The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What should the next movie be?
a continuation of the Original trilogy/ tmnt 2007 7 15.22%
A completely new reboot not connected to anything before it. 39 84.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I like that idea but don't set it 30 years into the future.
That would actually be the only way a sequel to the old movies would be of any interest to me. Same Turtles, same universe... but 30 years later, and they're all 30 years older now. Rated R. Logan-style, their last stand.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #42
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That would actually be the only way a sequel to the old movies would be of any interest to me. Same Turtles, same universe... but 30 years later, and they're all 30 years older now. Rated R. Logan-style, their last stand.
Wouldn't it just suck if the first good TMNT movie was also the one to kill them all off...
Old 08-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #43
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Thats exactly what I had in mind when wanting the original trilogy to continue. This is something thats never been done before although tmnt 2007 is still in that universe,the turtles arent much older and they arent in any sort of last stand.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:12 PM   #44
syk_skillz
Foot Soldier

I want a reboot with mix of Practical and CGI. Body mostly being practical with heads being the heaviest part of the CGI. When comes to tone needs to go back to the original 1990 movie with Splinter & Shredder having reason for their grudge unlike how the Bay movies completely ignored them having a backstory. I'd really enjoy it taking a lot of the inspiration coming from IDW comics.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #45
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Why does every film today have to be Fury Road or Logan in conception? Why not a film everybody can enjoy?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Why does every film today have to be Fury Road or Logan in conception? Why not a film everybody can enjoy?
Because when you try and make everyone happy... _____________.

But this is a very specific example. "If the original trilogy TMNT continued now." If they just made TMNT 4 (or 5, if you prefer) today, set now, pretending TMNT 1-3 just happened a year or two ago... that'd be possible, but at this point only about 5 people are going to care. You set it now and make the Turtles 30 years older and wiser and embittered, that's something new. That's something interesting.

It's not the ideal TMNT movie but I'd definitely support it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-07-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #47
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
for the next Tmnt film, there has to be a full reboot. origin story and all.

there are new fans to Tmnt that need that P.D. Bay-turtles washed from their brains.

and setting up the world from the ground up is the only way to really accomplish that.

as much as i love the 1990, there was too much malarky in parts 2 and 3 that needs to be wiped clean to continue.
i'd hope the story would stick as close to the original Mirage #1 as possible. but i wouldn't even mind a re-telling of the origin story similar to what IDW did, just so long as -

A- it wasn't a butchery of the IDW story like how P.D. mutilated it.

B- there isn't a f%%k load of other Mutants running around.
maybe 1 or 2 mutant villains or a hench-mutant like Hob.
but no Mutanimals!! i love the Mutanimals, but the focus needs to be solely on the Turtle brothers and Splinter.

though we've all seen it before, a new movie series has to be accessible and bring in new fans if it's going to really thrive.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #48
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post

there are new fans to Tmnt that need that P.D. Bay-turtles washed from their brains.

and setting up the world from the ground up is the only way to really accomplish that.

as much as i love the 1990, there was too much malarky in parts 2 and 3 that needs to be wiped clean to continue.
i'd hope the story would stick as close to the original Mirage #1 as possible. but i wouldn't even mind a re-telling of the origin story similar to what IDW did, just so long as -

but no Mutanimals!! i love the Mutanimals, but the focus needs to be solely on the Turtle brothers and Splinter.

though we've all seen it before, a new movie series has to be accessible and bring in new fans if it's going to really thrive.
I'm wondering if a successful Turtles reboot could possibly make a Mutanimals spinoff at some point. A really really long shot but we've heard mumurs of other spinoffs of successful franchises.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
I'm wondering if a successful Turtles reboot could possibly make a Mutanimals spinoff at some point.
Probably. I'm sure the current PTB would love to do that, making a TMNT shared universe with gangs of mutants like an encyclopedia of different animals everywhere. The path to that, though, would take the TMNT movies down a road they probably shouldn't be going down this next time out.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #50
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post

Hell no. No more Origin stories. The ONLY origin needed is five minutes prior to or during the credits. Truck in traffic, kid with small bowl of turtles... crash... canister, turtles and then Splinter in the sewers. Go always a rat mutated or Hamato Yoshi turned rat... either way, don't care there... more sense that its a rat but whatever...

Start things off on the run. Skip the MF'n Shredder. Lets have Baxter. Lets have Utroms. Better idea, make it 25 years after TMNT 3 and have Utroms landing ala volume 4. Aliens are real. Earth freaks out. Michelangelo the Third Kind would make a great movie with some more meat on its bones.... then Raph Bad Blood... lol Donatello the Brain Thief and then do Leo Blind Sight last.... or mash them into at least 2 movies. I don't think anything in those stories would bother the original 3 movies... And nothing in the movies would have to be retconned to really make sense...

Andrew? Lol
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #51
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
I'm wondering if a successful Turtles reboot could possibly make a Mutanimals spinoff at some point. A really really long shot but we've heard mumurs of other spinoffs of successful franchises.
I want the Archie-set of Mutanimals, with Brazil-setting and the old villains.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #52
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Probably. I'm sure the current PTB would love to do that, making a TMNT shared universe with gangs of mutants like an encyclopedia of different animals everywhere. The path to that, though, would take the TMNT movies down a road they probably shouldn't be going down this next time out.
Yeah I'll agree with the last sentence especially, I mean I like the idea of a shared TMNT movie universe sure but I'm a little wary of how it would be handled obviously. Even the successful Marvel universe is starting to bog me down a little bit honestly.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #53
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Even the successful Marvel universe is starting to bog me down a little bit honestly.
The whole shared universe idea in films will eventually phase out by the time we get another movie.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #54
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
But this is a very specific example. "If the original trilogy TMNT continued now." If they just made TMNT 4 (or 5, if you prefer) today, set now, pretending TMNT 1-3 just happened a year or two ago... that'd be possible, but at this point only about 5 people are going to care. You set it now and make the Turtles 30 years older and wiser and embittered, that's something new. That's something interesting.

It's not the ideal TMNT movie but I'd definitely support it.
I can see it working as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
The whole shared universe idea in films will eventually phase out by the time we get another movie.
Lots of studios are currently trying shared universes with mixed results. Marvel will go strong for a couple of years but it won't last much longer. I'm surprised there isn't fatigue right now.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #55
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Lots of studios are currently trying shared universes with mixed results. Marvel will go strong for a couple of years but it won't last much longer. I'm surprised there isn't fatigue right now.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:46 AM   #56
Chris
Mad Scientist

Reboot.

As others have said the only way to really do a sequel to the originals would be to set it 30 years later, Logan style. Whilst potentially a very interesting and a unique take it's a ender, not something that's going to revive a franchise. Direct to DVD or Netflix? That would be a great project. Big budget summer blockbuster aiming to build a franchise? It's not the right story.

Reboot and start fresh. And don't fall into the franchise building trap. Treat each film as the only one you're doing and tell the best story you can. You can build on it with sequels but don't assume you're getting a sequel whilst making this movie and don't waste time setting them up as you may never get to the pay off.

For me the next movie could feature just the Turtles, Splinter, Shredder and the Foot. Save everyone else for possible sequels. Just get that origin and those relationships right and let that drive the story (something PD completely screwed up). I wouldn't have a problem with April and/or Casey being in it as long as they served the story but they don't need to be.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #57
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Start things off on the run. Skip the MF'n Shredder. Lets have Baxter. Lets have Utroms. Better idea, make it 25 years after TMNT 3 and have Utroms landing ala volume 4. Aliens are real. Earth freaks out. Michelangelo the Third Kind would make a great movie with some more meat on its bones.... then Raph Bad Blood... lol Donatello the Brain Thief and then do Leo Blind Sight last.... or mash them into at least 2 movies. I don't think anything in those stories would bother the original 3 movies... And nothing in the movies would have to be retconned to really make sense...
but you realize none of these stories will ever get made into a film though.

i could see the 4kids cartoon attempting some of those stories way back.
but they'd have been so defanged it would have been unrecognizable.

especially Blind Sight.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #58
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I think the best route to go is a new film not beholden to what has come before, but doesn't overwrite previous movies. A simple premise is set up; brief flashback at the beginning with the turtles origin, Turtles already know April, turtles have already defeated shredder and the foot. That's all you need to know, adapt whatever Mirge/Archie/IDW story you want, or create your own, or whatever. You do a mirage #1/return to new York film, a lot of people are going to call you on making a 1990 movie remake/ripoff. And some of us won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Lots of studios are currently trying shared universes with mixed results. Marvel will go strong for a couple of years but it won't last much longer.
Utter nonsense.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #60
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Utter nonsense.
Which part is especially nonsensical to you?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote