The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #981
ZariusTwo
Overlord

King is playing with Zero Year continuity with this story.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #982
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

If I understand correctly, Batman was mad at Riddler for murdering Kite Man's son to create a riddle? So he reacts by wanting knife The Riddler to death? It does not add up for Riddler to be such a killer and it does not add up for Batman to react rhat way. Would a normal person be driven to murder a murderer over a loved one? Sure, but it does not add up and as Selina says, "who cares". Joker blocking the knife makes Batman who he is? That is ridiculous! A lot ofead up for that? Bruce and Selina married heck yes! War of Jokes and Riddles? What is the point?
Old 10-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #983
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Kings run has sounded iffy, so I've put off reading it, and that's kind of extended to this whole engagement thing. Sour taste by association. Not that I was wild about the idea to begin with, but of all the runs for it to be done in, it had to be the one where Batmans entire mission is reframed as planned slow burn suicide.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #984
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
it had to be the one where Batmans entire mission is reframed as planned slow burn suicide.
Slow Burn Suicide? Elaborate if you would.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #985
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Slow Burn Suicide? Elaborate if toubwould.
There's a reason the second arc is called "I Am Suicide". Batman was a long term way for Bruce Wayne to kill himself, as per Kings run. Not only does it remove anything heroic about the character, it makes aspects of the mythos f***ing horrifying, such as a man who acts as a vigilante as a form of long term, assisted suicide taking on partners, wards and apprentices. Suddenly, the idea of Robin is deeply, deeply ugly in a way it wasn't even before, when the storytelling grew up and the idea of kids acting as mini superheroes and sidekicks had to be either explained or done away with. It's some DKR s***, only without the many, many years of loss and heartbreak wearing him down to the point where he muses on "a good death".

It feels like the ultimate culmination of the 80's sensibilities and focusing on Batman as a psychologically broken figure, only this time taking him past the point where he really should just be in a mental ward.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:59 AM   #987
ZariusTwo
Overlord

It looks like things really are winding down for the Rebirth phase

-Benjamin Percy is leaving Green Arrow
-Trinity will be axed in April
-Superwoman is already cancelled

But perhaps most concerning is that Doomsday Clock is switching to a bi-monthly schedule, meaning it won't conclude until summer 2019, meaning all the books will have to start telling filler arcs until they catch up to where it is since the event takes place a year in DC's future.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #988
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
But perhaps most concerning is that Doomsday Clock is switching to a bi-monthly schedule, meaning it won't conclude until summer 2019, meaning all the books will have to start telling filler arcs until they catch up to where it is since the event takes place a year in DC's future.
I hate that "bimonthly" can mean twice a month or every other month, and nobody has come up with a better term to specify one of the two. Ditto for "biweekly".
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #989
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
It looks like things really are winding down for the Rebirth phase

-Benjamin Percy is leaving Green Arrow
-Trinity will be axed in April
-Superwoman is already cancelled

Trinity... yeah, that title sucked. I tried the first couple of issues, and it was very pretty art with hardly any story. I tried checking back in for the Trinity of Trinities story arc (Red Hood and the Outlaws crossover!) and it still sucked.

One of those times where you've got a great title and characters, but nobody has any decent stories to tell...
Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #990
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Trinity... yeah, that title sucked. I tried the first couple of issues, and it was very pretty art with hardly any story. I tried checking back in for the Trinity of Trinities story arc (Red Hood and the Outlaws crossover!) and it still sucked.

One of those times where you've got a great title and characters, but nobody has any decent stories to tell...
Seems like a case of market saturation. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman feature in sooo many monthly titles. At a certain point there's just so much going on in other series that its harder to come up with new, interesting ideas.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #991
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Seems like a case of market saturation. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman feature in sooo many monthly titles. At a certain point there's just so much going on in other series that its harder to come up with new, interesting ideas.
It seems like most new story successful titles (in DC) either have an origin conspiracy (Wonder Woman) or a new villain (most Batman and Bat-family titles) or a new team (Red Hood, Detective Comics). Except that the new villain strategy usually only works for individual titles, not bigger titles like Justice League or whatever.

And these are the main strategies because DC isn't relying on a bunch of new characters like Marvel has been (Lady Thor, et al)... so you have to try to find new stories to tell for characters who've been around for SEVENTY years or more.

I dunno, I can only speak to what I've myself read... but Trinity didn't do ANY of those three strategies. What was the point?
Old 02-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #992
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was not sure if it needed its own thread to ask as it is an Elseworlds mini, what are your thoughts on Batman: White Knight? Also, I just read that Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon were in, being my two favorites, what role do they have?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #993
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I was not sure if it needed its own thread to ask as it is an Elseworlds mini, what are your thoughts on Batman: White Knight? Also, I just read that Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon were in, being my two favorites, what role do they have?
It's an amazing series. Feels very Nolan but also very TAS. I love it.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #994
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It's an amazing series. Feels very Nolan but also very TAS. I love it.
I started looking into it and it had Batman:TAS elements to it and it included my two favorite characters, Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon. What do they do in this series? Typically that are no involved in Elseworlds. In Justice League: The Nail they are dead and Thrillkiller I do not know if you can really say that they are Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon respectably. The only thing is it looked like Batman was acting like Frank Miller was writing him (aside form Year One).
Old 03-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #995
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Didn't feel like it warranted it's own thread and this seems kind of like it's become a general purpose DC thread, so I might as well bring it up here.

DC's letting Neil Gaiman spearhead a bit of an imprint based around Sandman with writers he's handpicked, sort of like how Gerard Way got his own imprint with titled written by him and ones he supervised.

https://uproxx.com/entertainment/nei...dman-universe/
Old 04-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #997
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Grant Morrison is taking over Green Lantern

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04...c-fresh-start/
This is interesting. Green Lantern, Hal Jordan specifically is one character Grant has not worked with so I am curious what he can do. I wonder if we will see Oa return under Grant. The current writer is okay, but nothing special. The lack of an ending to the battle with Zod after dragging it out for five issues left a sour taste.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #998
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Couple of other rumored shake-ups

David F Walker writing a new Flash title

Kelly Sue DeConnick could be taking over Aquaman

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04...ck-aquaman-dc/

Brian Azzarello on Suicide Squad

Old 04-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #999
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I have read rumors today that Dick Grayson gets another run as Batman. Perhaps just for an arc while Bruce is on his honeymoon?
Old 04-21-2018, 12:29 AM   #1000
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I have read rumors today that Dick Grayson gets another run as Batman. Perhaps just for an arc while Bruce is on his honeymoon?
That's legit news yeah, it's in the solicitations.

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman