The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Bebop and Rocksteady's classmates: let's talk about the dumbest cartoon characters.

That Bebop and Rocksteady are a bunch of brain donors isn't really all that big of a surprise. But that there are dumber cartoons characters around might be a far bigger surprise. (Because just imagine: somebody actually being DUMBER than Bebop and Rocksteady)

So let's start a thread about those characters which have less brain activity than a can of Tomato soup.

First up: Beavis and Butt-Head

Okay just how dumb are Beavis and Butt-Head?

- They once got stuck on an island in the middle of a fountain in a mall because they feared they'd drown in the water, which was only half an inch deep.
- They couldn't grasp the concept of Ding-dong ditch, as so far that you have to run away after ringing the doorbell before the occupant of the house opens the door.
- Butt-Head puts himself forward as the ladies man but fails to grasp the fact that women find him disgusting.

From the Beavis and Butt-Head Spin-off show "Daria" we have Kevin Thompson.

Kevin is the high school Quarterback and is seldom seen without his football jersey. He has his trophy girlfriend Brittany Taylor who isn't the sharped knife in the drawer either but Brittany DOES show intelligence and a sense of what's right and wrong, which is why I omitted her from this list.

So how dumb is Kevin Thompson?

- Kevin and Brittany had a summer vacation job together as lifeguards at the local pool. During which they fought in front of the kids, a kid nearly drowned when Kevin started showing off his muscles (See the picture) and their demonstration of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation turned into a X-rated show as the two began to make out in full.
- Although Kevin has the quintessential blonde, busty babe in Brittany, he cheats on her very frequently and almost always betrays himself in the dumbest of ways: He casually mentions to having had two steady relationships at the same time with Brittany sitting next to him (after which she kicked his butt) and after Brittany confronted him about the rumor mill in school accusing him of dating both Daria and her younger sister Quinn, rather than to flat out deny it he got this lusty look in his eyes and went "Really? Wow...twins!"
- Team Captain Michael "Mack" McKenzie has to deal with Kevin on a daily basis and is getting more and more frustrated with the latter's inability to process anything. Kevin has appointed Mack to be his best friend, totally oblivious to the latter's frustrations. Kevin always addresses Mack as "Mack-Daddy" even after being told a million times by Mack that he HATES that nickname. Which leads to Kevin trying to use a different, even more grating nickname.

Then we have Dee Dee from "Dexter's Labratory"

I can sum up Dee Dee in two words: "Spoiled brat" Dee Dee is Dexter's older sister and she's the bane of his existence, she always messes up Dexter's experiments and shows up at the most inappropriate occasions, not because she's mean spirited but simply because she's too dumb to realize that Dexter genuinely isn't a walking and talking doll she always sees him as being.

So how dumb is Dee Dee?
- There is an episode in which Dexter has made a new entrance to his lab and has closed off the old one by building a brick wall behind the old door. DeeDee opens that door and slams into that wall, gets up again opens the door once more and walks into the wall and repeats doing so several more times, simply because she doesn't figure out that that entrance is closed off and she can't go in anymore. That basically says it all.

This list wouldn't be complete without Spongebob Squarepants. The worst kind of tiring people are the ones who fail to realize just how tiring they are and Spongebob is a stellar example of that.

So how dumb is Spongebob?
- He's completely oblivious to the fact that Mr. Krabs exploits him, making Krab patties is his passion and as long as he can keep doing so, he doesn't really mind the fact that he earns barely enough to sustain a living.
- When Mr. Krabs opened a second restaurant in the Movie he appointed Squidward as the manager, which left Spongebob completely devastated, failing to realize that Squidward got that appointment because he actually knows how to run that restaurant while all Spongebob is good for is making Krab Patties.
Having mentioned Squidward.
- Spongebob is the neighbor from hell. Spongebob NEVER gets the message that Squidward hates him, and Spongebob has given Squidward plenty of reasons to hate him. He busts into Squidward's home unannounced, trashes the place and goes again without saying sorry.Spongebob always shows up at places where Squidward wants to have a crack at becoming a professional musician and spoils his chances. Not because he has evil intent but because he sees Squidward as a friend and Friends have to be there for each other, he's too dumb to realize that Squidward wants his privacy and does NOT want Spongebob as a friend.
- Mrs. Blowfish' driving school. Spongebob is simply too dumb to realize that all the damage he does to that unfortunate woman really is his doing. Maybe that's a good thing too, just imagine what carnage would ensue if he actually got his driver's license and he goes cruising... Be afraid, be very afraid.
- Patrick Star. Oh boy, where to start on their "Friendship" Patrick steals from Spongebob, insults him in front of his parents and yet Spongebob, believing that "friends should stick together" sticks with Patrick despite the latter treating him like dirt.

