The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #101
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Ronin View Post
I go out everyday.

I work, can't work from home.

I'm what they called an essential worker, so I never stopped working even when this thing was at it's worst. And by the grace of God no one in my family has gotten it and if we did we had no symptoms or anything like that.
Be careful, friend. There's a lot of evidence that winter 2020 is going to explode the virus, unemployment and all kinds of hell might break loose! Stay safe and good luck, pal.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #102
CyberCubed
Overlord

I usually leave home about once every two-three weeks now, sometimes once a month.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #103
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I usually leave home about once every two-three weeks now, sometimes once a month.
at least your getting out more, aye Cubed? Good!
Old 11-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #104
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
Be careful, friend. There's a lot of evidence that winter 2020 is going to explode the virus, unemployment and all kinds of hell might break loose! Stay safe and good luck, pal.
Aw thanks dude. Yeah it's pretty scary sometimes thinking about it. But I love having a roof over my head and power and all that Jazz. Living is highly overrated (by that I mean having to pay for basic necessities)
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #105
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Wife drove us to South Carolina today... Have not been out of my state since 2019, so... it was pretty crazy. Definitely red-state country. Saw a guy getting arrested for not wearing a mask!
Old 11-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #106
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Italy is back to lockdown for a month like other European countries. 445 dead today. The second wave is here and is biting.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #107
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I was shopping around yesterday at the mall, they've changed so much, haven't been to malls really in depth in like years. In a way they've tried keeping up with the times but seeing merchandise displayed it's odd and makes you want to get stuff you don't need. Of course the prices can't compare to online in most things but in others it's also cheaper. But such a chore to actually "go shopping" like that. Exceptions of course for stuff like clothes or home stuff.

Staying so much at home does make you "lazy" to do certain things you used to do like going so frequently for groceries or random stuff that wasn't all that important. I also love that people wear masks and keeping distance, even with assholes who don't do it because they act like entitled children YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO, most of us do it and I like it. I hated crowds, people seem to be more hygienic in general. Are people going to go back to being filthy pigs and breathe all over you to get somewhere 1 minute faster than you, ugh.

All the time saved not going to the office is great, luckily my jobs already were remote friendly before the pandemic so this has only accelerated the process of change in those regards. My company has actually saved a crap load of money just because it has to pay less people to maintain the premises clean. I can actually go out for a jog during lunch if I want or take a shower at that time, those things are convenient.

When I go travelling for vacation there's very few people anywhere so I actually feel safer than when in my city, less traffic to get to places, fantastic. I do miss international travel though, and I miss some services from restaurants and museums, or going to work conventions and a few other activities.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #108
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I was shopping around yesterday at the mall, they've changed so much, haven't been to malls really in depth in like years. In a way they've tried keeping up with the times but seeing merchandise displayed it's odd and makes you want to get stuff you don't need. Of course the prices can't compare to online in most things but in others it's also cheaper. But such a chore to actually "go shopping" like that. Exceptions of course for stuff like clothes or home stuff.

Staying so much at home does make you "lazy" to do certain things you used to do like going so frequently for groceries or random stuff that wasn't all that important. I also love that people wear masks and keeping distance, even with assholes who don't do it because they act like entitled children YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO, most of us do it and I like it. I hated crowds, people seem to be more hygienic in general. Are people going to go back to being filthy pigs and breathe all over you to get somewhere 1 minute faster than you, ugh.

All the time saved not going to the office is great, luckily my jobs already were remote friendly before the pandemic so this has only accelerated the process of change in those regards. My company has actually saved a crap load of money just because it has to pay less people to maintain the premises clean. I can actually go out for a jog during lunch if I want or take a shower at that time, those things are convenient.

When I go travelling for vacation there's very few people anywhere so I actually feel safer than when in my city, less traffic to get to places, fantastic. I do miss international travel though, and I miss some services from restaurants and museums, or going to work conventions and a few other activities.
This is supposed to be a lockdown and yet, it's okay for people to appear in public for non-essential reasons? I've done it myself on rare occasions but things are heating up again and, some folks act like it's okay to just go back to normal. It sure is a good thing that Covid deaths are down, huh!
Old 12-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #109
IMJ
Emperor

Malls have been dismal places for years. They feel like 3rd world country street markets nowadays with weird, off-brand stores and kiosks everywhere where someone will try to stop you or some girl runs up to you and puts lotion on your hand without even asking as part of her sales pitch.

That's a true story, by the way. That actually happened to me. She was younger and seemed naive, so I stayed cool and smiled and said no thanks. But it's like... "umm you just put some unknown chemical substance on me without even asking me if it was okay". What if I was deathly allergic or something?

Seriously, malls used to be a fun component of Americana where people would go to shop, eat, hang out and just walk around. Now it's like the Streets of f'n Cairo from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #110
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pretty much the only stores to survive the apocalypse is Wal-Mart (because it's cheap and poor people need to shop somewhere), and Target.

I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy goes out sometime in the next decade. Gamestop is literally on death's door.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #111
Leo656
The Franchise

See, again, NJ must be the most awesome place on Earth because the ones I go to are(were) always booming and packed with life. The two "big" ones everyone went to when I was in high school were Brunswick Square and Freehold Raceway. Over 20 years later and pre-COVID, nothing at all had changed. They had more "contemporary" types of stores and all that - fewer music stores and more "Lidz" establishments, for example - but they were always packed with people.

I get that people hate on NJ because it's so expensive, but aside from that, when I hear people talk about where THEY live... Jesus, everyplace else sounds absolutely miserable. Kinda makes all the "NJ Sucks" stuff sound like sour grapes, honestly. Good, inexpensive movie theaters, booming shopping malls, a thriving (if overcrowded) independent wrestling scene, WaWa and White Castle... yeah, I'unno. Sounds like We're Awesome and every other place just can't afford to live here so they bitch about it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #112
IMJ
Emperor

Best Buys are depressing now.
40,000 square feet of blue space against 10,000 square feet of product.

Big. Empty. Store.

It reminds me of when Circuit City was dying on the vine. It was like walking into an empty warehouse. Best Buy has held on by a thread though. But even that's another street market situation - walk into Best Buy to look around and some ******* comes up to you asking about your cell plan or if you watch cable or whatever.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #113
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

We've been seeing this kind of thing in plain sight since 2008. This is, as the saying goes, Late Stage Capitalism. Everything seems so scarce because of domestic policy. As a result, despite what the Powers That B say, we never really got over the economic collapse of '08 or The Great Recession of '09. Covid has just sped up the process.

In 1999 who could have predicted that the big brands, the household names of American retail business, would be struggling, on their death bed or simply deceased by 2020?
Old 12-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #114
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I've never been in a Best Buy lol.

Maybe I should go before they close.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #115
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Ronin View Post
I've never been in a Best Buy lol.

Maybe I should go before they close.
I wish I could say the same. I've only made 2 purchases there in my life:

2005: Misfits: Walk Among Us album.

2009: Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn.

Now, I would never shop there ever! But, gift cards have to be spent and maybe they were having a sale, can't remember.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #116
Leo656
The Franchise

I used to love going to Best Buy. That's where I was able to pick up all my 4Kids TMNT DVDs back in the day. They were always the cheapest around for buying DVDs and such, we used to hit them at least once a week.

Ultimately, and somewhat unfortunately, we just kinda stopped going a few years ago when I started working more and had less time to go shopping. We just didn't have the time to spend a couple hours hitting three or four stores and "making a day of it" like we used to love doing. Instead we'd just go to the mall since FYE had a lot of the same stuff, anyway. Best Buy still had better prices but it was just a matter of "Only so many hours in the day".

I have nothing against them, though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #117
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah in the early 2000's Best Buy was great. Used to constantly pick up DVDs and videogames there. It was THE place to get stuff.

During the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox and GBA era they had stacks of games all on the rows and that was when it was in its prime. Also tons of DVDs for movies, cartoons and anime...it was amazing back then. So odd to think all this stuff would become obsolete just a decade later.

Now everything is either digital or I order from amazon or ebay.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #118
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I now have Covid-19. Apparently had it for 2 weeks. caught it @ work. showing very few symptoms but am tired. kinda a good thing my hrs have been cut.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #119
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sorry to hear that. Hope you remain one of those with the milder symptoms.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #120
AquaParade
Banned

Best Buy was definitely cool for it's variety and large selection. Back in the day, that was a major deal. If I couldn't find something in a store, I didn't have a hope of owning it, so it was exciting as hell to randomly spot a Guyver complete series anime DVD or something of the sort that I may have not even known existed.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote