The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #121
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Gross.

I still think this movie looks like hot garbage.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks like it's headed for the biggest opening of a WB movie ever in China?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquam...-debut-a165207
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #123
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

First Negative Review I have seen from Collider's John Rocha.

John Steven Rocha
‏ @TheRochaSays
16m16 minutes ago

#Aquaman is maybe my most disappointing moviegoing experience of 2018. Wanted to love it so bad! It’s paint by numbers superhero movie making. Checked all the necessary boxes BUT with no soul. This isn’t on the actors. This is a script, pacing and direction issue. Dammit...
Old 12-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #124
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
First Negative Review I have seen from Collider's John Rocha.

John Steven Rocha
‏ @TheRochaSays
16m16 minutes ago

#Aquaman is maybe my most disappointing moviegoing experience of 2018. Wanted to love it so bad! It’s paint by numbers superhero movie making. Checked all the necessary boxes BUT with no soul. This isn’t on the actors. This is a script, pacing and direction issue. Dammit...
Typical DC. Don't forget all the unnecessary darkness too.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #125
Leo656
The Franchise

I see nothing at all "dark" about this. If anything it's oversaturated to the point of being blinding, and crammed with jokes to the point of being pandering.

Looks like a Marvel movie. Which is what everyone said they wanted. Oh well.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #126
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There is definitely ways to make a DC movie that doesn't follow the Marvel movie tropes. But it's all at the script level. BvS failed (I mean, it didn't fail but it critically bombed all the way around, and for good reason, many reasons) and JL failed... good scripts and better casting would have saved both.

I'm talking to you, FAKE Luthor and FAKE Flash. And unnecessary Cyborg.

Seeing Aquaman early this coming weekend. I'll tell it straight. It's the Amazon Prime early thing, like Jumanji 2 was last year. Which I liked. This gives me some good feelings. Like, with Jumanji, they knew they had some kind of feel good something... so they went that route. Maybe WB knows from early whatever that they do, too, and want early press about it. We'll see.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-11-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #127
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There is definitely ways to make a DC movie that doesn't follow the Marvel movie tropes.
Absolutely not. Not allowed. The majority of the best-reviewed Marvel movies literally say, in some fashion, "This is the template for what Every Single Super-Hero Movie should be."

I'm not the first, nor smartest person to point out that the marketplace for this specific genre of movie demands there be a single formula, and that ALL films follow it. Everyone from "professional" critics to "mere" fans has said, at some point, "It HAS to be done THIS way or it's crap."

What I find hilarious, though, is that even when they trip over themselves to follow that formula to the letter, DC/WB still can't catch a break. Which proves the ultimate theory of, whichever brand hit the market first was eternally going to be "the loser" in the public eye. I didn't come up with that one, either; somebody from Forbes or some other financial analyst page went ahead and predicted it almost a decade ago. It just happens to be true.

Unless your name is Oreo, no brand has ever come out second and overtaken their predecessor in the same marketplace. It's incredibly rare, at any rate. People are inherently biased against things they consider a "cheap imitation" and will never truly view them with an open mind. "If they were any good, they would have been out first, right?" Before, people made fun of DC movies for trying to be different than Marvel, now we snicker at them for "copying" them out of desperation. But the truth is, they weren't gonna win anybody over because they got in the game too late. But you can't just stay home, so... it is what it is.

Hey, by the way, if you wanna avoid becoming a jaded cynic, folks, simply avoid taking any Entertainment Marketing classes. I mean, it helps things make a lot of sense, but it's also kind of depressing, sometimes.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #128
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Absolutely not. Not allowed. The majority of the best-reviewed Marvel movies literally say, in some fashion, "This is the template for what Every Single Super-Hero Movie should be."

I'm not the first, nor smartest person to point out that the marketplace for this specific genre of movie demands there be a single formula, and that ALL films follow it. Everyone from "professional" critics to "mere" fans has said, at some point, "It HAS to be done THIS way or it's crap."

What I find hilarious, though, is that even when they trip over themselves to follow that formula to the letter, DC/WB still can't catch a break. Which proves the ultimate theory of, whichever brand hit the market first was eternally going to be "the loser" in the public eye. I didn't come up with that one, either; somebody from Forbes or some other financial analyst page went ahead and predicted it almost a decade ago. It just happens to be true.

Unless your name is Oreo, no brand has ever come out second and overtaken their predecessor in the same marketplace. It's incredibly rare, at any rate. People are inherently biased against things they consider a "cheap imitation" and will never truly view them with an open mind. "If they were any good, they would have been out first, right?" Before, people made fun of DC movies for trying to be different than Marvel, now we snicker at them for "copying" them out of desperation. But the truth is, they weren't gonna win anybody over because they got in the game too late. But you can't just stay home, so... it is what it is.

Hey, by the way, if you wanna avoid becoming a jaded cynic, folks, simply avoid taking any Entertainment Marketing classes. I mean, it helps things make a lot of sense, but it's also kind of depressing, sometimes.
Basically Warner Bros does not care about Superhero movies. and are pretty much sabotaging the whole thing. They aren't trying to follow the same formula as Marvel. They just want there directors to do whatever they want with it. even if it means not following what Marvel is doing. Its the reason why this whole DCEU thing is a mess. Wonder Woman got lucky because it had a director who actually cared. The same goes for Aquaman.

But when it comes to Batman, Warner Bros only cares that those Batman films be dark and gritty. They want another Dark Knight movie. Which is what they seemed to be getting with the new Batman movie that's being planned. and the upcoming Joker movie. Which is going on a completely different direction. God knows what they have plans for the Suicide Squad reboot with James Gunn. But don't expect it to be anywhere near the Guardian movies. He's probably gonna take that whole thing to a different direction and make it super dark like his previous work before Marvel.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #129
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
They have failed not because they have been second, but because they made crap.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #130
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I need to order my tickets. Got my babysitting already lined up...
Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #131
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I just laugh that the CW shows minus not Green Arrow have been doing the characters better than the DCEU Have.

Hell Elseworlds the crossover for this year as been amazing.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #132
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Currently at 78% ... I see it going down as more reviews start to trickle in.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #133
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I just laugh that the CW shows minus not Green Arrow have been doing the characters better than the DCEU Have.

Hell Elseworlds the crossover for this year as been amazing.
I dunno, man. You gotta slog through a TON of bull$hit to watch the CW shows. I sad-quit a year or more ago... the few guys at work who also watch geek shows are in the same boat, mostly.

But on the sole comparison of Ezra Miller versus Grant Gustin, there is zero argument. Zero.

I'll take "remind me how I'm faster than everyone else and could totally dodge a normal-speed gorilla punch?" Flash over "I'm autistic and don't understand how to eat breakfast and also Grindlewald won't leave me alone" Flash.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #134
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I dunno, man. You gotta slog through a TON of bull$hit to watch the CW shows. I sad-quit a year or more ago... the few guys at work who also watch geek shows are in the same boat, mostly.

But on the sole comparison of Ezra Miller versus Grant Gustin, there is zero argument. Zero.

I'll take "remind me how I'm faster than everyone else and could totally dodge a normal-speed gorilla punch?" Flash over "I'm autistic and don't understand how to eat breakfast and also Grindlewald won't leave me alone" Flash.
we got a better superman out of the CW than Mopey Emo Cavill Superman Id rather sit through an hour of anything DCCW than 2 hours of the DCEU
Old 12-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #135
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
we got a better superman out of the CW than Mopey Emo Cavill Superman Id rather sit through an hour of anything DCCW than 2 hours of the DCEU
I strongly disagree, but don't care to argue over it. You do you.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #136
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
They have failed not because they have been second, but because they made crap.
Sometimes you're right about stuff. You nonetheless have many bad opinions. This is one of them.

The organization itself is a mess, because they don't know which "fans" to listen to. The product was fine. Was. Until they lost faith and got panicky.

They ABSOLUTELY shouldn't be listening to people who don't even read comics. Which is 99% of the people whining about the movies. "But... but the cartoon shows!" Yeaaaah, not relevant. "But... But Chris Reeve...!" Those insipid kids movies have NOTHING to do with Superman, and anyone who's ever picked up a comic since 1986 can tell you that.

I know your opinion isn't gonna change, but it's forever tiresome hearing people who don't know what they're talking about, insist in fact that they do. If all a person knows of the DCU is old cartoons and movies that have been outdated for over a quarter-century, maybe they should allow that their opinion is based on misinformation, and not be so wedded to it.

I know jack sh*t about Marvel, so I try hard not to speak to what they do, because I don't want to come off either ignorant, or just a dick. It would be great if other people followed suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I strongly disagree, but don't care to argue over it. You do you.
Yeah, that guy's f*cking terrible. That whole show is terrible. A buddy asked me my opinion today about the CW-verse, I told him Flash is all I can handle, the rest is junk. That's what he thought, too, he just wanted to see if it was just him or not.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #137
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yeah, that guy's f*cking terrible. That whole show is terrible. A buddy asked me my opinion today about the CW-verse, I told him Flash is all I can handle, the rest is junk. That's what he thought, too, he just wanted to see if it was just him or not.
It is truly the worst CW capes/boots show. And that is saying something.

CW Superman can't do a fvcking thing; can't beat a villain, can't not be mind-controlled, can't win the day. It's all on Supergirl's lady shoulders. For fvck's sake.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #138
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I have a love/hate relationship with "Arrow" but I still find it pretty entertaining. "Flash" is generally consistently better than "Arrow" and pound for pound a pretty nice superhero TV show, except for when it goes SJW crazy, stuff like the bachelor party episode. I didn't know what to make of "Legends" going into it but I really dig it. Sometimes it can be pretty goofy, but there's a lot of production value going on. Watched a few "Black Lightning"s and that wasn't bad either.

"Supergirl"... yeesh. I tried, I really tried. Just couldn't do it. I fear the worst for "Batwoman."
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #139
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
"Supergirl"... yeesh. I tried, I really tried. Just couldn't do it. I fear the worst for "Batwoman."
It'll be exactly the same as Supergirl. Woohoo.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #140
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
I have a love/hate relationship with "Arrow" but I still find it pretty entertaining. "Flash" is generally consistently better than "Arrow" and pound for pound a pretty nice superhero TV show, except for when it goes SJW crazy, stuff like the bachelor party episode. I didn't know what to make of "Legends" going into it but I really dig it. Sometimes it can be pretty goofy, but there's a lot of production value going on. Watched a few "Black Lightning"s and that wasn't bad either.

Keep Watching Black Lightning it gets better and ya Legends is great it knows its a goofy show and doesn't care.

oh during the crossover Lois says she is having supes kid and Superman says I kid you not The world doesn't need Superman because it has Supergirl what a load of ********

Tags
leo656 loves the dceu, stargate atlantis, welcome to cucklantis