The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you getting tired of the show
Yes 14 14.89%
No 66 70.21%
Maybe 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Is anyone else getting tired of the show?

So for a while now I've been feeling a growing disinterest in the show. I liked the first season just fine as it had a decent flow to it and most episodes felt like thay mattered in the grand scheme. Season 2 on the other hand feels like it instead wants to introduce new characters and concepts with little or no regard to what was already there.

The Kraang seem like they're still around for some kind of misguided desire to keep a status quo as the only purpose they seemed to serve in this season was tying up the "what do they want with April?" (which they only spent one episode on really) and to supply more mutagen to earth otherwise their actions seemed random and pointless. I would have been fine with them sticking around for just those two reasons but they were in every other episode and each time their plans got more confusing than before and led nowhere. (There was a similar problem when Karai led the Foot).

I feel that a lot of these filler slots could have been used on expanding some of the season 1 characters that didn't get any time to shine instead of using the Kraang or the Foot as the villains as there are a ton of them who were only in one or two episodes but no, instead they opted to introduce even more characters and spend a bunch of other episodes on the main villains doing pointless things.

I don't know, maybe I'm just overly critical but does anyone feel like they're losing interest?
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Vicky82
Emperor

No defently not. The last episode has got me hyped up for wanting to know whats gonna happen next.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Loving it more and more each day. We re-watch the episodes more than any other show.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I do admit season two of Ninja Turtles has been lacking inspiration. The second season of Legend of Korra wasn't great either. But that doesn't mean the show is going completely down hill in a hand truck. This series has been picking up steam lately and there are some interesting things for the Turtles in the up coming season (Vision quests, new weapons and tactics, Northampton arc... to name a few.)
Old 07-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Not at all, I'm always excited to see what will happen next. I love this show.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Sort of. I still love the show but I have found myself growing tired of almost everything Kraang related. Everything with that plot is still status quo and is in need of a major shakeup.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Yes, unfortunately. With the series being TMNT, I want to enjoy it as much as possible, but I'm losing interest due to the series feeling uninspired and unfocused. Casey Jones doesn't help either, I swear, I just want Raph to punch Casey repeatedly. IMO, this is the worst version of Casey ever.

The obvious OT references and elements, although good to start off with, just got repetitive and just seems like they are trying to turn this show into a OT remake.

This is all my opinion though. If you like this series and have no problems with it, then good for you.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
BlisterStockboy
Foot Soldier

The first season of the show was absolutely fantastic and I made absolutely sure that I watched it whenever it aired (even if that meant getting up to watch it). This season, I have no idea when it even airs.. I've never even seen it promoted on Canadian TV, they only play Season 1 on re-runs.

To be honest, I haven't even watched all of the epsiodes, just the key ones (i.e, "The Good, The Bad, and Casey Jones", the first episode with Bebop, and "Vengeance Is Mine".) The story this season isn't too compelling. I don't really like how EVERYBODY is mutating. Like. We get it. Mutagen fell and stuff.. But can we just have a funny episode with some interaction between the characters? I'm all fine with dark episodes, but this entire season has been filled with lackluster jokes, and subpar villains (with a few exceptions).

I'm really looking forward to Season 3, as I hope there will be more Kraang and Dimension X, and I hope that they start having fun with the show again. Season 2 is pretty formulaic, which I don't like. I do however hope that the show lasts at the very least 5 years, because this is the best version of TMNT since 1996 in my honest opinion.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
pennydreadful
trash

No, not getting tired of it at all. Sure, Season 2 is suffering from growing pains, but the good stuff still far outweighs the bad.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Nah, only thing I'm tired of is the breaks thrown into the middle of "seasons" and how little it's actually on tv compared to some stupid stuff Nick has on too often... I don't get that considering it's one of their top rated shows and makes it hard to catch a missed episode. Hate when it's not on in favor of something else...esp when that something else is a repeat. That's really the only annoyance/tire I feel about it, but not toward it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
Midnight Mutant
Foot Soldier

Not at all. I mean, season 2 of the walking dead was bad, but it gave us a lot of character development and lead ups. Season 2 of Korra was bad, but it gave us a ton of history. Season 2 of Fringe was a little more boring and random than season 1, but it was important

Sometimes a show needs a slower season for development as a whole, be it history, or character development, or even plot fillers so that the writers don't have to rush to write the main story.

As for the randomness, sometimes movies/books/stories do that to make the audience confused or throw them off before tying it all together. Sometimes what we FEEL is random, is more like an introduction or a pin in your mind like 'remember this for later, because it will be coming back.' I feel that's what Bebop and rocksteady's human introduction was. A pin. Then later, when they come back into the plot, it's not quite as random and the writers don't have to spend half an episode explaining who they are and why they are in NY.

You have to kind of look at it like a puzzle and for the love of science, have patience. The development is slow and shaky but if you pay attention, it does happen.

Now, if 5 season down the line, they never explain something that was happening in season 2 or 1, then yes, I can see how that is annoying, but, I honestly think they will tie most if not everything up eventually in this arc before moving to to the next arc.

So many people want it now, now, now, now, now and when something isn't explained immediately or a character doesn't develop as fast as they want or the way they want, it's like they drop the show. I don't understand that.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only thing I hope they do is tone down the mutants in Season 3. I hope this was only a Season 2 thing.

The other aspects is less Kraang and more scenarios outside of NYC but there's CG budget to contend with.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

I've been jilted by this show so many times, my optimism has been forced to be very cautious. Whenever they make decent episodes, 2-3 episodes later, they fall back into the cliche mutant plots, regress the characters' growth (particular with Nick Mikey), and seem to waste the opportunities in expanding the storywriting's depth.

From about halfway in Season 1 to "Pizza Face" of Season 2, many episodes were cliche using the "mutant of the week" plot, due to the whole mutagen spill second season premise being a too obvious plot device to have numerous mutants. (There was an article that states by the end of 2015 the Nick show has to have "advertised" over 65 action figures, which the Nick executive admits hasn't been done in most shows. Therefore it hampers the depth and detail of most characters in the storywriting since so many costumes/mutants have to be introduced into the show.)

While the last four episodes have been written well in my point of view, from "The Wrath of Tiger Claw" to "Vengeance Is Mine", it was desperately needed from making the entire second season painfully lackluster. If I wasn't a TMNT fan in the first place (watching out of curiosity now, more or less) and was a small kid, I would have already moved on from the show in Fall of 2013, because I wouldn't have the patience for it. The show may be on a slight current upswing, but it really has a long way to pull itself out of the ditch of poor storywriting it created for nearly one and half seasons.

One of its worst and obvious trite flaws is that if a significant villain or human character comes in, he (since there's only three significant female characters in the show) remains human for a few episodes, and then eventually becomes a mutant. Almost as if the show doesn't know how to expand on him, and decides to mutate him to "add" more drama. When the glow of the mutation is gone (approximately 2 episodes later), the focus of the shows shifts to another mutant and their new abilities/appearance. One thing I fear is that they may have done that with Karai, while underneath it all I wish they had not resorted to that trite stunt, at least the show added some dramatic weight and complexity to the daughter-father relationship by making her a predatory snake against Splinter. (Whether or not the show decides to use this opportunity to add a layer of psychological drama to the show and Karai's character... who knows...) I'm willing to give the show another chance, but this show doesn't have a good track record of keeping mutant characters interesting long after their mutation.

One huge example of this trite mutant formula is Bradford/Dogpound/Rahzar. There was a significant backstory for Bradford, which I compliment the show on, but that was during the early episodes of Season 1, and the show hardly seems to focus on his character now unless he gets mutated (into Dogpound or Rahzar). The fandom was squealing over how cool he looked for about 3 episodes after his mutation, but then their interest faded fast. I won't be surprised if TigerClaw is pushed aside like Rahzar, or mutated to continue the audience's interest in him.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

It's not that I'm tired of the show, season 2 is just getting really boring for me.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
pingclang
Stone Warrior

I still love it but thanks to the new time I can't catch it on and have to rely on Amazon or Youtube to get caught up. Really pisses me off with the new time.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Not entirely, but I have no sense of urgency to watch it, either. I've long since stopped catching it when it's on and pick it up on DVD to watch at my leisure. The April/Donatello thing really got old fast, for me, and since I didn't care for how they did it I didn't really care how they resolved it. It does sort of have the same problem that Smallville had early on, with the whole "New character? Gee. guess who's going to be the villain in next week's episode!" kind of pattern they fall into.

I like it fine, it's just not entirely my cup of tea. I'm not the audience, though, so it's allowed, I guess.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #17
Xav
Foot Elite

No not really. Because I dislike the Kraang I'm actually happy they are focusing more on the Foot this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
This series has been picking up steam lately and there are some interesting things for the Turtles in the up coming season (Vision quests, new weapons and tactics, Northampton arc... to name a few.)
Really? Where did you hear about the third season?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The only thing I hope they do is tone down the mutants in Season 3. I hope this was only a Season 2 thing.
Assuming you mean on the number of them, yeah they could back off on that a bit. I don't mine if there are more added now and then, but spread them out more over time.

Although I would like to see an adult female mutant show up at some point. Someone we won't know as a human first (only backstory flash backs), be an adult female figure in the Turtles' lives (not to mention April and Karai's, if Karai is good still/again) since there is no adult April in this one, AND give Splinter an adult mutant friend (platonic).

You figure, what other adult does Splinter know... his mortal enemy? Every adult needs at least one grown up friend.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Korra's Season 2 is leaps and bounds better than Turtles Season 2 but I don't find it tiring as a whole. It's just certain episodes that are really tedious!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Really? Where did you hear about the third season?
There has been allusions and build up to the Turtle's being forced to grow up by losing their childhood home in up coming episodes. And the season is supposedly going to end with the Turtles fleeing the city.

And there is a concept art of the Turtles with their new weapons and gear in the TMNT: The ultimate visual history.

Tags
foot clan, kraang, nickelodeon