The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #81
sdp
Megan Fox = April

As much as the social commentary is beyond annoying I'm so glad this movie is doing well. I can't believe Black Panther is getting this much hype, it's so awesome. Stan Lee always said "A black panther movie is the one I want to see, it'll be huge" and I never believed him but here we are!

I think this is the biggest Marvel movie hero in terms of hype coming from a c-list level to mainstream success since Guardians of the Galaxy and before that I'd only say Iron Man. Hope it pushes Marvel to give other little guys a shot now that it apparently will have X-men back. And other movie studios as well, not to mention that it makes them not fill white characters in movies that shouldn't have white characters like that recent Bruce Lee movie.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #82
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I don't think it's a coincidence that the best movies to come out of Marvel Properties have been the ones that took chances, with Black Panther being the most recent installment to break from the formula and try new things.

The greater the risk, the greater the reward.
But you've got to be prepared for failure.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #83
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

It was an excellent film. I loved seeing the African culture and the technology of Wakanda was outstanding. The fight scenes and car chases were very action-packed along with the final battle. Disney parks could do some amazing things with attractions based on this film. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't see it in 3-D because the special effects would've looked amazing. If I have the opportunity to go again, then maybe I'll do that.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #84
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Just got back from seeing it. It was truly fantastic. Killmonger has the best theme music out of all the Marvel villains so far, imo.

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 02-19-2018 at 04:15 PM.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #85
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence that the best movies to come out of Marvel Properties have been the ones that took chances, with Black Panther being the most recent installment to break from the formula and try new things.
Did it really break formula? We had the "prove you're worthy!" thing recycled from both Thor 1 and Thor 3 as well as the tried-and-true "the hero must fight a doppleganger at the end" from like, every MCU solo movie.

What's radically different is the setting and "feel." I liked when things got kind of Mission Impossible-esque around the middle, though even that we could say was sort of recycled from Ant-Man.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #86
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Did it really break formula?
Haven't seen it yet, but it does sound like "bend the formula" is a better choice of words for it, given the things you mention. "Fight the evil doppleganger" is probably the most annoying thing they still do. That kind of villain is cool - it's half of Venoms appeal in his earliest appearances - but it feels like all they do.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #87
Shark_Blade
Emperor

So Black Panther broke many box office records
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#310efaa01ba4
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #88
Sumac
Banned

Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther - all properties that are normally out of view of general public were made into successful movies. I like it very much.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #89
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

It holds up on repeat viewings. I daresay I think I enjoyed it more second time than I did the first time.

Today I went with some friends and their second grade daughter. She said it was the best superhero movie she had seen next to Wonder Woman. So I sent her a picture of one of the actresses who happened to have been in both.
She was so happy.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #90
Leolead
Stone Warrior

This was an excellent movie. One of the best in the MCU. Already seen it twice. Seeing it one more time this weekend
Old 02-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #91
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Well now...

‘BLACK PANTHER' Ranked As Best Movie Of All Time By Rotten Tomatoes
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/...tten-tomatoes/
Old 02-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #92
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Just saw this movie ****ing fantastic visual music story it was all a blast
Old 02-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #93
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

Michael B. Jordan (the guy who played Killmonger) was the best part about this movie. He is truly becoming one of my favorite actors. I've followed his career since he was Wallace in The Wire, and he always knocked whatever role he played out of the park.

I honestly don't see anyone else who could've played Killmonger. He definitely is one of the best villains established in the MCU. The movie itself was a blast to watch, but this was just the icing on the cake.

I am really hyped for Infinity War. 10 years in the making. It's insane.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERO View Post
Michael B. Jordan (the guy who played Killmonger) was the best part about this movie. He is truly becoming one of my favorite actors. I've followed his career since he was Wallace in The Wire, and he always knocked whatever role he played out of the park.

I honestly don't see anyone else who could've played Killmonger. He definitely is one of the best villains established in the MCU. The movie itself was a blast to watch, but this was just the icing on the cake.
I think he'll be fairly forgettable in the big picture, fast forward a couple of years. I like Jordan, but he came off a bit fey here.

Very much looking forward to Creed II, though! Holy sh**... Drago and Drago Jr. in the mix? I'm beyond down.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #95
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Just saw this and it was awesome.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #96
raph27
Mad Scientist

Finally saw this last night. Solid movie, enjoyed it a lot.

I can't place my finger on why, but the tone and feel of the movie was different from the other MCU films. That was a good thing for me, made it stand out.

Loved the soundtrack and the whole movie was visually beautiful. Marvel has been stepping it up with GOTG Vol. 2, Ragnarok, and now BP. Especially impressed by the car chase in Korea. I keep hearing complaints about the CGI, but I personally didn't notice anything too bad. I'll probably notice it on the Blu-ray, that's usually where the bad CGI shows through. (Opening scene of Age of Ultron does not hold up IMO.)

Some great new characters in this movie too. Shuri, Klaue, and Erik specifically. Especially Erik, who's one of my favorite MCU villains, up there with Vulture and Kingpin.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:16 PM   #97
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I liked it for some of the same reasons. I think the difference comes down to it being more grounded and self-contained, with more subtle effects. It felt more "real" in some ways. But it still fits nicely into the MCU. Visually stunning and the costumes- WOW!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #98
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I've seen this movie 4 times now and also got the movie soudtrack. I'm obsessed lol!

Here's my Okoye fanart WIP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Booyah! Now for some shadow inking and later on coloring shading!

Old 02-25-2018, 03:30 AM   #99
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I saw this last weekend - I think it's the best Marvel movie in years, everyone in it was good (maybe not Martin Freeman), and Coogler took it seriously so it actually felt like a classic superhero movie and not just another installment of a television show. The only thing that really let it down was that it had to fit in with the MCU, which added a bit of bloat to the story, and caused a couple of potential problems...

Spoiler:
...like, it's a good thing that the next movie is Infinity War because the Wakanda tech is so physics deafeningly over the top that it makes everything we've seen so far look pointless in comparison. In a self-contained movie I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but in the context of the broader MCU, they may have gone a tad too far.

The other important question the movie raised for me was; during the ceremony at the beginning, how did all the spectators get out onto those cliffs without spoiling their clothes?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #100
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Black Panther fans keep bothering the people of Wauconda, Illinois
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/201...onda-illinois/

Quote:
Residents of a small American village have been left baffled and bemused by prank calls from people claiming to have discovered the home of superhero Black Panther.

Also known as T'Challa, the Marvel hero is king of a fictional African country of Wakanda – outwardly ordinary, but secretly home to an El Dorado-esque kingdom, hidden from the outside world and rich in a fantastical mineral called Vibranium.

Wauconda (pronounced "Wakanda"), Illinois, certainly fits the "outwardly ordinary" part. Until now, the village was best known for its swampy bog (a nature park) and its annual two-day rodeo. But since the new Black Panther movie hit cinemas – where it has taken almost $500 million at the box office – fans have been calling up to ask where they can get their hands on some Vibranium.

"At first, I was like, is there a full moon out?" Alise Homola, an assistant to the village mayor, told the Hollywood Reporter. Homola, who has not seen the film, said her office had received both phone-calls and mail from fans of the film. "Someone called and asked how we pronounced the village name and when I told him, he began yelling, 'Wakanda forever!' which I am guessing is from the film," she said.

Speaking to the Chicago Sun Times, Homola said she was "a little confused" the first time some phoned up to holler the Wakanda battle-cry at her down the phone. “He was joking around about it,’’ she said. “He just said that ‘I was searching the Wakanda from the movie, and your village came up, so I thought I’d call you and give you a hard time.’

Dan Klett, principal of the local high school, told the office there had been requests to change the school mascot from a bulldog to a Black Panther.

Earlier today, a waggish Wikipedia editor updated the online encyclopedia to include King T'Challa among a list of famous local residents.

Wauconda may not be home to a hidden kingdom, but it does have a Hollywood connection: part of the climactic chase scene for 1980 comedy The Blues Brothers was filmed in the village.
Lol wish I could visit Wakanda.

--------------

And I did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
After having a prolonged art block, this movie really got me back into drawing again. I feel great. Thank God, I'm grateful.