The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #21
Yorae
Hench Mutant

Here are my two cents:

In terms of the quality of episode episodes:

The episodes maintained high quality so far and throughout. I find myself rewatching most of the episodes from time to time. For me the weakest links are "I think his name is Baxter Stockman" and "Mousers Attack". Both episodes are still enjoyable though.

In terms of the Turtles personalities

I enjoy the spin on the Turtles' personalities, especially Leo who I think is more relatable and likable now. I love how all of them act younger than the previous incarnations. Really brings out the "Teenagers" aspect of the show.

My only quip is that I feel Raph is being pushed a bit into the background in this series. We have Leo who is a leader in the making and a sci fi fanboy, Mikey who is a total adorbs and the type of comedic relief character kids fall in love with, and Donnie with his hopeless crush on April and his snappy personality. Then we have Raph with a watered down temper and a pet turtle. I feel that his role most of the time is to diss his bros or make wise-cracks. Then again, we are only 12 episodes into the series, so it is very possible we'll get more Raph centric episodes that bring him more to the foreground.

In terms of adaptions of previous established characters and villains:

I like teenage April. I think the writers did a great job in integrating her into the Hamato family. I wish we would get more screen time of her training though and more screen time of her everyday life (school, friends etc)

I also like this version of Shredder, but I wish they would toughen him up a bit more. Till now all he's done is throw threats at Bradford and Xever without actually going through with any of them. The only time when he felt threatening is when he fought the Turtles. But again, we are only halfway through the season so I'm guessing its still early to give a final verdict.

I am not warming up to this Baxter Stockman though. His debut was weak in my opinion, almost goofy. In "Mousers Attack" he kinda sorta redeemed himself but I am still waiting for more episodes with his to see the full aspects of his character.

In terms of new characters created for this show:

I think Bradford and Xever are great new characters. I hoped they would have stayed human for longer, especially Xever. I really like the fact that they are actually considerable foes and put up though fights with the Turtles to the point that the Turtles have to think twice if they are going up against either one.

In terms of humor

The jokes are consistently funny. I think the humor is upped from the 2k3 series considerably. The one liners are edgey and the delivery of the jokes make me crack a laugh even when I'm rewatching the episodes.

In terms of animation and action sequences

Amazing action scenes. Amazing, amazing, amazing. I can't think of a single action sequence that I didn't gawk at. Examples are "New Friend, Old Enemy", "Never Say Xever", "Panic in the Sewers", "The Gauntlet" and more! The coreography of the camera angles are superb in these particular fights.

Music/ Sound Effects

The battle music is amazing and sends my adrenaline rushing every single time. I especially like the variation of the opening sequence (I think it played in "The Gauntlet" during the fight with Chris and Xever).

Also, there is one particular sound effect that I just love. It seriously sends chills down my back every time I hear it. In "The Gauntlet" during the fight with Chris and Xever, there's a scene where Mikey is cornering Chris and then the camera zooms out to show Leo charging in with his swords unsheathed horizontally. The swords make this sort of echo-y sound as he charges. Man, that moment to me is eternal!

So in short, the first 12 episodes were a blast! Can wait for the rest
Yorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Teenage April has definitely worked a lot better than I imagined it would. It makes sense given how young the Turtles appear in this version.

Seeing an "adult" April in this show just wouldn't work, having her grow up alongside the Turtles was a fantastic idea.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorae View Post
My only quip is that I feel Raph is being pushed a bit into the background in this series. We have Leo who is a leader in the making and a sci fi fanboy, Mikey who is a total adorbs and the type of comedic relief character kids fall in love with, and Donnie with his hopeless crush on April and his snappy personality. Then we have Raph with a watered down temper and a pet turtle. I feel that his role most of the time is to diss his bros or make wise-cracks. Then again, we are only 12 episodes into the series, so it is very possible we'll get more Raph centric episodes that bring him more to the foreground.
I hadn't really noticed, but yeah you're right. Maybe the creative team feels like Raph's had his time to shine? He's pretty much been the star of all 4 theatrical movies, as well as the TMNTA comic books.

He is a really fun character, at least.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Raphael gets a lot of screen time I other incarnations. Even IDW started off with him being lost and the star of the first 4 issues.

If Spike becomes Slash it would be a way for him to get more screen time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #25
Moonlight1102
Hench Mutant

So far I've caught up to episode 10 (no spoilers please), and I'm loving the heck out of it. I can't believe it took me so long to catch up.

This version of the Shredder may be my favorite of them all. He's ruthless, brutal, and just flatout evil.

Tags
2k12, nick