The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #21
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
i like how they aren't just doing the four turtles as.. the first four figures.

Makes me feel like... they are aiming to be a long term strategy. So.. I hope they they can do all of these.. at a minimum.

Shameless plug for my channel if you wanna hear some of my thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALSHL2BfQkY

Playmates Basic Figures first wave
Leonardo
Shredder
Donatello
Foot Soldier X
Raphael X
Bebop
Michaelangelo
Rocksteady
April O'Neil
Splinter X

Playmates Basic Figures second wave
Ace Duck
Krang
Genghis Frog
Baxter Stockman X
Casey Jones
Leatherhead
Metalhead
Rat King
Usagi Yojimbo
General Traag

Source: http://www.tmnttoys.com/figures1987.html
That’s not right.

The second assortment for the Playmates basic TMNT figure consisted of Krang, Ace Duck, Genghis Frog, and Baxter Stockman only.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #22
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
That’s not right.

The second assortment for the Playmates basic TMNT figure consisted of Krang, Ace Duck, Genghis Frog, and Baxter Stockman only.
If you're going to be anally nitpicky, isn't technically the "second assortment" the 88 hardhead figurer with April and Foot Soldier.

Then again, wasn't there different softhead releases with and without clubflyers
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #23
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
If you're going to be anally nitpicky, isn't technically the "second assortment" the 88 hardhead figurer with April and Foot Soldier.

Then again, wasn't there different softhead releases with and without clubflyers
The hardhead April and Foot Soldier are part of the first wave as are the soft headed turtles that were sold with the fan club forms and without them.

I was going by the back of the cards and the commercials. The second and third waves of the original toy line were released in different parts of 1989.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #24
Sumac
Banned

Those are amazing!
Like Playmates, but better!

Can't wait to see Shredder, Krang and bumbling duo, if they come out.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #25
stcardinal
Foot Soldier

These are so nice. But damn... things are going to get expensive in 2020.
stcardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #26
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Those are amazing!
Like Playmates, but better!

Can't wait to see Shredder, Krang and bumbling duo, if they come out.
The Raphael and Baxter are impressive, but I don’t like the white pant on Splinter’s nose. The paint above Splinter’s nostril was originally gray. The Foot Soldier doesn’t stand out either. The original Foot Soldier was shortpacked in the very late 80s and early 90s.

This ultimate Super 7 Baxter makes me appreciate the original more than any other toy version of Baxter before this point. A lot of testosterone was put into making the first 1989 Baxter Stockman figure. It was a one of a kind original Playmates figure. You can really see the transition from when the turtles were Reagan 80s toys (first wave) to being Bush 90s toys (fourth wave to eighth wave) with that second wave. The simplicity that the ‘88 figures had was still present in the second and third waves, but it was mixed in the extremity that the 90s TMNT toys had. Wave five of the basic assortment (with the disguised turtles) was fascinating for what it was at the time. The wave five figures were the best Bush 90s TMNT toys. That batch of 1990 figures were extreme, but in a somewhat simple way. Past that year in the 90s, the original line was 100 percent a boys toy line.

I can’t wait to see what Super7 does with this line and the ReAction figures. I can see the ReAction figures selling better because their ReAction stuff is sold at Barnes and Noble, FYE, and other mall shops like that.

Last edited by mikey0; 08-17-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #27
Btown
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
What?? I thought these were revealed at SDCC and looked super goofy. I must be confused. They looks great.

Man, I usually go for the more detailed stuff, but there is something very appealing to me about these. Maybe it’s the nostalgia, but I don’t know. I might prefer these to the Neca sculpt.
Those were their reaction line. This will be their ultimates line.

These look incredible and was just what I was hoping they would come with. I can’t wait to see future releases of these. Shredder, Casey, Usagi bring them on.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #28
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown View Post
Those were their reaction line. This will be their ultimates line.

These look incredible and was just what I was hoping they would come with. I can’t wait to see future releases of these. Shredder, Casey, Usagi bring them on.
Usagi, especially.

Usagi Yojimbo was the archetypical original TMNT figure and the start to the samurai costumed figures in the 90s waves.

The first 1989 Casey will most likely be better made then the Ultimate Casey figure.

As for Ultimate Shredder, it would be something if someone compiled all original Shredder related merchandise (ie - first ever action figure, the rare 1990 bumper sticker, Duelin’ Dudes Shredder figure, Sewer Hockey Shredder toy) and put the Ultimate Shredder on the same shelf with it. The 1988 Shredder gave away the obvious connection the original Playmates toy line had with the Mattel Masters of the Universe line.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:34 PM   #29
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

I’m on the fence. They look like improved versions of the originals but I think I would rather just have just the originals for nostalgic purposes. Accessories are a nice upgrade though and have me curious. This will definitely be a pick and choose kind of series for me. I really wish a company would step up and do more figures that have never been released like different artist versions or different universes like Archie.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #30
dragonside
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
That’s not right.

fair enough, I just wanted to speculate what could be next. So basically just the ones I listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

Thanks Candy Kappa, and also good to know.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:10 AM   #31
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
I’m on the fence. They look like improved versions of the originals but I think I would rather just have just the originals for nostalgic purposes. Accessories are a nice upgrade though and have me curious. This will definitely be a pick and choose kind of series for me. I really wish a company would step up and do more figures that have never been released like different artist versions or different universes like Archie.
Should there be a 5 inch Playmates TMNT toy line like the new Mattel MOTU Origins line with different artist versions or characters from the Archie and IDW comic universes?
Old 08-18-2019, 01:05 AM   #32
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

The Head at Super 7 implies $45 will be the price of the figures. so 5 dollars less than the Target 2 packs but more than the Henson figures from gamestop

Old 08-18-2019, 05:39 AM   #33
Chris
Mad Scientist

Didn’t see this posted yet;

Wave 1 - October 2019
Wave 2 - March 2020
Wave 3 - June 2020
Wave 4 - September 2020
Wave 5 - December 2020

Assuming 4 figures per wave that’s 20 figures by the end of next year. Part of me wants to go all in but at $45 each/$180 per wave plus international postage, VAT, etc, might be a bit too much for me on that schedule.

Leo, Mikey, Don, Shredder, Krang (would love to see a massive deluxe version in his android body at some point), Bebop, Rocksteady, April & Casey all seem like obvious locks. That leaves another 7 for the first year. Curious to see if they fill out with heavy hitters like Rat King and Leatherhead or go for some more obscure choices to leave some of the bigger figures for later years (like MOTUC did). Or even do someone like Karai or Ninjara who didn’t get a figure in the original line.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #34
Swaynomics930
Foot Soldier

This looks amazing, the homage to the og playmates is just beautifu. May stop neca and do this line for the cartoon version at least
Swaynomics930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #35
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Wow....that Raph looks amazing

I didn't know these were going to exist and I was wondering what the fuss was about when I saw the reaction figs.

So...how do you buy these? Are they only sold through their site? Do you have to preorder the whole wave?
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #36
mikey0
Foot Elite

I hope their Ultimate Metalhead is better than the NECA figure being released soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
Wow....that Raph looks amazing

I didn't know these were going to exist and I was wondering what the fuss was about when I saw the reaction figs.

So...how do you buy these? Are they only sold through their site? Do you have to preorder the whole wave?
I believe the Ultimate TMNT figures will be sold individually on their site and other online toy stores like Toywiz and Big Bad Toy Store. You should be able to pre-order the whole wave on Big Bad Toy Store like you can do with the Ultimates Thundercats line right now.

The 3 3/4 ReAction figures will be sold in brick and mortar stores as well as online.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #37
useasneeded4pain
Foot Soldier

I dig Baxter and the Foot, but I’m not sure about Splinter or Raph. I’m close to having enough 6-7” Turtles anyway, so this line might be a cherry pick.
useasneeded4pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #38
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by useasneeded4pain View Post
I dig Baxter and the Foot, but I’m not sure about Splinter or Raph. I’m close to having enough 6-7” Turtles anyway, so this line might be a cherry pick.
These 7 inch Ultimate figures do not look like they will disappoint.

Classic Collection Michelangelo was the best 7 inch Turtles figure as of late. The other Classic Collection figures were odd looking.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #39
LeoRaDoMic
Banned

Nah, these don't cut it for me. Why nothing new, the same thing over and over again. I don't understand why a company is making these. The first line wasn't screenaccurate and now the are making basically the same figures which aren't screenaccurate at all but a little bit better then Playmates. Why?!

Neca FTW for me, at all points better and highly screenaccurate. I sold all my vintage TMNT figures to create space and money for the Neca figures. I only want one figure line (only the hard core) based on a show or movie. Diversity is key
LeoRaDoMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #40
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

When Super7 announced TMNT figures, I was hoping for what Playmates could not deliver, proper Classics based of the vintage toyline like MOTUC. And this is it, ish... They are updated figures for the vintage line, but MOTUC gave us more and something at the time; modern. But I don't really know what could be "modern" here, I'm not a toy designer, but something is missing, maybe?

The price is steep, $45 for one figure is a lot, but I also PO'd Club Grayskull Shadow Weaver on BBTS for $49.99 so I guess I'm a part of the problem giving in to the prices. License (thanks playmates) and limited run will dictate the price, and honestly, these will probably be easier to get then the NECA Fred Wolf figures.

The sprue weapon rack is cute in the display stand, but if we're getting that at $45, we better get a second set of proper weapons that are also painted. Cutting out the weapons yourself for that price is ridiculous.

I do love that they fixed Raph's sai to look like real sai and not weird knives like the vintage figure was sporting, but the holsters are unchanged and look too big. Raph must have his sheath for the katar on his back ( can't find any pics of his back). Hopefully they can also fix Leo's swords to be a katana and a wakizashi, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Splinter is pretty rad, super weird seeing the 88 toy design with more articulation, but I love that look. Kinda wish his kimono was soft goods. Pretty neat he comes with multiple arrows and that pre-mutated turtle is the funnies looking turtle yet with it's demonic yellow eyes.

Never been too keen on the robotic mummy Foot Soldier, but this guy does look like the vintage figure with has a better look then the on-screen Foot and hopefully with the better articulation he can stand straight up and do ninja poses. It would be neat if the flail weapon actually had a bendy cord or something.

Baxter is pretty neat, looks just like the vintage figure, down to the fly smacker weapon and I adore the Mouser he comes with, which looks just like the Wacky Action wind-up Mouser. I need a 4-pack of those mousers.

I can't wait to see Shredder, hopefully he'll be fixed a bit so we don't have the goofy caterpillar eyebrows going over his helmet and properly under his helmet And I'm more excited for Rocksteady and Bebop based off the toys over the cartoon versions from NECA, and will April have the original 1988 headsculpt or the superior headsculpt that came with the orange and blue variant. As of now I'm fairly certain I'm in for Classics of the 1988 and 1989 basic figures. I would also love to see accessories based of the Gags, Jokes and Crazy Weapons sets.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote