The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Krangstein
Hench Mutant

Ninja Tribunal season - 13 episodes vs. Fast Forward - 26 episode

I was wondering. The Producers decided to cancel the ninja tribunal story and change the whole concept. The result was Fast forward. What I've heard and read is that they decided to finish the NT story but not air it. I can understand that but why was the 5th season originally going to be just 13 episodes? Is it beacuse they ratings were poor and they only wanted to produce half a season or did they originally intend on having the 5th season 26 episodes? the reason i'm asking is because i find it strange they'd cancel a great 13 episode season and instead produce a 26 episode season. does any one know?
Krangstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Inner City Blues
Random Punk

I believe that Season 5 was going to be 13 episodes from the start. I remember reading an article during Season 3 where it said that Turtles was produced for 117 episodes, so season 5 seemed to be 13 episodes from the start.

Fast Forward isn't completely new either because I just bought the Season 4 DVD set today and there is an allusion to this direction in "Samurai Tourist." When Gen is leaving, he talks about wanting to visit Las Vegas, and Donatello says, "Maybe in a hundred years or so," and this is queued with that "quirky" TMNT sound (the one thye play when they try to emphasize a joke).
Old 09-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist

heh, thats interesting
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner City Blues
Fast Forward isn't completely new either because I just bought the Season 4 DVD set today and there is an allusion to this direction in "Samurai Tourist." When Gen is leaving, he talks about wanting to visit Las Vegas, and Donatello says, "Maybe in a hundred years or so," and this is queued with that "quirky" TMNT sound (the one thye play when they try to emphasize a joke).
Now that's awesome...
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Krangstein
Hench Mutant

but why only 13 episodes if they decided from the beginning?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
PrometheusUFO
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krangstein
but why only 13 episodes if they decided from the beginning?
In order to start a spinoff-like series at the beginning of the year (instead of in the fall), like Power Rangers? *shrug*
PrometheusUFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Krangstein
Hench Mutant

Do you think they decided on the whole story from the beginning. While producing season one, they knew they were going to end the series on the Ninja Tribunal/origina Shredder story?? Or did they decide on bringing back the original Shredder in sesaon 4 because the utrom Shredder proved unpopular with fans? I'm just very curious to know if this ninja tribunal story was something they came up with in late production or if they always planned on doing this story. What do you think.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Chris
Mad Scientist

Personally I think they came up with the idea when they were writing the end episodes of Season 3. They were getting rid of Shredder and wanted a new way to bring him back without cheating death for the 10th time. So they came up with the "real" Shredder and worked the build up into Season 4 (the only season with no Shredder) so his "return" would be a big deal in Season 5.

Plus it was around the end of Season 3 that the Playmates press release said 117 episodes were planned and in production, and just before the talk of a "new direction".

I don't think it was as early as Season 1 as I doubt they were even thinking about reaching Season 5 at that point as they had no idea how well the new series would be recieved and didn't even know for sure they'd get a Season 2!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #9
Krangstein
Hench Mutant

Personally, I really liked the Utrom-Shredder concept and thought it was a good idea. It made so much sense having shredder turn out to be a utrom and made the turtles/mutation-plot interesting. I can't understand why so many people hated the idea of Shredder being an Utrom. Actually if anything, the original Shredder/magical Tengu idea kind of rips off the whole Utrom-Shredder plot, making it look like the fight with Shredder and TMNT was just a waste of time...
Old 09-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Personally I think they came up with the idea when they were writing the end episodes of Season 3. They were getting rid of Shredder and wanted a new way to bring him back without cheating death for the 10th time. So they came up with the "real" Shredder and worked the build up into Season 4 (the only season with no Shredder).
There was a Shredder, Karai may not count to you, but she does with me, and with Pete hinting at a new Shredder in the current comic as Oroku Yoshi demonstrates , the mantle is fair game these days.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krangstein
Personally, I really liked the Utrom-Shredder concept and thought it was a good idea. It made so much sense having shredder turn out to be a utrom and made the turtles/mutation-plot interesting. I can't understand why so many people hated the idea of Shredder being an Utrom. Actually if anything, the original Shredder/magical Tengu idea kind of rips off the whole Utrom-Shredder plot, making it look like the fight with Shredder and TMNT was just a waste of time...
How would it be a waste of time. Chr'll may have been a fake but he was still a threat to the Earth and the Utroms.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
phillytmnt
Thug

Even though untrom shredder wasn't the original shredder, he was still the shredder. The title of "the shredder" seems to be a seperate entity in itselfs. Represents true evil. Whether its an evil utrom or a man 1700 years ago, they still carried out the name of the shredder and terriozed the land.The orignal might be the most powerful, but the utrom shredder still kicked the turtles butts when he was around and was a major threat. Karia now tries to carry on the title.' The shredder" will always seem to live on.
phillytmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #13
Inner City Blues
Random Punk

Here is the link to the story showing that the Ninja Tribunal storyline was incorporated from the start:

Quote:
Currently in its third season, the action-packed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles television series continues to bring the Turtles to kids with an unparalleled blend of action and humor on both the Cartoon Network and FOX’s 4Kids TV. A total of 117 episodes of the series are now completed or in production, taking the Turtles well into 2006. During the fourth season, to air this fall, the series will introduce the Mutants and Monsters storyline. The new segment will be threaded through the Playmates Toys product line and marketing efforts, and will culminate with Mutants & Monsters month in October on 4Kids TV.
So don't worry, nothing was cut out.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #14
Leonardo_Warrior_Turtle
Stone Warrior

I'm glad that they decided to get to the point on the Ninja Tribunal storyline. We don't have to go through some crappy or rough filler stories. So we can get to the epicness when we see
Spoiler:
the original Shredder try to kill Karai and turn New York into his own demonic Feudal Japan.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #15
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo
There was a Shredder, Karai may not count to you, but she does with me, and with Pete hinting at a new Shredder in the current comic as Oroku Yoshi demonstrates , the mantle is fair game these days.
How did I forget Karai?!?!

I do count her as a Shredder! Not "THE Shredder" like Oroku Saki, but certainly a worthy successor! I actually think Karai is more interesting as a villain as well because she's not outright evil, she started as the TMNT's ally and there's always that chance she might redeem herself before the series end!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #16
PrometheusUFO
Foot Soldier

A little while back, someone "in the know" posted about this in one of the Fast Forward episode discussion threads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleherder
Just to clarify, the 13 episodes of (the lost) season 5 were already done when work began on Fast Forward. There were never going to be 26 episodes, so it's not the first half of a season. It was written as 13 episodes of a single story arc from the beginning. Despite that, it is true that getting Fast Forward to air on time was a lot of work in a short amount of time. You'll be happy to know that the current main title sequence is only temporary. When the show re-premiers in September the real --all original -- main title will be attatched. Due to time constraints it wasn't completed by the early August air dates.
PrometheusUFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #17
Krangstein
Hench Mutant

some say that the lost season will be even darker than the 4rth season. do you think they had finshed writing all the episodes for the lost season before the fast forward thing was decided or do you think they altered the skripts after, knowing it would be a DVD only season and they could get away with more?