The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Why was the 2007 movie CGI?

Perhaps this has been answered before, but I've been wondering why this movie is CGI? It's still the only non-live action TMNT movie to this date. What was the reason behind this decision? Was it originally the plan? Was an animation studio the only one showing interest in a TMNT movie in 2007? Or did they reach the best deal with them?

Or was it simply a matter of "hmm, an animated TMNT movie has never been done before, let's try and see if it works"?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
snake
Disgusting

They probably didn’t want to create complex practical costume effects for the turtles, but didn’t want to spend enough to make CGI turtles that could pass in the real world as organic beings, so they met in the mdidle and made it all animated.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm guessing partially because CG animated movies were more cool and trendy at the time.

I'm glad they did though, because the movie is still very pretty to look at.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I'm guessing partially because CG animated movies were more cool and trendy at the time.

I'm glad they did though, because the movie is still very pretty to look at.
Yeah probably. I've never been very in touch with cinema and such, so I wasn't sure. Makes sense, though.

Yes, it looks good. And the video game based on it was quite solid for what it was. It was kind of like a Prince of Persia clone, right?

You did feel like a Ninja Turtle jumping all over rooftops. in that game haha
Old 03-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
They probably didn’t want to create complex practical costume effects for the turtles, but didn’t want to spend enough to make CGI turtles that could pass in the real world as organic beings, so they met in the mdidle and made it all animated.
Right. Enough of a budget to make a cost-effective CGI movie outsourced to Hong Kong... not nearly enough of one to make it live-action with costumes and animatronics and all that.

Always seemed like an... interesting choice. I also don't think they had much of a marketing budget because very few people even knew there was a movie out.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Right. Enough of a budget to make a cost-effective CGI movie outsourced to Hong Kong... not nearly enough of one to make it live-action with costumes and animatronics and all that.

Always seemed like an... interesting choice. I also don't think they had much of a marketing budget because very few people even knew there was a movie out.
I remember it barely being talked about. It's like, 1 week before it came out some peopel were like "oh a new turtles movie, cool"... then a week later no one cared anymore. It's like it came and went. Plus, the 2k3 toon was not as popular as the FW or the 2012 ones were, so no wonder its tie in movie was a mere blip in the radar in the grand scheme of things as well. Plus it came out in 2007 already when either the Ninja Tribunal or Fast Forward were already airing. By then, the show wasn't as hot anymore.

And ofc, a lot of people were like "WAIT, NO SHREDDER ,BEBOP, ROCKSTEADY AND KRANG?! **** IT"
Old 03-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
snake
Disgusting

Somehow I saw it in theaters in 2007. I "liked" TMNT at the time, but I'm surprised my parents knew that there was a movie out.

I remember waiting for a sequel, too- but it never came.

Still, 2007 is a very underrated piece of TMNT history. I genuinely like it more than 2k12 in some aspects.

Last edited by snake; 03-22-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Somehow I saw it in theaters in 2007. I "liked" TMNT at the time, but I'm genuinely surprised my parents knew that there was a movie out.

I remember waiting for a sequel, too- but it never came.

Still, 2007 is a very underrated piece of TMNT history. I genuinely like it more than 2k12 in some aspects.
Sometimes I feel like I am way too hard on it. It's less that it wasn't a decent, random TMNT movie... and more that it just wasn't anything near the movie it needed to be to kickstart anything meaningfully.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:38 PM   #9
snake
Disgusting

To be fair, I have no idea what they were going for either, but it's nice that the folks behind it were clearly fans. You don't get that covered up canister obscuring either TCRI/TGRI from people with only casual TMNT knowledge.

The Raph/Leo fight scene stuck with me- and seemingly everyone else who watched the movie- the most.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:42 AM   #10
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
To be fair, I have no idea what they were going for either, but it's nice that the folks behind it were clearly fans. You don't get that covered up canister obscuring either TCRI/TGRI from people with only casual TMNT knowledge.

The Raph/Leo fight scene stuck with me- and seemingly everyone else who watched the movie- the most.
Yeah I enjoy the movie solely bc of that fight. If the movie just had a better antagonist/villain it would have been leaps and bounds better.

