The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #81
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's not great but 3 is the only one that bothers to try and be a Star Trek movie. But even then there is still edgy Abrams crap.
After they crapped the bed by shoehorning in 1-dimensional versions of Khan, Section 31, Carol Marcus, and the magic Augment blood, they lost any chance of ever getting me to watch anything made by JJ Abrams ever again.

It's popular to dislike, say, M. Night or somebody, but I've got a blood vendetta against Abrams. That man has a lot to answer for.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #82
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I actually kinda like Star Trek Beyond but that's only because it tried to tell a new story that wasn't a rehash or stuff it already seen before.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #83
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
After they crapped the bed by shoehorning in 1-dimensional versions of Khan, Section 31, Carol Marcus, and the magic Augment blood, they lost any chance of ever getting me to watch anything made by JJ Abrams ever again.

It's popular to dislike, say, M. Night or somebody, but I've got a blood vendetta against Abrams. That man has a lot to answer for.
That's fair. I can respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I actually kinda like Star Trek Beyond but that's only because it tried to tell a new story that wasn't a rehash or stuff it already seen before.
And there was the whole 50th anniversary thing it was riding, too. The moment with Kirk holding the photo from Star Trek VI of the whole cast was touching... albeit, an actual visual reminder of how far Star Trek has strayed from Trek. It was fun seeing the Enterprise uniforms and an NX-01-like ship.

And what a bad ending for Spock Prime. He gets marooned in an alternate, shi**y timeline trying to save the damn Romulans just in time to watch his own homeworld get blown up by a Romulan... then he dies of old age surrounded by strangers. I'd say that's a significantly worse death than Kirk's.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #84
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Wow, I thought for sure that this was dead. I never thought Pine would return after what happened.

Quote:
Paramount is beaming up a new captain for its Star Trek franchise. Noah Hawley, who is best known for TV's Fargo and Legion, will direct the next Trek film for Paramount, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

It is expected that Chris Pine will reprise his role as Captain James T. Kirk alongside his castmates such as Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana who have been with the series since J.J. Abrams revamped the franchise in 2009. This fourth Star Trek stands separate from one that Quentin Tarantino has been attached to for two years.

Paramount had been developing a fourth installment after 2016’s Star Trek Beyond and had hoped to be in production earlier this year. But after developing a time travel-themed script that would reunite Pine's Kirk with his father (Chris Hemsworth), negotiations with Pine and Hemsworth fell apart in summer 2018. Paramount was trying to keep costs contained but the initial deals for the actors playing the Enterprise crew had run out and new, more expensive, deals were on the table. Talks never resumed and the project was shelved.

S.J. Clarkson was attached to helm Trek 4 at the time and would have become the first woman in the franchise's history to direct a Trek film.

Hawley is a respected mind in the genre space and won an outstanding miniseries Emmy for Fargo's first season in 2014. A fourth season is on the way with Chris Rock in the lead. Hawley also directed the feature Lucy in the Sky, which starred Natalie Portman, and was developing a script based on the Marvel villain Doctor Doom for Fox before the studio was purchased by Disney.

Hawley will produce Trek 4 via his 26 Keys banner along with Bad Robot, the production banner run by Abrams, who helmed the first two installments of this current Trek incarnation.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...t-film-1256352
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #85
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

F***, and that's going to delay the Tarantino movie (if there's to be one).
Old 11-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #86
IMJ
Emperor

Given how much fun ST Beyond was (especially measured against the first two), I can't believe they don't bring the Fast and the Furious guy back. Beyond was a standout against the other two Abrams-verse flicks.

Anyway, we've still got Picard coming out. I am so jazzed.......
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #87
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Given how much fun ST Beyond was (especially measured against the first two), I can't believe they don't bring the Fast and the Furious guy back.
He was an "it" guy at the moment of Beyond and probably wasn't cheap. That, and Beyond made 100 million less than the last couple.

Meanwhile, he's quietly gone back to making Fast and Furious movies. Which there's nothing wrong with. 4, 5, and 6 were great.

Quote:
Anyway, we've still got Picard coming out. I am so jazzed.......
I am... even though I'm terrified the Kurtzman factor is going to make it horrible.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:03 PM   #88
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

No more Star Trek movies. Star Trek does not make good 21st century cinema without sacrificing everything that MAKES it Star Trek.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #89
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
No more Star Trek movies.
No, not until they rebuild some good faith. Let's start with Picard. Prove to us you know what you're doing, then maybe we can talk about Star Trek movies again.

Because man, this seems like 2 steps forward and 1 step back.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #90
newfan
Mad Scientist

This seems to have been up in the air for a while now, the other one has too.

I also preferred Beyond out of the 3, with declining numbers going to watch that though can we expect 4 to suddenly be very successful? With the Tarantino idea being something a little different that may have got more interest?
I will see this if it happens though, or the Tarantino one if that happens.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #91
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
No more Star Trek movies. Star Trek does not make good 21st century cinema without sacrificing everything that MAKES it Star Trek.
That's always been the way with Star Trek.

All the 'good' Star Trek movies don't really resemble the shows their based on all that much and some of the ones that attempted it were considered poor because of it.

Ron Moore acknowledged this when he said Star Trek's true home was television as with movies you have to up the stakes, those stakes need to be something casual audiences will care about (like Earth) and you need a proper villain (like the Borg suddenly having a Queen). It can't just be a movie were the Enterprise goes into an unexplored territory and gets into an ethical conflict with the locals; ie Insurrection which I don't hate or anything but doesn't really work as a movie.

Personally if they are going to stick with the Abramsverse in the movies have original series species that have permeated wider pop culture but the subsequent series largely ignored like say the Gorn or the Tholians. Have the two species fight it out for the Guardian of Forever with the new Enterprise caught in the middle.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #92
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Said to be smaller in scale, less costly to make:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he..._medium=social
Old 12-30-2019, 03:35 PM   #93
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Interesting... Simon Pegg doesn't believe this movie is going to involve his cast.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/...P-DerD5iEtJJ9w
Old 01-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Straight up said to be standalone, and probably Prime universe:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/hawleys...is-standalone/
Old 01-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #95
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Straight up said to be standalone, and probably Prime universe:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/hawleys...is-standalone/
I still don't think Star Trek should be left unattended in Tarantino's care... skeptical...
Old 01-10-2020, 08:54 PM   #96
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I still don't think Star Trek should be left unattended in Tarantino's care... skeptical...
This isn't the Tarantino one.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #97
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
This isn't the Tarantino one.
Wait, what? I'm confused now.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #98
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Wait, what? I'm confused now.
Basically Tarantino may or may not still do one, but meanwhile a new 4th movie is being made with a reduced budget from what they were working with and won't have anything to do with the Abrams movies.

I'm thinking it will be some notable "event" from some point in Trek history. Probably still dicking around in Kirk'n Spock era.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #99
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Basically Tarantino may or may not still do one, but meanwhile a new 4th movie is being made with a reduced budget from what they were working with and won't have anything to do with the Abrams movies.

I'm thinking it will be some notable "event" from some point in Trek history. Probably still dicking around in Kirk'n Spock era.
Prime now, with a new cast? Or the nuTrek cast, but in Prime?

Seems like they should wait, let Picard happen, and then do a 25th century Avengers type team-up... Seven, the Doctor, Worf, Geordi, Kira, Bashir, Dax.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #100
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Prime now, with a new cast? Or the nuTrek cast, but in Prime?
From the sound of the director, definitely Prime. Cast, all we know is that the existing cast are saying they don't think they're in it. Coupled with the article about them looking to shoot it at a smaller budget supports that (especially with that being what froze it when it was still the one with Hemsworth, with Pine wanting more money).

Quote:
Seems like they should wait, let Picard happen, and then do a 25th century Avengers type team-up... Seven, the Doctor, Worf, Geordi, Kira, Bashir, Dax.
Why wait? This movie is two years off, at least.

Tags
discuckery and pukard