The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #101
King Kahn
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogod View Post
But that's exactly what's happening - like I mentioned, I've encountered far too many people who don't care about TMNT snapping these up purely to resell them for a huge profit a few months down the road.
again... not scalping.

If I sell my original MOSC Leonardo for 200.00 now is it scalping because 30+ years ago they were 5.00?

No.

I am taking a figure that anyone had access to and selling after they are no longer making them for what the market price is.

If you KNOW the lootcrate figure is going to be more later then it is on you for not buying them at retail price now when you can, rather than market price later.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #102
teemu
Hench Mutant

Mixed feelings for me on that Shark....I don't even collect the video game line. Was hoping this would blow me away
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:05 AM   #103
Otter
Hench Mutant

Yeah... I'll be looking to sell the shark. Zero connection for me. Three out of five is more than I expected though!
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:23 AM   #104
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
You don't remember him from the show and the mutation gun episode and whatnot? I don't think I remembered his name until the figure, but it's like you can't help but feel that he's the mutant that never was.....

And this convo made me realize something - wouldn't it have been terrific if NECA double printed their city block playset so that on the back it was a Technodrome playset? Now THAT is a lost opportunity right there.
That is actually a really good idea. You mean inside the building dio would be a Technodrome dio (of sorts)?

I would like to see a 1 story high building dio (with Technodrome on the reverse). Current dio is too big and too expensive for a casual collector like me, but I would definitely be interested in a smaller cheaper version.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost, in time, like tears... in... rain. Time... to die."
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:34 AM   #105
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
That's not what is happening at all. Again, these are open pre-order. There is not a finite supply. If someone orders 1000 sets it is not taking 1000 sets away from other people. It just means that Loot Crate will produce 1000 more sets.
I can see where Discogod is coming from. Yes, these are currently "limitless" for anyone to get on pre-order...BUT there are LOTS of people who will be buying these purely to sell on for profit. That for me, is scalping (or part of it).

They have no intention of keeping/playing/displaying these items. They are going to separate ALL the individual crates and sell each item on for an overall profit.

However if someone is buying all the crates to, let's say, get Scrag then selling the other crates they don't want at the retail price as a starting bid, then anyone that bids over that amount, that is their prerogative. That is not scalping.

You might say that why doesn't someone just buy the crates now if they want the figure, but some people might not be able to afford all 4 crates.

I actually just sold my sealed Spirit of Splinter Loot Crate. I put it up for less than purchase price and it sky rocketed. But when I bought it I had no intention of selling it.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost, in time, like tears... in... rain. Time... to die."
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:59 AM   #106
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

As long as I have ample opportunity to learn a new TMNT figure is coming, to put in a pre-order for it somewhere and know it will be fulfilled, and receive my figure eventually, I don't really give a rip what anyone else does with any figures they likewise procure.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #107
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
That is actually a really good idea. You mean inside the building dio would be a Technodrome dio (of sorts)?

I would like to see a 1 story high building dio (with Technodrome on the reverse). Current dio is too big and too expensive for a casual collector like me, but I would definitely be interested in a smaller cheaper version.
Yup - I'm just saying that it would have added value with minimal print work. On the front is the street scene that we all ordered and are waiting for. You turn it around and printed on the back is an interior setup of the Technodrome. It would maybe come with a few extra plastic pieces and highlights to flesh it out. Let's face it, they could've done it and sold it for exactly the same price. NECA would say that it was cost prohibitive, but let's face it - we all know the markup on the street scene was huge.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #108
groogrux0609
Thug

Will all 4 figures be revealed before the deadline?
groogrux0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #109
Y2Josh
Thug

Quote:
I can see where Discogod is coming from. Yes, these are currently "limitless" for anyone to get on pre-order...BUT there are LOTS of people who will be buying these purely to sell on for profit. That for me, is scalping (or part of it).

They have no intention of keeping/playing/displaying these items. They are going to separate ALL the individual crates and sell each item on for an overall profit.

However if someone is buying all the crates to, let's say, get Scrag then selling the other crates they don't want at the retail price as a starting bid, then anyone that bids over that amount, that is their prerogative. That is not scalping.

You might say that why doesn't someone just buy the crates now if they want the figure, but some people might not be able to afford all 4 crates.

I actually just sold my sealed Spirit of Splinter Loot Crate. I put it up for less than purchase price and it sky rocketed. But when I bought it I had no intention of selling it.
I don't know... if most people are really buying these just to sell later, I'd think that would drive the aftermarket prices down, because everyone's sitting on a ton of these. I'm personally hoping that doesn't happen, because I'd like to recover part of the cost of Scrag by selling Armaggon and Donatello.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #110
teemu
Hench Mutant

Its definitely annoying that Scrag is the bonus figure. It should of been Shredder
Old 03-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #111
Otter
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Its definitely annoying that Scrag is the bonus figure. It should of been Shredder
I'd've been in the same situation either way since I've ordered all crates, but I don't agree clone Shredder should have been the bonus as it's too iconic a character. Return to New York is one of the most beloved Mirage story arcs, and the clones were even featured in the 2003 series. Isn't Scrag kind of a blink-and-you'll-miss-him character? If it weren't for the mutated alternate parts, which make him a cool design, I wouldn't have any interest at all.
Of course, I have I Mirage bias.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #112
King Kahn
Hench Mutant

Quote:

Buying with the intent to resell still is not scalping when literally anyone can buy them. The thing is if people are buying many to resell it could also backfire on them if lots do it, since it will bring the price down later on figures.

Even though you did not intend to sell splinter you still did. Did you put it at a buy it now price for what it originally cost you? No? Why? Because you know it would go higher in auction because the market price on hi is higher now. Wouldn't that be considered 'scalping' because it is the bidders fault? The seller knows the price will go higher so it isn't because they are altruisitic. If the seller was trying to 'do good' then it wouldn't be an auction it would be a "buy it now" sale for cost.

If I sold mine I sure as hell will be getting what it is selling for now.

I get not being able to afford all the crates. But we are on a message board (or FB groups) where people can work out deals, or you can buy just the crate you want, unless it is Scrag, etc. There are options if you really want a figure right now.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #113
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
Buying with the intent to resell still is not scalping when literally anyone can buy them. The thing is if people are buying many to resell it could also backfire on them if lots do it, since it will bring the price down later on figures.

Even though you did not intend to sell splinter you still did. Did you put it at a buy it now price for what it originally cost you? No? Why? Because you know it would go higher in auction because the market price on hi is higher now. Wouldn't that be considered 'scalping' because it is the bidders fault? The seller knows the price will go higher so it isn't because they are altruisitic. If the seller was trying to 'do good' then it wouldn't be an auction it would be a "buy it now" sale for cost.

If I sold mine I sure as hell will be getting what it is selling for now.

I get not being able to afford all the crates. But we are on a message board (or FB groups) where people can work out deals, or you can buy just the crate you want, unless it is Scrag, etc. There are options if you really want a figure right now.
If Loot Crate wold give me some kind of a discount I could do a group buy for the forum guys here through my LLC, Wave 1 Collectibles. I have the tax I.D. number for it, but I think Loot Crate is end-user only. I don't think I can redistribute from them.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #114
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I'd've been in the same situation either way since I've ordered all crates, but I don't agree clone Shredder should have been the bonus as it's too iconic a character. Return to New York is one of the most beloved Mirage story arcs, and the clones were even featured in the 2003 series. Isn't Scrag kind of a blink-and-you'll-miss-him character? If it weren't for the mutated alternate parts, which make him a cool design, I wouldn't have any interest at all.
Of course, I have I Mirage bias.
I think one issue with Scrag being the bonus figure is that many will want doubles of him to have both the human and mutant forms as separate figures (which is more incentivized by the very likely probability that NECA will make figures of human Bebop and human Rocksteady in the future).

Donatello the Dark Turtle probably should have been the bonus figure instead. It's a one-episode reference, a variant of an existing figure, and is part of the toon line just like Scrag so they'd just be switching places. Plus, unlike Scrag, there's no incentive to get doubles.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #115
teemu
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
I think one issue with Scrag being the bonus figure is that many will want doubles of him to have both the human and mutant forms as separate figures (which is more incentivized by the very likely probability that NECA will make figures of human Bebop and human Rocksteady in the future).

Donatello the Dark Turtle probably should have been the bonus figure instead. It's a one-episode reference, a variant of an existing figure, and is part of the toon line just like Scrag so they'd just be switching places. Plus, unlike Scrag, there's no incentive to get doubles.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-06-2021, 08:21 PM   #116
tmntfan4ever
Foot Soldier

Armaggon Tournament Fighters

Old 03-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #117
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I want him soooo bad it hurts.

One figure closer to finishing my SNES TMNT tournament fighters roster.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #118
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

FYI for those still waiting....it looks like my Spirit of Splinter shipped
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #119
SleepDrifter
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post

Totally agree. I’m stoked to own both but for those that can’t afford, or don’t want to afford paying for all four boxes, this arrangement makes a lot more sense to me. I probably would’ve skipped the mirage and movie boxes as I’m not deeply interested in collecting those lines... that’s how they get ya!
SleepDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #120
Princess Anri
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
FYI for those still waiting....it looks like my Spirit of Splinter shipped
Did you get a separate confirmation email for this?

I can't find a record of my order but I know I ordered one when I got the first set of loot crates.

Casey: You want a fist in the mouth? I've never even looked at another guy before.
Princess Anri is offline   Reply With Quote