The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #161
CyberCubed
Overlord

Speaking of the Foot Soldiers, I really liked how they looked in 3D. I'm not sure why, but their 3D models were perfect. Loved the purple coloring and their faces, and the way they moved like the Playmates figures hunched over.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #162
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

This isn't a major complaint but I think it would've been so much cooler if when Krang opened the portal, we got the classic Rock soldiers instead of the new ones.

Especially if General Traag came out shouting "We are at your command Lord Krang!"
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #163
Vegita-San
Emperor

yeah, but they already ret conned his origin so they had to stick with the new x.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #164
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
yeah, but they already ret conned his origin so they had to stick with the new x.
They didn't retcon anything.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #165
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I guess Krang had access to Nick rock soldiers as well as his own variants.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #166
CyberCubed
Overlord

Because he was also opening the portal in the Nick-verse.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:43 AM   #167
evan2000
Stone Warrior

Found another easter egg, the loading screen of old school TMNT arcade game appearing on the Techodrome's computer screen:

Compare with this as reference:

Old 09-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #168
kelligrafie
Stone Warrior

Aside from the casual 1987 references in terms of mentioned vocally or appearing onscreen on signs/doors etc.

The villains union card that Nick Beebop flashes at the screen is signed by Pat Fraley and I'm assuming the other scribble is James Avery.

And when they go after the krang crystals you can see 80s memorabilia such as Robocop's head/helmet, a Teddy Ruxpin, Freddy Krueger's hat and claws. There's also a silhouette of something that looks either like a Thundercat or old school Wolverine. There's also loads more references in that particular scene if anyone wants to go through it frame by frame.

It hasn't been that long since I re-watched some of the old 80's episodes and I have to say, either some of you are overdosing on nostalgia and are blinded to how capable the 80's turtles were as ninjas, or it has literally been 25 years since you watched an episode and your memories are hazy at best.

The 80's turtles were not mistreated in this crossover.

You have to think that not only did the 2012 turtles have to take on the villains, watch their own backs in a fight, they also had to keep one eye on the 80's turtles to protect them if and when the situation arose.

Because they were a serious hindrance at times. Their fighting skills were not up to speed with the 2012 dimension. And their involvement could have endangered the mission.

They weren't down at Timothy's level of being incompetent but they weren't capable of fighting 2012 villains.

You could probably argue that had 80's Shredder and Krang been as dangerous as their 2012 counterparts, it would've been a much different story. The 80's turtles would've been much better fighters because they would've had to be.

I'd say the 80's series got a gentle ribbing at best.

And I'll remind you that nobody ribbed the 80's series more than the 80's series itself. They poked fun at themselves all the time.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #169
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They didn't retcon anything.
Oh yes they did. They made Krang be from an entirely different Dimension X.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #170
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Oh yes they did. They made Krang be from an entirely different Dimension X.
how can the shows biggest fan have missed this simple fact, when someone who's only seen most episodes only once caught on?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #171
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligrafie View Post
It hasn't been that long since I re-watched some of the old 80's episodes and I have to say, either some of you are overdosing on nostalgia and are blinded to how capable the 80's turtles were as ninjas, or it has literally been 25 years since you watched an episode and your memories are hazy at best.

The 80's turtles were not mistreated in this crossover.

You have to think that not only did the 2012 turtles have to take on the villains, watch their own backs in a fight, they also had to keep one eye on the 80's turtles to protect them if and when the situation arose.

Because they were a serious hindrance at times. Their fighting skills were not up to speed with the 2012 dimension. And their involvement could have endangered the mission.

They weren't down at Timothy's level of being incompetent but they weren't capable of fighting 2012 villains.

You could probably argue that had 80's Shredder and Krang been as dangerous as their 2012 counterparts, it would've been a much different story. The 80's turtles would've been much better fighters because they would've had to be.

I'd say the 80's series got a gentle ribbing at best.

And I'll remind you that nobody ribbed the 80's series more than the 80's series itself. They poked fun at themselves all the time.
I tend to agree with you somewhat. I don't feel the NICK crossovers necessarily captured the 80s turtles entirely but I don't think it was necessarily done with disrespect either. I consider it a vast improvement over the treatment in Turtles Forever.

However, I think part of the issue is that the 80s series itself was inconsistent with the turtles' skills. In some episodes, they were goof balls that use the environment in simple slapstick but in other episodes, they are shown to be capable of escaping a death trap with their ninja skills, with Donatello essentially mentioning Leonardo's skills as being "a highly trained ninja master" at some point. So, it really did go back and forth. I'd say the crossover was accurate...for some episodes. Inaccurate for others.

I think what kind of rubbed me the wrong way is that while the turtles didn't necessarily use their weapons very often in some episodes, they had shown that they knew HOW to (i.e. Leonardo has used his katana to cut/slice/attack before) and I think the training montage poked fun of that a bit much. That being said though, again, I don't see it done with utter disrespect. *shrugs* That may just be me.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #172
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligrafie View Post
some of you are overdosing on nostalgia and are blinded to how capable the 80's turtles were as ninjas, or it has literally been 25 years since you watched an episode and your memories are hazy at best.
Do you have any idea where you are? This is bordering on insult territory.

Ain't no casuals around here.

& besides that, you missed the point entirely despite it being stated clearly a few different times. The problem is that they weren't portrayed this way last time which makes this one feel wrong because of the jarring difference. The turtles were more competent in the previous crossover.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:11 PM   #173
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

When will these episodes air on tv?

I'm guessing they will all be aired as 3 seperate episodes rather than one complete package like the DVD so the theme song will be played before each episode rather than just once at the beginning.

It might also fix some of the errors like having 80s Shredder and Krang on the villains screen rather than Kavaxas/Zombie Shredder and some of the shoddy editing between episodes.

I'm betting there will be an extra quick scene or two in to improve the fluidity of the narrative like it was originally intended, as the DVD seems to have been put together in a rush as the qualitys kinda bad.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #174
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Welp, I finally watched this episode. It was....okay? I prefer the first crossover more. I liked the references and stuff made, but the 87 Turtles felt a bit off to me...mostly the fact that they don't apparently know how to use their weapons when they used them in the original series. I mean, in the first episode when they were fighting the Foot, they didn't know they were robots until Raphael stabbed one and Leonardo sliced the other. I can buy that they would have trouble fighting 2012 villains and physics differences, but not knowing how to use their weapons seemed kind of forced, even if they were poking fun at the fact that it got to the point in the original series where they had to use alternative ways of fighting, especially after the show started airing on CBS Saturday morning.

So yeah, other than that, the ep was just okay for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
how can the shows biggest fan have missed this simple fact, when someone who's only seen most episodes only once caught on?
Yeah, this baffles me. This was one aspect from the other crossover that I disliked. They changed Krang's origin story slightly just so it could fit in with this series. Cubed is completely blind.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #175
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
So yeah, other than that, the ep was just okay for me.Yeah, this baffles me. This was one aspect from the other crossover that I disliked. They changed Krang's origin story slightly just so it could fit in with this series. Cubed is completely blind.
It was a minor retcon, I have no idea why people make a big deal out of it. We never truly saw Krang's race in the original cartoon besides 1 minor flashback, so it makes no difference. The "Utroms" were never name-dropped in the original cartoon at all. They never used that name.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #176
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
The "Utroms" were never name-dropped in the original cartoon at all. They never used that name.
Oh my god. The fact that they never used the word Utrom is exactly what makes it a retcon you fuc*wit.

How do you so frequently misunderstand these things?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #177
CyberCubed
Overlord

Krang's race was never named in the OT in general. What does that have to do with anything? David Wise and the other writers never name-dropped "Utrom" in the show, so Krang's race could have been it or anything really.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #178
JH24
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Oh my god. The fact that they never used the word Utrom is exactly what makes it a retcon you fuc*wit.

How do you so frequently misunderstand these things?
Wow. What's your problem? Can't you have a normal discussion without resorting to namecalling? Good example you set here for others.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #179
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Krang's race was never named in the OT in general. What does that have to do with anything? David Wise and the other writers never name-dropped "Utrom" in the show, so Krang's race could have been it or anything really.
Except they doesn't resemble the Utroms in their non-mutilated form.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #180
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I stand by my theory the mutation of Krang's clones is just a very, very, very ancient ancestor of the Utroms that ended up reverse engineering genetically.

I can't really think of a good comparison, but I'm aiming for one of the "weirder" transitions in evolution. Basically the only thing "modern" Utroms would have in common with their giant ancestors would be their spines, facial plates, and maybe shoulder joints, but the limbs would have either disappeared or multiplied over the eons.