The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #241
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I guess some people want good acting in these movies. and things to make sense. Which I think is ridiculous. You're not supposed to take movies like this seriously. Its just entertainment.
Only in current decade can we have audiences who think this is OK.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #242
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I enjoyed Salvation. But its unfortunate about all the drama that went on behind the scenes during the making of that movie.

I guess some people want good acting in these movies. and things to make sense. Which I think is ridiculous. You're not supposed to take movies like this seriously. Its just entertainment.
Great, so make Arnie bust out a huge bazooka that rips out of his arm that shoots friggen Ha-Do-Kens as he rides a friggin lion, blowing up Terminators that are armed with ninja swords left and right. The Arnie looks at the camera and says 'Hasta La Vista Baby' and presses a button on his shades and the entire city behind him blows up in a nuclear explosion.

Who cares if it makes sense right? It's just entertainment, right?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:02 PM   #243
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
No. it’s good for fans and those creating the material to take stuff seriously. Sci-fi and the overall fiction genre are full of cool characters and ideas that deserve to be thought of as more than just dumb fun.

The problem is a lot of fans nitpick and jump on anything that does not fit what they want and will choose to be against it “because of reasons”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
No time travel? Anything but time travel? Or at least make it more creative than old rusty T1 scheme?
So the war or anything involving the take over because anything else would need time travel.

Quote:
Yeah, wanting just a good movie with a solid storyline and quality actro performance, which are not second fiddled to the CGI is definitely unreasonable.

If you want a stupid chewing gum, you just can say so. I will understand.

However, claiming that seemingly reused plot is "original" or that people who want good (not great, just good) story have "unrealistic expectations" makes the whole thing look rather silly.
Continually complaining about cgi is just a tired argument. Neither cgi or practical effects, or how much is used over the other, determines how good a movie is.

Anyway you know what I meant and what I’d prefer.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:34 AM   #244
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Nobody cares about the SFX used. We had a 100% CGI T-1000 (at times) in T2 in like 1991... it worked because the story was new and fresh. Terminator protector? This is new. But they've repeated it time and again, and seem set to do so again and even recycle "Pops" (but a different Pops) from literally the last false trilogy starter.

Don't get me wrong. I want to believe the actual finished product will subvert our expectations (and not in a Rian Johnson way) but... the marketing is simply not helping that cause.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:41 AM   #245
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well it’s not that the cgi is a legitimate concern...it’s just a popular goto complaint because ya know it’s cgi.

I mentioned this on another board and got criticized but I’ve made it crystal clear I’m not against cgi...

but the T-1000 was basically just a metallic blob. It obviously looked cool and was well done but that’s why it worked so well back then. Technically it did not need to match up with the rest of the world.

If they tried doing Dark Fate or even Genisys and Salvation back in 90/91 the cgi would have been noticeably out of place. Now though the quality has caught up.

Sure there’s times certain shots could use more polish (in any movie) but it still looks good for most part.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:28 AM   #246
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Continually complaining about cgi is just a tired argument. Neither cgi or practical effects, or how much is used over the other, determines how good a movie is.

Anyway you know what I meant and what I’d prefer.
I don't what you mean and I don't know what do you prefer, because, so far it looks like you'd prefer anything thrown your way.

Also, I am complaining about CGI, because, as the time went, from mere tool, which was supposed to support story, it has become a main attraction, supplanting actor performance and good storytelling. Which is the case for most blockbusters.

I don't care about whether effects CGI or not, I care about story being good and CGI being a tool, not the main attraction.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:26 AM   #247
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I don't what you mean and I don't know what do you prefer, because, so far it looks like you'd prefer anything thrown your way.
Sure you do. I’ve clearly stated it. Even before this.

Quote:
Also, I am complaining about CGI, because, as the time went, from mere tool, which was supposed to support story, it has become a main attraction, supplanting actor performance and good storytelling. Which is the case for most blockbusters.

I don't care about whether effects CGI or not, I care about story being good and CGI being a tool, not the main attraction.
Then you’re just assuming it’s that way.

Whether or not it’s terminator. If a story requires scenes/characters that could not be properly made with practical effects then more use of cgi is required.

I guess you could purposely write a movie around practical effects but just for the sake of not using cgi would be a really dumb reason. No need for unnecessary limitations when modern day cgi exists.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #248
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Whether or not it’s terminator. If a story requires scenes/characters that could not be properly made with practical effects then more use of cgi is required.

I guess you could purposely write a movie around practical effects but just for the sake of not using cgi would be a really dumb reason. No need for unnecessary limitations when modern day cgi exists.
Good job, you have missed my point entirely.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #249
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Well.. yeah - I actually like it when movies try to make some sense. Why else would I want to go see a movie?

I mean, if I were to go see It Chapter Two and Pennywise goes from terrorizing the citizens of Derry to fighting The Killer Clowns From Outer Space, then everyone else within the theater would be just as confused.

*It would make for a fun parody perhaps, but when people pay for a horror movie, then they should get one. A movie that attempts to make some form of sense is worth more of it's $$ than a film that is treated like it is some kind of an amusement ride instead.

Last edited by DarkFell; 08-23-2019 at 09:02 PM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:24 PM   #250
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 08-30-2019, 02:07 AM   #251
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post

The trailer didn't grab me.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #252
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Eh... trailer looks a little better than the other one? Still, it all seems samish. Recycled pieces from 3 and 4.

Also, Cameron talking more about his trilogy plans:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/cameron-...trilogy-plans/
Old 08-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #253
frank_one
Mad Scientist

The trailer looks cool but nothing really new.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #254
newfan
Mad Scientist

Hmm, well, I do like the trailer a little more than the last, I plan to see it. While it has things that have been done I am still interested to see the story which now takes place after T2, be it good or bad. While I don't have high hopes for a sequel as good as T2, can it be worse than those which were less successful? well, we'll see.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #255
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I want to understand the basic lay of the land. "I'm here to protect you!" "The future needs you!" blah blah, that stuff is all old hat.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #256
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I want to understand the basic lay of the land. "I'm here to protect you!" "The future needs you!" blah blah, that stuff is all old hat.
Yeah, they just made it someone else now instead.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #257
Sumac
Banned

That's a much better trailer.
Its still smell of rehash and some crazy action scenes, typical to the modern era, but at least it looks like it will make some semblance of sense. As opposed to Salvation and Genisys.

Also, guy playing new bad Terminator is cool. Not creepy cool as T1000, but still cool in a comic book villain kind of way.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #258
CyberCubed
Overlord

Looks like it'll be a fun action movie at least. A good Terminator movie? Well it might be better than the last 3, but not by much. And I kinda liked Terminator 3.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #259
neatoman
Emperor

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #260
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Apparently the T-800 endoskeletons in the new trailer... are visually the same ones as the ones seen in Genisys. With the angular, pointed chest piece and all.

Tags
adayinsidemillerthemovie, cuckwithmeifyouwanttolive, franchise is terminated, hasta la vista cis men, pappenbrooktriggered, terminator: woke fate, the future is female