The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #261
Dr. Doom
Allons-y!

I have the exact same problem, but I guess I just kinda never did anything about it. And I've been downloading stuff at an abysmally slow rate ever since.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #262
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

That, and how do I get my WAN-IP so I can configure my router?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #263
JameO
Mad Scientist

http://www.mywanip.com/

If that works, I don't know not having a wireless network, but I say get Ares, eDonkey isnt the greatest, Ares is one of the best that I have come accross, fast downloads.

http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/
Old 02-05-2006, 04:01 AM   #264
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
That, and how do I get my WAN-IP so I can configure my router?
Actually, you need your router's LAN IP instead if you want to configure it. If you have never changed it, go to the Support > Downloads section at http://www.linksys.com and download the manual for your router. In it, look for the default router IP and password so that you can configure port forwarding.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 04:31 AM   #265
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Cool. I got the router IP and am in the config, but I can't figure out how to do the actual port fordwarding itself to get it to work with eDonkey2000. I can post screenshots of the config screen if they would help?
Old 02-05-2006, 04:50 AM   #266
damnhooligan
Mad Scientist

Have you tried http://www.edonkey2000.com/documentation/u_linksys.html yet?

If you can't get to your router using http://192.168.1.1 then it's probably been secured (good idea with wireless) and give https://192.168.1.1 a shot.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:50 AM   #267
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Sure, feel free to post them and I'll take a look. BTW, while you're in the router config area, it would be a good idea to change the default password to something else for security reasons.

Edit: Actually, the guide that damnhooligan posted looks like it should help you get everything set up, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Old 02-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #268
Peanut
Second Gear

Does anyone know what happened to Ai? I think WoW swallowed him alive!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #269
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Seems so.

Thanks DW and Krang
Old 02-13-2006, 04:09 AM   #270
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Hmmm...probobly a stupid question, but does anyone know how to get Outlook Express going without it automatically starting up AIM? I hate AIM because everytime I'm on there for like 5 seconds, I get spammed by like 50 people who read my sh*t on AMN which causes my laptop to crash. Happens damned near everytime I log onto Outlook.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:10 AM   #271
JameO
Mad Scientist

Start >>>> Run

Outlook

Ok>>>>

*OUTLOOK APPEARS*
Old 02-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #272
damnhooligan
Mad Scientist

Okay, my computer just took a complete header this morning.

When I try to boot it up, the PC's internal speakers beep incessantly and the fan starts spinning so fast and loudly that I can actually feel a breeze on my face from about 4 feet away. The monitor remains black the whole time. Then I get kinda scared at the noises, and shut it off. Could those beeps be a BIOS code? I'm kind of worried that I fried something when I tried to boot it up, thanks to good ol' static electricity. I do have the luxury of not being the last one who touched it however, so I can always blame it on my husband.

Hard to diagnose these things without being there in person, but any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #273
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

DH, try opening it up and seeing if anything's loose or jared... or dust covered. My PC, eventhough I just cleaned it out a couple weeks ago, already has dust gathering inside. Too much build up can cause stuff not to work.

Here's a question for ya'll: I picked up a new SATA HDD for my computer today, but I'm not sure what all needs to be done to get it to run as a slave drive. it's a western digital "WD Caviar SE" if that means anything. It didn't come with any jumper connecters, so I already know I'll need to pick one of those up. My computer has another cable that it can be plugged into, as well as another power connecter. I also have a free bay for it, of course.

I just need to know what settings to put this sucker on.

Also, once it's installed, can I put an OS on the drive, install programs, move it into the boot drive and switch this one to a slave? That's sorta what I have in my head, that way the faster, better, drive is what most stuff gets read from.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:08 AM   #274
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
Hmmm...probobly a stupid question, but does anyone know how to get Outlook Express going without it automatically starting up AIM? I hate AIM because everytime I'm on there for like 5 seconds, I get spammed by like 50 people who read my sh*t on AMN which causes my laptop to crash. Happens damned near everytime I log onto Outlook.
This may not be the solution that you're looking for, but I recommend that you try Thunderbird (or, if you prefer your browser integrated with your email like I do, try SeaMonkey). You can easily import your email from Outlook Express, and not only will this solve the AIM problem, but it will also prevent you from being infected by email viruses that target security holes in OE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnhooligan
Okay, my computer just took a complete header this morning.

When I try to boot it up, the PC's internal speakers beep incessantly and the fan starts spinning so fast and loudly that I can actually feel a breeze on my face from about 4 feet away. The monitor remains black the whole time. Then I get kinda scared at the noises, and shut it off. Could those beeps be a BIOS code? I'm kind of worried that I fried something when I tried to boot it up, thanks to good ol' static electricity. I do have the luxury of not being the last one who touched it however, so I can always blame it on my husband.

Hard to diagnose these things without being there in person, but any guidance would be appreciated.
Actually, some motherboards do use beeps as diagnostic codes. Try checking your motherboard's manual (or check the manufacturer's website) to see if there is a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwgtrunks
Here's a question for ya'll: I picked up a new SATA HDD for my computer today, but I'm not sure what all needs to be done to get it to run as a slave drive. it's a western digital "WD Caviar SE" if that means anything. It didn't come with any jumper connecters, so I already know I'll need to pick one of those up. My computer has another cable that it can be plugged into, as well as another power connecter. I also have a free bay for it, of course.

I just need to know what settings to put this sucker on.
SATA only allows one drive per cable, so there are actually no master/slave configurations or jumpers to worry about. You might want to check your BIOS to make sure the boot order is correct, though.

Quote:
Also, once it's installed, can I put an OS on the drive, install programs, move it into the boot drive and switch this one to a slave? That's sorta what I have in my head, that way the faster, better, drive is what most stuff gets read from.
Sure, you'll just need a boot loader (WinNT/2K/XP and Linux both install one by default) to point to the correct drive. To configure XP's boot loader, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced, and click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #275
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Getting a Mac O SX Dock for Windows...

I was wondering if maybe the computer savy people on the drome could help me out. I want to get the Mac dock/bar for my pc, and I know theres programs to do it, but I cant find them. Can anyone help?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #276
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

I know what you're talking about, Brodie, but the only ones I came across were pay-to-use programs, and for something that does so little it just seemed insane to pay for it.

If I can find the web addy for it, I'll hook you up though.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #277
JameO
Mad Scientist

What I use to make windows look a bit cool is, Windowsblinds, its an awesome free software. You can pay for it, but the free one is just as good, itll customize bars and everything just animation windows and stuff like that will be needed to pay, hope this helps.

http://www.stardock.com/products/win.../downloads.asp

And here is the Mac OS bar style im guessing you want? Try it out.

http://www.wincustomize.com/ViewSkin...D=4881&LibID=1

There is the search that brought up Mac stuff, that site is pretty cool alot of stuff you can customize. Hope that helped.

http://www.wincustomize.com/Skins.as...&searchtxt=Mac
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #278
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

So, Ai... we meet again.

This time I bring to you a small problem.

I need a DVD decoder for this computer. Running W2k, and and LG DVD/CDRW combo drive if that last part's important.

I have a hunch it's on the disc that came with the drive... but seeing as after I ran the installer on there my computer was rendered useless I'm a bit leery to try it again. Any help would be awesome.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #279
Super Moderator

What do you mean by a DVD decoder? You mean like, a player? You can download VLC Player and use that. I use it to watch DVD's, and it's flawless.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #280
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

I think he means like the DVD Codec that installs when you install DVD Player software. I'll PM you one later if I still have it dude.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote