The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 04:59 AM   #1061
drgon78
Mad Scientist

That is adorable but I am also curious of who(or what) he is giving that flower to as well. Makes me wonder if we will ever see Sonic's parent(s) or was he an orphan at this point.
drgon78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #1062
AquaParade
Banned

I'm thinking they whipped this number up after seeing the reaction to Baby Yoda.

Def cute though. Wonder if they should have gone with this design from the start in the interest of profit.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #1063
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Check out the attention to details in this.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #1064
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Wow I didn’t even remember the face appeared in that stage. So that means Labyrinth zone exists on the island just like in the games.

I still wonder if it’s related to a character in the movie. Like if that was the inspiration for the villain or some other character.

I’m confused about the shoes though since he’s wearing the same ones as a baby in a smaller size.

I’m sure there’s an explanation but I’m thinking it might be something like a parallel dimension thing. They exist in both worlds but have different names.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #1065
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Wow, the artists/animators placed their best efforts for this movie.

Too bad, as it will likely bomb anyways. Sad.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #1066
Galactus
Foot Elite

Very good South Island/Green Hill Zone recreation.

I've not been following the development of this movie but I'm kinda surprised to see that it's following the 90s international Sonic story where it's Robotnik and not Eggman and it's set on Moebius and not a version of Earth. Has anyone involved said why?

I know that for "our"generation that's what Sonic is but they've been using the Japanese story for nearly two decades now and since the movie is primarily set on Earth anyway I would have expected the movie to follow that too.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:32 AM   #1067
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The Japanese story? It’s the same in both countries. I mean the games carry the same story everywhere.

Sonic Adventure started the trend of taking place on earth but I think it’s a given him and his friends are from another planet even though they never explain it.

Classic Sonic is treated as an alternate universe. Although I prefer to think of it as all the same and “Modern Sonic” is just older along with everyone else.

Edit: Ok there’s a floating island in SA but that could not have come from another planet. It’s clearly a location on earth.

I’ve read in the comics that Mobius is actually earth in the future. Sonic and everyone’s origin are alien related. I have not read the entire backstory but I really like this idea.

Still the games should have explained where they’re from in SA. It’s weird because at the time there had not been a major Sonic game for awhile. They just stuck it on earth.

They didn’t reintroduce Classic Sonic til Generations so that seems like a recent decision. It’s possible they thought about it during the Dreamcast days but it’s confusing.

Maybe the chaos emeralds landed here, creating a new earth bound floating island and Sonic and company followed shortly after...either way works I guess. I know the comics don’t really influence the games. I’m just saying we can imagine it however we want.

Edit 2: I forgot SA2 does give earth as the origin but Sonic X has them come from another planet. It’s just different for each era/continuity.

In the context of a movie it was best to be from another planet or else it’d require a big explanation for anthropomorphic beings coexisting with humans. It’s simpler.

Last edited by Wildcat; 12-29-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #1068
Galactus
Foot Elite

I'm not the biggest follower of Sonic The Hedgehog but I'm fairly certain that the Japanese version of the original Sonic game was that it was set on Earth and that the anthropomorphic animals and lands we see in the game are mystical in nature.

When they brought the game to the rest of the world Sega of America came up with their own story that the entire thing was set on a world called Mobius and that Dr. Ovi Kintobor experiments with then-brown prickly Sonic went awry turning him into the super fast hero in the game and drove Kintobor evil to become Robotnik.

Since the in-game Sonic didn't really future much in the way of a narrative the discrepancy didn't matter. It only started to mater in the 3D games when we saw more realistic environments and actual humans used. By Adventure 2 they just threw their hands up and said they'd just follow the Japanese lore.

I know the Archie comic said that Mobius is Earth in the future to square the circle and I'm not complaining about the movie following the American version. It's the one I'll think of first, in my mind he'll always be Robotnik and not Eggman (strangely I've accepted Princess Peach though) but whole generations have grown up with the Japanese version as the main canon that I find it puzzling the movie has gone with the now defunct US version of the story.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:27 PM   #1069
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya I’ve read even for the original games the setting was considered earth just was not pointed out and Mobius was an American thing.

If you use the Mobius idea it still leaves the question of how and why Robotnik is seemingly the only human around.

I’m good either way but for the movie I still think it was best to make him an alien. It’s not really surprising. The American origin might be more popular.

Even Sonic himself was designed based on western culture which I find kinda funny. You’d think appealing to the Japanese market would come first.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #1070
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I like how everything in Sonic's world looks amazing, and Sonic's redesign is decent. I laughed at most of the jokes in the trailer, so I'm really looking forward to this Flick. I'll definitely be picking a ticket up opening weekend.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #1071
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

They are probably using Iizuka-san's "two worlds" origin for this film.

It's still incomprehensible.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #1072
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The Mobius thing always made more sense to me. Even in Sonic X, from the episodes I've seen, it seemed the only animal-people were Sonic and his crew, and regular people still had to adjust to now living alongside them.

Making the Sonic series take place in Earth, we have to take for granted that all these odd creatures co-exist with normal humans. Robotnik himself, even though he is human, he still looks very cartoonish and odd alongside regular humans, almost like if you put Homer Simpson in the middle of more realistic drawn show while still keeping his original cartoonish design. Robotnik just looks out of place compared to normal humans too.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #1073
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

There's a brand new Sonic poster that appeared ... in Spain.

Spoiler:

Old 01-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #1074
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

New Movie Poster
https://twitter.com/rejectedjokes/st...90707147100160

Old 01-06-2020, 08:02 PM   #1075
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The more I see, the more I can't wait to see this.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 01-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #1076
Leo656
The Franchise

It will be pretty interesting to see if this thing really can do a full 180 from the general consensus of, "Who booked this sh*t?" into most people being generally excited about it, based solely on the redesign.

I mean, originally most people were against the entire project on principle, and the fact Sonic was hideous was just a "bonus". Now that Sonic looks a lot better, people seem genuinely looking forward to it. All the "video game movies are always terrible" and "Nobody cares about Sonic anymore" arguments have gotten very, very quiet, even though they're still perfectly valid talking points. The entire conversation now is only about, "He looks a lot better, so perhaps the movie will be good after all."

It's interesting. Is everything REALLY as simple as the visuals? I kind of suspect so.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:34 AM   #1077
Wildcat
Foot Elite

In general, regardless of being based on a video game, people who are genuinely into whatever it is are naturally going to get enjoyment out it.

That’s why I hate when people say...so-and-so is just another movie with “name”. Well those totally invested in that particular thing don’t view it as just another movie.

I understand why they say it but then anything could be described that way. What makes one more so than the other?

Anyway I realized something. Other franchises have gone to 3D animation. It’s said the live action Tom and Jerry is gonna be done in a different, new way. Whatever that means. Then the whole redesign situation...I’m extremely grateful live action Sonic made it.

As silly as it may sound this has always been my most wanted movie.

I remember it mentioned from time to time when it was “in the works”. I was happy but knew it was still a ways off so I was able to put it aside. But as it drew closer and actually went into production my excitement hit max.

Needless to say the delay was a frustrating time period but it turned out for the best.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #1078
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It will be pretty interesting to see if this thing really can do a full 180 from the general consensus of, "Who booked this sh*t?" into most people being generally excited about it, based solely on the redesign.

I mean, originally most people were against the entire project on principle, and the fact Sonic was hideous was just a "bonus". Now that Sonic looks a lot better, people seem genuinely looking forward to it. All the "video game movies are always terrible" and "Nobody cares about Sonic anymore" arguments have gotten very, very quiet, even though they're still perfectly valid talking points. The entire conversation now is only about, "He looks a lot better, so perhaps the movie will be good after all."

It's interesting. Is everything REALLY as simple as the visuals? I kind of suspect so.

Well... has any failed video game movie actually LOOKED good?

Old 01-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #1079
Leo656
The Franchise

I know very little of either Ratchet & Clank or Warcraft, but they both looked alright to me. I didn't end up seeing them, though. But going strictly by the visuals as presented in the trailers, they looked just fine.

I'm not surprised they failed, though; I mean R&C was at least ten years too late, and if you don't play Warcraft you don't care about it and aren't gonna see a movie about it. But I don't think they failed because their visuals were underwhelming. They looked fine, it's just that nobody in the grand scheme of things actually gives a sh*t about either property.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #1080
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

A Tweet from Paramount Spain mentions a Character name LongClaw. This is the Character rumored to be the Owl that takes care of Baby Sonic. a couple of months ago there was a leaked image of a Storyboard for the Sonic Movie. It featured Sonic with an Owl character.
https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/sta...74759625924608

The tweet pretty much confirms this rumored character.