The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
Powder
So tired of this place

Best/Worst Portrayals

Which turtle & secondary character* do you think was best/worst in their overall portrayal? Taking everything into account. Arcs, development, design, voice, the full monty.

*When I say secondary character I don't mean a one-off like The Neutrinos (who most people took issue with). I mean mainstays who had a sizable number of appearances, so choose from this list:

-Splinter
-April
-Casey
-Shredder
-Karai
-Bebop/Rocksteady
-Baxter Stockman

As for the turtles, it's really tough. It's pretty much a tie between Leo & Donnie, but gun to my head, I might have to go with Donnie.

Leo's my favorite turtle, period, & I was very pleased with how he was handled in this series. They hit every single beat that one could want. His depth, bravado, courage, vulnerability, the Splinter relationship, etc. & they added new elements like his greater appreciation of Japanese culture, & a geeky side (of course someone like him would need an escape!) that felt both fresh & fitting. The only thing that let me down was they didn't have a significant bonding with Usagi scene, but it's all gravy. I regret that he had to go through 3 voice changes, as well. I really liked Biggs, wish he'd have been kept on the whole series. Green took a bit of getting used to at first but he grew on me. You could tell he really loved doing it & gave it his all. Donnie has always been my second favorite turtle, so naturally I would have a bias toward him too, but man, he's just thoroughly entertaining in this show. First of all I LOVE his design. The head shape, the gap, his belt buckle, magenta eyes, it's a really cool look. Ciro's aesthetics come across the most on him, I'd say. Rob Paulsen is the man, but I was wary at first of him doing another turtle, figured I wouldn't be able to get past hearing '87 Raph, but no, he killed it. Very charming. I like how they made him quick to anger, & the whole April fixation thing was hilarious/endearing to me. The fact his bo was modified into a naginata was dope, & his fighting style got me hype. He's always been cool in my book, but here I was genuinely excited when he got focus.

As for who was worst, Mikey, hands down. I really liked him at first, but of course, as time went on, they made him dumber/clumsier/etc. He always degrades, ugh. Too much comedy relief, hyperactivity, no self-awareness. They tried to redeem him a few times (& those bits were killer) but they'd always go right back to the idiocy. Cipes did a great job though. I certainly don't dislike Michelangelo, he's just the weaker link for me. This is a problem with almost every non-Mirage interpretation of the character (for anyone not in the know, there, he is just warm-hearted, in touch with everyone's feelings, he likes to care for his cat, babysit Shadow, write love stories, he's a peaceful little soul). I know some people give Raph flack for getting less attention or being hung up on his fears, but I liked this Raphael more than most of his predecessors. Way less of a one-note character. & Astin was just SO good.

Best secondary character? Splinter, without a moments hesitation. Wow. Hoon Lee is god-tier in the booth. Easily the best performances of the entire cast. Just so powerful. Splinter here is more athletic, rat-like, & fatherly than ever before. Nailed it. I'd gush more but I'm growing tired of writing this post.

Worst secondary character? Not sure, really. None of them stick out as being the #1 worst, because I really enjoy them all, & several of them are equally flawed. Casey doesn't take things seriously enough & is selectively stupid, April's a bit of a mary-sue with magic powers, & Karai has the Shredder's daughter dynamic/unnecessary mutation. Their personalities/designs/voices were otherwise great, I don't really have much in the way of complaints beyond those key issues.

What say you?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

In my Opinion:

Best Turtle: Tie between Leo and Raph

Best Secondary Character: Splinter

Worst Turtle: Michelangelo

Worst Secondary Character: Casey
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

This should be broken up by seasons, because some characters started off great and then decayed due to flanderization.

I loved Nick Mikey during Seasons 1-2. It was somewhere around Season 3 onward they started making him too dumb, but he was great for the first two seasons.

Nick's Casey was also pretty good in Season 2. Having just rewatched it I forgot how much I liked Nick's Casey at first. He was still alright for most of Season 3, but started decaying toward the finale into Season 2.

Leo and Raph personality wise were handled well. Nick's Donnie was also good outside of the more annoying crushing on April moments.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
In my Opinion:

Best Turtle: Tie between Leo and Raph

Worst Turtle: Michelangelo

Worst Secondary Character: Casey
This would be my list too.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Kit31
Foot Soldier

Best Turtle - hands down Leo. He was just amazing in this series. Leo has always been my favorite, but Nick Leo just brought a lot more to the table. He's adorable, compassionate, a strong leader, geeky, and the list goes on. I didn't mind any of the voices for him, but Seth grew to be my favorite one of the three.

Best secondary character is DEFINITELY Splinter. I loved his wit, wisdom, and cheeky moments. He's by far the best Splinter in any incarnation out there. Hoon Lee did an amazing job with him.

Worst Turtle is Mikey. Ugh, I wanted to like him, but he was so inconsistent in this show. This has been a problem for me since the beginning. When he shined, he shined, but the moments were few and far between. Cipes is wonderful for his character, though. Just wish they didn't dumb Mikey down so much.

Worst secondary character...hmmm...that's a tough one. I liked most of the characters pretty well. Some had to grow on me first. Even Casey grew on me, but he did have some ill-timed outbursts that drove me nuts.
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Best Turtle Raph or Donnie( Never cared for Don till Rob Paulsen voiced him)

Best Secondary Character Hoon Lee Splinter. He is my all time favorite Version of him.

Worst Turtle Sorry Cipes but Mikey. it was Beast Boy as Mikey and made him a bit retarded

Worst Secondary Character. Casey Jones he was just annoying nothing compares to 90's movie Casey
Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 AM   #7
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Hoon Lee is god-tier in the booth. Easily the best performances of the entire cast. Just so powerful.
Absolutely.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:47 AM   #8
JH24
Hench Mutant

Best Turtle:

Season 1-3 : Tie between Leo and Donnie
Season 4-5 : Tie between Leo and Mikey

Least favorite turtle: Raphael (I like him though)

Least favorite secondary Character: Casey (Nothing against Casey, but there was so much missed potential)

Last edited by JH24; 10-17-2017 at 04:56 AM.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Best Turtle: Leo

Best Secondary Character : Splinter easily, but even though he isn't in your list, I did enjoy me some Leatherhead

Worst Turtle: Mikey

Worst Secondary: Casey Jones
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
Vicky82
Emperor

Best Turtle
They were all awesome.

Worst Turtle
They all had there faults, for example - Mikey and Raph didn't have great season 3, Leo kept on going solo, Donnie's obsession and fighting Casey over April.

Best Secondary - Splinter
Worst Secondary - Casey

Last edited by Vicky82; 10-17-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
newfan
Mad Scientist

Best turtle for me is Leo, character and design. (though I think Sean Astin is my fav turtle voice actor)

I'm not picking a worst turtle, they're all different and each have qualities as well as faults.

Worse secondary, stuck between Casey and Beebop.

Last edited by newfan; 10-17-2017 at 10:12 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

I’ll have to mirror the others and say Leo was the best turtle. He still isn’t my favorite version but I admire what they added to his character, adding more to him than just “he’s the leader.”

Worst Turtle is Mikey and Mikey has always been my favorite. I feel this series really did him a disservice. They did have moments where they seemed to really pinpoint the emotional and ninja skilled side of him but they never lasted. It’s a real shame too because there really was potential! Greg Cipes did do excellent voicing him.

Secondary Best I’ll have to say to go off the list and say Leatherhead. They really tapped into some different ideas with him and I do love how he and Miley interact.

Secondary Worst...I’m sure I’ll get crap for this but I have to say Splinter. Nothing against the acting as Hoon Lee did amazing but I can’t stand how they did this Splinter’s personallity. I know a lot of people talk about how much more fatherly he is but I just don’t see it. I see favoritism for one and lots of it. Sometimes he comes across as downright abusive. His good moments, like Mikey’s, are legitimately good but overall, I didn’t feel the fatherly affection with this Splinter

Just my interpretation
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post

Secondary Worst...I’m sure I’ll get crap for this but I have to say Splinter. Nothing against the acting as Hoon Lee did amazing but I can’t stand how they did this Splinter’s personallity. I know a lot of people talk about how much more fatherly he is but I just don’t see it. I see favoritism for one and lots of it. Sometimes he comes across as downright abusive. His good moments, like Mikey’s, are legitimately good but overall, I didn’t feel the fatherly affection with this Splinter
I'm surprised, Splinter showed how much he cared for his sons in tons of episodes. It's basically the most realistic father portrayal of him we ever had.

You really couldn't stand Splinter? Nothing he did was abuse, it's called training and discipline.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

I understand the need for discipline when training (and even then, there’s no need to be overly cruel about it) but the way he addressed the turtles outside training even...it just seemed needless cold at times. I’m not saying he didn’t have good moments because he did. However, overall, he didn’t come across as warm or fatherly to me. I especially think he put way too much pressure on Leonardo and some of his advice he gave while good in a battle situation would psychologically damaging outside of it. I know the turtles are supposed to be fighters but they’re also teenagers.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #15
Powder
So tired of this place

Absolute nonsense. The only Splinter that meets your description is the Platinum Dunes one (at least in the first movie, anyway).

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #16
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post

Just my interpretation
Bullcrap Nick Splinter wasn't abusive that would be the Platinum Dunes Splinter from the first movie who basically beat the crap out of his sons for going above ground with his tail. Nick Splinter cared for his sons and sometimes was a hard teacher but he was never abusive to them.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Speaking of other characters, I still don't really care for Nick's Hun. I don't mind the reinvention of characters, but he was basically just Bruce Lee. He was a minor villain in this show so it didn't matter much, but I much prefer the big blonde brute and IDW has used him really well after the 2k3 series.

He's probably the only older character reinvented that I don't care for. They did an excellent job adapting other past characters to this series like Bishop and so forth, so it shows you can do new things with old characters and it can still work.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #18
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Due to the size, I put my thoughts in spoilers.

Spoiler:
Best Turtle- Raphael and Leonardo

Raph will always be my favorite Turtle. He had my favorite Turtle design and Sean Astin, alongside Nolan North, is who I think when I hear Raph's voice. I just wish Raph had gotten some better episodes and treatment following season 2.

Leo is my second choice because I loved the nerd aspect to his character. With the exception of Seth Green (although he improved), both Jason Biggs and Dominic Catrambone were good voices as well. The show ultimately made me like Leo a lot more than normal, as he is usually my second least favorite in some incarnations.

Worst Turtle- Michelangelo

All thoughts that have been stated thus far I'm in agreement with. Mikey was too sporadic with how he was handled.

Best Supporting Character- Splinter

Again, not much more I need to elaborate on. Hoon Lee was one of, if not the best voice actor in the entire series. Easily my favorite Splinter portrayal outside the comics along with Kevin Clash.

Worst Supporting Character- April O'Neil/Bishop

It was difficult for me to decide on who was worse: Casey Jones or April. Ultimately, Casey had an episode I found quite underrated with Casey Jones vs the Underworld and a slick design. His character was grating after his first few episodes, yes, as well as having untapped potential. For my money, however, April was far worse.

When compared to Casey and most of the main Nick designs, April's I personally find a bit bland. The kunoichi outfit she has from season 4 onwards is slick, but otherwise, there just wasn't anything I liked visually for her. Of the main cast, it's the weakest design, at least to me.

What makes April the worst to me is that she had a lot of promise. The training with Splinter, the dynamic with Donatello, hell, even her powers before they turned her into a plot resolver/super-powered. However, as was the case for several characters, April's potential was never fully realized. Her ninja training felt tacked on once we reached City at War, where minimal was done. The "Apritello" stuff... not going to touch on it, just wasn't for me. Lastly, the powers lacked limitation and explanation; I've seen users able to make stronger stories with April's Kraang connections better than what we saw. It frustrated me to no end, especially when the powers became a deus ex machina.

Bishop I also included because I wish he could've done more. Personal bias as Bishop, next to Baxter, is my favorite TMNT villain. That, and I felt using the Norman bot for his design with sunglasses was too lazy. While a clever tie-in to his Kraang connection, I was just disappointed.

Best Villain- Rat King

Holy hell, how is this guy so evil but badass?

I loved the hell out of Shredder in this series, but of all the reinterpretations villain-wise, none were as well done as Rat King. His design, while much different, I kinda liked. It's hard for me to explain, I just think it looks neat. With his episodes, however, bloody hell. Any time the Rat King appeared in the series, the episode was guaranteed to be much more serious. Whether that be due to the writing or his voice actor, Jeffery Combs, is up to opinion. For my money though, all three episodes (four, if you count Monkey Brains) featuring him were incredible and among the best of their respective seasons.

Worst Villain- A tie between Baxter Stockman and Lord Dregg

I've ranted in the past on my frustrations with both of these two, so I'll keep it brief.

Baxter's design and character, pre-fly at least, were fine. By the time season 2 occurred, he just became a background character and didn't do much despite having a little over 20 appearances over the 124 episodes. I honestly think the mutation into the fly form made him weaker instead of enhancing Baxter. Personally, I also didn't like the fly form either, I found the big head to be way too goofy despite the homage to The Fly. In short, this was one of the weaker adaptations of Baxter, but not the worst.

Dregg's design I liked, especially because I love the hell out of purple. Despite that, Dregg's character I just found bland. His motive was lacking and Peter Stormare was not one of my favorite performances in the series. At least in FW, Dregg was somewhat threatening and Tony Jay is always a treat. Here, I just couldn't take Dregg seriously, especially in comparison to Shredder or even the Triceratons.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Baxter had quite a lot of roles after becoming a fly, I think they used him quite well. He wasn't quite the Baxter looking to betray Shredder at any cost like the original cartoon one, and I liked how he created the Shredder clones, fought alongside Tiger Claw, made his own insect mutants, and worked on the mutagen serums. He also appeared in a lot more episodes than I remembered originally as a fly.

Bishop is probably my favorite use of a character, making him part of the Utrom council was great and it kept true to his character due to his ninja moves, design, still leading the EPF, and working alongside the Turtles. While he did lose the shades of gray that 2k3 Bishop had due to experimenting on humans, it was nice to see a Bishop that started off as an ally. And I loved his design being the Kraang droids, it made sense in the lore too because all the human designs like Irma and Ms. Cambell that the Kraang stole were based on the Utrom council designs.

Lord Dregg was a nice secondary antagonist after the Triceratons in the space arc, and although "The evil of Dregg" when they went to his homeworld might very well be the worst ep of the space arc (and what the hell was with that robot head he had in that one episode that was never explained?), I loved him in all his other episodes. His role in "The Cosmic Ocean" was my favorite appearance of his especially since he teamed up with Armaggon. Having an insectoid bug army is a great sci-fi trope to use and he was handled well. Although yeah, his voice lacked what Tony Jay made so great about him in the original cartoon.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #20
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

So can anyone have an opinion without Cubed coming behind them to inform them why their "opinion" is wrong?