The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #21
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

I was 14 so... yes?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #22
Warboss74
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Foxboxkid,I have only seen 2 shows in full chronological order Spider-Man(1994) and Ninja Turtles(2003). It helps one better appreciate and improve perspective.At the same time it can exhaust one on it for a while for the obivious reason. Its probably the best of the three shows to watch that way because of the heavy continuity based storyline. Episodes #15-#34 have to be watched in order for example. It shows the weaker ones more and brings anticipation for others at the same time. It took me for the 2003 cartoon bindge 10 weeks to get through 157 episodes.

Warboss74, I thought the 74 meant birth year. We are about the same age then.I had a lot going on as well but if I was doing something with friends or school related I would preset the VCR. That is all you had to do. The one time I missed it and streaming was still two to three years away,Dan Berger was kind enough to attach the transcript of the episode "Dragon's Rising" where Casey visits his dad's resting place at the end.
Like I said, I didn't know it was airing at the time. I had already moved on from cartoons on network television by that time.

Yeah, the 74 isn't my birth year, but my college jersey number.
Warboss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #23
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

Ok to settle this

Turtlepedia says the target demographic for the 4kids tmnt series was 13 years of age and up.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
Turtlepedia says the target demographic for the 4kids tmnt series was 13 years of age and up.
It was kids. All cartoons aimed at boys go from the 6-11 age bracket first and foremost. That being said the storylines were certainly aimed at teenage fans as well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

I was 12-13 at the time, so I guess I still was part of the target audience of the show.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #26
CowabungaMikey
Stone Warrior

I think so, in 2003 I was 4 and in 2009 I was 10. But back then I didn't really like TMNT.

Cowabunga says it all!
CowabungaMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 AM   #27
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The 4kids series began in 2003, which is now a whopping 11 years ago. Take your current age and subtract 11 years, and that's how young you were when this show was airing.

I was 17 when the 4kids series began and as someone who grew up with the original cartoon I felt like this show was aimed at both kids and older fans at the same time. As a 17 year old back in 2003 it felt like "the turtles had grown up with me," and we getting a TMNT cartoon similar to that of Batman: TAS and those older cartoons that seemed to be aimed at both kids and adults. I felt it came out at the right time because I was in my last years of High School and it felt like a show I could watch as I was older.
I can not believe I'm saying this...
But I'm with CC here...

I picked up all 4 Turtles and Shredder at the Walgreens next door to the movie theater I was working at. I was also, probably about 17/18ish in my final year of school (I graduated in 2003). I distinctively remember buying those toys and some of the trading cards from the store... and some Pokemon cards too. That Walgreens no longer sells any trading cards. I now live in the area again, so I popped back over just to see if they had the Nick toys at all.
I do wish I could have bought more toys, but it was a Walgreens so it was limited in what it got, it seemed. I dont remember seeing the other figures aside from the series 1.

As for the question, I do feel the show was made with the intention to cater to the young audience and attract an existing fanbase as well... a smart move. I haven't seen much of it though, still, to this day.

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #28
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

I was 6 years old when the show first aired, so yes I believe.

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm really surprised some of you were so young. You guys missed the entire original 80's and 90's fad of the franchise.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #30
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

I was in my early 20's, so no. I remember watching the first episode, I knew nothing of the show other than what PL had revealed in the letters page of Mirage vol.4 and was pretty hungover, but when I saw how close it hewed to the original comics, I was hooked. I'd set my VCR (yeah, we still used those back then) to record it every Sunday morning
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #31
k_lala
Hench Mutant

So what age group was the official target audience. I mean this show had a large ADULT following.
k_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lala View Post
So what age group was the official target audience. I mean this show had a large ADULT following.
It had a teenage following, but that was only 'cause the kids like me from the OT era grew up and were surprised we got a new TMNT cartoon.

Had the original 80's and 90's fans not existed I doubt any teenagers would have started watching the show out of the blue.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #33
Gabriel GP
Foot Soldier

I was 8 back in 2003, so I would say yes. But the funny thing is that I liked the show back then, but where i live, they replayed the episodes to exhaustion, so I could never saw the whole series on tv, only years later I watched chronologically.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #34
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

I was in the target audience alright, I was a big fan of the show. Course I liked the live action films and the 80s series but I think around this series is when I became obsessed with the series. It felt more adult than the 80s version in my opinion, bit more darker and mature. I liked the twist they did with Shredder and Leo / Karai arc.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 AM   #35
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

I was 5, so yes i was.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #36
tunecedemalis
Random Punk

No, I was 16 and a sophomore in High School. By that time I had totally forgotten about TMNT. I didn't even know the series existed until last year, now it's my favorite version of the turtles.
tunecedemalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #37
Aelia
Hamfisted Bun Vendor

I was around twelve years old when it aired, so yeah, I was definitely within the target demographic. I recall it being my favorite show along with Justice League.
Aelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #38
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

21. Not really
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #39
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Well, I'm 37 now, and in 2003 I was 26, so no. In fact, I was barely aware of it, and my work schedule back then didn't really allow for me to watch Saturday cartoons, anyway. I didn't even really know about the series until FF came out, and when I watched it, I was NOT impressed. I skipped it. And now, looking back, I wish I'd gotten into it then, because taken as a whole, the series was AWESOME!! It's the TMNT I wished the original one could have been, mature, complex, and often emotional. It had great animation (at least until the FF and BttS seasons), and a lot of incredible and memorable episodes.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #40
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

Look through the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lala View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
Here ya go buddy
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4kids