The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #61
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I don't have the background info that you do but it seems like this probably played a huge role in a lot of people missing the Scratch wave. I definitely remember being very pleasantly surprised at finding a Splinter at some point in the 90s since I didn't have him. I soon realized, though, that that re-release came with a bunch of other old figures and before too long I wasn't really even looking at the pegs anymore because I associated that card art with old figures.

(I'm kinda guessing here, I don't exactly remember how I felt in ~'93)
TRU had almost one whole aisle (and maybe endcap) of 10th wave figures when they were first released some time in the summer of 1993 (July or August), but the new re-releases (made in 1992, also) and ongoing turtle variant sub-waves like Sewer Heroes and Universal Monsters almost covered up the 10th basic wave on the pegs in late 1993. I’m sure many would argue that TMNT was a better toy line in the 80s before children of the 90s (Millennials) discovered it. The original Playmates toy line took on a new life in the fall of 1990 months after Turtlemania ‘90 that got only worst as the 90s went on.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #62
Ninjinister
無問題

I'm sure someone can back me up with the exact deets, but the reason some of these "rarer" figures aren't and can't be re-released (other than probably some Playmates bigwigs generally being clueless), is because the molds broke.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #63
mikey0
Foot Elite

At the time, I don’t think many young adults and adults knew Scratch, Hot Spot, and Half Court would go for as much as even those figures do today on the secondary market (they figured the figures could go for much higher). For many stores (if not all), it was ‘first come, first serve’ and some figures may have been on reserve from employees at many retailers then. The original TMNT toy line was the first best selling toy of the 1990s, so many young adults and adults in the early to mid 90s figured the children of the 80s and 90s would be just as in awe about them 40 or 50 years later (if not more) as they were in the very early 90s. The 90s action figure market took a lot of people by surprise after the early 90s (when the action figure market was dry). So, some of the people on eBay with aforementioned expensive figures MOC were the teens and adults who took notice of the TMNT craze in 1990 and ran with it well into the 90s.

1992 appears to be the year when basic waves and sub-waves featuring variants of the four turtles and their allies took over the original Playmates toy line, but that was also the best year for sub-waves with variants in it at the same time. Things were still good for Playmates in the beginning of 1993 because of the turtle variant sub-waves, but children quickly lost interest in TMNT after the plot to TMNT 3 was lost on them [due to the lack of Shredder] and bought toys like the 1992 Tiger Electronics TalkBoy instead.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-27-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #64
mikey0
Foot Elite

The author of this article on The Fwoosh sees the 10th basic wave as toys released “at the end” of the original Playmates toy line: http://thefwoosh.com/2019/09/top-ten...rtles-figures/

Here is the quote on Scratch from VeeBee:

“Oh hey, here is the only figure on this list that I did NOT own as kid. If you know a bit of TMNT lore, I am sure you know why, but if you do not, simply put – he was released right at the end of the vintage line, and was very, very rare. He demands INSANE amounts of money on the secondary market now for those who want to complete their vintage collection, but that just means that most collectors have not, and will not, have chance to own that original figure. So, this new Ultimate line would be the perfect place to give everyone a chance to finally own Scratch. Sure, I would not prioritize my favorite characters, or those more essential to the mythos, ahead of him, but finally landing Scratch (Hot Spot, too!) would be a pretty big deal for a lot of fans.”

VeeBee had to have been a casual TMNT toy buyer.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #65
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Here is the quote on Scratch from VeeBee:

“...simply put – he was released right at the end of the vintage line...”
Again this is just some guy's guess as to reality trying to explain away its value using logic and reason, when its value defies logic and reason.

Because he is wrong about this. It was not "right at the end" of the vintage line.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #66
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
Again this is just some guy's guess as to reality trying to explain away its value using logic and reason, when its value defies logic and reason.

Because he is wrong about this. It was not "right at the end" of the vintage line.
I think some of the older TMNT toy buyers from the 80s and very early 90s tend to forget there was a ‘part one’ (1988-early 1990) and ‘part two’ (late 1990-1997) to the original 1988 toy line. The variants and basic assortment figures after the Toon Turtles sub-wave don’t seem to stand out to some adult collectors today, so the original Playmates toy line ended in 1993 for them.

I wonder how much Scratch went for on the secondary market in the late 90s when the 10th wave was gone from stores.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #67
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
I wonder how much Scratch went for on the secondary market in the late 90s when the 10th wave was gone from stores.
I acquired my Scratch at a toy show in the late '90s. I traded MOC Spawns and Starting Lineups for it. I'd say the equivalent trade value at the time was around $125. Those Spawn and Starting Lineup figures now probably equal about $30.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #68
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Instagram user @kenstole is sold out of unpainted Scratch reproductions at the moment, but he said he would make a post when more are available.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #69
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

I honestly missed SO many of the 1994/1995 figures because that time was right around my TMNT hiatus. I personally didn't seek Mona Lisa, Hot Spot, Sandstorm...etc.

Now as an adult whom got all back into TMNT thanks to the 2012 series, I've been trying to acquire many of the figures I missed out on.

I purchased one of the Playmates Classic Collection Super "Mikey" Michelangelo figures and HATED it. The lack of paint apps and the cheap feel to it just made me angry, so I ended up buying the real deal soon after.

With that said, I'm not so sure I'd want any re-releases from Playmates because they cut so many corners these days. Unless they start making 'em like they used to...I'm staying away from whatever "classic" they decide to throw our way.

As for Super 7, I honestly don't know if I'd buy their take on an Ultimate Scratch or not. I'm leaning closer to yes than no. However if a ReAction Scratch was released...that's an easy pass for me. I just really don't care for those.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #70
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverNinja View Post
I honestly missed SO many of the 1994/1995 figures because that time was right around my TMNT hiatus. I personally didn't seek Mona Lisa, Hot Spot, Sandstorm...etc.

Now as an adult whom got all back into TMNT thanks to the 2012 series, I've been trying to acquire many of the figures I missed out on.

I purchased one of the Playmates Classic Collection Super "Mikey" Michelangelo figures and HATED it. The lack of paint apps and the cheap feel to it just made me angry, so I ended up buying the real deal soon after.

With that said, I'm not so sure I'd want any re-releases from Playmates because they cut so many corners these days. Unless they start making 'em like they used to...I'm staying away from whatever "classic" they decide to throw our way.

As for Super 7, I honestly don't know if I'd buy their take on an Ultimate Scratch or not. I'm leaning closer to yes than no. However if a ReAction Scratch was released...that's an easy pass for me. I just really don't care for those.
I believe many of the sculpts for the 1993 to 1997 figures of the original Playmates toy line were lost to a fire. That is the reason why I continue to bring up the reproductions being sold through Instagram.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #71
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I believe many of the sculpts for the 1993 to 1997 figures of the original Playmates toy line were lost to a fire. That is the reason why I continue to bring up the reproductions being sold through Instagram.
I remember hearing about the fire that lost all those awesome Playmates molds. Such a shame.

Yes, I absolutely love what some have been offering on Instagram and I've been taking advantage of some of those offerings as well. I prefer the heart and soul that goes into some of the customs/reproductions from fellow fans. I wish I had the talent to work with resin/molds. Witch that said, thankfully those whom are handy working with stuff like that, have always been more than fair with what they ask.

I have had the ability to get new custom wings for my Winged Warrior Donnie, a door for Krang's Android Body...among other great stuff that I never would have thought I'd be able to find.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #72
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Instagram user Jumbo_Nuggatron makes Scratch bootlegs. The OP might want to check the profile of Jumbo_Nuggatron from time to time. https://www.instagram.com/p/B-7xP1SgI67/?hl=en
Old 07-03-2020, 02:01 AM   #73
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Quote:
The Instagram user Jumbo_Nuggatron makes Scratch bootlegs. The OP might want to check the profile of Jumbo_Nuggatron from time to time. https://www.instagram.com/p/B-7xP1SgI67/?hl=en
Thanks for that, I've passed his details onto Playmates. Hopefully they'll get him (and any other bootleggers) shut down.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:48 AM   #74
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogod View Post
Thanks for that, I've passed his details onto Playmates. Hopefully they'll get him (and any other bootleggers) shut down.
He's not trying to pass those bootlegs/customs off as authentic, though. Why get him shut down?
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #75
mikey0
Foot Elite

Uncolored Scratch yellow resin figure in package with all accessories up for bid: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scratch-The...5-c1d4bf216c0d
Old 07-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #76
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by discogod View Post
thanks for that, i've passed his details onto playmates. Hopefully they'll get him (and any other bootleggers) shut down.
Uh oh some fan is making resin castings of a toy that's been discontinued for 17 years, better call the manager! Anyway, adding you to my ignore list. Over a decade on this forum and you're the first member getting the ignore button, loser.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #77
mikey0
Foot Elite

With 9 dollars and a 3D printer, you can now make your own Scratch. The Scratch 3D model is missing all of the accessories and you have to paint it, but the Scratch model might still look great with the other figures in your collection. Here's the link: https://www.renderhub.com/danyelon/t...rintable-model
Old 08-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #78
mikey0
Foot Elite

Custom Glow in the Dark Scratch head: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tmnt-Scratc...IAAOSwjYFeytfS
Old 08-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #79
mikey0
Foot Elite

Another Instagram user to keep an eye on is collectordibbs. He will keep you updated on the Scratch projects.