Okay feel free to add more.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I only have seen a few episodes of Spongebob, but Patrick Star is the dumbest character I have seen on television. Before him I would argue Hooterville's county agent had an I.Q. of a lima bean and wonder how he could get the position let alone keep it even among the dimwitted citizens of Hooterville. Dating Ralph Monroe doesnt help either. He is not a cartoon character granted I think of him every time dumbest television characters comes up. At least Homer has the crayon excuse, but not this guy.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Kimball
Old 12-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I'd like to nominate Pinky from Pinky and the Brain for honorable mention here. With all the times he inadvertantly screwed up Brain's plots, (yet oddly the best ideas were his), one would have thought Brain would have ditched his "help" long ago. But, nope.

Another one is Peter Griffin- they literally had an episode about him being retarded. Nuuf said.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Dee Dee was only dumb in the first season of the show. From season 2 onwards she got more mean spirited.

Back on topic:

How about Scratch and Grounder from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
Dee Dee was only dumb in the first season of the show. From season 2 onwards she got more mean spirited.

Back on topic:

How about Scratch and Grounder from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
I do feel like they were inspired by Bebop and Rocksteady. Two bumbling henchmen inseparable from each other who only fails despite a brawn edge. They share a love/hate relationship and were created by the series main villain who thought by creating them he could destroy the series main hero. I am surprised that they did not appear in the Archie comic despite it starting with a Satam focus.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I do feel like they were inspired by Bebop and Rocksteady. Two bumbling henchmen inseparable from each other who only fails despite a brawn edge. They share a love/hate relationship and were created by the series main villain who thought by creating them he could destroy the series main hero. I am surprised that they did not appear in the Archie comic despite it starting with a Satam focus.
The Archie comic was an odd mix, it had the characters and overall theme/status quo of the SATAM show but the comedy and silliness of the AOSTH series. Robotnik acted rather silly in the first few issues before the SATAM cartoon came out, to which he would turn darker to match (that and re-naming Boomer to Rotor to also match the cartoon).

I agree Scratch and Grounder are pretty much Bebop and Rocksteady as robots, except not as friendly. Sure, Bebop and Rocksteady would get into arguments from time to time... but they'd never be constantly bickering nonstop, nor were they ever trying to backstab or outstage each other to garner Shredder's favor.

Bebop and Rocksteady's plans would usually fail due to their incompetence, or the Turtles just being too good at stopping them. Scratch and Grounder's plans would fail because they were too busy fighting each other and sabotaging each other for the plans to work. I don't know, they were just more mean spirited. I swear there were times one robot was destroyed and the other didn't give a damn.

As for to nominate someone dumb... I think you guys got most of the good ones. You kinda can't beat Patrick Star.

Offhand I can't think of any anime either. They don't seem to follow the dumb idiot trope as often as they do in American cartoons.

Possible exceptions, Goku and Majin Buu from DBZ. Especially Buu. The odd thing was Toriyama once said if he ever made a new DB series (back in the day when we thought DBZ was the 100% end of it all), he woulda made a funny series about Mr. Satan and Mr. Buu and their hijinx. Obviously we never got to see that as we got into Dragonball Super and whatnot, but that would have been kinda fun to see.

Do Team Rocket count? I mean.. they don't seem to be all that dumb or incompetent. They somehow trick the kids with paper-thin disguises constantly. And most of the time they almost succeed in kidnapping Pokemon and whatever else their plans are. The only really reason they lose is because Ash's Pikachu is so damned overpowered.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The Archie comic was an odd mix, it had the characters and overall theme/status quo of the SATAM show but the comedy and silliness of the AOSTH series. Robotnik acted rather silly in the first few issues before the SATAM cartoon came out, to which he would turn darker to match (that and re-naming Boomer to Rotor to also match the cartoon).

I agree Scratch and Grounder are pretty much Bebop and Rocksteady as robots, except not as friendly. Sure, Bebop and Rocksteady would get into arguments from time to time... but they'd never be constantly bickering nonstop, nor were they ever trying to backstab or outstage each other to garner Shredder's favor.

Bebop and Rocksteady's plans would usually fail due to their incompetence, or the Turtles just being too good at stopping them. Scratch and Grounder's plans would fail because they were too busy fighting each other and sabotaging each other for the plans to work. I don't know, they were just more mean spirited. I swear there were times one robot was destroyed and the other didn't give a damn.

As for to nominate someone dumb... I think you guys got most of the good ones. You kinda can't beat Patrick Star.

Offhand I can't think of any anime either. They don't seem to follow the dumb idiot trope as often as they do in American cartoons.

Possible exceptions, Goku and Majin Buu from DBZ. Especially Buu. The odd thing was Toriyama once said if he ever made a new DB series (back in the day when we thought DBZ was the 100% end of it all), he woulda made a funny series about Mr. Satan and Mr. Buu and their hijinx. Obviously we never got to see that as we got into Dragonball Super and whatnot, but that would have been kinda fun to see.

Do Team Rocket count? I mean.. they don't seem to be all that dumb or incompetent. They somehow trick the kids with paper-thin disguises constantly. And most of the time they almost succeed in kidnapping Pokemon and whatever else their plans are. The only really reason they lose is because Ash's Pikachu is so damned overpowered.
My brother is the Dragonball fan not me, but the few episodes that I have seen suggest Goku is ignorant not atupid. There is a difference.

Team Rocket won just once, how they carry on to this day under Giovanni's payroll is shocking. I miss the shaded Giovanni.He was threatening, but the mystique vanished with his reveal. He should go on a mission just to see why they have incompentence streak. They are not dumb, I mean Meowth learned human-like abilities of walking on two legs and a human language. James is the dumber of three, but not stupid. Their tendancy to cross dress for no reason causes question to one's intelligence and the fact Ash fails to recognize thwir poor disguises just to allow a plot to play out is sad as mentioned above. I think just like Bebop and Rocksteady's incompentence and Scratch and Grounder's bickering causing them to lose, they are victims to two things. First, the hero must win every time and second as time goes on and they still go at it falling into an endless cycle of poor costume, motto, fancy trap be it robot or covered hole, snatch Pikachu, Ash's Pokemon stop them, they blast off. I suggest success of Pokemon anime setting one aspect of the formula that does not change causes this. This is the orobkem Bebop and Rocksteady had for secen of eight seasons. Their last few appearances took away the incompentence but they were used less and not an easy out for the plot like before. I hopwd Jesse and James woukd get this same treatment, but would they disappear shortly afterwards too? Cannot help, but root for Jesse, James, and Meowth. Hopefully they will get out of the trap of an ongoing series one day.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 12-10-2018 at 06:31 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #8
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Goku is pretty dimwitted, when Chichi reminded him of their childhood promise that he would take her hand he actually turned to Kuririn and asked him what he needed Chichi's hand for.

For the better part of four years I have been busy working on a DBZ fancomic called "Legend of Mr. Satan" in which Mr. Satan Meets Goku at the Budokai and becomes a Z-fighter, having been trained by Muten Roshi and Kami-sama. It is a lot of fun doing that series and depicting Goku as the dumbass he can be.

Quote:
The other reason why they keep losing is the fact that they fail to properly think their plans out.

One of their most successful raids was in the episode "Battle Aboard the St. Anne" where they set up a Pokémon swap meet on board a cruise ship and have a lot of Team Rocket foot soldiers help them, they had ample opportunity to hold everybody captive and steal their Pokémon...

...But forgot that there always was a possibility that those Pokémon trainers would start using their Pokémon to fight against Team Rocket.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Even Krang and Shredder were legitimately stupid at times.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
Even Krang and Shredder were legitimately stupid at times.
Especially Shredder. But Krang doing stupid things or overlooking certain things was odd since he had a 900 IQ or whatever it was. He as literally a big brain and also had access to very advanced technology our planet didn't have. So how could someone like him get outsmarted by the Turtles so many times? Or even get owned by the Channel Six crew a couple of times? Irma held him at gunpoint whilst making a Rambo impersonation at some point, for crying out loud
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Uh, Homer and Bart Simpson?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Uh, Homer and Bart Simpson?
Bart isn't really that dumb. Not as dumb as Homer is, at least. Plus he's only 10 years old, anyway. He does get terrible grades but he doesn't seem to apply himself either. Calvin from C&H got terrible grades as well, for example, but he wasn't dumb at all.

I'd say Chief Wiggum and Ralph are the dumbest characters in The Simpsons alongside Homer. Carl and Lenny didn't seem very bright either. Nor did Barney... but that's because alcohol killed his brain cells.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Beast Boy of Teen Titans Go! might be the dumbest character ever animated. There was an episode where he randomly forgot how to chew food.

Or Stimpy.

Or the Two Stupid Dogs.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 12-13-2018 at 01:11 PM.
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I'd say Chief Wiggum and Ralph are the dumbest characters in The Simpsons alongside Homer. Carl and Lenny didn't seem very bright either. Nor did Barney... but that's because alcohol killed his brain cells.
Don't forget Moe. I like Moe.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #15
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Irma held him at gunpoint whilst making a Rambo impersonation at some point, for crying out loud
To be fair, his body was frozen since she shot him from the back in that episode.

Krang has his own share of moments, but Shredder definetly screwed up more. So many times he could've won, but "I need to destroy those blasted turtles!" got in the way. Even when they were captured, "No, don't finish them yet! They must witness our final victory!"

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
Allio
Foot Elite

Can't ever forget the Doronjo Trio

Old 12-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Well, if we're doing anime, let's point out the "underdog" who is only meant to be seen as such because he's an idiot. Seriously, his only real disadvantage is that he barely graduated school. Maybe he's not one of the dumbest, but he's still pretty stupid and it's just about the only reason he fails at anything, beyond that he's absurdly powerful and can overcome his learning disabilities fairly easily.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #18
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
To be fair, his body was frozen since she shot him from the back in that episode.

Krang has his own share of moments, but Shredder definetly screwed up more. So many times he could've won, but "I need to destroy those blasted turtles!" got in the way. Even when they were captured, "No, don't finish them yet! They must witness our final victory!"
Which reminds me of the "wanted Bebop and Rocksteady" special of the Nicktoons series. Where eighties Shredder and Krang had captured all eight of the turtles and Steranko (To make sure we know which Rocksteady, we're talking about) was about to kill them.

Shredder said that death was too good for them and wanted to do something far more insidious. With Krang in full agreement.

"It is time for GLOATING!"

At which they unleash the dumbest insults you can possibly come up with.

Zeck: These dudes are even dumber than we are!
Steranko: Da and that's saying something.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #19
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Bring this one up again because I thought of some more.

That Yogi Bear isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer is pretty much a given and it's also the main plot of the show. But, boy Boo Boo lowers the lat even more. There was this episode (of which I can't remember the title) in which Yogi tries to con visitors of Jellystone park out of their money for them to see a real geyser. The said Geyser being Boo Boo with a water gun in a cone shaped contraption. Boo Boo first of all squirts at the wrong moments but also every single time he squirts, actually comes from underneath the "geyser" to ask Yogi if he did it right that time. Thus blowing the cover off Yogi's scam and not understanding why people keep walking away.

Yes, Boo Boo, that's TOTALLY the right way to free Yogi from this precarious situation.

Gir from "Invader Zim"

Gir's incompetence is a very large reason to why none of Zim's evil plans work. Yet Gir himself does show glimpses of intelligence, to higher degree than Zim's. But in general Gir is zany, oblivious and destructive.

We talked about Son Goku and Majin Buu in this thread but what about the guy who brought Buu to life?

What plan did Babidi have when bring Buu back, did he know what he was in for? Even when Dabura warned him about having bitten off more than he could possibly chew, he paid him no attention.

Take a look at Buu's eyes when Goku asks him outright why he follows the orders of such an incompetent and cowardly person such as Babidi.

"Now you can't say the spell to seal me up anymore. SO DIE YOU IDIOT!"
Old 01-05-2020, 02:36 AM   #20
Icebot
Foot Elite

There was also Cosmo and Timmy’s dad from Fairly Oddparents. Cosmo was pretty dumb and Timmy’s dad did countless dumb things.

Also Dingo from Sonic Underground.

Does Inspector Gadget count? He gets it wrong sometimes and thinks the bad guys are the good guys and tries to arrest the ones who are actually the good guys.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote