The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #81
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I'm personally not feeling Seasons 3/4, not only do I feel like we are going back to the status quo but I feel as if the Galra are barely a threat now, I don't know I feel as if most of Voltron's problems are based on their personal goals versus fighting the Galra also I don't care how Hunk is put into the corner.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #82
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I didn't think about it like that but you're right, and yes Hunk has been ignored for a while and that sucks. I still feel the greatest problem is the writers don't want to write a Voltron cartoon but are using Voltron to write the story they wanted.j

I'm just not a fan of it even if the story isn't, I like enough to continue watching it and I will finish it though, season 4 or I guess Season 5 should come out around February even if its just only a few episodes.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #83
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Season 5 is out on March 2nd

NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #84
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Just watched the latest season, 6 episode and the new season comes out June 15th, I think I actually prefer this splitting up the seasons, we get new episodes every 3 1/2 months more or less.

This season was fine, there was a lot of action though it also had some slow parts, oddly enough there was no real threat for many episodes. Weird how the war just abruptly ended for the most part. Season ended without any real cliffhanger, I guess they still need to get rid of the factions but whatever.

The whole show is a mess, mostly because as I've stated it's ashamed of being Voltron and it wants to be something else and maybe if it were not Voltron the show could be far more interesting since it's basically holding it down at this point. So much could've been done with the original lore and the 76 episode order instead of this take which would've been better with a new IP.

Sucks that Shiro is still the leader, I loved when they got rid of him and shook things up but due to fan whining they went back to the original line up which was never meant to last this whole time.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #85
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I'm a new fan and just started watching Season 5 (I skipped all the other seasons before it).

I think Shiro is fine but I'm annoyed that he snapped at Lance (told him to shut up) and generally being an asshole to everyone else. I mean he's hot but being a crazy ass doesn't help his case.

I generally saw pics/arts of Lance and Keith together with the team, so to have him away from them is jarring. Hope the future season will put him back together where he belongs.

So I think I'll start Season 1 now that I'm catched up with the current season.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #86
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

So after learning season 5 was just released I decided to like always binge watch it and man does splitting up the seasons in two kinda hurt the show imo. I mean I get what they are doing and trying to ape off the success of shows like Game of thrones and Walking dead by giving mid seasons finales but man is it a pain to endure. But you know despite all of that I did enjoy this season, Lotor being sort of a wild card is interesting, Shiro(or the being that looks like Shiro) being a plant to the high preistess and Allura interacting with Lotor. What I dislike is that muh boi Hunk being left into a corner again. But still good season

Last edited by PApagreg; 03-10-2018 at 08:32 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #87
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I was hoping Allura would actually get her own White Lion so the team can settle back to where they originally started.

Nice that we finally met Keith's mom.

But Fun Robot was the best part of this season. Especially the scene where it was launched into space while "Amazing Grace" was used for music
Old 03-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #88
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I don't see the significance in meeting Keith's mom in this season tbh. Or anyone's mom in any show - do we need to see April's mom? Goku's mom? Vegeta' mom? Batman's mom?

Nope. Such a meh side story tbh. I rather they focus on the main and supporting characters.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #89
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I don't see the significance in meeting Keith's mom in this season tbh. Or anyone's mom in any show - do we need to see April's mom? Goku's mom? Vegeta' mom? Batman's mom?

Nope. Such a meh side story tbh. I rather they focus on the main and supporting characters.
1.Keith's missing mom and his Galra ancestry has been a thing in this show since season 2 and his mom is part of the Blade of Marmora

2. The death of Batman's parents has been the his motivation since decades so bad example there.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #90
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

You know I personally have sort of a love/hate relationship with this show and one of the things I don't like about it is that most of the Galra are too similar. I know there is a story behind it but when the 3 of the contenders for the crown are the same "Grrr strength is absolute" type personalities its kinda boring and the one character who isn't like that gets killed in the end.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #91
Storm Eagle
Saved by

There will be a DVD set for Voltron: Legendary Defender coming out on July 12th. It'll have the first two seasons, and no special features.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Voltron...-1-and-2/24094
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #92
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I rather watch it on Netflix in HD than spending money on the barren and SD dvd. Their marketing dept needs to be fired.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #93
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I rather watch it on Netflix in HD than spending money on the barren and SD dvd. Their marketing dept needs to be fired.
Well...there's a thought. Then again, we still don't have the 2012 TMNT series on Blu-ray.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #94
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I know right. Apparently these companies hate money...
Old 06-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #95
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Season 6 trailer:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/05/voltron-...6-trailer/amp/
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:11 AM   #96
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

You know after hearing Keith's dad talk I'm going to be beyond pissed if we don't hear Keith with a Southern accent.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #97
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Just finished season 6 and it's so lack luster, the season finale was hype but they just mishandle so many things that instead of it being an awesome show you think "well it had some cool moments" Slight spoilers for S6 ahead I guess.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Most of my complains from the show are still on: Music is not memorable enough but at least I know now the classic music is not there because of copyright.

The Lotor heel turn did not work for me since he had already had a face-heel turn, what was the point of redoing it, in fact it almost feels like we're all the way back to S3 or 4 in terms of status quo, what was even the point of the last few seasons if everything is back to how things were?

The shiro reveal was weak but I'm glad he's gone for good now, reviving him because of fan backlash was a big mistake. Again we're back to the Status quo of a few seasons back which was far more interesting. I also like that Kieth is finally the leader we always hoped.

Not enough Voltron in the show named Voltron but that final fight almost made up for it, I wish we had more mech action in this show. They clearly still not have enough experience animating voltron even 6 seasons in because they barely ever feature him but I'm glad he got so much focus in that final episode.

That Galra blonde girl we see this season is such a better design for Princess Allura, brown allura is a cool design as well but that is not the princess. Speaking of Allura, I'm glad she's finally piloting a lion once again.

I continue to have a love/hate relationship with this show, so many cool things going for it only for them to waste them. Let's see where things go, since it's a new page I'll repost my wish list for the rest of the 78 confirmed episodes we'll be getting. We're at 52 now so that means we have 4 more "split" seasons or two more 13 episode seasons whichever way you want to take a look at how Netflix handled the show after season 2:
Vehicle Voltron episode (only 1 episode come on)
Voltrex/Stealth Voltron (both awesome designs)
Classic Theme (even if for the final episode only)
Sven to join the "real" universe (Maybe now that Shiro is gone for good)
Robotic Prince Lothor ( I guess it can happen now that he's "dead")
The Crew from the voltron revival in the early 2010s, even if just random characters we see one day.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #98
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The series will end with its eighth season.

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/07/2...-announcement/

Also,

Spoiler:
Shiro has been confirmed to be an LGBTQ character. He was going to marry someone named Adam, but he broke things off to join the Kerebos mission instead.

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/07/2...iro-boyfriend/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #99
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It really isn't big news, I don't know why everyone is only now reporting on it, look at this thread, I found out the Netflix deal was a 78 episode deal a long time ago. Getting excited over 13 episode seasons is dumb, I prefer the half seasons they were going for since it made the wait easier. The wait for Season 2 was too long and constantly getting episodes even if "half" of the 13 episodes was still better. Now we'll likely have to wait until next year before the last season instead of getting them released slowly.

Sorry for being a buzzkill.

Sad the show is ending but hope it was a success, Netflix doesn't release numbers, do we know how the toyline is doing? I have a lot of problems with Voltron but I want MORE stuff like it and to see it improved, less pandering to the tumblr crowd and more action but I loved the art, the animation, the serious setting, etc. I could just do with better writing.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #100
Unworthy tinker
Hench Mutant

I won't deny that I love this show. It held me over on the "reboot of an 80's series with tons of lore" front in between issues of IDW TMNT this last year. I however won't deny that yes, it is flawed. However, recent contreversy seems rather harsh. It seems that this season is practically disowned by the fandom, and not for many practical reasons. That, or, the minority acts as if it's flawless. I would like to present more moderate opinions here. Sorry, spoilers and some long ranting ahead.

Spoiler:
Starting off simple, I can see why a lack of the titular robot is a problem. I do also see many comppaints about the transformation sequence. Honestly? I didn't mind the lack of robot action in the first half. We are given an explaination, and when Voltron is formed for the first time this season, yes, I actually welcomed the recycled animation with open arms. They actually made me miss the reused animation. That's a win in my book.

Here's something I see a lot of people complain about. And by complain, I mean sending death threats to the cast and crew. It's this that honestly made me want to write this as the middle man, the less extreme opinion. That is Shiro and Adam's relationship. I think that at face value, looking at what we're given, it is kind of beautiful. Adam said for Shiro to not expect him to be there when he returned. And he kind of did keep his promise, in a messed up way. Also, the break up happened because Adam didn't want to see Shiro die/suffer. And the opposite happens, as Adam dies instead. It's...what's the term I'm looking for? Poetic? Ironic? Both? Maybe?
With this said, I did expect more out of Adam, as well as more Shiro backstory. Currently, people are accusing the cast and crew of queerbaiting. Now, as a straight chick, I can't pretend that I understand completely. But death threats?! Okay, Adam was overused in promotional material- do we really need him featured on two Netflix thumbnails? He shows up for two scenes and kaput. I was expecting an actual character. I do feel sympathy for Shiro over Adam's death, but I can't really feel for Adam. He just existed. I was fine with his death itself, it gave a sense of how big the war was, I just would have appreciated it if we were given reason to care about Adam himself, not just how Shiro will react. Also, about when I said I wanted more Shiro backstory, yes, I expected to see why Shiro loved Adam, what they were like at their best, instead of only the breakup, but also, something else potentially larger is missing. Family??? Not once is Shiro's family acknowledged in any way be it in flashbacks or the second half of the season.
Sorry for looping back to Adam and his death, but people are whining about the "bury your gays" trope. Once more, I cannot pretend to understand entirely, and certainly frown upon the harrassment of the showrunners, but I kind of find this contridictory. Shiro is still alive and honestly, probably doing better than ever. Yes, what a shame that Adam died, but not all the gays are dead. I think Shiro actually may be getting a great ending. Yes, he lost an ex boyfriend, but it's not as if he was made out to be some pathetic, hopeless character. Now, this part excites me. The Atlas. I'll take a moment to be immature and say my god, it's f'ing awesome, how can anybody hate this thing in battle! But okay, Shiro, a non-Altean created this thing. It is larger than Voltron itself. I'm seeing around that Atlas means someone/something that carries the weight of the world on their shoulders. If you ask me, this may even be a greater honor than the black lion. Shiro is indeed a hero.
Also on this note, I am aware of plot convenience, but I think this may have an answer. The Atlas runs off of Altean-esqu tech and has the Castle of Lions in it. Shiro's arm has an Altean power source. He spent who knows how long in the Voltron mindspace. Haggar gave him a vision of the White Lion. Potential residual magic or something from his revival. A handful of answers as to why. And I'm glad we actually have some answers to inference on this one.

Piggybacking off of the on-screen answers bit. Why Shiro can't pilot black and the nature of his and Adam's relationship being explained through Word of God, not on-screen. For the casual fan or even some random kid watching this years from now, how are they supposed to know about this stuff without digging up old interviews? Granted, I can let go of the Black lion a little because dude. The Atlas. I think its mere existence is all we need.

So, moving away from Shiro. I loved Hunk this season. That's all. Oh, wait, no, as cute as the mouse pics were, I cringed when he said "selfie." That'll date the show a bit.

See gripes about Lance not getting an arc. He does have one though. He may not have whole episodes dedicated to him- which honestly, I wouldn't mind- but he has an arc. You can see it in those moments where he does shine, and when compairing him in episode one to who he is now. Once a flirt, hitting on any girl. Now he truly is in love with Allura. No longer is he just attemptingnto be suave, he really likes her.
That said, lemme derail to be immature and say some shipping BS real quick- I guess it'll be Lance and Allura. Saw it going down this path, but I didn't wanna believe. Having seen all prior series, and reading most of the comics, I was rooting pretty heavily for Keith and Allura. I think Allura seemingly liking Lance back kind of came out of nowhere, given how last season she seemed rather saddended to hear of his crush. That said, I guess at this point, Kallura would have been even more underdeveloped, so okay. Fair enough. Also, Acxa just went soft of Keith because she thought he was cute? Frick that. Okay, fine, maybe she actually saw something, loved what he stands for, but still, she holds back because of a crush?!

The Feud is an episode I have mixed feelings on. And its problem for me also goes for Monsters and Mana. And that is how upon first viewing, you grow impatient. Oh, a three year timeskip happened? Okay, lol, have some filler. That said, the episode itself is rather amusing to me, and when the next episode starts, I'm greatful we had a breather.

Romelle was great when she appeared, but her character, while presented lovably is inconsistent, and she kind of fades into the background halfway through the season.

Haggar, or rather her lack of a presence, is a mixed bag as well. On one hand, I don't think the story should have been derailed just to bring her in. I am very glad that we were given some clear hints that she is still out there. Although, it did seem she would have taken up most of the third arc, the current arc. Still, we have thirteen episodes left. I'm ready to see her take the helm of big bad. I'm ready to discover her motives.

Also, the moments at the end with the memorial. Seems a lot of stuff this season hinted at a new generation, namely this scene, and Hunk talking about handing his lion to someone new. Clearly, they survived this season, but I wonder if perhaps this is a hint for the future? Maybe something similar to Force. Maybe the final scene of the series will show the next gen, or there will be a spin-off. The series creators have been teasing something in the vein of a continuation or spin-off, particularly that they want to do a novel series about the Blades of Marmora, and recently, that they wish to create an extended universe so the audience knows that time on Earth did not slow down just because Voltron back in space.

Final verdict? As much as I am knocking this season, I enjoyed it more than say, the third and fourth. The positives are that Hunk got some focus, we see Lance's family, and Keith gets some backstory, like how he met Shiro. Giant robot fights were absolutely badass. And overall the fight for Earth felt epic. This isn't just any planet they're saving, it's home. This one is personal. Sendak is finally put to rest. Shiro finally gets a happy ending. Haggar is definetely coming in, and she's gonna be awesome. That bit at the end where the Galaxy Garrison becomes the Galaxy Alliance makes me happy, as well as the paladins reuniting with their families. Also, I will consider the cadets the spiritual successor to Vehicle Voltron. I just wanted to give this season a more anylitical criticism than "but muh OPT! U r queerbaiting!"

Also, the final season will premiere this year. Speculation is because Dreamworks wants it over with because of the toxic fandom. I don't think that's the case, but I won't deny, I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: oh, and the toys flopped. The 2017 SDCC exclusive was later given a retail release. In 2018 however, the SDCC exclusive was shown off at toy fair, but did not hit retail. I think it is safe to assume that it was intended for such as 2017's, but the first wave of action figures flopped, thus bringing down the lion figures with them. Which is funny, since Shiro's return happened purely to sell toys. So much for that. We got Shiro, Keith, and Lance, but no Pidge, Hunk, or Allura, as well as I believe cancelled lions that could fit figures into them, and I think a robeast. Yup, all cancelled. We just got like, three sets of lions, three paladins, talking Voltron, and mini Voltron. I guess I can say it's no major loss though, given that the series only has about four months left.

Last edited by Unworthy tinker; 08-12-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Unworthy tinker is offline   Reply With Quote