The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #1001
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hah, that looks way better. And the original design didn't even bother me.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #1002
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist

That trailer obviously looks much better than the one we previously saw. The design is so much more recognizable and most of the time it seemed like a fun popcorn flick for video game lovers. Carrey still seems like he is reprising his role as Riddler from Batman Forever and instead of trying to bring Robotnick to life even though both characters are over-the-top.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #1003
Ninjinister
無問題

Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #1004
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Funny seeing the TMNT Movie Twitter tweeting the new Sonic Movie Trailer. Makes you wonder if Paramount is thinking twice when they redesign the Turtles for the Movie Reboot they have planned.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #1005
AquaParade
Big Boss

I've always loved Sonic. Sure, it's mostly nostalgia at this point, but I'm actually a little surprised by how little I am interested in this. I'll probably rent it though!

I have no expectations, especially after they went back and redesigned Sonic. They made an improvement, but it hints towards a total lack of direction or focus.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #1006
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Definitely a vast improvement. It still might not be a good movie but......the fact that someone went out of their way to appeal to the fans is actually an improvement. The fact that they listened and not say that the fans are wrong, the fact that they showed a care, this is something I will support. And I'll be honest while the movie may not be good, that was a pretty decent trailer. A pretty recognizable Sonic, no Gangsta's Paradise, Jim Carrey hamming it up even more......I'm sold.
You pretty much spoke my thoughts as well here.
Although I still can't understand putting Sonic on "regular Earth" when it very clearly has never worked for a franchise where the IP's world is so inextricable from the character itself.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #1007
oldmanwinters
Overlord

February release dates are typically "garbage dump" scheduling for movies, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing my favorite Blue Blur on screen!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #1008
sdp
Winsider

I don't see how people can go from "movie sucks" to "movie is awesome", the only change is Sonic, the whole movie is exactly the same. I personally always thought it looked like a fun movie, the design is cool but I gotta admit I kinda liked the weird realistic hedgehog they had going on with the original design, I wonder since the movie was practically finished if we'll ever see the "real" hedgehog version. #snydercut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
That’s 1995 Jim Carrey alright. Amazing how he can still play his old self from like 25 years ago now.
He totally feels like 90s Jim Carey and it works

Sexy Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #1009
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I watched the trailer on mute because I already know from before that the humor isn't to my taste. I especially hate Jim Carrey more than just about any actor who's ever been in the business. But I was curious to see the new design after all the hullabaloo, and I must say, it's about one thousand percent better. So, much credit to them for that.

.... ALTHOUGH, as my old boss used to say, "Yeah, great job, 'hero', thanks for doing exactly what you're supposed to do." One still has to wonder how things would have gone - and how much money and aggravation they'd have saved - if they'd started with this design in the first place instead of "experimenting" with that hideous original one.

Kinda like Ang Lee's "Hulk" just might have done better if only the main character didn't look like a giant Nerf ball. We'll never know now, but it's a distinct possibility. In that case, the SFX guys knew it looked terrible but Lee kept overruling their complaints, and we all saw how that turned out. So at least in this case whoever made the original mistake was willing to swallow their pride and fix things.

Still not interested in seeing it but at LEAST the main character actually looks fairly accurate, now. I'm sure that will be more than enough to make most people happy. Good.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #1010
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Green Hill is beautiful. I seriously wish I could live there. His home planet might only briefly appear but it’s cool they included it.

I already mentioned I think the redesign is perfect but I still have soft spot for the first design. I hope the home release has more footage of it.

That aside this trailer is fantastic. The humor is cute and there seems to be more Sonic vs Robotnik than the previous leaks suggested.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #1011
Leo656
The Franchise

To be fair, that first trailer several months ago was just entirely comprised of poor choices. They did not lead with their strongest material at all. But to their credit, it does appear that they've learned from their previous mistakes - which were many - and are trying hard to make the most of this "do-over." Some people claim it sets a very dangerous precedent about how much control creators will have to concede in the future thanks to "fanboy whining", and I can totally understand that, but at the same time, what they're showing now is at least far more recognizable as "Sonic". It's closer to what it should have been like in the first place - even on mute, the trailer altogether showed a lot more of what I'd expect from a Sonic movie than the first one did - and whatever it took to get there, I'm fine with.

It's just a little irritating because they still lost 2/3s of a year and a sh*tload of money, just to end up where they should have started in the first place. You can't help but wonder what kind of drooling slapnuts approved each of the decisions that led them to believe the original look and trailer was a good idea to begin with. But hey, whatever got them to a better place, I suppose.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #1012
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well it’s being said the artists originally wanted a traditional design.
https://screenrant.com/sonic-hedgeho...esign-artists/

Don’t know how much the delay affected the budget but there’s also the merchandise. I’m guessing manufacturers had to be a bit annoyed they needed to start productions over.

2 different versions to collect though. Some first design stuff had to been made.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #1013
Leo656
The Franchise

How sad for them, having to "crunch" and everything when all the higher-ups had to do was trust their judgment in the first place. So unfair to the workers.

"Wanting a less-traditional design for the non-gaming audience" sounds about right, though. That's the kind of pointless over-thinking Hollywood execs often indulge in. As if anyone in the "non-gaming audience" would even care about the movie in the first place, for crying out loud. Why waste time trying to appeal to people who aren't going to give a sh*t, especially at the expense of people who will? "We're not trying to entice fans; we're trying to entice people who are NOT fans. If the fans like it, fine, but we really don't care about that so much." Makes no sense to ME, but it's par for the course in these stupid creative meetings.

I mean, it's their money, not mine. It's just... you have to be remarkably stupid to make some of these decisions. It's not too dissimilar to the BayTurtles fiasco, so I guess it's just goin' around.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #1014
Papenbrook
"Zero-Dollar" Sonic

Eh, I still think that Sonic looks a bit weird with the separated eyes.

Schwartz does sound like a great Sonic, though!

Ugh, this is so disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yooooooooooooooooooooooooo that was way too sick. Mad good. Maaaaad good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
You can't even contribute anything worth a damn to threads you create.

Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:12 AM   #1015
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Eh, I still think that Sonic looks a bit weird with the separated eyes.
That's like the one thing they kept from the original design in the movie, and it makes sense. Sonic having one big eye cornea doesn't make any sense, certainly not in a live action movie.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:41 AM   #1016
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Funny seeing the TMNT Movie Twitter tweeting the new Sonic Movie Trailer. Makes you wonder if Paramount is thinking twice when they redesign the Turtles for the Movie Reboot they have planned.
Watch them pick Fred Wolf designs and Andrew to pass out
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:59 AM   #1017
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Watch them pick Fred Wolf designs and Andrew to pass out
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. About the Fred Wolf designs (they've hardly not been transparent in oogling Fred Wolf from the start), not me passing out. I didn't even watch the last one.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #1018
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's like the one thing they kept from the original design in the movie, and it makes sense. Sonic having one big eye cornea doesn't make any sense, certainly not in a live action movie.
Funny that every cartoon character who was originally drawn with a uni-eyeball has had to have that style interpreted for the purpose of animation adaptation.

I guess Mickey Mouse was the first when he went from black and white to color and then the Smurfs when they received the CGI animation treatment:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/why-s...nt-eye.860185/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #1019
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ok speculation time. The Green Hill zone scene in the trailer might be at the end of the movie.

I’ve brought it up before but he’s wearing his shoes (redesigned but still Pumas) before teleporting through the ring. Those shoes were clearly acquired on earth because we saw all the others he ruined.

Also it was said he had to leave his planet as a baby which he’s obviously not in this scene and before teleporting he seems to stop and look up at something.

The full blown Dr. Robotnik look we saw is also probably at the end or after the credits but the Green Hill Zone part specifically might have him returning to earth a second time either to visit Tom or escape again since he says people on his planet are after his power.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:14 AM   #1020
Papenbrook
"Zero-Dollar" Sonic

Apparently, they released a new poster.

Spoiler:

Isn't Robotnik's mustache supposed to be brown?

Ugh, this is so disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yooooooooooooooooooooooooo that was way too sick. Mad good. Maaaaad good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
You can't even contribute anything worth a damn to threads you create.

Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panda cuck fan, snooping as usual i see