The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > Questions/Comments/Suggestions

Notices

Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

The Same People Keep Killing Good Threads

I can't be the only one who notices that a certain few users keep disrupting the overall harmony here by derailing threads that previously yielded a great deal of discussion.

Are the mods not noticing these patterns? I, for one, am getting tired of getting interested in a good thread only to watch it get dragged down to the level of a racist tirade or something worse. Repetitive posting, the overuse of really bad or outdated memes, offensive and insensitive generalizations about large groups of people...

There are certain people (one of whom has been here a rather long time) that I would seriously consider banning, or at least having them take a time-out of sorts. This is one of the only forums I bother visiting anymore and it's becoming an inhospitable place to hang my digital hat.

I mean, most of us here are adults. We are capable of being better than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

You're right that this place seems to have sunk to a new low lately. I dunno what the hell happened this Summer. Maybe the temperatures have been getting too hot? But yeah, i'ts like EVERY thread now has drama here. It's getting ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Yeah, you'd think, right?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

The problem is that some people here prefer to hit others over the head until they conform with whatever their opinions on anything are, from politics to Batman.
Debate and all is great, but we come here to have fun. It's okay to let things be sometimes.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I can't be the only one who notices that a certain few users keep disrupting the overall harmony here by derailing threads that previously yielded a great deal of discussion.

Are the mods not noticing these patterns? I, for one, am getting tired of getting interested in a good thread only to watch it get dragged down to the level of a racist tirade or something worse. Repetitive posting, the overuse of really bad or outdated memes, offensive and insensitive generalizations about large groups of people...

There are certain people (one of whom has been here a rather long time) that I would seriously consider banning, or at least having them take a time-out of sorts. This is one of the only forums I bother visiting anymore and it's becoming an inhospitable place to hang my digital hat.

There are people on this board, ones that shall remain nameless, that become very disruptive and hostile when they wanna win an argument.

The Mods needs to keep an eye on that stuff, I seen some threads being locked over constant arguments that gets very personal.

There are TMNT fans that look down at these forums for the exact things you describe.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

Other than things pertaining to (the new) Ghostbusters & other stuff with socio-political leanings, I can't recall seeing any high tension drama or long-held discussion ruined by altercation.

People need to learn how to use the ignore feature.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
snake
Disgusting

I wonder who this thread is about?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
ToTheNines
[sic]

ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Other than things pertaining to (the new) Ghostbusters & other stuff with socio-political leanings, I can't recall seeing any high tension drama or long-held discussion ruined by altercation.
Spoiler:

That film's thread got so bad that Leo left, remember?
It was like a hundred pages of nothing but bitching.

Plus, of course, back when this film was coming out everyone hated each other's guts...

Spoiler:
Old 09-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #9
ToTheNines
[sic]

Lol, I was probably wise to avoid the movie section in 2014, but I'm kinda bummed that I missed out on all the crazy.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #10
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post

Plus, of course, back when this film was coming out everyone hated each other's guts...

I love when folks talk about me...

Leo was wrong, and bullying folks who didn't agree; he was the problem, not me. 27% man, that was the final score. We've had this talk, all of us.

Next? If you wanna preach, get the facts straight.
If I recall, you were a fair bit douchey yourself just before BVS was released, just because. Very few folks have clean hands here.

I admit when I'm wrong, and I have. Some folks can't muster that courage;
some folks just run away.

Que sera, etc.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
If I recall, you were a fair bit douchey yourself just before BVS was released, just because.
Oh, I'm sure I was! My point was just that it doesn't have to be related to politics to get people riled up. We can be at each other's throats for something as stupid as Batman or ninja turtles.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #12
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure I was! My point was just that it doesn't have to be related to politics to get people riled up. We can be at each other's throats for something as stupid as Batman or ninja turtles.
Ok, I'll take that.

Point is, I keep getting flak over Leo leaving, and honestly, I'm sick of it. I've explained many times, and if anybody reads my piece in the DU, it was never an attack on him directly - I never got personal.

I love it when we have have debates...I like opposing views. I hate locked threads...silencing people goes against my values. I think it's healthier to have to defend yourself, then have a mod do it for you, (UNLESS it's outright doxxing or whatever.)

The BVS thread should have remained open...nothing horrible was said...but mods get tired of reports, I get it...

I have way more respect for those that stand their ground then run to mommy.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Lol, I was probably wise to avoid the movie section in 2014, but I'm kinda bummed that I missed out on all the crazy.
I remember the night the hundreds of new users poured onto the forum after the picture from toy fair was revealed. What a sh*tstorm.

Who remembers Babies with Penis-Heads?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #14
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I remember the night the hundreds of new users poured onto the forum after the picture from toy fair was revealed. What a sh*tstorm.

That was the first review, wasn't it?
Old 09-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #15
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Yes, we do have people who are determined to turn popular threads into political/religious/racial/sexuality-laced rants. We've tried to ease back on the ban of these topics, since we THOUGHT adults could be adults. But the way people are getting so hostile so quickly, we may Have to go back to outright banning the topics. If you want to debate (or preach to the choir) about certain topics so badly, go check out the social groups. Or make one.

And people 'running to mommy' is less of wanting to be a tattle tail and more an issue of members being sick and tired of certain people beating the same dead horse over and over and over again...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #16
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
Yes, we do have people who are determined to turn popular threads into political/religious/racial/sexuality-laced rants. We've tried to ease back on the ban of these topics, since we THOUGHT adults could be adults. But the way people are getting so hostile so quickly, we may Have to go back to outright banning the topics. If you want to debate (or preach to the choir) about certain topics so badly, go check out the social groups. Or make one.

And people 'running to mommy' is less of wanting to be a tattle tail and more an issue of members being sick and tired of certain people beating the same dead horse over and over and over again...
You know what I mean, right?
Also, really, in some form or another, every topic here is a dead horse, unless it's current news.

My point is, some of the debates are only furthered by locking them down. I think, the religion thread was going well, until *sigh somebody (why we use that term, so silly) decided to play contrarian just for giggles. They enjoy man-bashing, and if we're going there, then, let everyone stand and be counted, right? She knows she baited the situation. The agenda is clear.

but we can point fingers all day...I don't think it wins points with anyone to do so, and I'm not interested in telling you how to Mod. I think you've been fair with me, and are fair to everyone for the most part. You have the responsibility, it's tough, and unless the situation truly calls for it, maybe ringing the bat-phone every time folks jaywalk is beyond the pale. maybe a few peeps get a kick out of sounding the alarm.

Just saying.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #17
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

People need to learn how to use the ignore feature.
Quote:

To add to this topic, it's not just the introduction of socio-political topics that start off in the thread that lead to altercation, but it's that the production details of an entertainment project can quickly descend into political/sexual/racial/religion topics, and if there's disagreement, the sarcastic ad hominem attacks come quickly.

One of the biggest examples of this is the casting for a project (i.e. when William Fitchner was rumored to be Shredder for the 2014 movie and arguments about his race, gender/race representation for a TV show/movie when there are new characters or replacements [TMNT 2012 show, speculation for an all-male/all-female cast, ethnic backgrounds for established pop cultural characters], character depictions of particular traits that bring up the topic of stereotyping vs. light-hearted caricatures).

Some of the most belligerent members who quickly resort to these attacks, seem more interested in "winning" a hollow internet thread through character attacks on members, rather than having a greater understanding or conversation about contrary viewpoints and the topic at hand.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 09-09-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:10 AM   #18
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post

Wait, babies with penis-heads? what the ****?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think something should be done about negativity in the Nick TMNT section in particular. Too many people are crapping all over episodes and characters of the show and don't even watch the series anymore. So essentially they're there for no reason. Instead of stop watching the series, they stick around to post bizarre rants about whatever it is they don't like.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #20
TheSkeletonMan939

I think you're looking at the PD TMNT section by mistake.
It's also possible the Nick TMNT cartoon isn't very good.

Tags
cubed and tothenines, cubed's got it, cubedindenial, dawn of fat hookers, meow is vandalay, microagressions, snake vs the world, threads about cubed