The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 09-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Utah Nurse Arrested for Refusing to Give Patient’s Blood to Police

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...police-n798021

Quote:
The Utah nurse whose arrest for refusing to draw blood from an unconscious patient drew nationwide criticism said Friday that what hurt most wasn't being manhandled by a detective — it was that none of the other officers watching the struggle tried to intervene.

"I was being bullied and nobody was willing to speak up for me," Alex Wubbels told NBC News. "That is one of the main points of this whole issue."

Wubbels, a University of Utah Hospital nurse and a former Olympic athlete, said Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski "did reach out to me with a personal apology. I accepted that apology."

Biskupski also tweeted an apology on her behalf and that of the police chief

But neither Detective Jeff Payne, the officer who arrested her, nor his supervisor have apologized for what Wubbels called the "disgrace they put upon themselves."

She was not charged with a crime. Asked whether she believes Payne should be disciplined, the nurse said "that's not for me to make that choice."

"I do think a lot of police act appropriately and are out there to help us," she said.

The city announced Friday that the Unified Police Department is conducting an independent investigation into whether any criminal acts occurred. Payne has been placed on paid administrative leave, officials said. The city's mayor called the incident "unacceptable."

"This is an ever evolving situation, and we will do what is necessary to fully investigate the issue, uphold the integrity of the Salt Lake City Police Department, and strengthen the trust with our community," Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown said in a statement.

Payne has not responded to requests for comment.

A police spokesperson said they were alarmed by what happened and that the department is working closely with the hospital to ensure this never happens again.

The unfortunate encounter happened on July 26.

Related: SCOTUS Skeptical of Criminal Penalty for Refusing Drunk Driving Test

The 19 minutes of police bodycam footage made public showed Payne insisting that Wubbels draw the blood. He appears to grow increasingly impatient as the nurse cites hospital protocol as her reason for refusing his order.

While other officers watched, Wubbels explained to Payne that, if he wanted the blood, he needed either an electronic warrant, patient consent, or declare an intent to arrest the patient.

But Payne, the nurse said, wasn't having it.

"He was on a mission," Wubbels said of Payne. "I just knew that I was in the right."

In the videos, which may have been edited, Wubbels held her ground about drawing blood. Payne then suddenly snapped.

"No, we're done," he said. "You're under arrest, we're going!"

He was then seen yanking her arms behind her and cuffing her wrists before hauling her to the back of the patrol car.

"Please sir, you're hurting me," Wubbels said.

"Then walk," Payne responded.

Wubbels, from inside the car, screamed for help and that "I did nothing wrong!" She was later let go.

On Thursday, an emotional Wubbels said law enforcement needs better training about when they can draw blood from patients for investigations. "At the very least, there needs to be some significant discussion about what their duties are to society," she said.

Wubbels, a nurse at the hospital since 2009 who competed as an Alpine skier at the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics, said feels betrayed and angry.

"And I am still confused," said Wubbels as she wiped away tears. "I'm a health care worker. The only job I have is to keep my patients safe."

What happened, she said, "was not peaceful. This was not even civil."

The incident was condemned as "outrageous" by National Nurses United, the country's largest nursing union.

"As the videos and news accounts make clear, there is no excuse for this assault, or her arrest, which sends a chilling message about the safety of nurses and the rights of patients," said Jean Ross, the group's co-president.

The patient at the center of the drama was a truck driver who was injured when his vehicle collided with that of another driver who was fleeing police, reported NBC affiliate KSL-TV.

The truck driver was badly burned and comatose and police were seeking his blood to determine whether he had illicit substances in his system at the time of the crash, according to a written report obtained by The Salt Lake Tribune.

His name has not been released.
Geez, I feel that this was really uncalled for. As someone who was in working in the medical field for a little while as a nurse's assistant in high school I can relate to nurse Wubbles tough situation. I feel bad she was man handled like that just for upholding hospital policy. From what the video shows on the website she explained pretty reasonably what the agreement the hospital had with the police on how procedures of this nature are to be conducted. I can't help but feel kind of angry at the way the police treated her.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:53 AM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The American Police are scary.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yes, some police officers definitely abuse their job and take advantage of others. This situation disgusts me too, but I heard on the news that the officer has been suspended and I hope he gets terminated for the offense. Wubbels was very respectful and explained the situation just as she had to. There was no call for what that officer did to her. None at all, and I say this as someone who has two cousins who are cops and who would never do something like that to anybody.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
mrmaczaps
Banned

SOME police let their authority go to their heads. This is not normal despite the medias attempt to say it is... I hate MSM.... their goal is to SELL and make money. War, unrest and all that people fear sells great. Truth however, not so much.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
ToTheNines
[sic]

Good on her for knowing what was right and standing her ground. I'm sure the authoritarians out there would like to argue that this guy might have been a bad hombre the cops needed to get off the street, but there's no defending this one.

The man in her care was victim of a high speed chase that was against regulation. The perp (now dead) crashed into this totally innocent truck driver and the cops were praying that he had SOMETHING in his system to cover their asses. Pretty unscrupulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
SOME police let their authority go to their heads. This is not normal despite the medias attempt to say it is... I hate MSM.... their goal is to SELL and make money. War, unrest and all that people fear sells great. Truth however, not so much.
You make a great point. There are far more good cops out there than thugs like these. No reason to turn on our law enforcement officers just because the news likes to showcase the worst among them.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
snake
Disgusting

Is the Technodrome Forums being......RATIONAL? I can't believe it.

Quick, Plastron! Say something!
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Her last name is Wubbels.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You make a great point. There are far more good cops out there than thugs like these. No reason to turn on our law enforcement officers just because the news likes to showcase the worst among them.
Real talk. These are the minority. People love to preach about prejudices & stereotypes, not letting a few bad apples ruin the bunch, but they don't apply that same thought to our boys in blue. In my teenage years, back in NY, I was a real degenerate little son of a bitch. My friends & I had maaad run-ins with cops, but it always went well. Two separate cops on two separate occasions made slightly rude comments, but it was nothing in the big picture. Overall, they almost always were polite & cut us breaks. & we were a racially mixed crowd of various age-ranges from different walks of life committing a wide range of crimes.

Generally speaking, if you are polite & go along with standard procedure, it should go just fine. Of course, sometimes, people who have no place on the force get a badge, but there's way more good than bad.

That said, this particular cop is a real asshole, & should be punished through the proper channels.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Did we just agree on something?!? Hell just froze over....

Thanks. I do occassionally.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Definitely agree with Maczaps and Nines here. The media often says that law enforcement is bad when it is only a select few who abuse their position while others are out there doing their job and helping and protecting the streets. I have a very healthy respect for cops because two of my cousins are cops and are probably the greatest guys any of you will know.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That said, this particular cop is a real asshole, & should be punished through the proper channels.
All of the cops in the videos should be disciplined. They just stood there and let this maniac handcuff a woman that was doing her job, it's criminal abuse of power where they where trying to do a cover-up to weasel out of the responsibility for the crash caused by the instigated high speed pursuit that was agains department policy.

Had it not been for the viral bodycam footage this would have been hushed down.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yep, thank goodness for bodycam footage.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
All of the cops in the videos should be disciplined. They just stood there and let this maniac handcuff a woman that was doing her job, it's criminal abuse of power where they where trying to do a cover-up to weasel out of the responsibility for the crash caused by the instigated high speed pursuit that was agains department policy.

Had it not been for the viral bodycam footage this would have been hushed down.
Yes and no. The arresting officer was wrong here. No disagreement there. From my limited understanding, not being a cop but having some aquaintances that are, they don't in public step up and correct each other by their training. Had it been just 2 or 3 cops, yeah say something and calm crazy down. Hopefully the "onlookers" said lt crazy was off his rock once at the station rather than backing him. Hey're supposed to be unified in the field...
Old 09-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #14
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The saying "A few bad apples ruins the bunch" takes into consideration that it's a minority of the group making the whole group look bad, so there's no need for the redundant #notallcops.

We know it's not all cops.

The officers who just stood on by and did nothing, in order to present unity i the field, are accessories to his behavior. Kappa's right, they should be disciplined.

They won't be, but they should be.
And this Bad Cop shouldn't have a badge, but I'm willing to bet he'll be disciplined and get to keep his job. After being suspended with pay.

People who can't do the job, shouldn't be allowed to do the job.
This guy is crap at his job, and I hope the nurse sues his pants off.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #15
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

While I do think most cops are fair and polite I do think its kinda screwed up how the good ones don't call out the bad apples, like @Plastroncafe said the fact that the other officers did nothing while the cop was manhandling the nurse says a lot about the police force.

Last edited by PApagreg; 09-03-2017 at 10:48 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:46 PM   #16
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Yeah, yeah, but...her last name is WUBBELSSSSSSSSSS.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #17
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
While I do think most cops are fair and polite I do think its kinda screwed up how the good ones don't call out the bad apples, like @Plastroncafe said the fact that the other officers did nothing while the cop was manhandling the nurse says a lot about the police force.
That's been the story for decades. The "blue wall". Basically Omerta for people with badges.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:41 PM   #18
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

A lot of rational, logical posts in this thread.
Nice.
I like this change of pace.

As for the topic at hand, it's a shame that the nurse was treated that way. She was just doing her job. That officer needs to get suspended or something for that kind of abuse of power.

I agree with you guys that not all cops are like that. I've interacted with some really nice police officers throughout the years who were kind and that genuinely wanted to help people. It's those other jerks that let their authority get to their heads that are the issue. I'm sure there are more good officers out there than bad ones, but with the media and social networks only reporting on the bad stuff, it's made things seem a lot worse than they are.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:15 AM   #19
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The media, social or otherwise, aren't to blame for this guy taking the law into his own hands. He's to blame for it.
Him and anyone who put him in a position to have any authority to abuse in the first place.

Blaming the media for this is like saying the only thing he did wrong was get caught.

There's no argument that the vast majority of police officers wouldn't try to illegally steal a person's blood, but the fact remains that this one did. And his fellow officers didn't try to stop him.

I have police in my family, and trust me, I know what it's like to be on the wrong side of that Thin Blue Line.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:37 AM   #20
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The media, social or otherwise, aren't to blame for this guy taking the law into his own hands. He's to blame for it.
Him and anyone who put him in a position to have any authority to abuse in the first place.

Blaming the media for this is like saying the only thing he did wrong was get caught.

I probably didn't word my post right. I wasn't suggesting that. Of course the media isn't to blame for what he did. He's solely responsible for his wrong actions. The only others that would be at fault are, like you said, those that were negligent in choosing to put him in his position of (relative) power.

What I meant with the media thing was in response to earlier posts in regards to a lot of people seemg police officers as people who constantly abuse their power. It's a very wrong opinion to have, as most officers aren't like that. Butdue to the various media outlets reporting only this kind of stuff and shining a bad light on officers for the sake of generating buzz or whatever, it's an opinion that likely isn't going to any time soon.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote