The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #21
Igglet

God I'm loving this. Old Hob crossing the line is something I've been anticipating for so damn long, this is going to be great and I can't wait to see how this arc will tie in with Shredder in Hell. Man, between this, Shredder in Hell and I'd say even TMNT 20/20, IDW's really starting the year off strong.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think Mike knows what he's talking about, he's literally visited an afterlife where he got to see his mom .

(Also, Slash probably would have been vaporized, there wouldn't be anything to find)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #23
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
(Also, Slash probably would have been vaporized, there wouldn't be anything to find)
Combine that with the fact that even the tiniest remainder of him would now be radioactive, and the fact that the Technodrome was activated on the island not so long ago, and the fact that this is TMNT, where mutation can happen just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and... I really hope no one has the bright idea to go fishing or scuba diving off Burnow anytime soon!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #24
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The Utroms better hope they have some kind of resistance to nuclear radioactivity, otherwise they'll start having messed up babies...which is taking several steps backwards for their survival.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #25
ChosenOne
Banned

On the other hand, Spider-Utrom... Totally worth it!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #26
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Of course I'm talking more of the "bad" kind of mutations. Which...I'm actually a little surprised haven't come up more on TMNT.

Deformities bad enough for them to abandon ship from Burnow and start going after...I dunno...Europe as they seem to keep doing in potential future stories. Not just in the 20/20 special, but they also took over Europe in Turtles in Time.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #27
ChosenOne
Banned

We did see that... whatever it was... marine mutant that Leatherhead fought in one of the Universe back-ups.

Funny thing about 20/20, though, it doesn't really contradict what we saw in Turtles in Time #4, in fact, that future is still pretty much on track to happen (almost?) exactly the same. The Utroms had even taken over the Old World there.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #28
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well...it didn't really say when the other turtles gave up and ultimately died leaving Donatello behind. So it could possibly be the same future?

That particular mutant came from the radiation from the Technodrome (however oxygen depletion works for creating radiation?). Nuclear radiation is a different situation.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #29
ChosenOne
Banned

Until we see or hear something to the contrary, I'm assuming it's the same future. Fingers crossed for a third visit to find out how Stockman got Australia! Knowing that everything will go to sh*t no matter what the Turtles do but there'll always be hope is... Well, the right word is bittersweet.

Very true, but it's proof that things around Burnow are already plenty crazy in terms of mutations, and they'll only get worse after the explosion.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #30
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, and there's already multiple areas of conflict. Including whatever main two divisions there are.

I can see Ch'rell not wanting to abandon Burnow because of how much effort Krang put into making it the first base of a new home, but recognizing that eventually no one will be able to survive there. Especially since, if the Utroms are pescetarian carnivores like I'm assuming they are, the Triceratons won't be the only ones with a food crisis in the midst of the radioactivity. Burnow already sucked in terms of resources and now it's even harder.

Which is probably why Krang wanted Japan first; it had plenty of abundant resources and is bigger than Burnow. Even more so back in the 1600's when he originally had his eye on it, than the modern era.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #31
Igglet

Honestly I really really really hope the TMNT 20/20 future isn't canon. I mean, I'm a fan about some of the stuff they introduced there and adapting things like Leo's powers and Mikey becoming the leader is something I'm all up for, but stuff like the Turtles killing goes against some of the MAIN plot points of IDW's TMNT. Though this likely isn't the best place to rant about the comic.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #32
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

My thoughts on the turtles killing then vs now is that they're adults in the future timeline. It's another situation entirely when they're basically still children, even though Leo and Don are theoretically closer to being 20. But you still have a good point on that side of things. One uncomfortable note on that is that the turtles seem to be wearing the same gear they had when Gothano showed Splinter a potential future in #89. Complete with being maskless. But of course, they would have their masks off the entirety of the issue after Slash removes his for the last time. Respectful gesture, maybe?

Spoiler:
There was a lot to unpack in this issue, besides the memorial that was in the preview.
I'm also kind of disappointed that it was Metalhead barging into the EPF; kinda thought it was going to be Leatherhead for a moment. It was one of the <noun>heads.

I am going to guess at Ch'rell being a little more involved later down the line, given the debate around him. Answer: Worse than Krang???

And finally Karai! Git it girl.

(And now...someone's gonna have to draw Slash hanging out with Tang Shen in her garden...I may have to try)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-23-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #33
Igglet

Just gonna respond to the non-spoilery stuff since I haven't read through the issue just yet.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if they're kids or adults. One of the most important things about this version of TMNT is their moral code and their relationship towards killing. The reason for Mikey, and later the rest of the turtles parting ways with Splinter is because of him killing people. This is a very important aspect of this story.

Now, it's apparent that the reason why this has become a thing is because of limitations, I believe Sophie even confirmed at some point that they did the whole no-killing thing because they had to, it was an editorial decision (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong and just imagining things), and with everything that we've seen that does seem to make sense. But they took this limitation and made something great with it, making the story all that much interesting.

However, when they keep on treating it as a limitation and shove it away any chance they get, when they just pretend it's not a big deal, the story suffers and it gets reaaaaally hard to take it seriously. It's like if Batman decided to randomly kill someone and it's brushed off, it doesn't work.

Now, if this was given more spotlight, it could work, if there was emphasis placed on this, I'd be fine with it if it was pulled off but it's done so nonchalantly that it makes it so hard to take this seriously and, as such, it makes it hard to take the MAIN DRIVING POINT OF THE PLOT SINCE #50 seriously.

I get that a lot of people have been following TMNT since Mirage, that Mirage is their favorite version of the Turtles so this sits right with them but even so ignoring such a massive plot point is just a bad idea, even if you don't agree with a decision like that, you should at least expect the writers to take it seriously.

Or I'm just overreacting. I just really hope this isn't the canon future.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #34
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

They kinda do talk about that a little bit among each other.

Spoiler:
Oh my god, the joke about the kids not knowing how to work a VCR . Totally missed on my first read through. And Ye Old Chuck Norris/Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee/Van Damme Debates.

Old school indeed, kiddos.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-23-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #35
ChosenOne
Banned

This is how you do a recap issue without it feeling like filler! Great stuff throughout, and plenty of setup for the rest of the year.

The surprise visitor at the EPF was certainly unexpected, I loved the juxtaposition of the carnage outside the lab while Bishop was calmly getting dressed inside. Maybe he's found another "weapon" sooner than he thought?

Speaking of visitors, I can't help but notice Karai is leaving Bebop and Rocksteady behind whenever she goes on diplomatic visits these days. Must be because their presence could either be misconstrued as an outright threat, or they would just find a way to bungle up the proceedings and lead to a brawl regardless. I guess she learned something from the original debacle with the Ghost Boys...

Oh, and I got the feeling April will definitely run afoul of Stockman in the near future, most likely giving us the IDW version of the classic scenario where the Turtles have to rescue her from her employer. Better late than never!

The flashback was awesome! Mikey's guess and Splinter's reaction at the end is now one of my personal Top 10 IDW TMNT moments. Makes it all the more heartbreaking that we recently saw them come to blows over those very same kids' futures.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #36
Igglet

I'm honestly really surprised by how well this issue manages to both give us time to breathe AND raise the tensions and set up the storyline. So glad to see that all of the Macros are tying into the story.

A few things I didn't see mentioned here, I really like that this arc seems to be somewhat Mikey-centric so far while not ignoring the other characters whatsoever.

Casey and Jennika still going strong.

Splinter's being painted in a much better light for once after 40 issues. I genuinely don't think we got a single moment of good ole' guy Splinter since #50, though it does make you fear for his future. Who wants to bet that Splinter from Shredder in Hell is actually a future version of Yoshi after he died, guiding Saki into helping stop whatever fate befalls the world?

Finally, if you pay attention, you could briefly see Leatherhead on the monitor of Bishop's computer as he's talking about getting another weapon. This seems to tease that some of our theories might end up coming to pass.

Great issue, off to a good start. I've high hopes for this.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

A really solid prologue. Lots of threads, lots of characters, lots of bad stuff brewing!!!

Did not expect to see Bishop's ally, but I'm really glad to see that this character actually MATTERS and isn't just a forgettable foil for a certain Turtle.

Raphael's thoughts on Bishop were great. I really, REALLY want to see Hob and Raph versus Bishop. That's been my desire forever, it feels like...

Also, a critique: I'm sick of Casey and Jennika. Blah blah blah.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #38
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post

Splinter's being painted in a much better light for once after 40 issues. I genuinely don't think we got a single moment of good ole' guy Splinter since #50, though it does make you fear for his future. Who wants to bet that Splinter from Shredder in Hell is actually a future version of Yoshi after he died, guiding Saki into helping stop whatever fate befalls the world?
I worry that because he is being portrayed in a better light now, that Splinter's demise is approaching...we were going to care is he died, but when he was being a douche, we would've felt like he kind of deserved it. Now that he is turning back into the rat-man that we all came to love, his death is going to pack an emotional punch to the Turtles and the readers.

Saki dies in #50...do we see the same fate await Yoshi in #100?
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #39
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
I worry that because he is being portrayed in a better light now, that Splinter's demise is approaching...we were going to care is he died, but when he was being a douche, we would've felt like he kind of deserved it. Now that he is turning back into the rat-man that we all came to love, his death is going to pack an emotional punch to the Turtles and the readers.

Also seems like shredder would return in the main series thanks to shredder in hell.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #40
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Raphael's thoughts on Bishop were great. I really, REALLY want to see Hob and Raph versus Bishop. That's been my desire forever, it feels like...
I have a feeling it might go down like that, though I also think we'll see Raph vs Hob once again at some point afterwards. And Hob is yet to meet up with Stockman again after all this time... City at War seems hellbent on bringing all the long-lasting storylines home and wrapping them up like we were promised, but being told that and actually seeing it play out on the page like this is quite different. Whatever happens, I'm hyped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post

Most likely, as an echo of Saki's death. It might be premature to say this, but I feel that there will never be a better time for Splinter to go than #100.

Also, am I forgetting something or was this the first time Null was mentioned in the main ongoing?

Last edited by ChosenOne; 01-23-2019 at 04:35 PM.