The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #41
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Check out Ron Howard's expression change in that gif...

I was honestly surprised Wonder Woman didn't get a nomination. Critics and audiences loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #42
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Check out Ron Howard's expression change in that gif...

I was honestly surprised Wonder Woman didn't get a nomination. Critics and audiences loved it.

Yeah, he's a cutie.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I'm sure it did get nominated, just not enough to "make" the 5 allotted nominees. Though really... I totally dig it, but is it really "Best Picture" worthy? Dragonball Z final battle aside, it's basically just as good as Captain America 1 and that didn't get nominated for Best Picture or anything.

Come to think of it, I could be way off here... but has there ever been a comic book movie nominated for Best Picture? I feel like... no?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #44
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

The only coverage I’ve read about this issue is on the forums. I didn’t watch the awards show. Can’t stand those things.

But it seems like the issue NP was trying to raise is, ‘why aren’t their more women directors.’ Not, ‘why are no current women directors being nominated.’

Reminds me of how people talk about the low interest in STEM for women. A STEM awards show I imagine would have few women nominees. But the issue would be why aren’t their more women in STEM careers. Not why aren’t more women nominated.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
But it seems like the issue NP was trying to raise is, ‘why aren’t their more women directors.’ Not, ‘why are no current women directors being nominated.’
Nonsense, of course that's what she was saying. Otherwise that's tantamount to somebody speaking out about why there's so few women in sanitation jobs. There just isn't. It's not evil white men refusing to give the jobs to women, there just isn't enough interest. Maybe one there will be but today there is not.

And that's OK.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #46
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Nonsense, of course that's what she was saying. Otherwise that's tantamount to somebody speaking out about why there's so few women in sanitation jobs. There just isn't. It's not evil white men refusing to give the jobs to women, there just isn't enough interest. Maybe one there will be but today there is not.

And that's OK.
This would have been an asinine comment prior to Weinstein, but now it's just funny as hell.

Sit down before you hurt yourself.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #47
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
It's not evil white men refusing to give the jobs to women, there just isn't enough interest. Maybe one there will be but today there is not.
And that's OK.
It may be “Ok” for some but obviously not for all, or this thread wouldn’t exist. Yeah I don’t think it’s a conspiracy to keep women out of certain jobs. I definitely don’t consider white dudes evil. I’m a white dude. Also I’m not liberal. But for sure something smells rotten. Maybe it has to do with guys being in the game longer. Women trying to catch up. Change isn’t comfortable. I don’t have answers. I just know NP is doing what she feels needs done.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #48
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Reminds me of how people talk about the low interest in STEM for women. A STEM awards show I imagine would have few women nominees. But the issue would be why aren’t their more women in STEM careers. Not why aren’t more women nominated.
The interest is there, but women are either pushed out of their fields, credit stolen from them or fields that women excel in are usually seen as "lesser", until it gains some interest then guys will muscle their way in and "take over the joint".

Stay low profile and don't get grabbed by the pussy, cause even hazmat suits are being sexualized by creepy old perverts.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #49
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The interest is there, but women are either pushed out of their fields, credit stolen from them or fields that women excel in are usually seen as "lesser", until it gains some interest then guys will muscle their way in and "take over the joint".

Stay low profile and don't get grabbed by the pussy, cause even hazmat suits are being sexualized by creepy old perverts.
Looking back perhaps low “percent” of women in the STEM fields could have been a better phrase than low “interest.” But I have only had a half cup of coffee today so, yeah...
Old 01-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #50
plastroncafe

Quote:
Looking back perhaps low “percent” of women in the STEM fields could have been a better phrase than low “interest.” But I have only had a half cup of coffee today so, yeah...
Sans historical context, this could indeed be the case, but we don't live in a world sans historical context.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #51
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Sans historical context, this could indeed be the case, but we don't live in a world sans historical context.
You lost me. Feel free to DM if you want to elaborate.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #52
plastroncafe

Quote:
You lost me. Feel free to DM if you want to elaborate.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm good.
It's like what Kappa said.

Quote:
That's the history of computer programming right there.
So one could make the argument that there aren't women in computer programming today because of lack of interest, but that only rings true if one ignores the history of the field.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #53
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

There is liberal outrage over the Ugandan Knuckles meme

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #54
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
That's the history of computer programming right there. So one could make the argument that there aren't women in computer programming today because of lack of interest, but that only rings true if one ignores the history of the field.
I think what your saying is how we perceive the past dictates how we understand the present? If so I agree.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
But for sure something smells rotten. Maybe it has to do with guys being in the game longer. Women trying to catch up. Change isn’t comfortable. I don’t have answers. I just know NP is doing what she feels needs done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
"I'm a female director and I've been bullied out of directing stuff" or "I'm a female director that's more qualified than the guy the studio went with after I threw my name in the hat" -- where are all the stories about this? I've not seen any. You can be female and go to film school (or don't, but it's nice to) and put together a crew and start shooting independent movies (these are reflected in the numbers and yup, there is still only 13%)... there is nothing stopping this from happening on any level. And it does happen... just a lot less than with males, apparently. It'll change as we move forward, certainly, but it shouldn't be coming about because of some kind of artificial balance forced out of awards shows and certainly not studios.

And Patty Jenkins? She's not even the first female comic book movie director. She didn't, like, move mountains in Hollywood and fight her way to become the patron saint of female directors, or even necessarily deserve to be given a 150 million movie in the first place (go ahead, look at her IMDB). I'm fairly sure the discussion at WB were like, "Yeesh, look at the internets... we sure better find a female director out there to do this female-led movie or everyone is going to hate us and they already sort of hate us... I sure hope we can find someone moderately qualified." Oh, it's a gambit that paid off, for sure. My point is that the lesson to be learned shouldn't necessarily be, "Studios need to be forced to gamble! Equality!" It could have easily gone the other way. Equally untested Lexi Alexander directed "Punisher: War Zone" all the way back in 2008, and it bombed. Lana and Lilly Wachowski directed "Jupiter Ascending," which is basically like a comic book movie... another bomb. So I guess... Jenkins has the distinction of being the first female comic book movie director... to turn a profit? Well, I can understand how that doesn't sound nearly as prestigious.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #56
Sumac
Banned

Quote:

And that's OK.
There is no interest, because, women are discouraged from taking certain jobs / interests by men.

It is the same reason, why there are very few female scientists or female....come to think of it...anything. Like, if you look at the history as a whole, who was remembered first and foremost?

Then answer yourself a question, why did it happened: because women were less talented and smart or because men saw themselves as superior and recorded only their own deeds?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #57
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Not to mention that when women do become brilliant scientists, their efforts are not taken seriously. Hedy Lamarr is a prime example of this.

"Stop inventing bluetooth 50 years early, just sit in from of the camera and be pretty"

I think it's one situation leading into the other, and especially because science and sanitation work was a "NO GIRLZ ALLOWED" treehouse club for a massive period of time.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-12-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #58
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
recorded only their own deeds?
Or took credit for the work, which apparently happened to quite a few female scientists and others back in the day.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #59
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Can you say "Mary Anning"?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 AM   #60
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
There is liberal outrage over the Ugandan Knuckles meme

Spoiler:
I posted something similar to that.