The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What's your favourite Nintendo console?

Many of us here are Nintendo fans. So folks, which one was your favourite?

I'm undecided between the SNES and the GameCube. Both consoles marked Nintendo's priem as far as 2D and 3D gaming goes, respectively, imo.

In 3rd place I'd put the 3DS.

The GBA was also pretty damn good for its time but I missed out on several of its classics, I'm afraid. And the N64, while great for its time, it hasn't aged as well as the SNES and the GC did. Besides most of its best games have been ported/remade in more modern consoles. anyway.

Btw, one rule, focus on EXCLUSIVE games only. Don't use the Virtual Console as an argument for picking Wii, Wii U or the 3DS. Remember those games are originally from other consoles, and some of them not even Nintendo consoles.

EDIT: F*ck wanted to make a poll, but I messed up. Oh well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Wesley
Mad Scientist

The GBA is my favourite with the GameCube in 2nd place. They both had a wide variety of great games.

Last edited by Wesley; 03-04-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
ssjup81
Foot Elite

SNES for a home console.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

NES, baby!!!
(GBA SP is a close second)
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm gonna go with SNES > Gameboy > 3DS > Wii > Gamecube/Wii U > N64 > GBA/DS > NES

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

SNES all the way, yo.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm gonna go with SNES > Gameboy > 3DS > Wii > Gamecube/Wii U > N64 > GBA/DS > NES
GameCube on the same level as Wii U, which is also ranked above the N64? And you rank the original Wii above all of them and also above the original DS? And the original Game Boy(I'm guessing you're also including GBC in that?) in 2nd place above every Nintendo console except the SNES? That's really interesting and I dare say a tad unpopular. Could you elaborate? I'm curious.

I've never gotten a Wii U(only domestic Nintendo console I've never owned), so I cant' exactly comment on it. The original Wii is fine for what it is, but I'd take SNES, the GC and N64 in its prime any day as far as Ninty domestic consoles go.

Original Game Boy... what did I even play on that? Black and white Tetris and Super Mario Land? By the time my brother got Pokémon Red we already had Game Boy Color, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
NES, baby!!!
(GBA SP is a close second)
The NES still has some games that have aged fairly well such as the 3 SMB games and the Mega Man games, but no way I'd play any of the CastleVania NES games over SCIV or any of the NES Zelda games over ALttP; Ocarina, etc.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
GameCube on the same level as Wii U, which is also ranked above the N64? And you rank the original Wii above all of them and also above the original DS? And the original Game Boy(I'm guessing you're also including GBC in that?) in 2nd place above every Nintendo console except the SNES? That's really interesting and I dare say a tad unpopular. Could you elaborate? I'm curious.
Well, I enjoy both consoles equally more or less equally, with respect to 1st party content. Well, Wii U might even have the advantage, actually. Yoshi, Kirby, & Donkey Kong are my 3 favorite series', & none of them got proper/traditional titles on GC. Wind Waker & Twilight Princess are top-tier games, but each have versions on other consoles, so they don't help.

I really liked Wii's motion controls, & it had a super solid 1st party catalog. 2 LOZ's, 2 Kirby's, multiple ridiculously innovative Marios, Wario, DKC, Smash, buncha Pokemon stuff, Metroid, they put a lot of focus into their properties. It has a very classic feel to me.

The original Gameboy is something I grew up with, so it's extra precious to me. But I genuinely favor it/play it more than most other consoles. There are just sooooo many good games, & like the Wii, virtually none of the key characters were ignored. Introduced Pokemon & Kirby. So many great third party games based on cartoons & stuff too. I grew up on it alongside SNES, so there's definitely a nostalgia/familiarity bias, but I love their offerings the most, plain & simple. I play the hell out of em both.

I never had an N64, so I've only played the essentials via remakes & VC (more or less the same deal with NES). Third party titles I had on Playstation. I didn't get a DSi until less than a year before the 3DS came out, so I barely got to explore its library. I've got some essential 1st party stuff, but I'm not terribly attached to it. Don't get me wrong though, I do enjoy these systems plenty!

I'm not saying that's my order for what is objectively best or anything, it's just my preference based on how frequently I still play them & stuff.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Well, I enjoy both consoles equally more or less equally, with respect to 1st party content. Well, Wii U might even have the advantage, actually. Yoshi, Kirby, & Donkey Kong are my 3 favorite series', & none of them got proper/traditional titles on GC. Wind Waker & Twilight Princess are top-tier games, but each have versions on other consoles, so they don't help.

I really liked Wii's motion controls, & it had a super solid 1st party catalog. 2 LOZ's, 2 Kirby's, multiple ridiculously innovative Marios, Wario, DKC, Smash, buncha Pokemon stuff, Metroid, they put a lot of focus into their properties. It has a very classic feel to me.

The original Gameboy is something I grew up with, so it's extra precious to me. But I genuinely favor it/play it more than most other consoles. There are just sooooo many good games, & like the Wii, virtually none of the key characters were ignored. Introduced Pokemon & Kirby. So many great third party games based on cartoons & stuff too. I grew up on it alongside SNES, so there's definitely a nostalgia/familiarity bias, but I love their offerings the most, plain & simple. I play the hell out of em both.

I never had an N64, so I've only played the essentials via remakes & VC (more or less the same deal with NES). Third party titles I had on Playstation. I didn't get a DSi until less than a year before the 3DS came out, so I barely got to explore its library. I've got some essential 1st party stuff, but I'm not terribly attached to it. Don't get me wrong though, I do enjoy these systems plenty!

I'm not saying that's my order for what is objectively best or anything, it's just my preference based on how frequently I still play them & stuff.
I know it's just your preferences. I was just wondering what made you prefer some to others, that's all.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Nintendo 64; I was old enough to appreciate the games yet I was still a kid. The best of both worlds. No amount of games or power will ever top the game system you played with kid eyes.

I grew up with the NES and SNES and finished my childhood with the N64. Gamecube and Wii in my teens and Wii U in my 20s.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Nintendo 64; I was old enough to appreciate the games yet I was still a kid. The best of both worlds. No amount of games or power will ever top the game system you played with kid eyes.

I grew up with the NES and SNES and finished my childhood with the N64. Gamecube and Wii in my teens and Wii U in my 20s.
I was born in 1990 but, thanks to having an older brother, I was playing NES, Game Boy, Genesis/Mega Drive, Saturn, Game Gear and SNES games before N64 ones. But yes, the Saturn/N64/PS1 generation was the first one I actually lived through... although I had NO IDEA what was going on and that the three were competing against each other, so it didn't matter much. I didn't get around the concept of "console wars" until about 2004 or so when I was the only kid in my class and possibly the entire school who owned a GameCube instead of a PS2 or even an Xbox, and thus got weird looks or mocked "haha that console sucks". Just like I had no idea the SNES and the Mega Drive were at war with each other until I began reading about the video game industry and its history around 2006-2007.

Yes, living through the Nintendo 64 was awesome. It's like one day I was playing Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, and the next day my brother gets home with this new console called Nintendo 64 and he pops Super Mario 64 into it... holy sh*t

Also, I didn't get the chance to play A link to the Past until 2002 or so, so my first Zelda was the first NES game and my second Zelda was Ocarina of Time. Imagine my reaction to that game as well

Oh, not Nintendo, but screw the haters. I'll ALWAYS have a soft spot for the Sega Saturn!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
The Deadman
Foot Elite

N64/Gamecube

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:39 AM   #13
Turo602
The King of Kings

Gamecube for me. I grew up with an NES and Nintendo 64 in the house but we didn't have many games or much variety. However, that changed with the Gamecube and I have so many fond memories with it. It was a simpler time and video games were beginning to look beautiful and play great. The Wii and quite possibly the Wii U were probably just as great, but they just can't replicate what I experienced with the Gamecube.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Switch, even though I don't own it or haven't even seen one IRL. It will clearly be the best one they have ever made.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Switch, even though I don't own it or haven't even seen one IRL. It will clearly be the best one they have ever made.
I admire your optimism, but it's really early to say that still, and you haven't even played it yet.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I admire your optimism, but it's really early to say that still, and you haven't even played it yet.
I'm gonna play SNES and GBA classics with it on the toilet, as well as the new Zelda. It's a no contest.

But if we're gonna go with the consoles I have owned and played enough to know, then it's Gamecube and 3DS.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

The N64 is my current fave console. The SNES and Gameboy Color are close second.

Still wanna get my hands on a Wii though.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

In terms of the home consoles, it's probably the NES or the Wii as they were the ones I played the most during my early childhood. I always played NES at my grandparents place; the Wii was owned by my best friend, so I got some exposure before I got my own. The other Nintendo home consoles I can't make a full on judgment as I never played too much from them, didn't get them until much later, or never owned them.

The DS Lite has been my main Nintendo console in terms of handhelds, but I want to get more for the 3DS.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Probably NES, shortly followed by SNES. And no, nostalgiac hipster weirdos, that does not mean I want to see a bunch of new video games done in "retro" 8-bit or 16-bit style in 2017.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Probably NES, shortly followed by SNES. And no, nostalgiac hipster weirdos, that does not mean I want to see a bunch of new video games done in "retro" 8-bit or 16-bit style in 2017.
How do you feel about the GameCube, the GBA and the DS consoles?