Karia should have been the villian along with the foot clan or they could have done a city at war movie with different factions of the foot clan fighting and tearing up the city. The turtles come back together ect....

I know there were talks and even plans for a sequel movie along with a promotional poster released with Mikey by himself with shredder in the background, but it was scrapped in favor of a supposedly hardcore Mirage reboot and then the property got sold.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Yeah I enjoy the movie solely bc of that fight. If the movie just had a better antagonist/villain it would have been leaps and bounds better.

Karia should have been the villian along with the foot clan or they could have done a city at war movie with different factions of the foot clan fighting and tearing up the city. The turtles come back together ect....
Yeah, Karai in it seemed to exist to #1, get knocked down by April F***ing O'Neil, and #2, tell us that Shredder was coming back.

Quote:
I know there were talks and even plans for a sequel movie along with a promotional poster released with Mikey by himself with shredder in the background, but it was scrapped in favor of a supposedly hardcore Mirage reboot and then the property got sold.
True, but these things weren't connected. Imagi had their idea for a sequel that I think I read Peter was OK with (not entirely sure there)... then Imagi fell apart for unrelated reasons. Then years later Frank Fusco (yes, Fusco, not Fosco) wrote a draft of a live action reboot that Kevin Eastman told me was, "Like Batman Begins," "awesome," and "the best thing Turtles" that he's ever read or seen conceptualized. And yeah, that's about the time the sale happened... and everything got twisted.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:07 AM   #12
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, Karai in it seemed to exist to #1, get knocked down by April F***ing O'Neil, and #2, tell us that Shredder was coming back.

True, but these things weren't connected. Imagi had their idea for a sequel that I think I read Peter was OK with (not entirely sure there)... then Imagi fell apart for unrelated reasons. Then years later Frank Fusco (yes, Fusco, not Fosco) wrote a draft of a live action reboot that Kevin Eastman told me was, "Like Batman Begins," "awesome," and "the best thing Turtles" that he's ever read or seen conceptualized. And yeah, that's about the time the sale happened... and everything got twisted.
Kevin Eastman or Peter Laird???? I thought only Laird was involved with TMNT at that point?
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:10 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Kevin Eastman or Peter Laird???? I thought only Laird was involved with TMNT at that point?
Kevin sold his half of rights to Peter in 2000. But yes, he was involved in the Fusco incarnation in the same way he's involved with the IDW TMNT comics.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:14 AM   #14
snake
Disgusting

This is the first I’m hearing of the mirage-style movie planned before the sale. Anyone else have any more info on it?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Imagi is an all CG studio.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #16
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
This is the first I’m hearing of the mirage-style movie planned before the sale. Anyone else have any more info on it?
https://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot...all-about.html
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #17
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

I remember seeing YouTube videos of people on the streets auditioning to become Foot Soldiers. It's a shame that it all fell apart.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
I remember seeing YouTube videos of people on the streets auditioning to become Foot Soldiers. It's a shame that it all fell apart.
Weird, I don't remember any of that.

A few years ago someone mentioned here that a FW animated movie was planned around the time the show was ending. I wonder how it would have turned out. An epic final battle between the Turtles and Shredder & Krang?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #19
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Weird, I don't remember any of that.
Found it. It was during the 25th anniversary in 2009. Speaking of which, I don't remember the 30th anniversary having as big of a hype as the 25th one. Aside from the IDW comic, it just came and went. Hopefully, the 35th anniversary is different.

The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #20
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
Found it. It was during the 25th anniversary in 2009. Speaking of which, I don't remember the 30th anniversary having as big of a hype as the 25th one. Aside from the IDW comic, it just came and went. Hopefully, the 35th anniversary is different.
In retrospect, I feel like a lot of the 25th anniversary effort was put together to help make the TMNT "saleable." I wouldn't be surprised if there were Nickelodeon suits watching the general interest that the events they held garnered. Especially at the Turtles Forever screening that was at Comic-Con that year.

Thank you for the YouTube link to that audition video - I don't think I've seen that before. I always felt bad for those people because a lot of them traveled from far away for that (some from overseas), and the fact that they held it on an open street instead of a proper facility made it pretty obvious that it was a publicity stunt instead of a true tryout.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote