back.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #15
ToTheNines
[sic]

I did. I miss it, bit I'm so bad with time management that I just can't even do anything beyond play a little bit on the the NES or SNES
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
That's the funny thing. Whenever I do pick up a game, I pretty much only play games I used to play as a kid... those first four Mario games for NES and SNES.

Gonna introduce them to my kids when they're old enough.

Yeah, with a family I really only have so much free time and my writing takes precedence. I do want to someday play the Mass Effect trilogy, though... everyone has convinced me that it is epic sci-fi.
I was born in 1990, but my brother was born in 1983. So I had access to NES, genesis and SNES games when I was a kid. I was very fortunate . Considering Nintendo has never sold much in my country, many people my age here haven't played the best Mario and Zelda games. jesus can you imagine going through your whole life without ever playing A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, SMB3 and SMW?!

Quote:
Same for me, just toss SMW, Turtles In Time, Tournament Fighters, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, & A Link To The Past into my coffin. We grew up with some pretty mesmerizing, incredibly fun stuff.
I downloaded DKC2 for my 3DS. It's fun. Also confession: ...I never played Yoshi's Island

Ocarina? I replayed a few years ago on the GameCube and honestly... i feel tempted to buy the 3DS version someday
Old 11-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I was born in 1990, but my brother was born in 1983. So I had access to NES, genesis and SNES games when I was a kid. I was very fortunate . Considering Nintendo has never sold much in my country, many people my age here haven't played the best Mario and Zelda games. jesus can you imagine going through your whole life without ever playing A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, SMB3 and SMW?!

I downloaded DKC2 for my 3DS. It's fun. Also confession: ...I never played Yoshi's Island

Ocarina? I replayed a few years ago on the GameCube and honestly... i feel tempted to buy the 3DS version someday
I never played a Zelda game in my life, but yeah, Yoshi's Island is great, too. Good stuff. That and the other Mario games, the Donkey Kong games, TMNT TiT, Star Fox, and Sunsetriders. That's my gaming hit list, right there. Since grade school.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
ToTheNines
[sic]

Oh dude. Figure out a way to play Ocarina of Time right now.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

I do want to someday play the Mass Effect trilogy, though... everyone has convinced me that it is epic sci-fi.
You're better off watching a walk through or something.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I never played a Zelda game in my life, but yeah, Yoshi's Island is great, too. Good stuff. That and the other Mario games, the Donkey Kong games, TMNT TiT, Star Fox, and Sunsetriders. That's my gaming hit list, right there. Since grade school.
Oh really? well I suggest you pick up A Link to the Past or OoT first. Those are my favourite ones. Many people love WW, but I'm not so high on that one.

I haven't played TP andSS yet and haven't played much of MM back in the day(ofc I'll get the 3DS version someday).

Sunsetriders I've never owned or played at all.

Quote:
Same for me, just toss SMW, Turtles In Time, Tournament Fighters, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, & A Link To The Past into my coffin. We grew up with some pretty mesmerizing, incredibly fun stuff. All the old stuff is so good I'm only just now catching up with a lot of later (yet now old) titles! I don't think I'll ever run out of games to check out. It was in the last 2 years that I started getting into Valve's offerings, & lately I'm diving into arcade games.
Hey, I've also been able to play older games as a teenager/adult that I never got the opportunity to when I was a little kid. Like Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles, per example. I grew up with the first ever Sonic game, but luckily my brother got Sonic Mega Collection for the GC around 2006-2007 and thus I was able to play Sonic 2, the best Sonic game ever. For Christmas 2007, I got Mega man Anniversary Collection. As a kid, i grew up with MM2 only, but the AC allowed me to play MM1, MM3, MM4, MM5 and MM6.

And like I've said, I never played DKC2 until this year, which I'm now playing(once in a while). And will eventually play DKC3 as well.

However,some classic games are heavily outdated. CastleVania 1-3... those controls are sooooo stiff. Super CastleVania IV is enjoyable, though.