The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 12-15-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
Nickokapo
Emperor

TMNT Recolored & Extended

Hello,
I don't recall if this has been posted before, but this is one of my favorite fan-made TMNT beat'em up games alongside TMNT Rescue-Palooza, and now that it is finally finished, i wanted to put it up here for people that don't know about it to maybe give it a try and hopefully enjoy:

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqt603goxg...ws%29.zip?dl=0

DOWNLOAD WITH THE "EXTENDED MODE" UNLOCKED: https://www.mediafire.com/file/utlk9...%2529.zip/file (i would recommend playing this, as you get the most interesting features which are in the extended mode, plus all of the regular mode's level are featured in between aswell anyway.)

It started out as a graphical re-haul of TMNT 2 The Arcade Game for the NES (Thus the original title "TMNT 8-Bit Recolored & Extended") but quickly expanded to feature original levels, enemies and cutscenes based on the teenage mutant ninja turtles 80's cartoon, a level from turtles in time, levels from TMNT3, and additional playable characters (as of this latest version, splinter and april have been added, you can now select casey in a few more levels aswell.):

This is a playthrough of an outdated version, but the game only came out yesterday, so i will update it if a new video comes out...
Here are previews of the latest additions:

"Enter The Shredder" stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhGKalk9PU
"Turtles In Time Technodrome" stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcMFPI5DYEE
"Turtles in time elevator" stage, plus an original subway station and inside the subway stages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ArZSt2Fhk
There are gameplay videos of Splinter and April on his channel aswell.

There are some welcome gameplay additions aswell, such as the special attacks from TMNT 3 Manhattan Project, a command for another special attack based on one from TMNT Tournament Fighters, grabbing and throwing foot soldiers towards the screen, aswell as running, and performing a running attack, all of this from "Turtles in Time"...a sliding kick attack is also possible.
The author, "GaBoTiCo" has been working on this project for more than 6 years now, and from what i gather, this seems to be the final version.
I hope you will enjoy it as much as i did. It is one of my favorite TMNT OpenBOR mods alongside Rescue-Palooza.

Last edited by Nickokapo; 06-17-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Nickokapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

What is the extended mode? How do they differ?
This actually looks cool, glad we're finally seeing some rom hacks of the NES turtle games since we have no other good TMNT games.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Nickokapo
Emperor

Yeah, it's pretty great...since konami went the way of the dodo as far as videogames go, and activision ruined what could have been a great licensed TMNT game by rushing platinum games for a deadline and releasing a rushed product, is one of the reason i like projects like this existing.
It is actually not a romhack, but a mod made with "OpenBOR", this is an engine for creating 2D beat 'em up games. It is the same engine Rescue-Palooza is built on.

The difference is, the first mode is a remake of TMNT2, while 'extended mode' adds new levels, playable characters, and cutscenes (If you are curious, you can take a peek at the first video i posted in the main post it shows off the cutscenes and original stages from the beginning up until the 20 minute mark...later on there are some other new stages interspersed between the TMNT2 ones, like the one based on the "Pizza Monsters" episode, amongst others.) Here are a few, smaller lenth videos:

Last edited by Nickokapo; 12-16-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Nickokapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Ah, I'm not familiar with any of that, I wonder how difficult it is to make a mod. So I'm guessing this is like MUGEN but for beat em ups right?
So the game is a remake of TMNT II and you unlock the extended mode, and the second link already has it unlocked. Gotcha. Well I loved Rescue Palooza but I realize Merso X set really high standards, but I'm itching for more games like it so I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the recommendation!
Old 12-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Nickokapo
Emperor

Yes exactly
And yup it's an engine very much like mugen, save for sidescroller beat 'em ups...there are plenty of mods out there, but so many of the TMNT ones still remain incomplete unfortunately. Since this just got finished like, 3 days ago, i figured i'd finally go ahead and post it here, as i did not find a thread for it.
MersoX did a reeeeeeeeeeeally outstanding job, so the bar is very high now...he does credit ideas from him in the ending sequence and i'm pretty sure i've seen him chime in GaBoTiCo's thread over at the chronocrash forums aswell.
Hopefully people will have fun with this mod aswell~!
Old 12-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Roughly how long does this take to beat with all the added levels? The original games were usually about 20 minutes long, what's the ballpark estimate on this?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Heh, you'd be hard pressed to beat any of the classic beat 'em ups in less than 45 minutes!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:03 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Heh, you'd be hard pressed to beat any of the classic beat 'em ups in less than 45 minutes!
Maybe Cybercubed plays them at 1.5x speed.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:21 AM   #9
Nickokapo
Emperor

hehe..yeah, 20 minutes is a short estimate, even for old arcade games such as TMNT or Turtles in Time which do not usually take longer than an hour at worst, to beat.
But to answer your question, well. from what i've seen from the playthroughs (which did not include the new technodrome stages as they hadn't come out yet at the time the playthroughs were made.(
With all the added levels in the extended mode, anywhere from 1 hour 30 minutes to roughly 2 hours, i'd guess...nearer to 2 hours with the added levels?maybe less if you skip the cutscenes and play as skillfully as you can.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Maybe Cybercubed plays them at 1.5x speed.
Most people play RPGs at 4x speed or more all the time, just look any stream on twitch.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

I played the original Final Fantasy 7 on 3x speed on PS4. I can't imagine how anyone can play old RPG's at normal speed anymore.

Half your game time is just watching the same battle animations over and over again. I don't how I was able to play RPG's as a kid or teen because now as an adult I can't stand looking at the same battle animations over and over anymore. I either always turn battle animations off and leave the game on 3x speed which Square thankfully including in all their remasters of the classic games.

I feel like I'm playing in slow motion otherwise
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #12
Nickokapo
Emperor

Added this superb thorough review to the main post:

There was a 2021 update of this game since my last post, they are mostly fixes, i will try to upload it and post it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I played the original Final Fantasy 7 on 3x speed on PS4. I can't imagine how anyone can play old RPG's at normal speed anymore.
Oh gawd that is so true, i have been playing "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Madness" at 4x speed and this came to mind...i always had a very impatient time with RPG for that reason, i hope it becomes a common feature.

Tags
fan game, fan games