The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-15-2005, 01:46 AM   #261
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't give a f*ck about online gaming?
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:47 AM   #262
Spitfire
Writer • Director

This ones pretty cheap
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...eless%20router

No I dont like it either because most people online either suck really bad or are jerks.....but sometimes its fun
Old 01-15-2005, 01:47 AM   #263
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Looks like I'm going to be pretty fu*king lonely on the Wi-Fi net. *sigh*
Old 01-15-2005, 01:51 AM   #264
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

SF- That game would make a few bazillion people buy a DS, easily. PSP woulden't know what ran over it.

Ai - You sure about that? a lot of coffee shops have wifi. check out here.

Barkworm - I really don't care much. But there are two games that SCREAM to be put online: Pokemon, and Animal Crossing. Both of those are going to be on the DS, and hopefuly they'll be online. We'll know more at E3 .
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:55 AM   #265
Super Moderator

Clarksboro, NJ? Oh, hell no. That's almost a 45 minute drive, if the map is accurate enough.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:58 AM   #266
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Damn, that's some crazy sh... stuff.

I dunno what to tell ya. I know the DS'll have some crazy leap-frog stuff too (we tested this out with it's built in wireless link. A is here, B is as far away from A as they can be, and C is as far away from B as they can be, A and C can still send and receive data).
Old 01-15-2005, 02:05 AM   #267
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Each DS acting like a wireless hub huh? I figured as much.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #268
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Takahashi
The cheapest wireless router is...almost $150. Maybe less, because I haven't looked in a while. I'm not paying practically another DS for online play.
True that, and there's not chance in hell I'm going to sit around in some cafe looking like a tool to play online games. No matter what they are.

And no Barkworm, you aren't the only one who doesn't care about online gaming. I couldn't care less actually. I enjoy single player games a lot more than multi-player ones.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:53 AM   #269
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Then why do you play Halo 2?

I'm playing Mario Kart when that sucker goes online. Either that, or live in an online fanboy community in Animal Crossing.

Something like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut
not chance in hell I'm going to sit around in some cafe looking like a tool to play online games. No matter what they are
You do realize that it's that exact mentality which is the reason I can't get teenagers to play Donkey Konga at the mall.

It gets awfully lonely when you have to be the lone standout/reject in a store.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:22 AM   #270
Peanut
Second Gear

I said I enjoy single player experiences more than multiplayer experiences. That doesn't mean I don't like multiplayer games.

As for any type of mentality, I wasn't saying people who go to a cafe to play games are tools or anything. What I meant was I'm not going to go out of my way to play some sub-par online games, when I could sit at home and and play some good ones.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:28 PM   #271
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I honestly don't see how a Pokemon MMORPG could be an inferior game. It'd own the internet. Guess I'm just the only one who wants Mario Kart and Tetris Attack Ladder Tournaments. *shrugs*
Old 01-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #272
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Well, I'm usually against the idea of online gaming. It's too expensive for developers to run servers for years and years with out charging for it.

However, if it's free, or very VERY low cost, and the game was designed to work around online play, I'll be all over it.

That's why I said I'm looking forward to Animal Crossing DS and Pokemon D/P. I know the former's going to go online. That's a given. But Pokemon's basicly an MMORPG, just not online. It'd be easy for them to adjust the game to be online too. Instead of NPC trainers, you battle other gamers. Legendary pokemon could be uber hard to catch too, instead of 1 to every game pack. And having an actual Pokemon Leauge in the game would make sense. Once a year, or once every couple months, there's the Pokemon Leauge championships. Only players who've collected 8 or more badges can participate, and the badges you've collected are registered on your My Nintendo account (so people can't just gameshark the 8 badges). Then, it's a single elimination tournament until the best player in the world's left standing. They could even run a similar setup to mirror the Pokemon TCG (3 age groups, 10 and under, 11-14, and 15+) to make it fairer to younger kids.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:02 PM   #273
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwgtrunks
Well, I'm usually against the idea of online gaming. It's too expensive for developers to run servers for years and years with out charging for it.

However, if it's free, or very VERY low cost, and the game was designed to work around online play, I'll be all over it.

That's why I said I'm looking forward to Animal Crossing DS and Pokemon D/P. I know the former's going to go online. That's a given. But Pokemon's basicly an MMORPG, just not online. It'd be easy for them to adjust the game to be online too. Instead of NPC trainers, you battle other gamers. Legendary pokemon could be uber hard to catch too, instead of 1 to every game pack. And having an actual Pokemon Leauge in the game would make sense. Once a year, or once every couple months, there's the Pokemon Leauge championships. Only players who've collected 8 or more badges can participate, and the badges you've collected are registered on your My Nintendo account (so people can't just gameshark the 8 badges). Then, it's a single elimination tournament until the best player in the world's left standing. They could even run a similar setup to mirror the Pokemon TCG (3 age groups, 10 and under, 11-14, and 15+) to make it fairer to younger kids.
Daaaaaamn, that would kick such major ass. They'd have to make a Pokemon patch for addicts.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:06 PM   #274
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

They could also use the bottom screen for chatting, or include a mode where you can play with your Pokemon (like Puppy Times/Nintendogs). It could be used as a new way to evolve, or to get your Pokemon to learn new moves.

Gamefreaks is saying this version's going to be the new standard for Pokemon RPGs, and we haven't gotten that out of them since Gold/Silver.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:49 PM   #275
Peanut
Second Gear

As amazing as a Pokemon MMORPG sounds, I don't see me driving 20 minutes, or walking 40 minutes, to play an online game in a cafe. It's just not happening. Ever.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #276
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Well, as I see it, there's two options.

1. Buy an Xbox ($149.95 + $49.95 - 199.90) to play the only online game they have that I'd want to play until the network dies upon the release of Xbox 2....

2. Go to Sam's, and get an $79.95 router + $29.95 for the game. ($109.90) and go beserk, plus know they'll be a steady supply of online titles I'll want to play (Smash Bros = drool).

I think the choice is clear here.

Not counting the cost of cable here since it's required either way.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:06 PM   #277
Peanut
Second Gear

No one said you had to do either one or the other. The fact is I'm already set up to play online games on XBL, and the choice of online titles to play is far more interesting than the DS has now, even if they release a Pokemon MMORPG, and you still don't know if they even will. Multiplayer Mario Kart can only be fun so many times. Every race it'll basically end up being the same thing. All racing games are like that, and Mario Kart doesn't have a deep customization mode, such as games like NFSU, to keep it interesting for a long period of time. Smash Bros will probably be a huge online title, once again, if it even ends up online. Even if it does go online, doesn't it bother you that the touch screen control will probably make the game frustrating to play at times? Hell SM64 got frustrating because of the wonky control. I couldn't imagine SSB, which requires pinpoint control the majority of the time. Either way it doesn't bother me, infact I don't care if the DS never goes online. I bought it for the single player experience anyways.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:13 PM   #278
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Well, SM64 was frustrating at first until I figured out the secret. Use the D-pad for running, and the touch screen for flying/swimming. Then it was a dream. Smash Bros will probobly be given the same control option, and frankly I've always perferred D-Pads to Analog sticks, so conforming to that shouldn't be a problem.

Dosen't matter anyway. I don't have cable so this is all trival anyway.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #279
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

M64DS was frustrating... until i got over it. Really, I don' get what people are bitching about. it's just like learning how to use the analog stick.

And you know what? I've played through the entire game so far using nothing but the touchscreen. Have I died? Yep. But it was very VERY rarely because of the 'wonky control', it was because I over shot my jumps and fell of the level, or a boss beat me.

If anything, now that I'm used to using the touch screen, the analog stick feels werid.

</end rant>
Old 01-15-2005, 11:58 PM   #280
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwgtrunks
M64DS was frustrating... until i got over it. Really, I don' get what people are bitching about. it's just like learning how to use the analog stick.

And you know what? I've played through the entire game so far using nothing but the touchscreen. Have I died? Yep. But it was very VERY rarely because of the 'wonky control', it was because I over shot my jumps and fell of the level, or a boss beat me.

If anything, now that I'm used to using the touch screen, the analog stick feels werid.

</end rant>
*claps* Very well said